Page 6 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: The Muthafuckin' Sports Thread!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It was almost like Super Bowl XLII. Almost. Came down to the wire again with the G-Men just sneaking by the Pats. (I've concluded that Gisele is bad luck for Tom Brady.)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Congrats to the Giants and their fans. As I've said all along, defense matters. It was pathetic, but not surprising, the way New England's last place defense folded when it counted most. I know they finally gave the easy final touchdown (similar to Green Bay in the the '98 Superbowl, which the Pack lost) because the Patriots gave in and knew their best chance was the offense. So, it was a win for the league, showing a run 'n shoot team can't win the big one. Eli was stellar, as well.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    So Coughlin has gone from hot seat to future hall of famer in the span of three months. That's cool. Eli is clutch though, he just shakes everything off, makes plays, and wins. The way he just sits and back the pocket, doesn't force anything and looks calm is reminiscent of a young Brady. Brady and Woodhead carried that offense, and you could tell Gronkowski was on one leg, he wasn't making cuts or jumps like he usually does. Welker let a couple go and Mario Manningham and Hakeem Nicks were just catching those balls like nothing else. My biggest question is, was it the right play to let Bradshaw score, or do you try your best and hold them to a field goal? In any case, that fourth quarter was a chess match, and if it's any other team in the NFC not named the Giants, New England wins it. Colonel Coughlin, Eli, and the Giants front four have their number. Couldn't be happier for New York, it's all about getting hot at the right time, and nobody does it better.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    So Coughlin has gone from hot seat to future hall of famer in the span of three months. That's cool. Eli is clutch though, he just shakes everything off, makes plays, and wins. The way he just sits and back the pocket, doesn't force anything and looks calm is reminiscent of a young Brady. Brady and Woodhead carried that offense, and you could tell Gronkowski was on one leg, he wasn't making cuts or jumps like he usually does. Welker let a couple go and Mario Manningham and Hakeem Nicks were just catching those balls like nothing else. My biggest question is, was it the right play to let Bradshaw score, or do you try your best and hold them to a field goal? In any case, that fourth quarter was a chess match, and if it's any other team in the NFC not named the Giants, New England wins it. Colonel Coughlin, Eli, and the Giants front four have their number. Couldn't be happier for New York, it's all about getting hot at the right time, and nobody does it better.
    Very well put sir. I completely agree with Eli looking like Brady when he was younger. He no longer scrambles all over the place and fumbles balls everywhere. Complete teamwork for the Giants. The first half the Giants changed a lot of their offense which I think really confused the Patriots for a while.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Teamwork for the Giants is right. A very good defensive output for the guys, and they were a loaded gun on offense. They may have been the worst rushing team this year, but you never know when Jacobs and Bradshaw will break off for a first down. All three Giants receivers played great, mostly in part to good play calling and Eli's ability to put the ball in tight spaces. I thought they came together in the 4th after they came down to one tight end, you'd be surprised how that changes things on broken plays and 3rd and short plays, and they managed to keep it together. But yeah, they changed their game plan accordingly after every failed series. It's also funny because for the past decade, if there was any team that imploded at the worst time it was New York, they've had seasons where they just collapsed and missed the post season, and now twice, they've gone in, on the brink of missing the playoffs, only to win out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    WOO GIANTS! After their strong start they had me worried though, especially towards the middle of the fourth quarter. If Welker makes that big play catch like he usually does the game probably goes the other way. Amazing run this team went on considering they were 7-7. And blah, now we enter February, the black hole month for sports... NBA is meh but maybe this will finally be the Rangers year. GO METS! 2 weeks 'til spring training.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Very good game better than I expected to be honest! Eli was amazing down the stretch and that catch by Manningham was terrific!!!! The Giants are worthy champions!!!!

Great game! The commercials imo were the worst out of any Super Bowl I have ever seen by far the weakest. Madonna's half time show well I'll stick with what I said in my earlier post the Puppy Bowl Kitty Half Time show was way better and entertaining. I guess M.I.A flipped the bird so that explains the technical issues during it since they hit the panic button.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    If Welker makes that big play catch like he usually does the game probably goes the other way.
    I am amazed at how gutted I actually am. And, I know you guys will say that the Giants got it going at the right time - fair enough - but it still just feels wrong to me that they were 9-7. But its a hybrid league/cup competition. I just cant help thinking that 2010 14-2 1st seed. 2011 13-3 1st seed. Then get beat by a team that lost more games than the Patriots previous two seasons. And, like you said Kid - Coughlin was on the verge of being fired. AGAIN. I listened to the Giants.com radio and a lot fo the callers would have him and Eli fired.

Im probably whining now. But forgive me. I cant believe its over.

