Page 97 of 154 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 147 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 4612

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I never watched Breaking Bad when it was actually on the air, but today, after starting back in August not long after I joined Netflix, I finally reached the conclusion of the series. To say this was a show worthy of the praise it got would be an understatement.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Here is what I watched this year for the first time. I didn't count movies I'd already seen before. They are generally in order of how much I liked them.

Not as many as I'd like, but I have a real problem finding movies to watch. I'm so goddamn picky. It's not unusual that I spend an entire afternoon (5-6 hours) looking for something to watch...only to not find anything and go to sleep frustrated. I hope to fix this in 2017. I don't see it happening though. Any time I settle and just start a movie I'm not too excited for, it almost always ends up sucking and keeping me bored the entire time.

Although the best thing ever is when I'm just like "Ugh, fine whatever! I'll just watch this dumb movie since I can't decide on anything" and then it ends up being a super great movie. This was the case with quite a few of the things on this list, e.g. Green Room, Hell or High Water, A Most Wanted Man, Blood Father and Get The Gringo. That's a great feeling. But often times like I said, the movie ends up totally blowing, e.g. The Score, The Infiltrator, Recount.

But yeah, I'd like to force myself to watch a lot more movies in 2017. There are a ton of classics I need to watch. I just have a really hard time very often watching movies older than like... 2000. It's really terrible. I'm just so spoiled by HD and fantastic cinematography that the visual quality of movies older than like ~2 decades really pulls me out of the movie. I should really also be less dependant on RT scores, but meh. There are very times I watch a movie and think "This is great!" and it has a lot RT score, and very times I watch a movie and think "This sucks!" and it has a high RT score. It happens, but it usually lines up pretty well (when I don't know the RT score beforehand.)

I dunno, I just fucking love a good movie, but I'm so picky and finicky it's a big issue.

And finally - can you guys recommend some 2016 movies that aren't on this list that I should be watching? Or any movies you think I might like really. Thanks!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    The Strain is cool. First season is a little shaky but season 2 was awesome. I have 3 episodes left in season 3 but it's also been good.
    Started The Strain. Binged watched 8 episodes today. Loving it! Can't wait to dig in season 2 if it's better than the first.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

my wife, our friend jon, and i LOVE watching bad movies together, and today this was our feature.
    it's actually pretty good for a bad movie. written & directed by michael chricton, gene simmons (yes, from KISS) as the villain, kirstie alley in a supporting role, talking robots...it was a hell of a lot of fun. also cool to hear an all-electronic jerry goldsmith score!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finally getting around to watching Angels In America.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Watched The Neon Demon last night. Visually stunning and teh soundtrack was super. Still haven't decided if I liked it or not. Reminded me a lot of Lynch especially of Mulholland Drive.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Watched The Neon Demon last night. Visually stunning and teh soundtrack was super. Still haven't decided if I liked it or not. Reminded me a lot of Lynch especially of Mulholland Drive.
    oh, that makes me want to watch it super a lot.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    oh, that makes me want to watch it super a lot.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Mozart in the Jungle, started binge watching with Season One

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Cross of Iron by Sam Peckinpah starring James Coburn, Maximillian Schell, James Mason, and David Warner. Orson Welles was right about this film as it is a phenomenal war movie. It's bloody, it's thrilling, it also has characters to care about as well as things behind the scenes about what goes on in war and how class is involved. It's a shame that the film was overlooked because Star Wars was out at the time and this is often considered to be the last great film Sam Peckinpah ever did.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

short but fucking hilarious.
    (thanks, kidlet.)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    short doc about a kid who purposely gets his phone stolen so he can survey and learn about the thief.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    BBC Planet Earth II. This is just 10/10 without any hesitation (marks). Remarkable. I'd go to 6-hour marathon of this in cinema immediately.
    Last edited by Substance242; 12-18-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Watched "Jason Bourne" the other day, I liked it. It was like a greatest hits with a solid new track on it.

Weekly programming is Elementary, Big Bang Theory and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ... but I've just started Blunt Talk and Con Man and the past couple of seasons of Parts Unknown. Cutthroat Kitchen gets watched occasionally too...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Convoy by Sam Peckinpah starring Kris Kristofferson and Ali MacGraw. Now I can see why many call this Peckinpah's worst film. It definitely shows a filmmaker being neutered to create a fucking ripoff of Smokey and the Bandit but with trucks and Ernest Borgnine as Smokey. It tries to be funny and it isn't. Plus, it is obvious from watching this that Peckinpah didn't have final cut and definitely didn't give a fuck about the film altogether as it fit in with the rest of his work (w/ the exception of The Osterman Weekend which I hope to see before the end of the year to finish my exploration of Sam Peckinpah) which is often about loners dealing with the modern world or some aspect of a new world order.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Probably one of my all time favorite comedy lines

Sadly I haven't watched this film in years.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So like, i haven't really seen any good movies this year.

What is good? "I don't even know what's good anymore! (David Bowie as Andy Warhol voice)"

What is the hot ticket that is available to stream or on dvd? What is out that will get an oscar nod?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So like, i haven't really seen any good movies this year.

