Page 52 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2288

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've been diving into the album, I find there are a few I skip, not because they are bad or I don't like them, but because I'm a bit 'over them' (Hey Cruel World, No Reflection, Disengaged). Disengaged annoys me a little bit as the verses are just a reworking of the Evidence verse, and Evidence was fine the way it was - one of the stronger songs on EMDM.

Flowers of Evil and Children of Cain have grown on me a lot and I really dig the title track.

The reviews have been pretty good so far as well. Hopefully what ever comes next (assuming he doesn't die) builds on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    Hopefully what ever comes next (assuming he doesn't die) builds on this.
    Don't worry. I'm pretty sure that if he were to die he'd come back to life after a while.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Wow, cool!

Jeez did that song evolve. Anyone got a rip?

Good to hear the album grew. I felt that might be the case on first listen. There's a lot more to it than the last 2 albums. I actually listened to EMDM today and that went the opposite way - seemed good when it came out because it was different but it's actually fucking terrible, gotta say, i'm glad Skold is gone even though he was fucking badass live. I cringe when I hear some of the songs on it now and i'm a huge Manson fan. I'm glad Manson's pretty much disowned it. THEOL was a step in the right direction but it was a bit comical, Born Villian is a lot more serious and convincing and packs a lot more punch.
    Last edited by voidnz; 05-02-2012 at 04:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://offliberty.com/

That site let's you download stuff off SoundCloud.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    agree with this album being a grower, hated Children of Cain, now it's my top 5 fave tracks.

1. Breaking the Same Old Ground
    2. Pistol Whipped
    3. Born Villain
    4. Hey Cruel World...
    5. Children of Cain

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    still listening to this, and i've grown very attatched to Hey Cruel World, Born Villain, and Children of Cain. i still can't stand Pistol Whipped or Slo-Mo-Tion; i think it's unfortunately time for me to just wipe those off of my iPod. at this point, i don't think those two are going to grow on me. the others i'm still on the fence about. sometimes i skip them, sometimes i let them play. much different experience than High End of Low; that album, i enjoyed most of the tracks on a certain level, but i just stopped listening to it after a while, and now the only tracks i really ever play are Devour, Leave a Scar, and into the Fire. so... i don't know. at least this album's challenged me a little. i'm going to keep spinning it and see if my taste changes at all.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    wait, everyone is aware this is actually terrible, right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's really more than I'd come to expect from him in 2012. It's pop rock, it's not going to be an earth-shattering masterpiece. I think it's a decent and entertaining record. Certainly better than the last 3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just listened to the new album all the way through, and it was really hard to fight the urge to stop listening. This album is beyond horrible - it's easily MM's worst offering yet. Ugh, Born Villain blows. Uninspiring guitars, cheesy lyrics with forced word play, bland programmable drums, etc., etc. Jesus, what happened to this guy? (Rhetorical question.)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uneven Stephen View Post
    I just listened to the new album all the way through, and it was really hard to fight the urge to stop listening. This album is beyond horrible - it's easily MM's worst offering yet. Ugh, Born Villain blows. Uninspiring guitars, cheesy lyrics with forced word play, bland programmable drums, etc., etc. Jesus, what happened to this guy? (Rhetorical question.)
    agreed, I had to force myself to keep listening. maybe my tastes have just moved away from what he brings to the table, but it did feel legitimately *awful.* It's been years since I've really enjoyed Manson, but I've noticed that every album of his that comes out -- pretty much since back to Holy Wood -- is somehow described as a "return to form" or "comeback." It happens to other bands too. Its usually a pretty good sign there's nothing interesting on the record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hates gon hate. I really like Marla Mushma's new album.

Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    Disengaged annoys me a little bit as the verses are just a reworking of the Evidence verse, and Evidence was fine the way it was - one of the stronger songs on EMDM.
    I think you mean Pistol Whipped? The verses in that song sound identical to Evidence, Disengaged I hear absolutely no resemblance anywhere in the song.
    Last edited by Babali; 05-02-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    After a week of getting past what I wanted the album to sound like and other expectations, I've found it to be quite good. There's really only one song I'm just not into, and that's The Flowers of Evil, but everything else I'm really enjoying. Definitely better than EMDM and THEOL (which I've grown to like).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finally listened to it all the way through with headphones , excellent disc...not a song I would skip through. I liked HEOL but there were a few songs I just didn't like but this BV has no filler.

Godd job MM, I may even go see you live if you come around to the East Coast towards the end of the year.

downward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think he sounds so much more confident on this record and it really helps make it better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    born villain has no filler? it's almost entirely filler for me :\

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Why the fuck is this not available for download on amazon?
    I will not buy from itunes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloris View Post
    born villain has no filler? it's almost entirely filler for me :\
    The album kicks off sort of weak. While I enjoy No Reflection, Hey Cruel World... and Pistol Whipped are two of the more uninteresting tracks on the album. I found the Hey Cruel World... works pretty good to kick off a show in a live setting, so I do appreciate it at the beginning of the album for that reason, like the show is starting.

No Reflection is a decent pop song, I enjoy it enough, but I can see why some would think it's a bland song even for Manson. I disagree with this because it always comes down to personal preference. I enjoy such a vast variety of music and this album doesn't bother me at all.

The album REALLY starts to shine when you get to Overneath the Path of Misery, Slo-Mo-Tion, The Gardener and Flowers of Evil. The heart of the album, it's where the best stuff is.

Children of Cain and Disengaged are probably the songs that took the longest to grow on me. Children of Cain is alright, still hasn't completely grown on me, but I like the melody Manson sings with "sunday aids and church wine wash it away". And I also like the "fuck it" attitude of Disengaged. It really makes you feel "disengaged".

I found Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms to be one of the highlights of the album, if we go back to the body metaphor, LDYGA and MAGPED would be the penis area. I think Murderer's fucking kicks ass, the chorus hits hard "Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall on-your knees! I hear the horrid voices of someone else's angels." It just rocks to me.

Lastly we have Born Villain and Breaking The Same Old Ground, the butthole of the album or the feet that kick you in the balls. In this part Manson takes a dump on your soul. He literally rips out your stomach and fills it with his shit.

Once I realized all these things, the album became a 9/10 for me.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'm trying to like the new album. Normally, I sit down with a disc and listen start to finish - and if I'm struck with the overwhelming urge to either stop midway to repeat a song, or if something's stuck in my head afterward - it's the mark of a good disc.

I can't even get through this. I've listened to a song here and a song there just to try to give them all a chance, and sometimes, I can't even make it more than two minutes into a track. It's not that I think it's laughably bad...it's just not catching me musically, and I've definitely outgrown it lyrically. 10-15 years ago, I probably would have liked this. I'm kind of sad to come to that realization, because it makes me feel old. And I'm not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is the first Manson album I've listened to after the release date in a long time. After all the negative reactions and blatant trolling when the leak hit, I wasn't even sure I wanted to listen to it. I fucking like it though. I hate to use a NIN comparison, but it seems like his With Teeth. Kind of an unsure start to something different. Definitely his best since Holy Wood. It sounds like he actually had fun recording this and wasn't afraid to do whatever he wanted.

Side note: The intro to Overneath sounds like Salad Fingers.
    Last edited by Necrodoommonkey; 05-02-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    i still can't stand Pistol Whipped
    Damn I cannot be the only one who rates Pistol Whipped highly here right?
    Same with WOW and Evidence, they get lotsa hate but they are my fave tracks from their respective albums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    Damn I cannot be the only one who rates Pistol Whipped highly here right?Same with WOW and Evidence, they get lotsa hate but they are my fave tracks from their respective albums.
    Wow and Evidence are both awesome. Pistol Whipped seems kinda meh, but only because it's too repetitive. I did like that Manson connected pistol to pistil, like in a flower, which I completely didn't notice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babali View Post
    Hates gon hate. I really like Marla Mushma's new album.

