Page 31 of 69 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Parallel Timeline's has a piano part that seems ridiculously familiar...?
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 12-09-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: wow, sentence structure

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Infiltrator!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    You may have heard it on ComesForthInTheThaw.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i know how vinyl works, silly!
    i know, i was just telling everyone else to not freak out when the inevitable vinyl rips don't match up either.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Download was fast, quick, and easy. Topspin does it again.

I can't really comment much on the record yet; I will need countless hours to curl up with it as it's so much to take in right now, but early indications are that I am going to fucking love it. The crunchyness on A Thousand Details is fucking sexy as hell. Loving An Itch.

Looking forward to having a Dragon Tattoo Winter where this record gets me through the bleaknesss of it all. Hopefully the movie does it justice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    You may have heard it on ComesForthInTheThaw.com
    Of course...
    Also, LA Times article
    The bass on We Could Wait Forever is toying with my sub. It's gorgeous (as a bassist)
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 12-09-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    "I started thinking, 'Finally! Now there's serial killers, tension, anal rapings and stuff like that,'" Reznor said.

​Heh, wonder if that's what he said when he was approached for the NBK soundtrack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    "I started thinking, 'Finally! Now there's serial killers, tension, anal rapings and stuff like that,'" Reznor said.

​Heh, wonder if that's what he said when he was approached for the NBK soundtrack.
    heh. i kind of really miss soundtracks being a collection of pop songs blending together with instrumentals and dialogue (NBK, LH)... but i guess that's actually much easier to put together than recording 3 hours of finished instrumentals.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This shit is the SHIIIIIT!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    First, this is excellent. Some of the best hit:miss ratio I've heard from Trenticuss. Also, "Great Bird of Prey" has a recycled "ghosts" sample -- I can't recall which track, as I don't have it on me, but I'm sure somebody will.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i'm still amazed on how the deluxe edition is not sold out. i guess the combination of the economy, not a "nin" release, and the additional 500 copies (up from the ghosts' 2500) has made this a tougher sell. i wonder if this will skew trent into limiting any future deluxe editions back to 2500 or even 2000.

on a separate note, listening to pinned and mounted right now and damn that's a good track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    i'm still amazed on how the deluxe edition is not sold out. i guess the combination of the economy, not a "nin" release, and the additional 500 copies (up from the ghosts' 2500) has made this a tougher sell. i wonder if this will skew trent into limiting any future deluxe editions back to 2500 or even 2000.

on a separate note, listening to pinned and mounted right now and damn that's a good track.

I assumed the holidays had something to do with it, too. I had to really look at the checkbook a bit before I committed to a surprise $300 purchase.

But like you, I'm also surprised it's not sold out. But as long as I can get my uber1337, one of a kind, comes in it's own PODs container that TR is contractually obligated to live in two days of the year edition of The Fragile, I'll be happy.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i hear ya. i actually had to sit on the thought of purchasing it for a couple of days, with the worry of it selling out. hindsight, i'm glad i purchased it because i know its going to be amazing. i just hope that there isn't a $300 uber deluxe edition of the fragile. that would be torture to my bank account.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I think also the fact that there's much less offered in this. Yes, there are six vinyls, but Ghosts had four.
    This has the razor blade USB. But Ghosts had the hardback photo book, the two giclee prints, and the case with the CDS/multitracks/Blu-Ray.

I'm not bitching. I bought it. Just pointing out that there was much more value in the Ghosts package, which is likely keeping people from buying it. Who knows -- TR might not have made much on the Ghosts package.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    I knew what song it was without even knowing the title, because I also heard this "ridiculously familiar" part on ComesForthInTheThaw.com, and spent the next several hours trying to figure out what it sounded like. I'm talking about the segment that starts at 4:50 into the song. I finally realized that it sounds similar to music used in Apocalypse Now. I haven't watched AN to hear how close the pieces of music are. It's also possible that I'm delusional and it doesn't sound like the music in AN at all!

Upon further review, I'm not sure that it is like AN. The closest piece of music from the soundtrack that I can find on youtube is this , though it isn't all that similar. Hmmm. This style of music is very similar to what TR is into, especially the Wendy Carlos sounding stuff. In fact if I didn't already know it I would have guessed that Wendy Carlos had composed AN instead of Carmine Coppola.
    Last edited by Arkadin; 12-09-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Just thought I would share for you all to see. Sounds juicy.

Sorry for the huge post. Just wanted to get all the details in there.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    WTF! How do you have that and why does it have more tracks than the actual release?!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    WTF! How do you have that and why does it have more tracks than the actual release?!
    The track sequence reveals the songs in the order they are played in the movie. Also, I'd imagine that the music itself is spread out over more cues than listed on the official release. One song on the official release could be two cues in the movie and so on.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Was sent to me for a friend. It's a For Your Consideration CD that gets handed out as a promo item. Almost always these have different tracks than the actual soundtrack. There is a TSN FYC with different tracklist out there as well.

