Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Hmmmm, without unlocking the screen? I don't think so, no. After unlocking screen, use Quick Settings. Swipe the screen from top to bottom with one finger. See "Vibrate" at the top, scroll right to left to see the buttons along top. Swipe down with two fingers, you can customize the Quick Settings buttons. Personally, I hated the button on the side of the phone because I accidentally hit it a few times and didn't know it.

Thanks!

I did accidently hit that button quite often on the iPhone as well.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Thanks!

I did accidently hit that button quite often on the iPhone as well.

actually, you'll see "Sound" (speaker symbol) at the top in Quick Settings, and that cycles through "Vibrate," "Mute" and "Sound." Sorry.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm thinking of switching from my iPad I've had for nearly 3 years to another tablet, and I'm curious about ones not made by Apple. The Amazon Fire HDX 8.9 has caught my eye. One thing worries me though, if I switch from Apple to another company will I not be able to transfer everything I bought on the iPad to the new device?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Alright, I am HUGE into music. I am Schizoaffective too. So listening to music drowns everything out and it's my own sort of therapy. Well since I've done so good lately my family wanted to get me Bose QuitComfort 20i noise cancelling headphones for my phone for my Birthday . Heres the link. http://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComf...ose+headphones Are these the best ones to get? Or should I forwarn them to get something different? OR is Bose really the best for Noise cancellation?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quick question, how come they don't make 2K television's??

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Quick question, how come they don't make 2K television's??
    Because they more or less already do. The 2K video standard is 2048 pixels wide but still only 1080 pixels high. So 1080p HDTV is 1.9K — close enough to 2K not to matter.

Same reason that "4K" TVs are 3840 x 2160 instead of 4096 x 2160.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Because they more or less already do. The 2K video standard is 2048 pixels wide but still only 1080 pixels high. So 1080p HDTV is 1.9K — close enough to 2K not to matter.

Same reason that "4K" TVs are 3840 x 2160 instead of 4096 x 2160.
    See that is what I figured. I got into an argument last night with a friend with him saying that 2K televisions do not exist. I said, they may not be displayed a "2K TV", but the wide resolution is different.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Dont know if this is the right place, but what is the best website to watch free newly released films or catch up on TV shows. Im not talking about Netflix. The cinema is too expensive in 2015, its a joke. All my old favourite streaming sites have been blocked or turned into graveyards. Im really out of the loop, Have any new ones sprung up recently? Dont have to post the link just names of the sites would be good!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    It's been a long minute but I used to have luck with sidereel(sp). Otherwise I torrent stuffs.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    Alright, I am HUGE into music. I am Schizoaffective too. So listening to music drowns everything out and it's my own sort of therapy. Well since I've done so good lately my family wanted to get me Bose QuitComfort 20i noise cancelling headphones for my phone for my Birthday . Heres the link. http://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComf...ose+headphones Are these the best ones to get? Or should I forwarn them to get something different? OR is Bose really the best for Noise cancellation?
    This is very late, but I've been told that Bose are just overpriced and you're sure to find comparable products for less cost. Having said that, I have had the on ear noise cancelling headphones from Bose for like 5 years and just replaced them for a lower than retail price by Bose. One of the cords had frayed and an ear pad was a bit worn so I like the fact that Bose does a good job of taking care of their customers. For a company like that, loyalty is really important and allows them to keep their prices higher than off-shore companies.

