Page 53 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2288

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    "You and me and the devil makes 3"?, Spinal Tap could have written better song-titles.

I agree with most of what you said. But 'You and me and the devil makes three' is from an old folk song

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I agree with most of what you said. But 'You and me and the devil makes three' is from an old folk song
    didn't knew that, thanks!, still sounds a bit Spinal Tapish, LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the drums are really lame on EMDM and really on THEOL and BV as well. The guitars make EMDM really good to me.

THEOL is a great record for Leave A Scar, Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin-Geddon, IWTKYLTDITM, and I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell.

I also enjoy Four Rusted Horses, We're From America, Into The Fire and 15, so to me it's a solid record and the amount of songs I enjoy over EMDM makes me listen to it more than that one.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think "If I was Your Vampire" is a lame title for a song, and personally I was disappointed that MM ventured into that sort of imagery - part of the cool thing about Manson is that it has a sort of punk rock basis in reality - it's not cradle of filth or whatever, he's meant to be a real person. Yes even when he's an alien called omega and I know he wasn't saying he was actually a vampire, but it just rang unmansonish to my ears

but! I quite like the song. and to be honest there isn't a song on EMDM I dislike, whereas theol has some proper snoozers and cringeworthy moments. It is true that EMDM is the streamlined poppified version of MM, but then MM was never Coil or Masonna to begin with so I don't think it was such a bad thing he pushed in that direction

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Nice to see some very honest opinions in this thread.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Nice to see some very honest opinions in this thread.
    Yes, for once.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I bought EMDM on the day of release and I think I shelved it after listening to it twice. I went back to it in anticipation of BV after not having listened to hardly ANY Manson for awhile, and I found quite a few tracks on EMDM that I liked, and I'm kind of pissed I didn't invest more in it when I first picked it up. I really felt like I cheated myself especially when I heard Evidence, because that song is fucking awesome. One of my favorite Manson songs. I did the same for THEOL . . . downloaded it, listened to it once on a road trip, hated it, and deleted it. I downloaded it again after I gave EMDM another chance and ended up liking it a lot, even more so than EMDM as a whole, and I just ordered the CD last night. Can't have a hole in the collection

For me, Manson has become a bit like NIN. Every album is enjoyable, it's just jarring because there's a vast difference between each, and not all of them fit my mood all the time. I didn't care for BV much upon first listen either, but I just put it on repeat and gave it a chance and I love it.
    Last edited by MrSlfDstruct; 05-03-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    so after a few listens, I have to say that I like this album. Its a pretty solid Manson album. The Gardener is the only one i really tend to skip. Still doesnt beat his first 4, but its still a good album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Besides being sort of "downer" albums and Manson's vocals being in that style that he started with EMDM, I don't find THEOL and EMDM to be very similar at all. EMDM seemed like an intentionally slooow, sludgey contemporary pop album. It was consistent in theme and tone.

THEOL was the opposite. While still being a downer, it was stylistically all over the place. Many find that to be it's fatal flaw, but I think it's cool. The first time I listened it sounded like every song was from a different genre in music since the 60s, almost like it represented some sort of timeline translated through Manson's slightly "off" or "broken" style. Each track seems like some sort of "what if Marilyn Manson had been a (insert genre here) band back in (insert year here)?"

At any rate, I liked EMDM more than GAOG (which is my least favorite) and I liked THEOL better than EMDM, which is pretty much the exact opposite of the order that most would place those records in.<br><br>And Born Villain is the best since Mechanical Animals to me, mainly because Holy Wood is as dreary as Manson albums get. Holy Wood sounds the way it feels when you find a bloated, dead dog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    BV is a very good album.
    I'm quite surprise, since I thought it'll suck.

But the front cover.
    Please, come on... you could've done MUCH better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I agree, the album art and packaging as a whole is lackluster. Good thing what's inside makes up for it!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The Cover is awful

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Rumors of Manson and Rob Zombie touring together this fall are floating around.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/..._for_tour.html

I'd pay good money to see this tour, Rob will blow Manson's act out of the water, but I still think it's a good double-bill if it happens.
    Even more interesting is John5 and Ginger Fish are both in Rob's backing band now, makes you wonder if there would be an old school reunion on stage with Manson and the boys?

It almost seems to good to be true, but with Manson adding some Canadian dates in mid august, I can only speculate a full blown North American tour is set to follow in September/October so this might actually happen.

If you asked me before I listened to Born Villain if I would hit up a Manson show if he came to my town I would have said no. Based on THEOL tour, and him basically not trying or giving a shit that whole tour I would have said no fuckin' way, I never even saw that tour, I wasn't spending my money on that tour, as the album was garbage and the videos I saw were him just belting out random nonsense. But since hearing Born Villain, and actually checking out some youtube preformances of the new tour, he's not as bad as he was on the last tour. And dare I saw it, I really enjoy Born Villain, I think it would be a good show actually.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 05-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I quite enjoy both Zombie and Manson, but I dislike this rumor for a few reasons.

1. Like you said, Zombie will blow Manson's show out of the water.
    2. This means the Fall shows will probably take place in big arenas, as opposed to smaller more intimate clubs.
    3. This pretty much means visiting Reno is out of the question. ;_;

But we'll see if it's even true.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Personally, i'd rather see Manson in an environment where there are no goddamn chairs for once.
    2/3 shows I have been to, he has played these god-awful mid-sized theatres with bolted seats to the ground, so you had to stay confined to your 1 ft by 1 ft space and rock out by yourself with everyone else stuck in their 1 ft by 1 ft space as well. Nonsense!

It's a Manson show, a Manson show should be experienced in absolute utter chaos!

A Puscifer show, OK... That works in a seated theatre, not a Manson show!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Personally, i'd rather see Manson in an environment where there are no goddamn chairs for once.
    2/3 shows I have been to, he has played these god-awful mid-sized theatres with bolted seats to the ground, so you had to stay confined to your 1 ft by 1 ft space and rock out by yourself with everyone else stuck in their 1 ft by 1 ft space as well. Nonsense!

It's a Manson show, a Manson show should be experienced in absolute utter chaos!

A Puscifer show, OK... That works in a seated theatre, not a Manson show!
    Huh, I hadn't heard of that. I'm pretty sure all the 2012 shows have had floor tickets.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Maybe it's a Canada thing. I saw him in 2000 for the Holywood tour in Toronto and it was at a seated venue called Massey Hall.
    Then I saw him in Fargo, ND during the "lest we forget" tour and it was an open floor venue.
    In 2007 was the 3rd and final time I saw him in Vancouver, BC and it was at a place called The Queen Elizabeth theatre, and by hearing the name, you are 100% safe to assume it was a seated venue as well.

Actually, now that i've given it some more thought i'm starting to think it is a Canadian thing... I remember when he came to Winnipeg in 1997 for the ACSS tour they played a seated venue there as well called The Burton Cummings Theatre (I never saw this show, but remember going past the venue and seeing all the people dressed in black and the protesters outside, I was only 14 and wasn't really a fan at that point, just saw whatever was played on Much Music like sweet dreams and the beautiful people. what I would give to have went to that show now, haha).

Funny thing is, I actually became a fan the following year, it was in May or June 1998. I met a friend in my class who introduced me to the album and made me buy it, I was hooked and all ready and pumped for the release of Mechanical Animals in a couple months.

What shocked me the most is when the Dope Show video came out, I had such a hard time beleiving it was the same guy who did ACSS. Those were the good old days, haha.

I remember getting in shit at school for wearing the Mechanical Animals T-shirt with the Naked genderless Manson image. They also banned that "Kill your Mom, kill your dad etc..." shirt from school. This one kid got suspended for a week for wearing it to school.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Rob Zombie/Manson can't do arenas. maybe in podunk markets that have venues called arenas but only hold 6000, but not big cities. they'll do big clubs...4000 people or so.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Rob Zombie/Manson can't do arenas. maybe in podunk markets that have venues called arenas but only hold 6000, but not big cities. they'll do big clubs...4000 people or so.
    Semantics I'd say. The point being, they won't be doing small intimate venues, which sucks.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    really strange... in London (UK) no (or at least very few) venues have seats down the front, no matter what the size. MM used to play the big arenas here (docklands, NEC, Wembley. Although never the 02, disappointingly), but now he plays the 02 academies. Brixton is sort of medium sized but no seats down the front. the floor also slopes with the stage being at the bottom, which is a good idea on paper (you always get a good view) but does make for a squeeze down the front as people gradually condense

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He looks like he's really enjoying himself and giving it his all, watched a couple of songs from that show.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Manson on the No Reflection video:
    “I really like the video for ‘No Reflection,’” he says. “I’m really proud of it. It was written as a sarcastic view of my life. With the girls in my life, there’s the one that you pick and she poisons all the rest, then as you try to save the one you pick, she poisons herself, so you have to kill her and then you’re left alone. That is a very wide metaphor for everything that’s happened in my life. You make choices and sometimes you pick the wrong one, for the wrong reasons.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thought Born Villain was more or less bland then HEOTL and EMDM. I accepted that this is a new Manson, and a new band. Some people say that the cons weigh out the pros on these albums but it was a solid effort. Sometimes it felt like he made Born Villain just to give out more material but, even if he spent 5 years on an album. How relevant would it be? If he cut the fillers and just kept stand out tracks, how many amazing songs has he done in the last 10 years? I generally enjoy the majority of last decades catalogue but more on a good-great level, not a great to fantastic level as 2000 and prior.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Manson on the No Reflection video:
    That's interesting but...I hope he isn't talking about Dita. She left him because of the booze, drugs, and cheating. She didn't poison herself. Isn't she dating royalty now?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    considering she's getting naked during cruise ship performances now, i doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.justjared.com/2009/06/07/...ses-boyfriend/
    She is dating an aristocrat. Not quite royalty I guess.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Besides Missi, I found Dita to be his best significant other.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rant by Lamb of God guy about sales of this album. Has he missed the point though that by being independent all of the money goes to the artist rather than a percentage?

http://www.antiquiet.com/truth/2012/...arilyn-manson/