Page 59 of 94 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 2809

Thread: The Muthafuckin' Sports Thread!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    ...aaand POP goes the balloon for OKC, once again. Russell Westbrook is totally for OKC what Gilbert Arenas was in his peak years with Washington. The guy that could drop 50 points looking like the league MVP one game, and the next two nights you’d hardly even notice he’s on the floor.

It will be interesting to see if a healthy Cleveland will make a difference in the Finals this time around.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    so this happened yesterday

The NBA accidentally posted these games in the Events tab of their Facebook page. Notice that the teams are listed as Golden State and Cleveland BEFORE the Warriors finished their "miraculous comeback," winning four straight games after being down 3-1. Keep in mind that the number of times a team has pulled off a comeback like that, ever, in the history of the 7 game series, WAS still in the single digits, with this year's warriors being the 10th.
    I HATE this kind of shit and try my damndest to ignore it.
    But when there's THAT kind of money involved in something, you never know

Here is the story from GQ

And then there was the time my Dallas Mavericks opened up a 2-0 lead against the Heat in the finals, but Miami made a miraculous comeback that featured Jerry Stackhouse being suspended for a highly contested flagrant foul on Shaq, which Shaq later said was "lighter than a love tap from one of his daughters," Dwayne Wade setting an NBA finals single game free throw record after going to the line more times than all of the mavericks combined, and Wade setting another finals record with like 100 fucking free throw attempts in six games, averaging sixteen attempts per game.

The next year, referee Tim Donaghy plead guilty to fixing and betting on games and later testified that the already controversial 2002 Lakers-Kings finals were, in fact, fixed.

Being a rabid basketball fan, i've tried to push the Tim Donaghy shit out of my mind, and now we have this facebook insanity.

GodDAMNIT i wish i hadn't heard about it

Dear God, PLEASE let Donaghy be a filthy liar and the facebook fiasco just an honest mistake. Please?
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-31-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Fucking OKC and that kicking bitch Draymond Green. The WCF have really made me hate the Warriors to the point where I'm cheering for Cleveland. That is a shitty feeling.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    so this happened yesterday

The NBA accidentally posted these games in the Events tab of their Facebook page. Notice that the teams are listed as Golden State and Cleveland BEFORE the Warriors finished their "miraculous comeback," winning four straight games after being down 3-1. Keep in mind that the number of times a team has pulled off a comeback like that, ever, in the history of the 7 game series, WAS still in the single digits, with this year's warriors being the 10th.
    I HATE this kind of shit and try my damndest to ignore it.
    But when there's THAT kind of money involved in something, you never know

Here is the story from GQ

And then there was the time my Dallas Mavericks opened up a 2-0 lead against the Heat in the finals, but Miami made a miraculous comeback that featured Jerry Stackhouse being suspended for a highly contested flagrant foul on Shaq, which Shaq later said was "lighter than a love tap from one of his daughters," Dwayne Wade setting an NBA finals single game free throw record after going to the line more times than all of the mavericks combined, and Wade setting another finals record with like 100 fucking free throw attempts in six games, averaging sixteen attempts per game.

The next year, referee Tim Donaghy plead guilty to fixing and betting on games and later testified that the already controversial 2002 Lakers-Kings finals were, in fact, fixed.

Being a rabid basketball fan, i've tried to push the Tim Donaghy shit out of my mind, and now we have this facebook insanity.

GodDAMNIT i wish i hadn't heard about it

Dear God, PLEASE let Donaghy be a filthy liar and the facebook fiasco just an honest mistake. Please?
    I didn’t really have a horse in the race between the two, but it feels more like GS was just the better team, and in a 7 game series the better team usually wins. A few wins in a season might be attributed luck or fortunate calls, but not 73 wins. Hitting a 3 every now and again might be attributed to luck, but two guys making over 670 three pointers in the regular season clearly can’t be luck or the refs. That’s just a ridiculous amount of skill.

But even then, OKC did up their game big time in the playoffs. Beating the Spurs was unexpected. Against GS the Thunder did a good job putting themselves in position to win, especially in games 6 and 7, where OKC won 6 quarters of basketball. GS only won 2 quarters.

But with the way GS can nail 3s at a record pace, one quarter in a game is all they need to win to take the game. OKC even had the advantage in the penalty in games 6 and 7,

In game 7 OKC went 13-17 on free throws while GS was 5-8.

In game 6 OKC was 22-32 from the line while GS was 15-24.

For all the GS haters out there, Cleveland is once again the last hope. The Cavaliers can score points, but their defense is suspect. Kevin Love is too soft as defensive presence. If he could channel his inner late 1980s Bill Laimbeer ferocity and intensity, then Cleveland would be a real monster to reckon with.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Dr Channard
    but dude. you missed the point. the nba posted the finals schedule BEFORE game 7.
    And i'll go out on a limb and say that it looked to me like OKC folded on shooting in game 7.

