Page 3 of 160 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Controversial thoughts:

1. Fuck The Perfect Drug. It was, and still is - shit. I could give two fucks if they ever play it live. The remixes were more interesting than the original.
    2. PHM is ridiculously dated. The remaster made it less so - but nonetheless, none of the songs from PHM should ever be played live again.
    3. Survivalism and THTF are so shitty that are almost funny. The first half of With Teeth was absolutely terrible - I can only listen to the last half these days.
    4. I listen to The Slip regularly from start to finish. Great album. Maybe I am still hard that he gave it away for free.
    5. Half of Ghosts is fantastic. The other, more percussion based and aggressive tracks do not fit at all - and I really dislike them.
    6. TR's scores are better than post Fragile albums by a fucking mile.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I dream of a setlist with songs only picked from Year Zero, The Slip and Hesitation Marks. The show ends with The Day The World Went Away.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Most of With Teeth is shit except for the last four/five or so songs.
    Year Zero is a modern masterpiece that I put up there with TDS and The Fragile.
    A lot of Pretty Hate Machine is fucking terrible.
    Gave Up is a sucky song.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think people would be as bored with a TDS or TF sounding record as TR would be making one.
    I find PHM to be a more compelling record than YZ.
    YZ would be an awful television show and I'm glad it's not happening.
    Both The Social Network and TGWTDT OST's are boring and do not compete with anything TR has put out under NIN.
    Ghosts is an unfocused mess of a record/experiment.
    Closer, for as many times as I've heard it, within the context of TDS is still a fucking amazing song and I never EVER skip it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    That's What I Get is probably in my top 10 NIN songs. Maybe my top 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the real reason Trent and Brian Warner/Marilyn Manson had a falling out is because Trent propositioned Brian for gay sex, or possibly vice versa, and the other wasn't up for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There is not a single song I skip when listening to ANY nine inch nails album except Ripe(with decay) And year zero is my fav. The concept, the ARG, everything about it is amazing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Everything is the best NIN track of the last 4 albums

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesus View Post
    Jesus- get back to work. And quit trolling Internet forums!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have seen every tour since FDS tour in 94 and I wish he would mix up the setlists a bit. One of the most rewarding shows for me was when he opened up for Bowie's Outside tour in 95. Closer To God, Sanctified, Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now) - still can't believe it! I understand why the setlist has the songs on it, but more reinterpretations of them are most welcomed for those of us who try to catch them at least once a tour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Jesus- get back to work. And quit trolling Internet forums!!
    LOL Is my opinion over-controversial , even considered Trolling?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    LOL Is my opinion over-controversial , even considered Trolling?

Sarcasm man, sarcasm.

Carry on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Sarcasm man, sarcasm.

Carry on.
    ??? Sarcasm too! hahahahaha

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    fuck that, "Everything" is GOAT.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    Controversial thoughts:

1. Fuck The Perfect Drug. It was, and still is - shit. I could give two fucks if they ever play it live. The remixes were more interesting than the original.
    2. PHM is ridiculously dated. The remaster made it less so - but nonetheless, none of the songs from PHM should ever be played live again.
    3. Survivalism and THTF are so shitty that are almost funny. The first half of With Teeth was absolutely terrible - I can only listen to the last half these days.
    4. I listen to The Slip regularly from start to finish. Great album. Maybe I am still hard that he gave it away for free.
    5. Half of Ghosts is fantastic. The other, more percussion based and aggressive tracks do not fit at all - and I really dislike them.
    6. TR's scores are better than post Fragile albums by a fucking mile.
    Your opinions are null and void because you like The Slip

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I guess this is controversial...?

I think Beside You In Time might be my favorite NIN track of all time. Something about where I was in life when it came out, and that it was SO unexpected, and just so hypnotic and kinda ballsy... plus the lyrics, and that EXPLOSION of energy at the end, it just hits me every time. Greatest. Ever. And I'm a massive NIN fan since the early 90's, for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Modwheelmood remix of the Great Destroyer is one of the top 10 NIN songs of the past 10 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. the pixor of rez in his relaxedwear circa late 90's is the most flattering pixor of him in existence
    2. meathead needs to come out of retirement to give the discipline treatment to everything
    3. year zero is second only to the fragile
    4. ruiner, in terms of layering, production, and raw artistic talent, outpaces any nin song ever written

