Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weezer

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Weezer

So...I've been enjoying getting to know them more, surprisingly.

Maladroit is resonating the best with me, so far.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I like the Green Album best. Hate Pinkerton.
    I actually enjoyed Make Believe. I've pretty much despised everything I've heard from the Red Album to the present.
    Rivers Cuomo got a life, got happy, and lost his talent.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 08-25-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Blue Album > Pinkerton > Green Album > Maladroit > Red Album > Raditude! > Hurley

Oddly enough, their albums and their release correspond with my liking of them in order, who'da thunk it?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    ^ You forgot Make Believe. lol Which I think I might actually buy. Along with Maladroit.

My version of Green got damaged or something because not all songs are playing. So I'll get to that later.

I tried Red a little bit... Weird take. I only like a few songs or so.

Blue and Pinkerton are cool...but I'm finding myself digging the halfway Weezer era much more than those. Blue is like one big hit...not necessarily a bad thing..."In The Garage" being my favorite there. Pinkerton, while kinda showing different soundscape, has a sappy/über emo vibe I'm not really one to take to. A little too much yell...wah wah. Maybe if I grew up with these albums, like a lot of people apparently did...
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-28-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Blue Album" and "Pinkerton" is all i care from them, but i liked "We're all on drugs", great song!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Omg, listening to Maladroit more and more...all ya'll are insane.

Album's quite solid.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    whoa, I thought they broke up... but they have three more albums?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    ^ You forgot Make Believe. lol Which I think I might actually buy. Along with Maladroit.

My version of Green got damaged or something because not all songs are playing. So I'll get to that later.

I tried Red a little bit... Weird take. I only like a few songs or so.

Blue and Pinkerton are cool...but I'm finding myself digging the halfway Weezer era much more than those. Blue is like one big hit...not necessarily a bad thing..."In The Garage" being my favorite there. Pinkerton, while kinda showing different soundscape, has a sappy/über emo vibe I'm not really one to take to. A little too much yell...wah wah. Maybe if I grew up with these albums, like a lot of people apparently did...
    I did but I still think I'd put it in order with favoritism with chronology as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hey, I'm no Weezer fan but I come in peace! I just want to comment that I've read a lot about them through forums and blogs, and I think the relationship some people have with this band is insane! They have their dedicated followers, like all successful bands, but they also have way more than their fair share of apologists ("Make Believe isn't that bad if you listen to it underwater! I still skip 'Beverly Hills' though"), and a large amount of people who take their existence personally. Do you guys remember that story from 2010, when that guy from Seattle tried to raise $10,000,000.00 to pay to Weezer if only they'd stop making music? Who else attracts that sort of venom? Even friggin' Nickelback don't have people trying to pay them to go away yet. Even weirder to me are the hardcore Pinkerton fans. You guys know the type, right? They're usually male and they got into Weezer either in their late teens or in their first couple years of college, and they love Pinkerton so much that they kind of think that they wrote it. As a seriously casual Weezer listener, I've always wondered what it is about them that kind of drives people crazy. Do you guys have any insights?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    Hey, I'm no Weezer fan but I come in peace! I just want to comment that I've read a lot about them through forums and blogs, and I think the relationship some people have with this band is insane! They have their dedicated followers, like all successful bands, but they also have way more than their fair share of apologists ("Make Believe isn't that bad if you listen to it underwater! I still skip 'Beverly Hills' though"), and a large amount of people who take their existence personally. Do you guys remember that story from 2010, when that guy from Seattle tried to raise $10,000,000.00 to pay to Weezer if only they'd stop making music? Who else attracts that sort of venom? Even friggin' Nickelback don't have people trying to pay them to go away yet. Even weirder to me are the hardcore Pinkerton fans. You guys know the type, right? They're usually male and they got into Weezer either in their late teens or in their first couple years of college, and they love Pinkerton so much that they kind of think that they wrote it. As a seriously casual Weezer listener, I've always wondered what it is about them that kind of drives people crazy. Do you guys have any insights?
    Not quite sure, but i think it has something to do with the "Nerdiness" of the band, and Cuomo's (apparently not) pretentious lyrics and look, i think it has many "dedicated followers" mostly because of the hype of the first album and Pinkerton's "cult status" filled with Cuomo's "teenage angst", many fans relate to this record in a huge way (hell im not even a big fan and i like the record a lot) in a way that they made the band "their band" so i guess that's why many people are "broken hearted" with their lack of direction and ideas.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i used to feel that way about pinkerton when i was a young, impressionable, nerdy lad, but then i realized that obsessing so much over a girl who just isn't interested is not romantic at all, but is instead very creepy and potentially sexist. after that, the illusion was broken, though i occasionally enjoy a track or two from the blue album.

in another thread (i think it was controversial music opinions), i made a point that weezer was always a sell-out sort of band, so it does always make me laugh when die hard original fans chastise the band for going in a more commercial direction. the first record, while boasting some excellent songs, was careerist from the get-go (ric ocasek on the decks, spike jonze video, balls-out-geeky image), so it's funny when hardcore fans try to paint them as an indie gone gone sellout.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    What I like about Weezer (Green Album does this best) is pop songs with metal riffs. There just isn't enough of this type of music: the catchiness of pop, the heaviness and distortion of metal.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    ...i liked "We're all on drugs", great song!