And what say you to all this?
    " And then there was the time my Dallas Mavericks opened up a 2-0 lead against the Heat in the finals, but Miami made a miraculous comeback that featured Jerry Stackhouse being suspended for a highly contested flagrant foul on Shaq, which Shaq later said was "lighter than a love tap from one of his daughters," Dwayne Wade setting an NBA finals single game free throw record after going to the line more times than all of the mavericks combined, and Wade setting another finals record with like 100 fucking free throw attempts in six games, averaging sixteen attempts per game.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @Dr Channard
    but dude. you missed the point. the nba posted the finals schedule BEFORE game 7.
    And i'll go out on a limb and say that it looked to me like OKC folded on shooting in game 7.

And what say you to all this?
    " And then there was the time my Dallas Mavericks opened up a 2-0 lead against the Heat in the finals, but Miami made a miraculous comeback that featured Jerry Stackhouse being suspended for a highly contested flagrant foul on Shaq, which Shaq later said was "lighter than a love tap from one of his daughters," Dwayne Wade setting an NBA finals single game free throw record after going to the line more times than all of the mavericks combined, and Wade setting another finals record with like 100 fucking free throw attempts in six games, averaging sixteen attempts per game.

I get what you’re saying. I’m not saying it is impossible, or that a fix has never happened in the past. There just doesn’t seem to be any in-game statistical data or in-game empirical evidence that leads me to believe the NBA fixed this particular OKC/GS series in favor of either team. Any notion that OKC went down on purpose is laughable. The guys on OKC played a hell of a series against the Spurs and the Warriors. KD and RW are very prideful players, they were clearly playing to win. They clearly wanted to win. These guys were laughing at GS when they had the series at 3-1. But after that it looked like it legitimately just fell apart for OKC. We have seen this team play above their heads in the playoffs before, only to completely fall apart late. I mentioned this very fact when OKC was up in the series 3-1.

What it looked like it came down to was that the Warriors incomprehensibly good shooting was just too much. I guess if a person wanted to point to D Wade being sent to the line a seemingly inordinate amount of times as a fix, that could be conceivable. Or point to an obviously wrong flagrant foul call as a fix, maybe. But how is the Warriors ability to score 3s in record numbers night after night a league fix? Is the ball on a string, being guided into the hoop?

Honestly, as far as game deciding critical calls went, I personally thought the Spurs got way more of a raw deal in the series against OKC, than anything that went against OKC in the GS series.

But in any case, I’m still hoping Cleveland can pull a miracle out of their ass.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Dr Channard i know what you mean. you can't "fix" good shooting. But to me, OKC's collapse, especially in game 7, looked fucking orchestrated.

I just fear that the NBA is fixed in general.
    Did you look into the other things i mentioned? Have you ever looked into the controversy surrounding the 06 Mavs/Heat finals or the Tim Donaghy scandal?
    This ref was caught betting on games, and he sang. He basically said "everyone else is doing it." He claimed that the 2002 Lakers/King finals were fixed.

I look at this and i don't want it to be true

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I try to look at things as objectively as possible, and in general I believe there is too much money to be made if it was ever exposed that there was actual match fixing going on, to make it worth the risk. It's like rigging the lottery. What the hell is the point in possibly fucking up that endless gravy train? Especially in the age of social media and leaks - someone would eventually get spurned and crack and bring down the house of cards.

I think a small amount of Refs might slightly point shave here and there with limited effect on W/L outcome, but mainly I think comes down to ego and personal bias, more than anything. Some officials are just big headed pieces of shit that want to make the games about themselves.

If anyone watched any of that Cavs/Raptors conference finals though it was really hard to stomach. I mean in game 3 or 4, the Raps were in the penalty early every quarter and the Cavs didn't get a single foul call on them in the game until midway through the THIRD quarter. It was insane. Guys were being physically mugged under the basket and the refs were just like too bad, fuck you were not calling anything for legiitmately 30 minutes. The Raps ended up winning the game in spite of this, and while the poor officiating was blantant throughout, it still didnt have a true effect on the series as it still would have likely finished 4-2 even with unbiased refereeing.

So as much as there have been times where I have seen it with my own eyes, I still dont think it has a large effect on the outcomes. But yes, it's concerning that a man like Adam Silver can see that, and not do anything to try and address the brutal problems with his sport. I did think he was a man of integrity, but he was in the stands for that Raptors game, and unless some kind of reprimanding is going on behind the scenes, I don't know how you could watch the sport and not think that something needs to be done. That series was a spotlight, but it's been evident all throughout the playoffs this year.

