Page 23 of 77 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I enjoyed THEOL as a cheesy pop-rock album though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    RE: Manson's poor form since HW: After seeing Ministry's 99 percent video I now know it could be so, so much worse.

I'm still really looking forward to BV, and the beauty of the digital age is that I can swap out the cover.jpg for any one of my choosing and not look at the 'official' one.

No Reflection, doesn't seem like the typical single either I thought he would lead off the 'new era' with the generic Manson single like Arma..., Mobscene, Rock is Dead etc.

The hint of spooky kids/portrait influence in bot No Refection and Overneath is also another thing to look forward to.

I'm not expecting it to be better than ACSS or MA but something to equal portrait will suffice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The single does seem pretty generic Manson like Armageddon, Beautiful, Disposable, etc. to me but I like it.

I don't expect the album to come near Portrait, ACSS or MA but I enjoy EMDM and THEOL and know that we are in a different period of Manson these days. He is not the same person and there's no way he could stay that same person forever. No one does, we all change and evolve.

Manson is a broken person still, it looks to me. I don't know him so I think he may be very happy and seem well at times but I just get the vibe he's very broken still. I think that's something a lot of people can relate to, especially Manson fans, and if you can't well good for you, you're a very rare case.

I know I feel like a broken person sometimes. So many people feel that way, a lot of struggles and heartache, Manson's music does a good job at empowering people I think. I think he's a smart person and even though he's not the greatest example sometimes he's still able to get some good points across.

So sure, Manson's songs might not always be the most technical or brilliantly written songs, but if they make you feel good, empowered, want to stand up, dance, be active, rock out, whatever, that's what is important. So many hit songs, take Rock And Roll All Nite by KISS for example, aren't necessarily that impressive feats but they get a crowd going and the song sticks in your head and you feel like rocking.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Regarding the team up with Rammstein.

Manson's performance here was so piss poor in comparison to Rammstein i mean they're the shining artists here in my opinion and have aged very well. It's not a competition and I'm not trying to pick sides, i like a lot of Manson's older material and select new stuff but as far as his concert presence it's just shot to shit, he's so breathy now and tired looking, he can barely sing his songs decently anymore, sure he lets out a few screeches here and there but that doesn't make up for anything. Look at the performance of Rammstein, so much more energy and presence and professionalism and they're not even moving around the stage anywhere (kinda hard to move around stationed at the drums and keys but in regards to Paul, Richard, Ollie).

Actually at one point it looked like Manson while appearing to stupor around was going to do a face plant. Sloppy, just sloppy.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-24-2012 at 03:04 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Ain't it dead yet?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet of the apes View Post
    @hobo skinny puppy reference on a nails board, ballsy and full of win!!!

As for Manson's size. I dont think people realize how tall he is. I am six foot six and as my twenties came to an end I filled out. Manson is obviously not taking care of himself, and I think he looks pretty good considering how bad he could look. Not everyone is five foot five and able to maintain that douche bag, sitting in a coffe shop ''Im a poet'' look forever.
    Qoute of the day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    In Manson's defense, his live voice has never been great, his stage presence always meant that it didn't matter what he sounded like.
    Recently though he looks like a 40+ year old trying to do what he did and sing like he did in his 20s.

Some artists, like Trent for example, can recognize they aren't 26 anymore and change enough that it still sounds vital and able to perform with the same intensity.

Imagine if Trent tried to recreate the Woodstock (or any Self Destruct era) show today, it would look pathetic.

I don't think Manson doesn't know this, but I don't think he has figured out anything else he can do. It doesn't help that he doesn't play any instruments and live role has always been 'be Marilyn Manson'... Other than stopping all touring, doing only select shows and making albums, I don't know what else he could do either.

Personally I don't like Gary Numan live these days, but his albums are great and that's how I'm going to take Manson from now on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm still pissed about the Trent and Manson fallout. Manson basically betrayed Trent after using him like a fucking tampon to get where he wanted. Then he played him for a fool by ditching him and becoming more popular. What the hell kind of friend is that? Born Villain? Yeah, he's a villain, alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    fuck.

it's 1998 again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antiskum View Post
    fuck.

it's 1998 again
    I know, I know. This is all old stuff. That still doesn't make it any more fair that Manson is getting so much press lately. Trent should be getting all the accolades, not Marilyn fucking Manson.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krogan Warlord View Post
    That still doesn't make it any more fair that Manson is getting so much press lately. Trent should be getting all the accolades...
    Manson's on tour and promoting a new album and Reznor won a fucking Oscar, ffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So did Phil Collins and Prince but that doesn't make me want to rush out and buy anything. Trent should be more popular, but Manson overshadowed him just like Snoop did to Dre and Eminem did to...well, Dre.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Trent should be more popular, but Manson overshadowed him

This is only true if you're hanging around with angsty 14 year olds. And even THEN, that's debatable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well Googling "Trent Reznor" I got 6,190,000 results.

"Nine Inch Nails" was 22,900,000.

"Marilyn Manson" yielded 38,900,000.

That's more than NIN and Trent combined.

Also, "Phil Collins" was 24,500,000. /debate

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    People really think Manson is more 'relevant' than Trent...?

Maybe a decade ago. Maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's the Gaga factor. She had him on that stupid remix and now all of a sudden everybody thinks Manson is the cat's meow. All of that fame and fortune should be Trent's and Trent's alone. All of it. It's not fucking fair, that's all I'm saying.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Are you drunk? Where on earth is Manson "the cat's meow"?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Are you drunk? Where on earth is Manson "the cat's meow"?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Dude, he used Phil Collins in his argument. We are not worthy of this bastion of pop culture in here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In places that have Google?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never looked at it that way before. Thanks, man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the only talk of manson in the media these days is in reference to his weight problem, his awful live show, or the possibility of him dating someone more relevant/popular than he is now.

in contrast, the press are far more favorable towards trent reznor, treating him as a legend.

just give pitchfork a search for both artists and see what comes up. if they aren't the 'taste-makers' of recent times, i don't know who are.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    This recent convo is juvenile.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    You're measuring the relevancy of Trent Reznor by the Google hits of Marilyn Manson. The problem is not Trent Reznor's. It is yours.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Whoa whoa wait. At what point did this thread even enter the realm of defending Trent Reznor against Marilyn Manson?? REALLY? I'm pretty sure Britney Spears will pull up more Google hits than Picasso. Ask me which one is more culturally relevant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    You're measuring the relevancy of Trent Reznor by the Google hits of Marilyn Manson. The problem is not Trent Reznor's. It is yours.
    So you admit that I'm right?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    There's a whole lot of trolling going on...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Dammit I was under the assumption that you were just someone who was delusional enough to think that a washed up guy who was famous a decade ago and hasn't released anything worthy of listening to more than once was cool, but now it's leaning more towards troll behavior. Disappointing. Oh, and the last time I saw NIN was in Seattle at Key Arena which was sold out in minutes. Saw MM the same year back home here in Vancouver at a venue called the Queen Elizabeth Theatre. A venue which is normally held for smaller acts and mid-level bands. It was half empty. Do people even fail to realize that at the PEAK of both acts' popularity, NIN was still the bigger draw, or is it just me?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krogan Warlord View Post
    So you admit that I'm right?
    ????? I'm saying you're using failed reasoning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyway, that was fun. Born villain.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Exhausted troll is exhausted.