Page 19 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    As i'm trying to listen to all the MM albums, I was wondering what was the "general concensus" about what are the best songs off EMDM and THEOL.
    Asking that question here is probably going to warrant a bunch if "those 2 albums are terrible, don't waste your time, go listen to something pre Golden Age".
    However, Although they are his weakest albums, there are a couple decent tracks on there in my opinion.

The only songs off EMDM I like are Putting holes in happiness, Red Carpet Grave, Mutiliation is the most sincere form of flattery, you me and the devil makes 3, and "Eat Me Drink Me". The title track being the best of the bunch in my opinion.

As for THEOL, All the songs were pretty equal there, looking at the tracklist, nothing really jumps out. I'd say the opening song, Devour is a decent track. Probably Unkillable Monster, Wight Spider and Blank and White would probably top off my other faviourtes.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Ma favourite: Spade, Para-noir, The Bright Young Things and I Have to Look Up Just to See Hell. Not much.
    Oh wait I missed EMDM. I can only think of Evidence.

Overall, I have ho problem with TGAOG as it was the first MM album I discovered back in 2003 even before the earlier albums (except a few singles), so it's just a part of nostalgia for me.
    Last edited by fillow; 03-12-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    As i'm trying to listen to all the MM albums, I was wondering what was the "general concensus" about what are the best songs off EMDM and THEOL.
    I love every track from EMDM, but I'd say Evidence, Eat Me, Drink Me, and Red Carpet Grave.

As for THEOL, Devour, Four Rusted Horses, WOW, and We're From America.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    My recommendations of EMDM and THEOL:

Putting Holes in Happiness
    The Red Carpet Grave
    They Said That Hell's Not Hot
    Evidence
    EAT ME, DRINK ME

Devour
    Four Rusted Horses (both versions)
    Blank and White
    Wight Spider
    I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell
    Into The Fire

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Unkillable Monster
    Ugh I fucking hate that song. it's so shitty.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 03-12-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    From TGAOG I still enjoy "Use Your Fist and Not Your Mouth", "Para-noir", "Spade", "(s)AINT" and "Vodevil"...

For me EMDM has only two stand out tracks
    - "Evidence" and "EAT ME, DRINK ME".

THEOL - "Devour", "Blank and white", "I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell" and the acoustic version of "Into The Fire".

Last edited by decadent; 03-12-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Four Rusted Horses (both versions)
    there's another version?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    there's another version?

It's much better imo.

Also, I'm relistening to Portrait Of An American Family. I forgot how much of a masterpiece this album is.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    http://asitlays.com/marilyn-manson/

cool interview series my friend does the scores for. This one's with manson. Sort of a departure from his usual interviews.... i think...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    ^ Fuckin' awesome, thanks!

10 minutes in, he's being pretty hilarious.
    Last edited by Harry Seaward; 03-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    someone needs to tell Marilyn Manson that he is not funny. I know it want a serious interview to begin with, but shit,

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    someone needs to tell Marilyn Manson that he is not funny. I know it want a serious interview to begin with, but shit,
    I thought that shit was hilarious.

He's done quite a few 'serious' interviews recently, so a humorous one was more than welcomed.

"I'm allergic to breasts, I break out in erections."

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    the estonia bit was funny, but the rest was whatever, but his puns just hit the mark.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Maybe that's why the thread is going so wrong. We need some apathetic balance!
    Dude. Don't cut off my quotes. I was saying that it was OK to have strong opinions. I was also saying it wasn't OK to bully others.

Anyway, I liked Mechanical Animals the best. Everything else has fallen short for me on the scale of being great and being mediocre. I know he's still trying to shock people, but the effect has diminished.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Twiggy either needs more gain or be turned up on the mix, because Fred's bass is just drowning him out most of the times.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    The minute-longer version of 'No Reflection' sounds way better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i remember being here before THEOL came out and all the leaked tracks and such. there were sooo many different versions of songs, unfinished songs, etc. was quite interesting to see everything that hardcore fans were digging up.i must say, the second i heard No Reflection, i immediately thought "this is way better than his last 3 albums put together." i hope this will be a great return to form for him. the other song is pretty good as well, No Reason or whatever it's called. can't wait to hear the finished version of that. cheers!also, i agree, the longer version of No Reflection is better
    Last edited by mrvirginia; 03-13-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After giving " No Reason " a few good listens I went back and listened to THEOL completely and IMHO " No Reason" is something that could've been on THEOL. Musically and lyrically it would fit in and to me, that's a good thing. I like THEOL and don't want Manson to try and redo ACS or Holywood. Artists need to move forward and change with the times and their own personas.

I hate when bands put out the same album over and over such as Bad Religion or the Ramones, BTW.... I like the Ramones

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    After downright hating it for years, I decided to give TGAOG a spin recently and... it kind of rocks. At least the second half of it does, and I think that's part of the reason I was so sure I hated it for so long, I don't think I was ever able to get to the end because I hated the first half so much, mainly for the lyrics obviously. So after listening to the last bunch of songs a bunch of times I've changed my opinion and EMDM is now the only really bad Manson album IMO. Did I mention I love No Reflection?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I hated the first half so much, mainly for the lyrics obviously.
    ???

The lyrics were the best part of The Golden Age Of Grotesque.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hold the 's' because I am an ain't.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    ???

The lyrics were the best part of The Golden Age Of Grotesque.
    I don't know man, I just feel like he's been trying too hard to write edgy and witty lyrics while just coming off as kind of goofy and silly. There haven't been any real stand-out songs lyric-wise since Holy Wood, for me at least but to each his own. I dig the lyrics to No Reflection though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Just downloaded the longer version of No Reflection. This version is way better with the extended intro.

What does he say about 4 seconds in? "How else do I fight...."? I can't quite hear it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    any chance one of you folks could send me a pm pointing me to the extended version? all i'm finding are radio rips with some idiot talking at the beginning.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    where can I download it without over paying for it?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    any chance one of you folks could send me a pm pointing me to the extended version? all i'm finding are radio rips with some idiot talking at the beginning.
    http://jollyeasyzebra.tumblr.com/pos...tion-4-36-born

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I like it alot more really.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    where can I download it without over paying for it?

iTunes.

C'mon, it's worth at least a buck twenty-nine!

:)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I will buy the album like I have been doing since 95. But I dont think one track is worth that at all. maybe 50 cents.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I realized for me at least, that it's the choruses that kill his stuff. The only songs that sounded passionate to me on the last release were Devour, We're from america and 15. Other than those, everything just comes off as going through the motions. He really needs to stop trying to have a hit or something "edgy" and just makes something sincere.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Agreed. I don't need to buy the same song twice plus I hate iTunes so I stole the single and I'll buy the CD.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk