Thread: The New Introduction Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone! Finally decided to join after being a lurker for a while on the old ETS. Should be fun connecting with some fellow NIN fans.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Introducing:

Me. Hello lads and gents, glad to have ETS back.
    I'm with people now, goodbye lonliness. Is that sad?
    NO!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Hi everyone, I'm Inverse Phase, and I'm the guy doing that Pretty Hate Machine chiptune album, "Pretty Eight Machine". I like puns. My other work is here if anyone is interested. I was gonna keep this short and sweet, but hey, I'm pretty new, this is an introduction, understanding me is easiest if you know where I'm coming from. That and I suck at brevity.

I have a "sorted" past where I tried to connect with "influential" NIN community members and garner a little support for my kickstarter for P8M. When I failed, I figured I would join the "old" ETS (its last incarnation, anyway), you know, to try and connect with the community while working on the album, get feedback, etc. Long story short, I found out that OnslaughtSix (one of my fans) had already posted about it and was already dealing with his own "onslaught" (see what I did there?). It was actually really nice of him trying to defend me, so while I waited for my account to be approved I got to watch this painful Downward Spiral of a discussion. It was seriously like March of the Pigs, except for the one or two folks that actually thought my album would come out decently.

Anyway, finally I got approved. In my Fragile state I posted a few rebuttals, a few folks kindly apologised for prejudging the project without communicating with me (which I really, really appreciate by the way), and I got a little bit more support from the people that liked the album. The kickstarter met its goal and I got to work. Everything settled down, and then there was quite a bit of silence from me because I didn't get any notification of new replies to my topics.

After going Further Down The Spiral of acquiring permissions and licensing, I came out ahead. Well, if "poor as fuck" can be considered "ahead". Licensing was more than expected, some of my materials have been more than expected, pretty much everything has been more than expected, but I love NIN, so I've plunked down everything I need to keep this shit on the road. Life got a little Broken when it threw a curveball at me by flooding part of my place and I'm not really gonna get into some of the personal mental/emotional breakdown bullshit that happened at the same time, but after a four-month long move and all my Things Falling Apart, I emerged, Fixed, and I actually fell in love with a fellow NIN fan who was backing my album. She's pretty much my Perfect Drug to get this thing finished.

So, now I'm Down In It again, getting shit done, and the days are drawing Closer where I'll have this thing done. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are going to want to lynch me for my Sin of ruining their favorite track when it's finished, but my tribute is being done out of fandom, not to capitalize off of you guys, so I hope at least a few naysayers will give it a listen with an open mind. After all, We're In This Together.

Real talk, I liked hearing NIN on the radio, and heard Pretty Hate Machine awhile after it came out and liked it a lot, and then I played a lot of Quake.... a few high school buddies and I traded mixes (my first bootleg was Rusty Nails) but I was a pretty casual fan until I moved to the east coast. People were much more into NIN over here and my tastes started to lean much more into industrial, rock, electronica, etc. Somewhere around 2001, one of my friends got me listening to Fragile -- which I hadn't heard prior to then, except for maybe Starfuckers on the radio -- and I just....couldn't stop listening. I got re-addicted; I went back and listened to the entire discography, and here we are today.

I have a lot of respect for how much love some of the folks here have for NIN, so, maybe when I'm done, we can be friends. I'll be lurking until then.

And yes, those are a bunch of album/halo titles interspersed throughout my story to make sure it stays as corny as possible.
    Last edited by InversePhase; 04-11-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: eh.