Page 28 of 94 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast

Thread: The Muthafuckin' Sports Thread!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Can't believe the Habs are the only Canadian team making the playoffs this year.

Bishop's injury, albeit unfortunate for the Bolts, is quite the good news for the Habs.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ophelia_ View Post
    ^agreed.

As much as I hate Hamilton, I'm glad to see Nico is doing well. All these rule changes that made the cars slower seemed ridiculous at the start, but it's definitely allowing for more overtaking, which of course means more amusement. On the downside, the NIN concert was louder than the F1 this year in Melbourne -_-

Wish Ferrari would get their shit together though. Seriously, it's been years since they had a great car. Argh!
    I don't think it's Ferrari that's been having a bad run car-wise. I think it's more the drivers they've had on board. I have honestly never been a fan of Alonso as a driver (ever) and it pissed me off when he made the move. Massa seemed like he would always be a second rate driver, but that might just be a bit of the Red Bull formula making its way over to Ferrari by way of "Support the driver who's bringing home the points, fuck the other guy" sort of thing. Raikkonen at the moment seems like he just doesn't give a fuck after his short stint in rally driving which we would like to think is why he's not making the podium just yet. He's always been a kick ass driver, but it is disappointing watching him this year.

I forget where else I was going with this post. Oh yeah, the Force India team, holy shit. Where the fuck did they come from all of a sudden?!

As for the new rules, cars and whatnot, I think it's all bullshit. I was at the race for the first time this year and I'm happy I got to see David Coulthard thrash a car around the track and also hear what just ONE of the old V8 powered cars sounded like. Definitely a massive disappointment in terms of sound. Hopefully they sort something out where they'll go back to the higher powered engines again, or at least get a bit more noise out of them.

Maybe a quick trip to Lakemba to flog a couple of blow-off valves off of the 'fully sik Rexi brah" should do the trick

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Massa is a top rate driver when he has confidence in himself. It still breaks my heart to think of the Brazilian GP in 08. Being a massive MS fan, I absolutely despised Fernando for the longest time but in the last year of Renault vs Ferrari, I kinda started appreciating his skills and so I was happy when he made the move to Ferrari. He's aggressive but calculated, he doesn't take too many unnecessary risks (a la Hamilton) and he knows how to make an underperforming car work for him.
    Eh, I love Kimi because he's Kimi but you can tell his heart just isn't into it. After he won the drivers championship with Ferrari it was like he just ticked that off the bucket list.

Its defffs Force India's time to shine right now! Crazy how well they're doing.

The first f1 race I ever went to had v12s, it was like having your head blown off everytime they went around the track. So good.

Haha... Oh jesus, I never thought I'd see Lakemba mentioned on ETS. Fully

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Sydney is balls deep in ETS

Big MS fan here as well. I started watching F1 back when it was MS and Eddie Irvine on the team...Mika Hakkinen, David Coulthard, Fisichella, Ralf Schumacher were all still racing...damn good memories watching the Australian GP when I was a kid.

I really hope Red Bull get their shit together and really get behind Ricciardo at this trial when it happens. It's a shame that everything happened the way it did, but there is no way in hell he should have had HIS points stripped, I still think they should have taken the Constructors points off of the team.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Good ol' Sydney. (Are you from the Gong, how do you know Lakemba? Haha)

Oh god yes! How amazing were the cars in that era? They were the best days... I remember dad used to tape the european races cause they were on too late for me, so he'd re-watch them with me the next day. Haha.

Dude, it sucks about Ricciardo... It definitely should have been the team that was penalised and not him. If it was Vettel that had the "problem", I doubt it would have worked out that way. *rolls eyes*

PS - bonus points for liking nin AND f1. I find it hard enough meeting people that like one of those things, let alone both. Lol.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    South Westen Sydney for me, I can bust out so many more of those types of joke as you would imagine, but I won't, haha

That era really is up there with the greatest times of F1. I would have loved to have been around when Senna was racing. Just watching old footage of him is insane enough.

I really hate Vettel. Not just because of the whole Webber/Vettel battle but because I genuinely think he's a dick. Sure, he's young and he's achieved a fair bit in his F1 career so far, but nobody should carry on the way he does, especially with his own team mates.

I find it hard enough meeting people who are willing to even pretend they're interested in speaking about the race on the Monday after, let alone anyone who is happy to have a discussion that lasts longer than 2 minutes followed by the awkward "So yeah...</football, golf, other sports I have no real interest in>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    anyone else around here sorta bummed about the NHL playoffs this year? there's not really a single team i'd like to see win, honestly. the one canadian team playing's my least favorite in the league.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I just want my motherfucking Dallas Mavericks to make the playoffs!!!!!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by segwaygarden View Post
    anyone else around here sorta bummed about the NHL playoffs this year? there's not really a single team i'd like to see win, honestly. the one canadian team playing's my least favorite in the league.
    I'm pretty content since my team is in the playoffs. Though I'm a little wary of playing the Kings in the first round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    I'm pretty content since my team is in the playoffs. Though I'm a little wary of playing the Kings in the first round.
    i don't think the kings are gonna make it far. honestly the only thing i'd like to see happen is the penguins not winning the cup. anyone else i'm fine with.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Anaheim vs. Dallas in 5
    San Jose vs. Los Angeles in 4
    Colorado vs. Minnesota in 5
    St. Louis vs. Chicago in 6

Boston vs. Detroit in 7
    Montreal vs. Tampa Bay in 6
    Pittsburgh vs. Columbus in 7
    New York vs. Philadelphia in 5

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by segwaygarden View Post
    i don't think the kings are gonna make it far. honestly the only thing i'd like to see happen is the penguins not winning the cup. anyone else i'm fine with.
    The Kings match up against the Sharks well. It'll be a good series. I can't see the Pens winning. They are so top heavy this year and their D is pencil thin. I feel like Boston has a walk in the park to the finals. But it's the playoffs so anything can happen.