That music video... lol

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    That music video... lol
    I think as far as his videos go, they (almost) never disappoint!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I actually think I will buy Red, too. The experience grew on me some, believe it.

"Crab" and "Smile" are the absolute top picks from Green...but some songs are kinda terrible to me.

Maladroit is still the dopest of them all.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Back in the studio with Ric Ocasek!

They really need to ditch the Disney tunes for a return to form

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Now if the record sounded like that YT clip with a rawer production that would certainly be something...but I'm sure Rivers will find a way to get it too much of clean, polished and plastic feel like every record post 1996 has had.

I know, I know...I'm one of those hipsters that lives, dies and swears by Pinkerton but there's a reason why that album is so beloved. You listen to bands like Cloud Nothings and you really get a sense of the neurotic white boy tendencies floating around in Rivers and co's music at that time. It still holds up very well and I honestly think that Matt Sharp and Rivers were the main reasons those first two records are so great still. When Matt left the band, in my opinion, the material and sound of the band went downhill. I know Rivers is the main creative force but distancing himself from Pinkerton (then donned a failure) and losing Matt were some of the first missteps for Weezer. They obviously recovered commercially but creatively, they've been floating around in the abyss for over ten years.

Because of my love for the first self titled and Pinkerton, I'm always willing to hear what the band comes out with...but it usually just ends up a disappointment but I still enjoy giving them a try each year a new record comes.

Speaking of Matt Sharp though, apparently the Rentals have new material they're writing so that should be exciting.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    we have an album title...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    also, this happened:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I love Weezer's first two records. But the fact remains that everything released after that has been mostly shit in the most extreme way. It's been hard to take them seriously since 2001.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Now if the record sounded like that YT clip with a rawer production that would certainly be something...but I'm sure Rivers will find a way to get it too much of clean, polished and plastic feel like every record post 1996 has had.

I know, I know...I'm one of those hipsters that lives, dies and swears by Pinkerton but there's a reason why that album is so beloved. You listen to bands like Cloud Nothings and you really get a sense of the neurotic white boy tendencies floating around in Rivers and co's music at that time. It still holds up very well and I honestly think that Matt Sharp and Rivers were the main reasons those first two records are so great still. When Matt left the band, in my opinion, the material and sound of the band went downhill. I know Rivers is the main creative force but distancing himself from Pinkerton (then donned a failure) and losing Matt were some of the first missteps for Weezer. They obviously recovered commercially but creatively, they've been floating around in the abyss for over ten years.

Because of my love for the first self titled and Pinkerton, I'm always willing to hear what the band comes out with...but it usually just ends up a disappointment but I still enjoy giving them a try each year a new record comes.

Speaking of Matt Sharp though, apparently the Rentals have new material they're writing so that should be exciting.

Yeah I don't know what the fuck happened to this band after the 90s ended. I think youre right in that Matt probably had a lot more to do with the awesomeness of those first two records than given credit for. The new Rentals track is damn good. To me it sounds like Return of The Rentals and Seven More Minutes had steamy nerd sex and made a moog baby. Really looking forward to that album coming out.

I'm an admitted Ocasek fanboy, and if anybody can talk the Weez into making a great record it's him, but even The Green album was pretty mediocre in retrospect and pretty much everything else they've released since 2001 save for a handful of tunes. I don't have high expectations, but will reserve judgment til I hear the damn thing.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    Yeah I don't know what the fuck happened to this band after the 90s ended. I think youre right in that Matt probably had a lot more to do with the awesomeness of those first two records than given credit for. The new Rentals track is damn good. To me it sounds like Return of The Rentals and Seven More Minutes had steamy nerd sex and made a moog baby. Really looking forward to that album coming out.

I'm an admitted Ocasek fanboy, and if anybody can talk the Weez into making a great record it's him, but even The Green album was pretty mediocre in retrospect and pretty much everything else they've released since 2001 save for a handful of tunes. I don't have high expectations, but will reserve judgment til I hear the damn thing.
    Exactly, they're promoting this like some kind of return to form and it is with Ocasek back in the picture but he did help write The Green Album which I can't even finish listening to anymore. Of course, 2001 was a different time so who knows.

Glad we're in agreement on that Rentals track!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I like that the new album has creepy art work

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    I like that the new album has creepy art work

Wait a minute...I've seen these before.
    http://twistedsifter.com/2012/04/add...ore-paintings/

Anyway, it's really going for a mixture of that Pinkerton and Where the Wild Things Are vibe.

That is sounding good but MAN those drums really should be mixed louder. =(

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    And we have a release date now!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'll give it a stab. I didn't like Hurley really and Raditude! was a bit flat. I REALLY enjoyed the Red Album. Here's to hoping it's more in that direction.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    welp. I guess I should not have gotten my hopes up too high.

Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post