Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Mogwai

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I know it sounds like a "touch all bases" type album, but it sounds great after a couple of drinks.

That said, they'll never beat Happy Songs for Happy People, or Rock Action.

But then, I'm from Glasgow, so, eh.

Edit: Old Poisons is up there, though.
    Last edited by DF118; 09-01-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Anybody else experiencing a delay at local record shops for this new record? Love Garden told me they're now expecting CD + Vinyl on Sept 22nd. I put in my order for the box set there, just wondering about other people's experiences.

I've only listened to Every Country's Sun a couple times since the leak. It definitely sounds like a Mogwai record. Everything post-Rock Action has been a slow grower for me. Every record is superb, but I think I already like these songs more than Hardcore or Rave Tapes... time well tell

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I wasn't hugely fond of Rave Tapes, but really dug Hardcore Will Never Die, but then Hawk is Howling.. hated that at first, then somewhere down the line it became a favourite, this new one though? lovely, getting real old school Smashing Pumpkins vibes from Battered at a Scramble, and the slow burning tracks never out stay their welcome.

Happy Song will probably remain my personal fav, but this is certainly up there with Mr Beast and Hardcore for my personal Mogwai favs list. Love the B-side 'eternal Panther'.. I think there are also enough vocal tracks by them now that I could scrape together a 'Mogwai songs with vocals' mix cd...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Mixed opinions, i dig it...

I think this album is a grower, not the best and not the worst, i liked "Rave Tapes" better, but i also think this album has lots of quality and can be listened at any moment (unlike "Tapes" or "Hawk is howling"); that's why i compared it to "Rock Action".

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasisity View Post
    Anybody else experiencing a delay at local record shops for this new record? Love Garden told me they're now expecting CD + Vinyl on Sept 22nd. I put in my order for the box set there, just wondering about other people's experiences.

I've only listened to Every Country's Sun a couple times since the leak. It definitely sounds like a Mogwai record. Everything post-Rock Action has been a slow grower for me. Every record is superb, but I think I already like these songs more than Hardcore or Rave Tapes... time well tell

Temporary Residence Ltd. is their US label. The CD is out on the 8th and the record is out on the 22nd. But the box set is delayed due to pressing plant backups.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I'm liking this album a lot. Much better than their soundtrack for the bbc and their last album.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Cross-post...

Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    I checked with my local shop and they said it is a Worldwide release. Looks like the UK is getting the larger portion though.
    It is exclusive to the UK and Ireland; I believe they misread/misinterpreted the information and may not have had the last part:

 it is available as a heavyweight white vinyl with download code and this format will only be available as a limited run worldwide and has been produced especially for record store day 2018.  limited to 2000 for the uk and ireland

Any remaining stock will be available to purchase online in a week (from places like Resident Music).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Can I have some Mogwai advice please? I’m going to see them live on Monday, are they the sort of band you need earplugs for?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Can I have some Mogwai advice please? I’m going to see them live on Monday, are they the sort of band you need earplugs for?
    Yes, it's a wise idea to bring earplugs.
    Even though they have lots of "quiet" parts on the show, you will hear lots of noise and i mean LOTS, they also like to play really loud, so beware

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    the mogwai soundtrack was the best thing about the film "kin"

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    the mogwai soundtrack was the best thing about the film "kin"
    I didn't watch the film, but the soundtrack was good, but my favorite soundtrack by them it's "Atomic"

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    the last time i saw them, i was front & center and could barely hear for like a full 24 hours after the show. bring earplugs (and not the cheap foam ones)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Thanks @eversonpoe and @henryeatscereal earplugs have been ordered.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah I've learned kind of not fuck around with shoegaze/noise bands like Caspian, Nothing, etc. Fuck, even two-piece garage rock band Blood Red Shoes who were opening for dance /electronic act The Presets had my ears ringing for two days later but I was stupidly right in front of the girl's amp. This is probably aged me talking, but most things at small clubs earplugs are probably a great idea. Bigger rooms, especially arenas and amphitheaters really have space for the sound to move around. You're just stuck inside a noise trap otherwise and even if you think you're superman, you really are doing irreparable damage if you see enough shows. Good earplugs shouldn't worsen the sound.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Yeah I've learned kind of not fuck around with shoegaze/noise bands like Caspian, Nothing, etc. Fuck, even two-piece garage rock band Blood Red Shoes who were opening for dance /electronic act The Presets had my ears ringing for two days later but I was stupidly right in front of the girl's amp. This is probably aged me talking, but most things at small clubs earplugs are probably a great idea. Bigger rooms, especially arenas and amphitheaters really have space for the sound to move around. You're just stuck inside a noise trap otherwise and even if you think you're superman, you really are doing irreparable damage if you see enough shows. Good earplugs shouldn't worsen the sound.
    In my experience, really good earplugs make it easier to pick out the individual instruments and lyrics. This may just be me, but when things are super loud, I kind of get overloaded and just hear the most intense parts of the instrumentation and have a really hard time with understanding the lyrics. Wearing earplugs completely changed the concert experience for me.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    In an annoying turn of events I’ve caught a shitty cold and won’t be able to go to see them tonight, grr so pissed off. I was really looking forward to this

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    In an annoying turn of events I’ve caught a shitty cold and won’t be able to go to see them tonight, grr so pissed off. I was really looking forward to this
    Such a shame, i hope you get to watch them because they are great live!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Wow, this thread hasn't been touched in a while.
    Thought it worth noting that the new Mogwai soundtrack album for ZeroZeroZero is up on Bandcamp as pay what you want. This is for a limited period only.
    I've not been able to give it a listen yet, but I'm going to assume it will be pretty good.
    https://mogwai.bandcamp.com/album/zerozerozero

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Wow, this thread hasn't been touched in a while.
    Thought it worth noting that the new Mogwai soundtrack album for ZeroZeroZero is up on Bandcamp as pay what you want. This is for a limited period only.
    I've not been able to give it a listen yet, but I'm going to assume it will be pretty good.
    Thanks for bumping, haven't heard the soundtrack, but i'm gonna as soon as i deliver some stupid work files...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    BTW, Today is the last day you can use the "pay-what-you-can" option for downloading the new album on bandcamp.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

https://www.temporaryresidence.com/p...37225731129513

new mogwai album up for pre-order. as has become standard, there's a deluxe box set edition (very reasonably priced at $55, for how much you get). unfortunately, i can't afford it right now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tracklist:

1. To The Bin My Friend, Tonight We Vacate Earth

2. Here We, Here We, Here We Go Forever

3. Dry Fantasy

4. Ritchie Sacramento

5. Drive The Nail

6. Fuck Off Money

7. Ceiling Granny

8. Midnight Flit

9. Pat Stains

10. Supposedly, We Were Nightmares

11. It’s What I Want To Do, Mum

Mogwai have the best song titles, man.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

https://www.temporaryresidence.com/p...37225731129513

new mogwai album up for pre-order. as has become standard, there's a deluxe box set edition (very reasonably priced at $55, for how much you get). unfortunately, i can't afford it right now.
    Album art is gorgeous!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Beautiful song/video!

I just found out that the new album features a contribution by Atticus Ross:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Album art is gorgeous!
    Reminds me of Stan Brakhage.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    Reminds me of Stan Brakhage.
    Wasn't familiar with his work, but looks good! gotta check one of his movies...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Mogwai will stream a live performance premiere of "As the Love Continues"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    awesome song and video, i'm glad this has joined the "Mogwai with lyrics" playlist!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Can't get "Ritchie Sacramento", out of my head...