Anywho, predictions

Anaheim vs. Dallas in 5
    San Jose vs. Los Angeles in 7
    Colorado vs. Minnesota in 6
    St. Louis vs. Chicago in 6

Boston vs. Detroit in 7
    Montreal vs. Tampa Bay in 6
    Pittsburgh vs. Columbus in 7
    New York vs. Philadelphia in 7

The first round is going to be so fun. San Jose/LA, Chicago/St. Louis, New York/Philly, Detroit/Boston.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This is disappointing. I was hoping they would take the points off the team, not him.

http://www.fia.com/international-cou...-14-april-2014

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I personally am done with hockey by April. It's a winter sport in my head.

However, I'm a Boston Bruin fan so will be rooting for them.

I've taken to watching a bit of Premier league futbol on Saturday mornings around here. I like rooting for Everton since they've got that American goal keep. Beyond that, I'm still asking my boyfriend lots of questions and reading wiki entries on how many freaking leagues there are in the UK alone, Yeeesh.
    Last edited by Dra508; 04-25-2014 at 07:32 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing8 View Post
    This is disappointing. I was hoping they would take the points off the team, not him.

http://www.fia.com/international-cou...-14-april-2014

Can't say I'm surprised really.. Sigh.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    the NHL playoffs are actually not grabbing my attention...not like last year *wink
    actually more interested in the NBA playoffs.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    What a game between the Habs and Bolts last night. Hockey playoffs at its best!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    That Stamkos coast to coast goal was so sweet. That OT was thrilling. Sharks/Kings tonight. I'm ready for a heart attack.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    interesting read about goalies. you playoff hockey types should enjoy.
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...better-goalie/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsipod View Post
    interesting read about goalies. you playoff hockey types should enjoy.
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...better-goalie/
    Excellent article. I have been really getting into the "advanced" stats part of the game this year. I mean, I don't calculate it or anything, but there are some pretty nerdy hockey blogs out there that cover things like this.

Goalie is definitely a weird position. Luck has a lot to do with it nowadays. How many truly elite goalies exist in today's NHL? How many goalies are propped up by an amazing defense? How many look bad because of a bad defense. It'll be interesting to see where the position goes in the next couple years.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Great first game! The Sharks were up 5-0 at one point. It's a little concerning that they almost let LA back in the game in the third, but I can understand wanting to play a little more conservatively up by 5. Great OT games as well.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    What a game! Wings take the closest game 1 I've seen them play in any series in about a decade! Shades of 2003 Babcock here. Take game 2 on Sunday and every pundit in the US and Canada will suddenly be eating some tasty crow!

EDIT:

Stay classy, Lucic.
    Last edited by Fifey; 04-18-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So the Chinese Grand Prix was awesome. Can't say I'm surprised about the Mercedes 1-2 but to see Alonso on the podium was awesome, especially consideringthe sstart of the race and all the colliding and whatnot. Good that Ricciardo seems to have a better understanding of the car and has taken the (Red) bull by the horns and is driving the absolute fuck out of it while Vettel is still whinging at the fact that nobody cares about him any more.

I felt a little bit sorry about Massa's pit stop that basically sent him to the back of the pack, he managed to recover well even though he didn't make points. Also I don't know if I missed it, but was there any investigation whatsoever into any of the collisions that happened off the start?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Sharks mauled the Kings once again. Still this series is far from over. Every forward on the Sharks has at least 2 points through the first two games. That's depth for you.

St. Louis/Chicago and Pittsburgh/Columbus have been the most entertaining for me so far.

Tough breaks for Tampa. This series could just as well be 2-1 in their favor with a bounce and then that bs no goal the other night.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Kerry Fraser explained the rule and said the call on the ice was the right one.

Rule 69.3

If a goalkeeper, in the act of establishing his position within his goal crease, initiates contact with an attacking player who is in the goal crease, and this results in an impairment of the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I stand corrected.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I couldn't find anywhere to watch the Grand Prix at the airport, SO ANNOYED! Alonso on the podium and it sounds like it was a good race. Wah.

I am going to get pretty sick of seeing these Mercedes 1-2s by the end of the season. Hopefully Vettel can pull the reigns in and figure out how to drive the car, mix things up a bit. In the meantime, I'm more than happy to watch Ricciardo do his thing.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifey View Post
    What a game! Wings take the closest game 1 I've seen them play in any series in about a decade! Shades of 2003 Babcock here. Take game 2 on Sunday and every pundit in the US and Canada will suddenly be eating some tasty crow!

EDIT:

Stay classy, Lucic.
    That was pretty shitty, I must admit. It's like he pulled the blade back too. Ouchie.

Next game, there was this:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Sharks have a chance to sweep the Kings on Thursday. Whouda thunk it?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    The Sharks have a chance to sweep the Kings on Thursday. Whouda thunk it?
    Definitely not me. Had the Kings in 5 as I predicted another epic choking by San Jose.
    I thought Quick would steal the show.

Happy to see the Habs sweeping the Bolts. Will be able to rest until Boston finishes Detroit. I have Boston in 6.