Right, what do I do now? MLB? A new American Football team has just set up locally - first practice on Sunday!
    Last edited by YKWYA; 02-06-2012 at 03:21 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Here's the thing about them being 9-7, it's all about the division. Last year there was an uproar about Seattle backing in with a sub .500 record but their division was so bad that it's all they needed. Then they went out and beat the defending champs in the wild card round. It's what makes the NFL great, and yeah the record may look poor, but that's why they play the games and have a playoff system. A post season like this years and last years is why I'll never take college football seriously because how can you dictate who are the two best teams by a computer system? Let them play, match them up, and see what happens. Also their record may have been bad, but they only had one home game against an imploding Falcons team who would have lost in the Georgia Dome. They went out on the road and won in Lambeau again and Candlestick, both places which are very difficult to get road wins. So I respectfully disagree YKWYA, I do see how it may be a little strange to see a team who finished one game over .500 win a title, but they took care of business, won in harsh environments, and by accounts deserved it.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YKWYA View Post

Im probably whining now. But forgive me. I cant believe its over.
    You would totally fit in here in New England where sports fans really do feel emotionally tied to their teams. New York might have a larger population, but there are so many other things to do and be interested in that sports fandom is not as intense as it is here in New England. They say when the Red Sox finally one The World Series again, there was a decrease in reports of depression. People were happy. That's saying a lot around here.

Right, what do I do now? MLB? A new American Football team has just set up locally - first practice on Sunday!
    Where are the players coming from? America? I'd so like to see an American football team playing with lots of non-Americans. Just like I'd like to see an American ice hockey team in America with Americans on it - this is a ding that the vast majority of the players are imported. As for MLB - if you are serious about moving over here - don't root for the Yankees - not even to be cute and take the opposite stance. Fans are humorless about THAT.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    New York might have a larger population, but there are so many other things to do and be interested in that sports fandom is not as intense as it is here in New England.
    I think the vast majority of NY sports fans would vehemently deny that their passion is any less intense than that of fans from New England or elsewhere and that the number of other activities in the area bears little to no correlation on the matter. And while NY vs Boston is something people can argue 'til their blue in the face, I personally feel that the entire area of the northeast harbors a greater number of exceedingly passionate baseball fans than you would find in other parts of the country (save for some exceptions like Chicago).

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    I think the vast majority of NY sports fans would vehemently deny that their passion is any less intense than that of fans from New England or elsewhere and that the number of other activities in the area bears little to no correlation on the matter. And while NY vs Boston is something people can argue 'til their blue in the face, I personally feel that the entire area of the northeast harbors a greater number of exceedingly passionate baseball fans than you would find in other parts of the country (save for some exceptions like Chicago).
    I'm not saying they are less passionate, but you don't have the hyper attention like they do in NE. I've lived both places - So many pro athletes talk about the fan and media intensity in Boston is like no other place they have played. I'm not saying it's better - just concentrated.

Frankly, I'm getting a sports hangover and I'm a sports fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's the thing about them being 9-7, it's all about the division. Last year there was an uproar about Seattle backing in with a sub .500 record but their division was so bad that it's all they needed. Then they went out and beat the defending champs in the wild card round. It's what makes the NFL great, and yeah the record may look poor, but that's why they play the games and have a playoff system. A post season like this years and last years is why I'll never take college football seriously because how can you dictate who are the two best teams by a computer system? Let them play, match them up, and see what happens. Also their record may have been bad, but they only had one home game against an imploding Falcons team who would have lost in the Georgia Dome. They went out on the road and won in Lambeau again and Candlestick, both places which are very difficult to get road wins. So I respectfully disagree YKWYA, I do see how it may be a little strange to see a team who finished one game over .500 win a title, but they took care of business, won in harsh environments, and by accounts deserved it.
    Yeah, I know what you are saying. I said before, I love the Giants, with the Parcells tree, and Simms, Taylor etc. But I love the Patriots and Brady/Bellichick more. I just didnt realise how gutted I would actually feel when they lost!

But, saying that right through the season while my brother was rooting for the Steelers, I kept saying dont write the Giants off. There were some real flashes of a great team there. and Eli, I kept saying to him, was on fire. I re-watched some highlights and the throws he made this year were pretty incredible. He really stepped up. I still cant bring myself to wear my ny Tee as yet. The Brady shirt is staying on!

Still, the Patriots have a core of players, and hopefully will pick up some talent on D in the draft.

You would totally fit in here in New England where sports fans really do feel emotionally tied to their teams. New York might have a larger population, but there are so many other things to do and be interested in that sports fandom is not as intense as it is here in New England. They say when the Red Sox finally one The World Series again, there was a decrease in reports of depression. People were happy. That's saying a lot around here.
    Im practicing for when I actually move over there! And I will get there. Someday. From what Ive seen it does seem pretty intense. And as Kraft said, they have set some pretty high standards, and expect high standards, but it was a really great season.

I guess Ill have to wait for my signed shirt until next year?

