Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2014

Thread: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

  1. #1981
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Nope. It was released in high def though, only as part of the $300 package
    Holy $300 package eh... Strange though.. I really don't see how you can get anymore high def than FLAC or high quality MP3 files...

    Also, what did the $300 package include?

  2. #1982
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Holy $300 package eh... Strange though.. I really don't see how you can get anymore high def than FLAC or high quality MP3 files...

    Also, what did the $300 package include?
    The world started HiDef music files a loonnngggg time ago, this has nothing to do with flac, and... of course not mp3. Here's the link to the limited edition http://www.nin.wiki/The_Girl_With_Th...dition_Release

  3. #1983
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    The world started HiDef music files a loonnngggg time ago, this has nothing to do with flac, and... of course not mp3. Here's the link to the limited edition http://www.nin.wiki/The_Girl_With_Th...dition_Release
    How is it possible to make something that was recorded well and exported transparently better than it was originally...? And thank you for the link.

  4. #1984
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,604
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    How is it possible to make something that was recorded well and exported transparently better than it was originally...? And thank you for the link.
    CD is an imperfect format (as are all formats of course), and the digital files are superior to that on the standard CD release. It's a real shame it's $300 version exclusive

  5. #1985
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    CD is an imperfect format (as are all formats of course), and the digital files are superior to that on the standard CD release. It's a real shame it's $300 version exclusive
    I know CD's and MP3's aren't technically perfect, but how can you beat FLAC? You telling me you get these special .Hdef files lol? What's the extension for high def files anyway?

  6. #1986
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    They can be .FLAC too, or .WAV or any lossless format. Only depends on the source.

    CD quality means the analog signal has been sampled at 44.1kHz (44.100 times per second) and a bit depth of 16 bits.
    HD files means that their quality is superior, on the frequency of sampling, and/or the bit depth.
    In the case of files provided on the pendrive with TGWTDT special edition, it is sampled at 96kHz, and, I guess on 24 bits. So a better quality than CD format.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampli...al_processing)

  7. #1987
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    How is it possible to make something that was recorded well and exported transparently better than it was originally...? And thank you for the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    I know CD's and MP3's aren't technically perfect, but how can you beat FLAC? You telling me you get these special .Hdef files lol? What's the extension for high def files anyway?
    Maybe you should read wikis about the years of technology you missed. Again, this has nothing to do with file format and or file extension. If you want an answer to that : Hidef sound is mostly given by trent in Flac, but also Wav and glorious (lol) ALAC. It also started on some depeche mode dvd I saw in the Dolby Digital Classic format, but it's quite rare.

    Better than it was ? What the hell are you meaning ? It has been recorded obviously in HiDef, and degraded for your old silver spinning format you love. Can I remind you that Bluray is also in Hidef sound ?

    So you cannot beat flac, even in hidef because flas is hidef. But you can beat fucking CDs, they look cool but sound is digitally cut into bits, it's all about bits. They said before that 16/44 (or 16/48 that fucking dont change anything) was enough to lure human ear, then vinyl people came around and said that vinyl were far more "warm". Ok then what about giving more than twice more bits for the same sound ? will we then have that unfamous warm sound ?

    Hidef is 24/96 some NIN releases are just 24/48, remember that Mhz or Bits share the same idea : give more bits for the sound. So the sound will be more close to the real sound.

    Now it only work if you're mastering them in 24/96 Trent is very carefull with that, remember that he repaired The Slip download when someone complained it was false 24bit sounds. Or... you can remake old stuff like TDS, if you take analogue rushs to remasterize them again on a modern machine, because analog sound is not cut into bits, that's the same idea behind bluray and old movies, and that's what Trent did when he released TDS into 24/48

  8. #1988
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    5,285
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Hidef is 24/96 some NIN releases are just 24/48, remember that Mhz or Bits share the same idea : give more bits for the sound.
    that's not entirely accurate.

    increased Bit Depth increases the dynamic range. so that means quieter parts have the ability to be quieter and loud parts have the ability to be louder.
    increased Sample Rate changes the range of frequencies that can be heard. most peoples ears can't hear below 20Hz and above 20kHz (44.1kHz sample rate means the highest frequency heard is 22.05kHz, 48kHz means the highest frequency heard is 24kHz, etc.) so it's all just icing on the cake.