I think you mean Pistol Whipped? The verses in that song sound identical to Evidence, Disengaged I hear absolutely no resemblance anywhere in the song.
    Your right - I was wrong, I meant verse of Are you the Rabbit? - don't know where I pulled Evidence from... I also think it sounds similar to the verses of Tweaker's 'Truth Is'... which is weird as Vrenna didn't write the song... might just be that beat...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    So I just heard part of a Manson + Johnny Depp (!?) cover of "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon… I don't know where to begin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was surprised to actually like the cover of You're So Vain. Actually, I was surprised to listen to Born Villain in it's entirety without cringing. In my opinion, this is the best thing he's done in the past ten years, and I love how polarizing this album has become. Everyone seems to think it's either the second coming or the death knell of his career.

I've been thinking about giving Eat Me Drink Me a chance. I never actually gave it a fair chance when it came out, but I've always thought If I Was Your Vampire was a pretty cool song, despite the lame title.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ^ it and the title track are pretty much the best EMDM offers, imo, so maybe try that one and see how it goes?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    "Eat Me, Drink Me" is the worst, i mean"Heart Shaped Glasses" was the single you can't expect a masterpiece

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I thought EMDM was a nice solid, melancholy pop-rock album. Sort of like later Cure. I was getting into the idea of MM mk.2 being him and Skold doing that sort of stuff.
    Really don't understand why it's cited as the nadir and yet The High End of Low is commonly described as being slightly better... for me it's a tatty, bloated version of EMDM. I love Twiggy and I wanted to believe... but I have to be honest

What is so bad about EMDM anyway? At least it isn't chocolate starfish and the age of grotesque. The "wah wah, my wife left me for perfectly understandable reasons" is pretty lame but it got worse on the next album. I thought heart shaped glasses was pretty cool & about a million times braver than mobscene

Cyclops is vintage but are you the rabbit is utter shit? Really don't understand

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I thought EMDM was a nice solid, melancholy pop-rock album. Sort of like later Cure. I was getting into the idea of MM mk.2 being him and Skold doing that sort of stuff.
    Really don't understand why it's cited as the nadir and yet The High End of Low is commonly described as being slightly better... for me it's a tatty, bloated version of EMDM. I love Twiggy and I wanted to believe... but I have to be honest

What is so bad about EMDM anyway? At least it isn't chocolate starfish and the age of grotesque. The "wah wah, my wife left me for perfectly understandable reasons" is pretty lame but it got worse on the next album. I thought heart shaped glasses was pretty cool & about a million times braver than mobscene

Cyclops is vintage but are you the rabbit is utter shit? Really don't understand
    Simple: the record is a diluted, decaffeinated, popish version of Manson, i got nothing against the main theme (relationships), but you gotta admit it came off as cheesy and forced, i mean just look at the song titles: "If i was your Vampire", "Putting holes on happiness", "They said that hell was not hot", "You and me and the devil makes 3"?, Spinal Tap could have written better song-titles.
    But my main issue comes with the music, Manson always had big riffs and good production i think that's the trademark that most of us love, and they were not just Reznor-produced Riffs, Hollywood and Mechanical Animals had awesome music, surprising arrangements and of course the riffs.
    "Eat Me, Drink Me" is mostly a solo record with Tim Skold, with safe riffs and boring production, it's Manson's pop record if you will. It could have been a good idea but it was badly executed, with an uninspired Manson trying to prove he can do something "different", the experiment came off as Manson's weakest material yet, "High End of Low" isn't a masterpiece either, but i think the music is slightly better this time, but just a bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Going through 2nd listen now. Very promising album. Slo-Mo-Tion is by far my favorite track.

Also I reiterate...

Is no one else blown away that SHIA LEBOUF from TRANSFORMERS directed the Born Villain promo video?
    I knew he was a good directed based on his Kid Cudi music vids but damn...I feel like I'm watching Closure 2.0

NSFW

WTF did i just watch?! jesus fucking christ...