If TR and AR won an Oscar for TSN, I cannot imagine what they will get for this. Simply put, dark and amazing!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I only buy vinyl
    Jihad to that

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    The track sequence reveals the songs in the order they are played in the movie. Also, I'd imagine that the music itself is spread out over more cues than listed on the official release. One song on the official release could be two cues in the movie and so on.
    I wonder if there'll be any unique ones, like Dinner With Sean from TSN?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    oh, and...

I had no idea you got a free download of the entire album today even if you ordered the vinyl deluxe package

so it made it especially amusing when I came here listening to it while reading all those agonizing posts from people who had to wait.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    By the looks of the track titles, all of the songs are actually out of sequence from the film. There are tracks at the end of the second disc that happen at the beginning of the book/film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Same here, I thought it would be long sold out by now. I guess I didn't need to panic as much getting my deluxe order in the minute it was released ("Ghosts I-IV" deluxe was much harder to order and download). Either way, through one entire listen in one sitting the score is incredible. I think it's better than "TSN" score (If I had to choose one over the other which is difficult), however it could just be the excitement of a new release or the fact that there's two more hours of music. How the music works as a companion to the film and time will tell. Also credit to Topspin, I've been very impressed with them over the past few years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, I just read through ten pages of whining, but I guess I can say that because my experience was a breeze. I tried to stay up until 11:00 CST, but fell asleep around 9:30, I woke up at 11:12 and checked my email and it had a link to download. I hooked my ipod up and went back to bed. I woke up to go to work, turned computer on, the file was ready for me, I moved it on to my ipod. Done.

It takes me about 50 minutes to get to work, and a hour to get home, plenty of time for me to listen to some songs. I skipped through the songs that were on the sampler and ones I heard before from websites. I must say, slightly dissappointed that there aren't more harder or faster tracks. I get that they probably wouldn't fit the vibe for the movie, but alot of the tracks seem to blend together for me. In a week or so, I am sure my opinion will change. These are the stand out tracks for me so far...

Immigrant Song (although, I wish Karen O screamed better in the beginning of the track and it had the pulse at the end like the trailer version)
    She Reminds Me of You
    What If We Could?
    A Thousand Details (Reminds me of Ghosts)
    An Itch
    Great Bird of Prey
    Infiltrator

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Did anyone else think that the piano in The Heretics sounds almost exactly like the piano at the end of Closer (or at the beginning of Everyday Is Exactly The Same)? They all have that same warbly, broken piano quality to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool Mediafire LINKS!

No links to copyrighted material.
    Last edited by ltrandazzo; 12-09-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Edited by Lt. Randazzo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Some of these tracks really remind me of Trent's Quake soundtrack. Perihelion and With The Flies specifically.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    what are you using to detect BPM? most calculation programs are utter shit, as they tend to factor in leading and trailing silences and fading (etc.), which completely throw off the algorithm. there isn't a single file for this soundtrack that will have the sound file beginning exactly at bar 1 nor ending at exactly the last bar, and these are integral to most programs' methods of calculating BPM.

the best way, imo, is always to grab an exact-to-the-sample loop, paying attention to the time signature, and throwing it into Apple's Loop Utility. i have yet to find a faster, more accurate way. (this tends to be impossible with ambient, non-rhythmic tracks.)
    sorry, I just saw this post...

as far as what I'm using to detect bpm (besides good old counting of course) it shouldn't matter. if I have let's say the NullCo FLAC version, you are correct about the leading and trailing silences throwing off bpm calculations. however, if i fix the sector boundary errors on the album as a whole, tracks 1-38 should not have traditional leading and trailing silences that would throw off bpm calculations. the last track, however, will always be a little off bpm-wise (usually ~.01 of a beat)

EDIT: the reason this is accurate in this case is because the album was mixed "gapless", or so it sounds.
    Last edited by Jon; 12-09-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Somewhatdamaged - there are a good deal of fast/hard tracks besides the ones you mentioned, IMO.

This is a MAMMOTH release. I just listened to the full thing. I think it's important for me to keep up the distinction between the three discs, where they end and where they begin, so I have a context to process this all as music alone from the film. I mean, seriously, this is, like, the most brooding parts of Ghosts and the most ambient parts of TSN on crack! I love the bookends of the two covers, and I only assume that's exactly how the film will play out. Jesus, though. This is a lot, haha! I'm actually glad I listened the shit out of the sampler and the sites, because I have familiar buoys to drift to and from in between this whole fucking creation. I'd say my favorites are "Perihelion" (lots of Boards of Canada stuff going on), "Please Take Your Hand Away", "Parallel Timeline With Alternate Outcome", and "Of Secrets". I actually love the ambient stuff, and I hear very strong resemblances to Hans Zimmer's recent harder work with other songs (though, Zimmer was dipping into NIN land in the first place). The very middle feels very, very 'soundtrack-y', and the standout tracks are towards the beginning and end, IMO. This will surely keep me warm during this upcoming cold winter, and I have no problem re-listening again and again before the movie.