And it's not just the NBA. The utilization of instant replay in MLB, along with the slide rules have been a disgusting pathetic joke. The implimentation of the delayed offsides review in the NHL is fucking bananas. It honestly does feel like the officiating across the board is the worst it's ever been at any point in the history of my life. But again, even if you fixed all of that, it would likely only make a nominal difference at best in the eventual outcomes, so I try not to get vexxed about it but jesus sometimes it's hard.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Brazil just got eliminated from Copa America.... thanks in part to a fucking handball by Peru: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer...033359018.html

Brazil got fucked. That was a fucking handball.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Brazil just got eliminated from Copa America.... thanks in part to a fucking handball by Peru: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer...033359018.html

Brazil got fucked. That was a fucking handball.
    Brazil's play was pretty flat though, even with a hand ball. Brazil never scored.

Congrats to The Pens. Mike Sullivan totally deserved it. *

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    pathetic ending on the part of the Cavs to an otherwise dominant game by them.

fuck LeBron. he's the most bitchmade 6'8" player in NBA history. he creates fouls that dont exist by his next level flopping.

when you know you cant win and you need to resort to that kinda bullshit to win you gotta question what's the point of the finals. if i were betting on this shit i'd be pissed.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    My dad doesn't like Lebron very much either yet he's conflicted because he wants to see Cleveland at least win for once. Yet, he prefers to watch Copa America and the Euro Cup.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDrug View Post
    pathetic ending on the part of the Cavs to an otherwise dominant game by them.

fuck LeBron. he's the most bitchmade 6'8" player in NBA history. he creates fouls that dont exist by his next level flopping.

when you know you cant win and you need to resort to that kinda bullshit to win you gotta question what's the point of the finals. if i were betting on this shit i'd be pissed.
    Not saying LeBron doesn'y flop, but c'mon. Draymond has spent the entirety of the playoffs waging war on opposing players' dick and balls and had - until he got to James - run unchecked. Poor officiating goes back a series when GSW should have been eliminated by OKC.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Well, this has been an eventful day in futbol. Ronaldo misses a penalty kick and costs Portugal the Euro Cup. Chile beat the holy shit out of Mexico 7-0 at Copa America. Puta madre. My mother is on cloud nine. She doesn't like Mexico.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The Cleveland Cavaliers have done the impossible and made a series comeback from a 3-1 deficit in the NBA Finals and LeBron James has fulfilled his promise to win a championship for the city of Cleveland. I wonder how all the fans who burned his jersey when he left for Miami feel now.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    What about some real sport and Le Mans 24hr. :-) What a finish!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Game 7 was fantastic. What a finish. Happy for the Cavs. LeBron and co. certainly deserved it. Curry put up like three or four 3-point attempts in the last minute and a half, and I was sure each one of them was going in..but then Kyrie hit the backbreaking shot. Such a tense game. Loved it.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    George St-Pierre is back!!

I'm so pumped for his return. Can't wait to see who he will be fighting.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Congratulations. I'm going to cry over here and just watch some D league (ECHL) hockey this weekend. Tickets are a fraction of the price of a regular season NHL game and they drop coupons to Olive Garden from a drone in between periods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The finals were fun while it lasted. I think I'd rather have some free coupons for Olive Garden though.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I know I wanted the U.S. to win tonight though I knew it wasn't going to happen as they lost to Argentina 4-0. Yet, that second goal Lionel Messi did with the free kick is just... poetry at its best.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    In the HOLY SHIT department, Habs have traded PK Subban for Shea Weber.
    In the "You just got robbed" department, the Oilers have traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson.
    Stamkos signed with the Bolts.

Crazy day in hockey land.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    In the HOLY SHIT department, Habs have traded PK Subban for Shea Weber.
    Yes, Hab fans are collectively screaming right now. Predators definitely made out on that deal.

Looking forward to what tomorrow brings. My Bruins need to do something.

BTW, I was told to follow PK on Instagram. Need to get on that.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Hello friends, training camp is set to begin at the end of the month, so you know what that means? It's time to start thinking about Fantasy Football again. I'll create and send out invites, I'll automatically send you one if you were a part of the league last year, but I need to get a headcount on who wants to be in it, especially if you're a newbie.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    What if this Kevin Durant to the Warriors thing is a bust and they lose to the Cavs in the Finals next year? Then what will he do?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Cry while dabbing his eyes with his dirty millions because he chased a ring rather than stay with a team that was a game away (and one good performance that Durant didn't deliver) from the Finals.

Chase the money, chase the rings, do what you think is best for your career. This probably is, because now the Warriors are a super super team. It's still a bitch move.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Anyone watching UFC 200?
    Card is stacked. Should an exciting night. Hope the Lesnar vs Hunt fight will deliver. I have my money on Lesnar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    KD leaving OKC for the Warriors brings a smile to my face...... I'll just leave it at that.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    And just like that we're out of a main even for UFC 200 after Jon Jones failing an out-of-competition drug test. 2 days before the fucking event.
    Damn that sucks...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Jon Jones is a piece of shit and this was 100% inevitable. He hasn't learned a fucking thing from the other events he's ruined, not to mention the hit-and-run where he only went back to grab his cash and his drugs. I don't want to see him on a UFC card ever again because he probably won't make it to the fight without doing something dumb as fuck.