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't like any of the remixes.
    I agree that Alessandro should do all the back vocals, all the time and he should do them louder. I love his voice.
    The Finckster's singing voice is godawful but once you get beyond that fact, you miss it when it's not there. The ending of Reptile would not be the same without him.
    I've always found it highly amusing that (kinda) short and skinny Trent was manhandling seven feet tall Robin Finck, on stage, all those years ago.
    The Perfect Drug and Deep are great songs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Fragile is bloated and takes real effort to listen to start to finish. I have only done it a few times, back when I first discovered it. Yet it has his best individual songs - Somewhat Damaged, The Wretched, and Into The Void are amazing.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    The Fragile is bloated and takes real effort to listen to start to finish. I have only done it a few times, back when I first discovered it. Yet it has his best individual songs - Somewhat Damaged, The Wretched, and Into The Void are amazing.
    I agree with this. I love several of the individual tracks on the album, but it does feel overworked and kind of masturbatory, if that makes any sense. I always feel kind of guilty when other fans wax poetic about their love of TF because I feel like I probably should appreciate it more than I do.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenLeslie View Post
    I agree with this. I love several of the individual tracks on the album, but it does feel overworked and kind of masturbatory, if that makes any sense. I always feel kind of guilty when other fans wax poetic about their love of TF because I feel like I probably should appreciate it more than I do.
    The Fragile is the best double album ever written.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    +3 on TF. One of the reasons it wasn't as well liked when it was released (outside of it not being TDS pt. 2, or at least a progression of Broken to TDS to the next whatever) was how long it was and had filler tracks, or things that just didn't quite seem to fit.

Everyones got their favorite songs from TF, if you could fit it into one CD would be much better IMHO. It's one of those great albums that I find myself skipping a lot of songs... if that makes sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As I'm what seemed like one of the few who instantly adored The Fragile right from release day, I'll admit it does demand a certain attention and no small amount of time.

But what you should try is playing it start-finish on a long solo road trip. In fact, that was how I first heard it: I had a long road trip scheduled for work. I had to be up at 5 am, so I picked up my copy at midnight and went to bed, content in the fact I'd get to hear it in a few short hours from the comfortable environs of my car's respectable stereo.

Fuck Zeus, what an experience that was: swallowed up on an interstate slowly coming alive. But everything fell into place... even the bloated / filler parts are like the ebb and flow of so much traffic... hitch-hiking through the void would be an apt metaphor.

So yeah, The Fragile is best served in the right environment. But even now sometimes I listen to it in my sleep... Pilgrimage jars me awake every time, so that La Mer can carry me off...

One warning about driving though: Underneath it All is not compatible with lead feet. Er, that is if you'd like to spare your wallet and tires some angiush, heh heh.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    What are these bloated/filler parts you speak of? :::confusion:::

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goingincirclez View Post
    As I'm what seemed like one of the few who instantly adored The Fragile right from release day, I'll admit it does demand a certain attention and no small amount of time.

But what you should try is playing it start-finish on a long solo road trip. In fact, that was how I first heard it: I had a long road trip scheduled for work. I had to be up at 5 am, so I picked up my copy at midnight and went to bed, content in the fact I'd get to hear it in a few short hours from the comfortable environs of my car's respectable stereo.

Fuck Zeus, what an experience that was: swallowed up on an interstate slowly coming alive. But everything fell into place... even the bloated / filler parts are like the ebb and flow of so much traffic... hitch-hiking through the void would be an apt metaphor.

So yeah, The Fragile is best served in the right environment. But even now sometimes I listen to it in my sleep... Pilgrimage jars me awake every time, so that La Mer can carry me off...

One warning about driving though: Underneath it All is not compatible with lead feet. Er, that is if you'd like to spare your wallet and tires some angiush, heh heh.
    Man, the other day, I put The Fragile on, and it was a 24/96 vinyl rip on some great headphones through an amazing amp...

Jaw dropping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think Memorabilia is fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    TF is definitely a commitment, but never bloated. A lifetime of layers hidden in that beautiful album for me to explore...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    What are these bloated/filler parts you speak of? :::confusion:::
    Ripe (With Decay) for one; I like the song name more than I like the song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is the best thread on ETS ever!