Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Class of 2017 nominees announced. Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Depeche Mode, Electric Light Orchestra, Jane's Addiction, Janet Jackson, Journey, the Cars, the Zombies, Yes, Bad Brains, Chaka Khan, Chic, J. Geils Band, Joan Baez, Joe Tex, MC5, and Steppenwolf.
    To be fair out of this class I would nominate Janet Jackson, Chaka Khan, chic, Depeche Mode and the cars

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    J Geils Band, for sure. And the MC5. And Yes and Journey. And ELO.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    They usually hold this in late April/early May now. With Janet expecting who knows if she'll even come by then.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Can anyone explain to me what "counts" for the thing? I love Depeche Mode yet would never consider them "rock music." For every song that fits that description they have ten that are totally electronic or synthpop.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Seems like the only hard requirement is that an artist's first record needs to have been released for at least 25 years. Artists like Kraftwerk and Depeche probably got a nod due to their influence on other artists rather than their own placement in "rock and roll" or whatever.

"The performers category is meant for recording artists and bands that have "influence and significance to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll."[2] Artists become eligible for induction in that category 25 years after the release of their first record. In order to be inducted, an artist must be nominated by a committee that selects anywhere from nine to a dozen candidates. Ballots are sent to 600 "rock experts" who then evaluate the candidates and vote on who should be inducted. The performers who receive the highest number of votes and more than 50 percent of the vote are inducted."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Fame_inductees

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    There are plenty of non-rock artists in there. It's really dedicated to music that's been in the mainstream American* culture in one way or another. That's as best as I can describe it, and with that thinking, DM certainly have their place in it.

*I'd really like to see them do a ceremony in London one year, or find some way to get the UK and Europe more involved. Rock & Roll started here in the 50's but if it weren't for The Beatles and everyone who followed them it would have stayed a fad. So many of the acts that are passed over for induction are English and doing something like that could make the HOF more legit in my eyes.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    For me, here is who I think should be inducted: Chic, Kraftwerk, MC5, the Cars, Yes, and Electric Light Orchestra.

2Pac, Janet, PJ, DM, Jane's Addiction, and Bad Brain can wait.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I go by the strict definition of "Rock 'n Roll," personally.

I don't love Journey, but they paid their dues and have a million classic rock hits.

The J Geils band? Man, in Detroit in the 70s, their "Full House" live album was as big as Kiss "Alive!"

And Yes just goes without saying; TONS of prog hits.

Chic has some talented people and I saw them live last summer but that is still Disco.

Voting for Chic ahead of STEPPENWOLF?

Last edited by allegro; 10-18-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    2Pac is being considered? CONSIDERED? He's automatically in to me.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    nice to see my boy Eddie Vedder getting in (foregone conclusion)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quite curiously, you can still vote but cannot see who's leading the polls...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I was quite moved by Nile Rodgers comment on him getting in for musical excellence but not Chic

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I feel like next year is going to be particularly crazy with Tool, Radiohead, Rage, STP, Verve, Beck, Dr. Dre, Mary J. Blige, Ace of Base (lol) and many more being newly eligible... Would be great to see NIN, Cure, and Depeche make the nomination list again.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm sure they will. I'm just glad that this class is made up mostly of pre-punk/new wave acts for once.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I was quite moved by Nile Rodgers comment on him getting in for musical excellence but not Chic
    I think this award is a total diss towards everything Bernard Edwards and Tony Thompson has done for that group and it is bittersweet that Niles' band aren't being inducted. I'm happy for Pearl Jam, 2Pac, Yes, and ELO but this is a diss for Chic.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wonder, now that Atticus is officially a member as of the new release, if he'll be inducted with Trent once NIN finally gets in. It's not a new concept, Robert Trujillo was inducted as a member of Metallica despite only having been one album of theirs by that time.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I wonder, now that Atticus is officially a member as of the new release, if he'll be inducted with Trent once NIN finally gets in. It's not a new concept, Robert Trujillo was inducted as a member of Metallica despite only having been one album of theirs by that time.
    He should be inducted since he's technically been in the band since With Teeth doing some of the production and such. He's earned his spot just as long as some of our favorite members get inducted as well.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The 2017 ceremony aired on HBO last night. Really only paid attention to ELO and Yes. Dhani Harrison gave a funny, if not a little nervous-sounding speech inducting ELO. Seeing what's left of the classic Yes line-ups play together was a little bittersweet to watch, knowing this may be the last time that happens.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The 2017 ceremony aired on HBO last night. Really only paid attention to ELO and Yes. Dhani Harrison gave a funny, if not a little nervous-sounding speech inducting ELO. Seeing what's left of the classic Yes line-ups play together was a little bittersweet to watch, knowing this may be the last time that happens.
    Agreed. It was sad not seeing Chris Squire at the ceremony but Rick Wakeman made up for it with his jokes. I fucking love that guy. I loved Dhani's speech for ELO and Snoop's for 2Pac. I haven't seen all of it but I did enjoy Pearl Jam's induction ceremony as it was good to see Dave Kushner play "Alive" w/ the band for first time in more than 25 years. My parents would love seeing ELO and Journey.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    PJ were great, as always. Such a rich history for them, and as a more modern band, it's all been captured really well on video as compared to the older bands.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    No NIN this year, but Depeche Mode, Rage Against The Machine and Radiohead were announced as nominees for the class of 2018. I'm hoping Dire Straits, The Moody Blues and Judas Priest all get in. Same for Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta Tharpe, who I'm less aware of but am aware of their legacies to some degree.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Shouldve made a biopic.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Maybe this thread should be locked until such a time as NIN are renominated. Just have a Rock Hall thread in musical revolution forum if anyone cares

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    We do have one that I started way back, but I kind of like keeping this one open instead. It makes more sense to me just to have this be that thread here.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    He's got plenty of time if Dire Straits is just now getting in. Nin is too good for this shit anyway.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Stop trying to make NIN in the Rock Hall happen...

It's not going to happen.
    Last edited by botley; 10-05-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Maybe this thread should be locked until such a time as NIN are renominated. Just have a Rock Hall thread in musical revolution forum if anyone cares
    If other admins think we should close it and use another forum, we can. I'm leaving it open for now in case people want to talk about nin not being nominated.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Ace of Base (lol)
    You shut your filthy mouth good sir! The Sign/Happy Nation is amazing and was ahead of its time!