Page 29 of 94 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 ... LastLast

Thread: The Muthafuckin' Sports Thread!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    OF COURSE THE OPENING NFL GAME IN SEATTLE THAT I CAN'T MAKE IT TO IS AGAINST THE PACKERS, WHO I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE. OF COURSE IT IS.

Fuck my actual life.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Any fan of the Oakland As who has some free time and experience transcribing interviews, drop me a PM. Slave wages but you'll cream yourself listening to these old timers waxing nostalgic.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Excellent article. I have been really getting into the "advanced" stats part of the game this year. I mean, I don't calculate it or anything, but there are some pretty nerdy hockey blogs out there that cover things like this.

Goalie is definitely a weird position. Luck has a lot to do with it nowadays. How many truly elite goalies exist in today's NHL? How many goalies are propped up by an amazing defense? How many look bad because of a bad defense. It'll be interesting to see where the position goes in the next couple years.
    i really don't see analytics being heavily utilized in hockey. Brian Burke uses character as the excuse. https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...pNN/story.html

I just don't see hockey as predictable.

The MIT sports analytics conference will keep talking about hockey though.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445910

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Game 3 tonight. So jacked.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    i really don't see analytics being heavily utilized in hockey. Brian Burke uses character as the excuse. https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...pNN/story.html

I just don't see hockey as predictable.

The MIT sports analytics conference will keep talking about hockey though.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445910
    I think it's less about predicting hockey, but more about putting teams in the best position to have the luck swing their way. I'm not sure exactly how many NHL teams use it yet, but I know you could probably count it on one hand. You are right that you can't predict hockey, but if you can gain that small luck advantage, it will put your team in a better position to win. Even then, anything can happen.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Welp, of course I forgot you aren't supposed to be happy as a Sharks fan. Game 7 tomorrow night. Blech.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Welp, of course I forgot you aren't supposed to be happy as a Sharks fan. Game 7 tomorrow night. Blech.
    Good luck. Bruins start their series with The Habs tomorrow night. It should be a good one.

Going with an old friend to The Red Sox/Rays game tonight, it's going to be cold, raw and probably rain. Fuck New England weather.

EDIT: game cancelled. Oh well.
    Last edited by Dra508; 04-30-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    What happened to the Sharks, blew a 3-0 series lead? I wasn't following the series very closely.

**Side note** Heard the Habs won 3 out of the 4 games against the Bruins this season. St. Louis was my pick to win it all after the trade deadline but I abandoned that decision last few weeks of the season and went with the Bruins. If the Habs can win the series, it will make for a interesting playoffs.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post

Heard the Habs won 3 out of the 4 games against the Bruins this season..
    this is true which makes this series even more interesting. Those little Canadians know how to get under The Bruins skin. Basically, they play the same sort of game. The Little Ball of Hate, Brad Marchand will probably be kept under control so lest he not spend the entire game in the box.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    this is true which makes this series even more interesting. Those little Canadians know how to get under The Bruins skin. Basically, they play the same sort of game. The Little Ball of Hate, Brad Marchand will probably be kept under control so lest he not spend the entire game in the box.
    The Canucks and Habs are my two teams. After seeing how Van treated Luongo, I'm thinking Montreal is just a way better team. I hope they win it all this year!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Habs and Bruins series will be awesome. It always is. I have the Habs in 6 (obviously).
    I hope Marchand gets destroyed by Subban ... again ...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    First game is tonight, go Habs! It's been a great playoffs so far to watch this year

I have no idea how the series will go, Habs in 7?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    What happened to the Sharks, blew a 3-0 series lead? I wasn't following the series very closely.

**Side note** Heard the Habs won 3 out of the 4 games against the Bruins this season. St. Louis was my pick to win it all after the trade deadline but I abandoned that decision last few weeks of the season and went with the Bruins. If the Habs can win the series, it will make for a interesting playoffs.
    Yep, the Sharks blew the 3-0 series lead, becoming only the 4th team in NHL history to do it. The Sharks man handled the Kings during the first 3 games. Game 4 could have gone either way, but the rest of the series was all Kings. The Sharks really choked this away.

Welp, here's my 2nd round predictions

Kings over Ducks in 5
    Hawks over Wild in 6

Bruins over Habs in 6
    Rangers over Pens in 6

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Seriously, God bless hockey.

Now I am a Florida Panther fan ( forever and always) but the Kings were my fave as a kid because of Gretzky back in the 90's. So I will be rooting for them.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I gave a soft spot for the Panthers because of Lou

Kings feel dangerous after knocking out SJ like that

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Habs looking good after 2 in game 1.

I like the Panthers. I feel like they have so many top notch prospects that will be good one day. They could be the next Chicago Blackhawks...or the next Oilers. We'll see what Tallon does this offseason.

I think the Kings will beat the Ducks, but it feels like the Hawks and Bruins are on a crash course for the finals again (unless the Habs pull the upset )

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    What a game in Boston. PK unleashed a hell of a blast.
    Let's be real though. Boston were manhandling Montreal but Jesus Price came to the rescue.
    The Price is Right.

The racist comments from Boston fans are quite hilarious. I don't think most of them are realizing they have PK's brother in their farm club.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post

The racist comments from Boston fans are quite hilarious.
    I caught a whiff of this this afternoon, but haven't actually seen it. Usually when hockey players are hated its because they are so dam good. I remember when Chara played for The Sens, he'd get boo'd in Boston. PK is one of those great players, but getting bigoted is NOT cool. Also, Boychuck's slapshot better than Subban.

I don't think most of them are realizing they have PK's brother in their farm club.
    You're probably right. Which team, do you know?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I caught a whiff of this this afternoon, but haven't actually seen it. Usually when hockey players are hated its because they are so dam good. I remember when Chara played for The Sens, he'd get boo'd in Boston. PK is one of those great players, but getting bigoted is NOT cool. Also, Boychuck's slapshot better than Subban.

You're probably right. Which team, do you know?
    Malcom Subban is playing for the Providence Bruins.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    What a disappointing last half to that 3rd period.

And fuck those racist Boston fans. Every time Subban touched the puck the whole stadium booed. Glad he still got 2 Assists

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    What a disappointing last half to that 3rd period.

And fuck those racist Boston fans. Every time Subban touched the puck the whole stadium booed. Glad he still got 2 Assists
    Like I think I said earlier, when Chara was a Senator, everyone boo'd him too. Does that not happen to any really good player when they are the visitor? I think that still happens to Chara in other cities.

As for the fans, don't know what they specifically said, but I know The Bruins condemned them.

I missed the comeback third period today. Argh

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Like I think I said earlier, when Chara was a Senator, everyone boo'd him too. Does that not happen to any really good player when they are the visitor? I think that still happens to Chara in other cities.

As for the fans, don't know what they specifically said, but I know The Bruins condemned them.

I missed the comeback third period today. Argh
    Yeah, I know its not all fans. The team and players have been classy about it IMO.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    The team and players have been classy about it IMO.
    So true, on both sides

Boston Sunday Globe said:

Shawn Thornton was not happy the way P.K. Subban went down on Thornton’s attempted hit on the Montreal defenseman, a play that resulted in Thornton limping off the ice early in the third period. The right wing did return to the game halfway through the period.

“I don’t like people ducking,” Thornton said. “I think Marchy got about five games for it once [on Sami Salo]. I will say, off the draw he apologized afterward, so there’s that. I think it’s a dangerous play, personally. But it’s playoffs, it’s hockey, I’m fine, so we’re OK.”

Thornton’s right knee hit Subban after the defenseman had gone to the ice, and Thornton went into the boards. He got up in significant pain. Asked about the injury, Thornton joked, “It’s a concussion.”
    Said Subban, “I don’t know what happened. I just tried to shoot the puck around the zone and I sort of lost my footing there. Obviously you don’t want to see anybody go off hurt, but he came back.”

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Also, World championship starts in three days in my very city, with my team Belarus versus U S of A!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Habs looking pretty good against the Bruins so far.
    I'd start being worried if I was Boston. Price has been dominating Rask. Subban is all over the place.
    I like our odds now.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Habs gotta give it all tonight.
    I'm keeping it right though. Boston is a lot better than Montreal but I do believe we can push this to game 7.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Habs gotta give it all tonight.
    I'm keeping it right though. Boston is a lot better than Montreal but I do believe we can push this to game 7.
    Successful, but I give it more to The Bruins having a shitty game (multiple players) and the home ice tilt. Game 7 on Wednesday is going to be INSANE.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Successful, but I give it more to The Bruins having a shitty game (multiple players) and the home ice tilt. Game 7 on Wednesday is going to be INSANE.
    So far I have Habs beaing the better team in Game 3 and 6.
    Boston definitely was the best team for game 1, 2 and 5 but ended up losing game 1.
    Game 4 was a disaster for both teams and could have gone either way in OT. It went to Boston.

I think it's fair to say that game 7 could go either way as well. Price could steal another one like he did in game 1.
    Agree that it should be an insane game. Can't wait!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    If Mercedes could stop winning every round of the F1, that would be great. -_-