What is good? "I don't even know what's good anymore! (David Bowie as Andy Warhol voice)"

What is the hot ticket that is available to stream or on dvd? What is out that will get an oscar nod?
    I hate the term "good" as it is subjective and entirely up to a certain individual. As far as schmaltzy goes nothing rings a bell for awards or what not. A good film I heard people praise a lot this year is Hacksaw Ridge though. Maybe try there?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I hate the term "good" as it is subjective and entirely up to a certain individual. As far as schmaltzy goes nothing rings a bell for awards or what not. A good film I heard people praise a lot this year is Hacksaw Ridge though. Maybe try there?
    but hacksaw ridge isn't available on dvd yet and i live 90 miles from the nearest theater.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just finished season 2 of Narcos.
    While I liked it in general, I felt this season featured too much filler material. I get it, you've got 10 episode order, you have to fill them. Still, the entire seasons 1-2 story could've been told in one 13-episode run without any quality loss.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The Osterman Weekend by Sam Peckinpah. The man's final film that is based on a Robert Ludlum novel. So far, it's pretty good though a bit messy and the Blu-Ray transfer is a bit dodgy.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Space Suicide

by "good" i mean well acted, well written, that sort of thing. Oh, wait. That's no different than saying good.

Okay how about this. Yes, films and all art are INSANELY subjective. And a lot of my favorite movies, especially horror movies, get awful ratings.
    But generally, MOST of the time, when a movie is near universally praised, there is SOMETHING there you know?
    And not all critically acclaimed movies are inherently overly sentimental.

I most definitely understand what you mean though.

Let me try this another way:
    Hey everybody. What movies have you seen from 2016 that you enjoyed and would reccomend to me?
    And it would be particularly helpful if they were, you know, "available for purchase."

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @Space Suicide

by "good" i mean well acted, well written, that sort of thing. Oh, wait. That's no different than saying good.

Okay how about this. Yes, films and all art are INSANELY subjective. And a lot of my favorite movies, especially horror movies, get awful ratings.
    But generally, MOST of the time, when a movie is near universally praised, there is SOMETHING there you know?
    And not all critically acclaimed movies are inherently overly sentimental.

I most definitely understand what you mean though.

Let me try this another way:
    Hey everybody. What movies have you seen from 2016 that you enjoyed and would reccomend to me?
    And it would be particularly helpful if they were, you know, "available for purchase."
    I was just taking the piss with my comment. What I've gathered is that for a movie to be universally acclaimed these days is have huge social commentary, be based on a real life event or be something special to a certain group of people. Usually what gets "universally good" status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Reggie Watts is freaking hilarious.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    started out the new year with a classic that my wife had never seen (and i hadn't seen in about 20 years) - Krull

the visual effects in the movie hold up surprisingly well; i'd always rather see a slightly cheesy practical effect than even remotely shitty CGI (and let's be honest, a lot of CGI is pretty shitty), because the practical effects never pull me out of the reality of the world, even if they're not the best.

the movie itself is a bit slow at points, but i still thoroughly enjoyed it. i'm amazed for how many movies like this i loved as a kid, i never really read any fantasy books, even though both of my parents like the genre.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Watched "The Accountant" and enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    A film which won the best foreign film at last years Oscars, it also won the main prize at the Cannes film festival in 2015.

Son of Saul.....Hungarian holocaust film, imagine if you combined, Children of Men with Schindlers list....yes i know that sounds depressing this is a holocaust picture...and there have been many.
    But its so beautifuly shot...a lot of long takes.....the last 30 minutes are stunning.
    Its horrific but just films the situation in a really unique way...also interesting seeing it from a Hungarian perspective.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    also watched "when harry met sally" yesterday, which i had never seen. what a great movie.

today, we watched david lynch's Dune, which i hadn't seen since i was about ten (like Krull). jeez, barron harkonen is nasty, but wtf with people thinking the film was homophobic because of the portrayal of that character?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Well he had an Eros/Thanatos rapport to his male slave, in that one scene. And his admiration for Feyd is kinda iffy. So you have a fat nasty floating psychopath with a subtext of homosexual desires (and incestuous ones too).

But calling that homophobic feels like jumping the gun a little.

Although you have to admit, adding an homosexual subtext to the vast array of murderous, sadistic, egomaniacal tendencies of that character feels a bit like throwing gays under the bus.
    As opposed to Paul the Human (as defined in the Gom-Jabbar scene) you have Vladimir the Beast, who manifestly happens to also like to fuck guys. Doesn't sound like being gay is a redeeming quality here.
    Last edited by Khrz; 01-02-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Well he had an Eros/Thanatos rapport to his male slave, in that one scene. And his admiration for Feyd is kinda iffy. So you have a fat nasty floating psychopath with a subtext of homosexual desires (and incestuous ones too).

But calling that homophobic feels like jumping the gun a little.

Although you have to admit, adding an homosexual subtext to the vast array of murderous, sadistic, egomaniacal tendencies of that character feels a bit like throwing gays under the bus.
    As opposed to Paul the Human (as defined in the Gom-Jabbar scene) you have Vladimir the Beast, who manifestly happens to also like to fuck guys. Doesn't sound like being gay is a redeeming quality here.
    no, that's totally fair. BUT, the barron is gay and just as awful in the books, from my understanding...so if anything, the homophobic aspects come from the source text, not david lynch. the idea of lynch being homophobic is pretty laughable to me.