  9. #1989
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    2,616
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    If the artist and engineers master it properly, there's very very little difference between 16bit and 24bit for music, not enough to hear in most listening environments, but that's not always the case. Some music benefits greatly from the extra sample depth in a quiet room equipped with high-end playback gear. I think the rate it's sampled at only improves things if the playback gear you're using takes advantage of it. Most modern hi-fi systems upsample everything to 96kHz or better anyhow, and the benefit of avoiding that step down to 44.1 is really tiny, again providing that it was done properly. For most modern music, I'd say it is of little or no benefit for the consumer, especially given where and on what systems people are listening.

    Trent and Atticus master their albums with wide dynamic range, but for the loud aggressive stuff they use a lot of hard limiting in the mix as part of the creative effect, which is something that generally makes people who defend high-def digital turn their noses up at for being "undynamic". Clearly TR and AR feel it is still of some benefit to deliver this in high-def, or they wouldn't offer it.

    Much like the killer in the Dragon Tattoo film, if you are one of those who have gone to the lengths of investing in a sealed basement hi-fi clean room, complete with torture chamber and Enya reel-to-reel, $300 for a little more software to play back on it isn't too much.
    Last edited by botley; 03-17-2016 at 09:57 AM.

  10. #1990
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,725
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Re: warm sound

    I know it's totally subjective but when i compared cd and hi-res, the latter felt "colder".
    That may be because our brain isn't doing that extra bit of work subconsciously reconstructing missing details (or filtering out tape or needle noise) when dealing with higher resolution.

  11. #1991
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    2,616
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Re: warm sound

    I know it's totally subjective but when i compared cd and hi-res, the latter felt "colder".
    That may be because our brain isn't doing that extra bit of work subconsciously reconstructing missing details (or filtering out tape or needle noise) when dealing with higher resolution.
    Or it may be your gear. If your system has to do extra processing "work" to play back the higher bit depth and has more sampled information than it can reproduce as audible sound, it may be unable to do it as smoothly as with standard resolution of the same thing. Any number of problems in the chain, from digital to analogue conversion all the way to the cones of your speakers, can be tripped up by hi-def if it's only designed to play standard resolution digital.

  12. #1992
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chekhov, Russia
    Posts
    1,725
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    I'm not talking about gear, I should clarify about "colder" then. Colder without negative meaning!
    See, when you take raw photo you have high resolution and with it you have optical imperfections and little details that aren't essential to the subject of the picture. That's "colder", then when you do some cropping, touch-ups and level correction it becomes "warmer".
    In audio processing that same principle is defined by "dry" and "wet" words, right? Will you disagree that higher resolution gets you closer to "dry" (or "cold") signal?
    In our case (in music with electronic elements) "artistic value" and our enjoyment of the sound is often related to how artificial it is (in other genres sometimes it's the opposite: how clean, natural and untainted). So, warmer (wetter) means more processed and distorted whereas hi-res recording gets us further from desired effect.
    In conclusion, hi-res is not a straight road to "warm" music

  13. #1993
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    2,616
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    If that's what they sound like to you, then that's great. I'm saying for most people it's probably not worth the extra premium cost.

  14. #1994
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Maybe you should read wikis about the years of technology you missed. Again, this has nothing to do with file format and or file extension. If you want an answer to that : Hidef sound is mostly given by trent in Flac, but also Wav and glorious (lol) ALAC. It also started on some depeche mode dvd I saw in the Dolby Digital Classic format, but it's quite rare.

    Better than it was ? What the hell are you meaning ? It has been recorded obviously in HiDef, and degraded for your old silver spinning format you love. Can I remind you that Bluray is also in Hidef sound ?

    So you cannot beat flac, even in hidef because flas is hidef. But you can beat fucking CDs, they look cool but sound is digitally cut into bits, it's all about bits. They said before that 16/44 (or 16/48 that fucking dont change anything) was enough to lure human ear, then vinyl people came around and said that vinyl were far more "warm". Ok then what about giving more than twice more bits for the same sound ? will we then have that unfamous warm sound ?

    Hidef is 24/96 some NIN releases are just 24/48, remember that Mhz or Bits share the same idea : give more bits for the sound. So the sound will be more close to the real sound.

    Now it only work if you're mastering them in 24/96 Trent is very carefull with that, remember that he repaired The Slip download when someone complained it was false 24bit sounds. Or... you can remake old stuff like TDS, if you take analogue rushs to remasterize them again on a modern machine, because analog sound is not cut into bits, that's the same idea behind bluray and old movies, and that's what Trent did when he released TDS into 24/48
    No need to get grumpy here, but I see now that the file formats don't have a whole lot to do with it. That did clear things up on the FLAC part too.