My question. Anyone know a good add on for firefox for bookmarks? Honestly, I just keep adding bookmarks and really have done a shitty job putting them into appropriate folders. Not sure what I'm looking for so ask what others have done to keep up.. Thanks

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    I read decent reviews of those. I myself just bought the same style just not nose canceling a couple weeks back and really like them. I'm not a big fan of in ear buds but these fit me pretty well and sound pretty good imo. They are the first pair of headphones I've spent any real money on pretty much though. Not sure the price difference for those but the ones I got I guess we're the hundo I put down.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Windows 7. Last night my monitor went dark and had to physically reboot my computer. Next I was greeted with Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32 hal.dll Tried to reboot again a couple times to the same effect. I turned my computer on this morning to troubleshoot and everything is fine. I read that this is a common Windows problem and there are a number of ways to try and fix it. Since the problem seemed to take care of it self should I be worried or take preventive measures (if there are any) ?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Windows 7. Last night my monitor went dark and had to physically reboot my computer. Next I was greeted with Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32 hal.dll Tried to reboot again a couple times to the same effect. I turned my computer on this morning to troubleshoot and everything is fine. I read that this is a common Windows problem and there are a number of ways to try and fix it. Since the problem seemed to take care of it self should I be worried or take preventive measures (if there are any) ?
    Hmmm. My only worry would be that the computer seems to have had a problem communicating with your hard drive. It asked for hal.dll and the hard drive said, "Sorry, no one here by that name." Asked the same question this morning and got a totally different answer.

I hate that shit.

Might be nothing, might be a bad SATA cable, or it might be advance warning of a hard drive failure. If you aren't making regular backups online or to another hard drive, I'd be looking to replace the drive ASAP, just to be safe. (And even if you do have a good backup I'd replace the drive anyway, just maybe with slightly less urgency.)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I am setting up a desktop (seperate power source) external HDD to be used exclusively with my Blu-ray player. I have already formatted the drive to exFAT (which I've verified will work); do I also need to use the "Format" option on the Blu-ray player before I put music on the HDD? I'm not sure if it sets up seperate, needed partitions or if it just acts the same as formatting from a PC.

Edit: Blu-ray player is a Toshiba Symbio BDX5500KU and the HDD is a Toshiba Canvio 2TB.
    Last edited by Jon; 04-21-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    OK. So my fiance and I are talking about what FiOS speed to get. Basic usage = we're both going to be on at nights doing work on our respective laptops while streaming video. Should we go for the 25 Mbps or 50?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    OK. So my fiance and I are talking about what FiOS speed to get. Basic usage = we're both going to be on at nights doing work on our respective laptops while streaming video. Should we go for the 25 Mbps or 50?
    How big is the price difference between the speeds? I personally would just get 50 but that's because I download and stream a lot of stuff.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    How big is the price difference between the speeds? I personally would just get 50 but that's because I download and stream a lot of stuff.
    It's tiered. 25 mbps = $45/mo, 50 mbps = $55/mo, 75 mbps = $65/mo. They claim the 75 is the "best value", but if we're not using that much when I'm watching Netflix on one TV while she's working on microstation on her laptop, I don't see the value in another $10/mo.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    It's tiered. 25 mbps = $45/mo, 50 mbps = $55/mo, 75 mbps = $65/mo. They claim the 75 is the "best value", but if we're not using that much when I'm watching Netflix on one TV while she's working on microstation on her laptop, I don't see the value in another $10/mo.
    Yeah 75 is an overkill for your case. I'd say get the 50 just in case you two decide to add more devices to your house.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    You're fine with 50 Mbps, as virushopper already stated. I don't know what quality you stream Netflix in, but they are currently at ~15.6 Mbps for Ultra HD content. Netflix recommends 25, but even still you'd have plenty of spare bandwidth for new devices with the 50 Mbps plan.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Had a bit of a brown-out this evening while I was "playing" Netflix on my PS4, and I think it may have died. The surge protector has some other electronics plugged into it and they're all fine, but the PS4 is clicking and not powering up.

I tried using a different outlet and plug, but I'm thinking the power supply is tripped or has been fried. The machine is out of warranty, so I'm pondering trying to replace it (thank goodness for iFixIt). It appears to be a common problem, but I was curious if anyone here had gone through the experience and if they had any tips.

Someone uploaded a video which adequately shows my issue:

*edit* Well, I decided to finish my Yamazaki 18 and take the fucker apart to see what's what. I blew a lot of compressed air to clear out the light dust that settled around the fan and removed the power supply to see if there was any scorch marks. Everything looked normal, so I put it back together and got it up and running. I'm going out tomorrow to get a stronger surge protector and we'll see how long she stays running.