Where are the players coming from? America? I'd so like to see an American football team playing with lots of non-Americans. Just like I'd like to see an American ice hockey team in America with Americans on it - this is a ding that the vast majority of the players are imported. As for MLB - if you are serious about moving over here - don't root for the Yankees - not even to be cute and take the opposite stance. Fans are humorless about THAT.
    Nah, looking at the teams I cant seem to like the Yankees. SF Giants caught my eye. a lot to do with Lincecum? He seems pretty cool to me, and I like the guys who don't always strike you as the obvious choice for their position? Or the unconventional ones. I also have my appreciation for the 49ers in that area. Other than that, maybe the Cardinals? Im on a bit of a Baseball catch up right now!

As for the team, its all local people. We are hoping to get into the BAFA Community League North West division. The nearest team is about 2 hrs away in Carlisle, so a group is setting one up in Barrow-in-Furness. The team to beat in the division are these guys:

No suprise that they seem to run the ball a lot! Most of them are also Rugby players.

Ill be coming to you guys for play ideas. First practice is on sunday, and I said I might throw some passes and see how it goes.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Can't wait to see the Leafs dust the Wings in the Big House. Just booked my hotel. Should be one for the ages!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    ^Hey look it's the one nut wonder!

YKWYA- yes, you are going to have to wait for the shirt. Hopefully, next year.
    Your football - wait I didn't catch this - YOU ARE PLAYING?? Those highlights were awesome, the QB is a lefty and threw in the TD. Definitely need to get some coaching on the fundamentals. Clearly the brawn in out there. I noticed one guy actual held the ball like he was playing rugby - you have to tuck and protect guys!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    ^Hey look it's the one nut wonder!

YKWYA- yes, you are going to have to wait for the shirt. Hopefully, next year.
    Your football - wait I didn't catch this - YOU ARE PLAYING?? Those highlights were awesome, the QB is a lefty and threw in the TD. Definitely need to get some coaching on the fundamentals. Clearly the brawn in out there. I noticed one guy actual held the ball like he was playing rugby - you have to tuck and protect guys!
    And always remember, laces out.

Oh and JEREMY FUCKING LIN!
    Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 02-10-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Jeremy Lin - a nice Harvard man.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Jeremy Lin - a nice Harvard man.
    He's a gamer. Holy crap did he torch the Lakers tonight or what? My only question is what happens when Melo and Amare come back? Seems like this team doesn't need those stragglers.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Amare should fit in fine with him in the pick and roll. He's basically a poor mans Steve Nash. Melo on the other hand may not like someone else having the ball so much. I watched him for years in Denver and the offense never seemed to have a natural flow to it. He might be the best one on one player in the league, but its always like they're playing offense with 4 guys on one side and Melo on the other.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I don't see Lin as a poor man's Nash honestly. He's more of a shoot first PG rather than the passer that Nash was. Amare should be okay, then again, he's made out of glass so I either expect him to be traded somewhere or to get a season ending injure, either way, he's gone after this year. As for Melo, he's still a huge concern, I don't know if he knows how to pass the ball and he's had a pretty lousy shooting percentage this year. We'll see what happens till they come back, but if Lin keeps playing at a high level, they might not need those scrubs.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Nerds of the NBA

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I'm tempted to buy a Jeremy Lin jersey, I think he's the real deal Holyfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if this should go here or things that cheer me up, but I got picked to play QB. It was a great practice. And great to see so many fans of the game there.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Are you going to wear #12 in honor or Brady?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Not sure if this should go here or things that cheer me up, but I got picked to play QB. It was a great practice. And great to see so many fans of the game there.
    Wow - Congratulations! Do what Brady did, take your offensive line out to dinner. They need to protect you. We want to hear all about your games, passing stats, QB rating - the works. Post video too.

As for Jeremy Lin, someone said to me today that there is nothing else to talk about on ESPN, that's why he's news right now. Geeze.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Jeremy fucking lin yall!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Jeremy fucking lin yall!
    Flash in the pan.

Re: Rick Nash - I noticed the standings yesterday and am not surprised. Columbus has sooooo few wins, sad. Worst NHL game I ever went to see was Columbus vs. Phoenix. Booooooring. Best part - seeing Wayne Gretzky in person and he looked pissed.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Columbus traded Carter to L.A. last night for Jack Johnson and a 1st. Apparently the asking price for Nash is an effective current roster player, 2 prospects and a 1st. We'll see what happens.

Anyone down for fantasy baseball?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow - Congratulations! Do what Brady did, take your offensive line out to dinner. They need to protect you. We want to hear all about your games, passing stats, QB rating - the works. Post video too.
    Haha. Yeah, Ill get them all a Rolex too.

We have had a couple of practices so far, and its really cool. We have some a lot of guys I think will be great in this division. As soon as there is video I will post!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Anyone down for fantasy baseball?
    I'd definitely be in. Last year we didn't really have enough teams to make it interesting, but if we can get at least ten it should be fun.