  15. #1995
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    862
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Was it ever mentioned that the CD-Text for Disc 1 lists the artist for "Immigrant Song" as "Karen O with Trent Reznor "? (space is present)


  16. #1996
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    5,285
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Was it ever mentioned that the CD-Text for Disc 1 lists the artist for "Immigrant Song" as "Karen O with Trent Reznor "? (space is present)

    the digital lists it as "Karen O with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross" so i think it's a matter of the CD text character limit, and they just didn't bother deleting the space that would normally be present between trent + atticus' names.

  17. #1997
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    862
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the digital lists it as "Karen O with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross" so i think it's a matter of the CD text character limit, and they just didn't bother deleting the space that would normally be present between trent + atticus' names.
    That's what I was thinking as well.

    Just a little "who cares?" I noticed while re-ripping CD's.

  18. #1998
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I listened to the FYC promo, in the movie's chronological order as opposed to that of the FYC CDs. The URL's below feature both the CD track listing and the chronological track listing, as well as the differences in track titles:
    ninwiki
    wikipedia

    Though the FYC may have some abrupt song endings and some tracks repeated with slightly different instrumentation or editing, it had a strong impact on me; and I've listened to the regular three-hour version countless times. Just like the movie itself, it ends with "Heartbreak" (What If We Could?) and it felt like a stronger way to finish the album than the noisy crescendo at the end of Of Secrets. Immigrant Song and IYLSE are not on the FYC. I wish their film mixes were in there as well, but, still, even if I've played every track from the official CDs so many times that I'm sick of them, the FYC helped me appreciate it even more. Those subtle differences are key.

    I've seen the film only once, in the cinema, and the beepings and buzzings of "Infiltrator" around the theater made me cry, since Trent had tweeted that a surround version would not be available like TSN was (his response to "why?" was "Long story...").

    I'm eagerly waiting for the FYC of Gone Girl to surface. We almost had it... *grumble*

  19. #1999
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,744
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I'm eagerly waiting for the FYC of Gone Girl to surface. We almost had it... *grumble*
    ...soon...

  20. #2000
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    531
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This album has surpassed its own usage in the film for me. Starting this soundtrack from start to finish is always an event, much like watching 2001 in its entirety or something. Very emotional journey.

  21. #2001
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,077
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    ...soon...
    Like how soon?

  22. #2002
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,744
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Like how soon?
    I'll quit it with being cryptic - we've got a rip now, it's just a matter of putting it in a place y'all can grab it from, once there's some free time. You'll have it this year for sure. I'm not going to get any more granular with my promises than that, though.

  23. #2003
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    491
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    It's Aphelion today, celebrate. :-)

    (btw, interesting this 5000000 km difference has negligible impact on temperatures here... also it was funny when Waze asked me for confirmation that I'll be going "there" because I have it in my calendar, yes I will be on Earth, thank you)

  24. #2004
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I'll quit it with being cryptic - we've got a rip now, it's just a matter of putting it in a place y'all can grab it from, once there's some free time. You'll have it this year for sure. I'm not going to get any more granular with my promises than that, though.
    Just to say there's a PM giveaway now on Gone Girl topic

  25. #2005
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've always found the time signature for Oraculum interesting, anyone know what it is? 5/6 6/6 5/6 6/6?

  26. #2006
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    5,285
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    I've always found the time signature for Oraculum interesting, anyone know what it is? 5/6 6/6 5/6 6/6?
    i mean, you could just call it 11/4

  27. #2007
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    1,716
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Anyone able to help in getting The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo For Your Consideration in lossless? Please PM. Many thanks!

  28. #2008
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,267
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Apologies if this has been covered already, but are the track titles taken from the book? I seem to remember hearing Trent say he read the book for preparation.

  29. #2009
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,828
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered already, but are the track titles taken from the book? I seem to remember hearing Trent say he read the book for preparation.
    Some of them seem to be taken from dialogue ("A Thousand Details", for example), while others just seem to be names they came up with. I've only read the book once, but I guess it's possible that they were taken from that as well.

  30. #2010
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've been furious for days. I mean, this was always hinted at but now pretty much confirmed. This is weak reasoning that unnecessarily disrupts this series of remakes, which I considered to be of one entity since Sony is has the rights to all of them. Really it's just ego and money, and don't get me started on them skipping books 2 and 3 just because the 4th was shiny and new in 2014.
    Q: Awesome news! But I'm a little disappointed that Mara & Craig won't be returning, what's your reason?

    A: It's said that 50% of the director's work is casting. If I'd just take Fincher's (amazing) casting, I wouldn't be doing half of my job.
    (https://twitter.com/fedalvar/status/841675219228020736)


    Where do we boycott this thing?
    Last edited by blassster; 03-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions