Page 11 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Shot from the Feb 25th show.

Twiggy in a dress again in the background...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This is not the same guy from the 09 tour

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    No yeah I can get behind it, it's definitely an improvement...would I go out of my way to see it? Probably still not since I saw shows as far back as 1995 and there's just not as much energy which I'd want to see. I will say though, he sounds pretty good vocally, and should just bust his ass, get back in shape, and make another heavy as fuck album just to throw up a middle finger to the world. Maybe they should just stick to playing more ACSS/MA/POAAF stuff for good now and just dip in 1 or 2 newer songs max. I'd much rather want to watch that than 'If I Was Your Vampire'.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    [He] should just bust his ass, get back in shape, and make another heavy as fuck album just to throw up a middle finger to the world.
    Making another heavy album, and giving the middle finger to the world is exactly what he shouldn't do. Hasn't he been trying to do just that for the last decade plus with very poor results? It's probably too late anyway, but he should run away from goth, heavy metal, drugs and drink with both feet. Manson really could have been the next Bowie if he would have just grown out of the ridiculous 15 year old angst shit. No matter what he does, he'll never be as angry as he was when he made Antichrist Superstar. If the fire's not there, it's a dead pursuit.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My sentiment was along the lines of 'maybe that's all he's good for at this point'...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Right, but I'm saying he's not good for that anymore (the heavy metal, middle finger stuff). Maybe all he's good for at this point, at his best, is nostalgia for the 90s.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    well, to be fair, that song is the show opener... it's kind of hard to judge how well he'd hold up for an entire concert based on that. Still, yeah, he sounds better than he did at that last show I went to. That was just embarrassing.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Maybe he just doesn't give any energy to the new songs as he knows they suck. He does seem to preform his older material better.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    After watching the 2 videos posted here and a few more on youtube I can say that it seems he is doing better than the 2009 tour. But they still have a lot of shows to play, anything could happen. He could blow us away or take a turn for the worse. I for one am hoping for the best.
    Regarding the keyboards for the tour. Could they be using just backing tapes? I dont see anyone in the back of the stage besides the drummer. Plus a lot of bands do that, including NIN.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    There is no keyboardist any more.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    This is not the same guy from the 09 tour

Can we at least all agree that he at least sounds better than the taper?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So...what's the deal with this setlist? Was this a part of a festival? It doesn't appear to be. Was this one of those warm up shows that bands sometimes do where tickets are really cheap but they'll play a shortened set? That's not a full on show, is it? Eleven songs? That can't be right.

I'm honestly asking. I'm not even ripping on him for it (yet). But if that's a full blown show, at full price, then...wow.

Edit: Ok, I flipped back a page and saw some discussion on it. But I saw two different opinions- one person said it was part of a festival (short set understandable) and another person said it was a full blown show.
    Last edited by theruiner; 02-25-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    So...what's the deal with this setlist? Was this a part of a festival? It doesn't appear to be. Was this one of those warm up shows that bands sometimes do where tickets are really cheap but they'll play a shortened set? That's not a full on show, is it? Eleven songs? That can't be right.

I'm honestly asking. I'm not even ripping on him for it (yet). But if that's a full blown show, at full price, then...wow.
    Both shows he's played so far have been part of Soundwave, a festival.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Both shows he's played so far have been part of Soundwave, a festival.
    Same setlist was for two shows. One full-blown (indoor venue, sponsored by the festival organizers, 10.30pm start though with 3 opening acts), one at the actual festival (outdoor venue, 5.30pm-ish start).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah 55min set for an $80+ show is pretty poor. i get that it was probably a sort of rehearsal for the festival run, but what's the motivation to pay to see a sideshow when the setlist is no different from the festival?

to put that in perspective; $80 Australian = $85 US dollars, how often y'all Americans pay that for a show?
    the festival ticket was $175 btw
    Last edited by antiskum; 02-25-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    The only way I could see that being justified is if the other bands were all headliners. Four headliners doing a mini-festival, that I could see for $80. But he's the only headliner? And he did less than an hour? That's insane. That's not even a rip-off; that's a complete and utter 'fuck you' to his fans.

Someone should let Manson know that, last I checked, Metallica's tickets were going for about the same price. But they're Metallica and they're playing for two hours. He realizes it's not 1997 still, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah it was a headline show for manson. the openers were other bands on the festival - coal chamber and wednesday 13 (not particularly exciting). They would've only played for 30-45min max.

but yeahh, we get pretty badly ripped off down here. from memory, metallica last tour were about $140. but yeah, they played for 2+hours and came with lamb of god and baroness.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    A 1080p video of The Beautiful people:

Keeping in mind this is the beginning of the tour, it`s not bad at all.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Third show, same setlist.

Booed off stage at Soundwave Festival Sydney after a strange performance

Marilyn Manson was booed off stage at Soundwave today. Slipknot fans making no secret of their feelings towards the shock rocker. Manson, who openly discussed his inebriated state to the crowd poured a vile of white powder over his bass players head, argued with his stage assistants between songs, who had to shout him back on stage, and was booed and heckled towards the end of his set.

The crowd chanted ‘Slipknot’ over and over again to throw the clearly disheveled Manson off his game. Manson responded by storming off stage leaving a very confused drummer, and for that fact, a very confused crowd. Dead silence fell over the main stage area, the absence of any background music showed that organisers were caught off guard by the sudden exit. The band returned for one last song but quickly left afterwards and were not seen again, this happening a full ten minutes before the set was supposed to end.

Early construction of the Slipknot set and sound checking of their gear could be blamed for the uproar of Slipknot chants, though only one person can be blamed for the chants of ‘Get off the stage!’ – Manson himself who not only showed little respect for the crowd, yelling over his backing tracks “who let DJ Lethal on our stage?" He was clearly lacking energy and ranting in spoken word poetry which finished with a ‘Remember, we’re up-over you, down under”

This must have been a sad day for Manson fans who saw their idol desperately clutching at whatever threads of his career remain intact.

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/manson...ndwave-sydney/

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jezstyle View Post
    This must have been a sad day for Manson fans who saw their idol desperately clutching at whatever threads of his career remain intact.
    Yes, that article sounds totally unbiased and trustworthy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    there's a bit of discussion about it here http://forum.soundwavefestival.com/node/124903?page=1

tbh asshole fans shouting at the end of other bands sets at festivals isn't a new thing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was there and it was the biggest piece of shit show I have EVER seen in my life. Seriously. Everyone in the crowd was bewildered, confused and dumbfounded. Upstaged and outclassed by Limp Bizkit (on before... And that is saying something. Durst=massive jerk) and utterly annihilated by Slipknot (on after)... Actually he was upstaged and outclassed by everyone. From Lostprophets to Bush to The Used.
    Give up on him now. Don't waste your time any longer. He does not deserve your money in any way, shape or form. Been a fan since '97 and I cannot give him any more chances.

Sleep time now. Just got home and I'm tired.

EDIT: wow. I totally sound like a little bitch haha. But seriously. He was that bad.
    Last edited by New Killer Star; 02-26-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Bad performance is bad.

Retards chanting Slipknot didn't help either.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Fans booing a bad Manson performance in favor of wanting Slipknot is kind of funny. So was he drunk or were the other bands soundchecking? If he was drunk it's inderstandable to give Manson tons of shit, but if a band starts setting up early, I'd be pissed. I've been to tons of festivals where bands atart soundchecking and setting up early and it fucks up the performance of the band who's actually playing. Saw the Flaming Lips setup one time while Norah Jones was still playing and she looked frazzled by the amount of lasers and heavy bass and drums. Then again and a heavy festival like this, it's going to be noisy as fuck and ruin anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, unforch it's pretty commonplace with festivals. manson was on the main stage at soundwave - which is actually two stages side by side. one plays while the other sets up, so there's no gaps in the timetable. which is great logistically, but it means there's inevitably going to be some noise bleeding through from the next bands soundcheck. also, all people waiting on the other side of the stage are there getting their spots and waiting for the next band on and don't give a shit about who's playing at the time - eg apparently manson fans heckled the shit out of limp bizkit who were playing beforehand.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    He was also totally upstaged by LB at Download 09, and put on a truly terrible show, shambolic and devoid of any respect for the crowd.
    I think if the band employed a fucking guitarist that could change things around. When I saw them in 09 Twiggy was out of his league on guitar out there. It was obvious the band was lacking something key.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antiskum View Post
    yeah, unforch it's pretty commonplace with festivals. manson was on the main stage at soundwave - which is actually two stages side by side. one plays while the other sets up, so there's no gaps in the timetable. which is great logistically, but it means there's inevitably going to be some noise bleeding through from the next bands soundcheck. also, all people waiting on the other side of the stage are there getting their spots and waiting for the next band on and don't give a shit about who's playing at the time - eg apparently manson fans heckled the shit out of limp bizkit who were playing beforehand.
    Gah, I hate this shit. Fun Fun fun does this with the side by side stage, so people always leave 10 minutes early to go to the next stage and kill the vibe of the end of the set. Manson fans hating on LB, Slipknot fans hating on Manson, it's the blind leading the blind.

Aggro, I am jealous you've been to Download though, I'm not huge into the scene, but I'd love to go one of these days.

Festivals aren't the best places to see a group like Manson, maybe he'll give more a shit on his actual shows. Unless your favorite band is the headliner, I usually don't expect much.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decadent View Post
    A 1080p video of The Beautiful people:

Keeping in mind this is the beginning of the tour, it`s not bad at all.
    Really? Really? Thought it was terrible. Tired, uninterested. Crawling around out of breath. Fuckssakes. I won't lie that the morons chanting Slipknot should be drawn and quartered on the grounds of sheer stupidity but honestly...fuckssakes.