*2nd edit* I've cycled the power a couple of times and she runs like a champ, but if there's a brown-out something gets tripped and it goes on life-support. Then I have to remove the power supply and let it reset before it will power back up. I'm just trying to be as delicate as possible and wait for the updated version to come out before I try and sell this one.
    Last edited by FULLMETAL; 06-20-2015 at 03:35 AM. Reason: it's almost been a month

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    There is a RetroDuo 2-in-1 console on groupon I am looking at right now. I still have some games but my old SNES is fucked. Anyone have any experience with one of these? The reviews say it's good for SNES games but not good for NES games apparently.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-ret...143_adtype*pla

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    It's not so much a question, but I just installed RTM version of Windows 10 and I really really like it. Microsoft really step up their game since the abomination that Windows 8 was

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    There is a whitish horizontal line on my monitor. I'm not sure if it's simply stuck pixels or dead pixels because the line doesn't appear on darker colors. I thought stuck pixels and dead pixels appeared no matter the color? And I'm positive it has nothing to do with my video card because when I hook up another monitor, it's not there.

Also, when I woke up and turned my computer onto day, the line had faded some, so now it's harder to see today than it was yesterday.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    First of all, here is the tracklisting for Disc Four of Underworld's Dubnobasswithmyheadman (Super Deluxe Edition):

1. Concord (3 Comp75 id9 A1771 Aug 93A)
    2. Dark & Long (1st ruff id3 A1551 2)
    3. Mmm...Skyscraper I Love You (A1765 Sky Version id4. Harmone6 COMP43)
    4. Mmm...Skyscraper I Love You (After sky id6 1551 2)
    5. Can You Feel Me? (from A4796)
    6. Birdstar (A1558 Nov 92B.1)
    7. Dirty Epic (Dirty Ambi Piano A1764 Oct 91)
    8. Spoonman (version1 A1559 Nov92)
    9. Organ (Eclipse version from A4796)
    10. Cowgirl (Alt Cowgirl C69 Mix from A1564)

Are the A0000 denotations different types of reel to reel tapes in every case, or are some of them acetates, etc? I can't seem to find all of the specific product numbers. For instance, how is A1551 used in terms of music storage?

EDIT: I think C69 is for cassette?
    Last edited by Jon; 08-17-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i went on the deep web for the first time tonight. it was boring. are there any sites worth visiting outside the hidden wiki?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    this thing is SO COOL and i want it but i shouldn't spend another $100 right now :/

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Considering buying an Amazon Fire TV Stick. Anybody own one? I ditched cable a few years back and use Netflix and a couple of streaming sites now. Am wondering if this adds anything worthwhile.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    Considering buying an Amazon Fire TV Stick. Anybody own one? I ditched cable a few years back and use Netflix and a couple of streaming sites now. Am wondering if this adds anything worthwhile.
    We own an Amazon Fire TV which is the bigger hard drive version of the stick, and compared to Apple TV we like it a lot (except I can't do Airplay from my iPad but whatever). It's easy to use, especially the ability to TALK into the remote (hold down the voice button and tell it the movie or show you're looking for). Although the newer Fire TV comes with Alexa, that would be kinda cool. If you have Prime, the free documentary access is awesome, including access to tons of PBS docs like The Roosevelts.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-02-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Why doesn’t the damn Video Game Music thread work?

Edit: Never mind, the page finally loaded, but none of the video links seem to work.
    Last edited by Dr Channard; 01-16-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So, a friend asked me to transfer some files from his MacBook to his external hard drive to free up some space. So I move them, and look at his hard drive to see what I cleared up, which turned out to be about 10 gigs of space. His hard drive says that it's got almost 80 gigs of "Other". I've gone through most folders and dude has nothing that in seeing in his folders/drivers/applications that could be responsible. Thoughts?