Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2014.08.25 - Hollywood, CA @ Hollywood Bowl

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2014.08.25 - Hollywood, CA @ Hollywood Bowl

Great show. My first time at the Bowl, and I gotta say, I really like the venue.

I was a little disappointed that it was an identical setlist to last night's show, but it was more engaging for me tonight for some reason.

I'm upset that Soundgarden went (and started) so late that they probably cost us an extra song (Only, probably). NIN was rushing to get to the encore to beat the curfew.

I came over to say hi, @cynicmuse, but the people there said you had swapped seats with them. And then you weren't in your new seats. Oh well.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I came over to say hi, @cynicmuse, but the people there said you had swapped seats with them. And then you weren't in your new seats. Oh well.
    Sorry that I missed you. I should have asked you were you were sitting It would have been nice to meet you.

This was the best show for me all tour. While my seats were closer at the other two shows, the staggered risers in the boxes gave me a significantly better view. I also wasn't as far to the right as I was for Irvine (and didn't have a flailing drunk next to me for most of the show). I also like the bowl because I'm back home in under an hour, and 30 minutes of that was spent walking back to my car, instead of chilling in a parking lot. If and when NIN ever tour again, I'd definitely pick the bowl over Irvine.

I'm also annoyed with SG. They did the same thing in Irvine. It took them 35 minutes to get their act together, so they started late then too. In that case however, NIN just kept on going. The curfew there isn't as hard as the curfew at the bowl; I've seen opening acts pulled off stage at the bowl due to the curfew. I'm not sure if SG ended up skipping a song because Chris Cornell made a comment about the curfew before their final song. SG started at 8pm and were off by 9:10pm. The mix for SG was the best that I'd heard all tour; I"m not sure if that's because I was closer to the soundboard this time or if they've finally gotten their act together.

I ran into a few ETS people before the show; it was nice to meet you all. It was rather neat that some of them were from my hometown in the other LA. I got lucky and moved up 3 boxes because a dude wanted 4 seats and was willing to trade the two seats that he had closer to the stage. I was very happy with the improved view. I ended up sitting with a few ladies who'd been to various shows for many different groups all over the county.

I had hoped for the other set list tonight, but it was still enjoyable. I hadn't realized before that the graphics disappear at the end of each verse in Disappointed. I like the addition to the THTF with the bleedthrough artwork instead of the fake band members. I also liked the interplay between the smoke behind the panels and the swirling smoke on the panels at the end of Find My Way. It was neat in HLAH how the panels were used as fake lights, complete with smoke effects. While the video panels weren't as cool as the overhead lighting rig of awesomeness from the previous tour, they could create many different visuals.
    Last edited by cynicmuse; 08-26-2014 at 02:41 AM. Reason: more rambling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great great show! I'd say the biggest surprise of the night for me was Disappointed. It was my 3rd time seeing it live and tonight's performance really blew me away. The visuals were amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man I should have brought more booze. Only bummer was soundgarden's set being so short.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Excellent show! The sound was phenomenal at The Bowl. Ran into a few friends from LA that I haven't seen since the Tension shows in Vegas, so that was a nice surprise. Rob was on stage a lot tonight, taking photos of the band and even the crowd, from time to time. Chris (Robin's tech) hooked it up with a setlist tonight, complete with his notes on which guitars/keys/violin to use for which songs. All and all, this tour has been a fun ride. I wish that I could thank each and every member of the crew that puts on this tour in person because the amount of work that they do does not go unnoticed. It is such a dynamic show with the lighting and the stage arrangements as the show flows from song to song. Incredible to think that they can pull it off every night without a hitch. I'm glad that I was able to attend all of the shows that I have and excited to still have Sacramento to look forward to. I could complain about not seeing song X, and I definitely enjoyed the bombastic production value at the Tension shows I attended, but I'm just happy to see my favorite band on stage again and in a place like The Hollywood Bowl, no less. I would go every night if I could.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really great show tonight. Of course I miss the longer setlists of the Tension tour, but this was just an incredible performance in every way. I was in Irvine on Friday and thought that was great, but tonight was a completely different level energy-wise. This was true for both the crowd and the band. Also, it was a FAR cry from the Vegas show last month. That was a bit of a disaster really... Tonight everything felt completely dialed in.

It's been tough to go to a NIN show and have them splitting time with a co-headliner... Soundgarden has actually grown on me as a live act since I've been forced to watch them on this tour, but I don't like the fact that their presence takes time away from NIN, especially at the Bowl. If there is a silver lining here it's that the show tonight had a relentless energy to it. Really exciting from top to bottom. I left with a huge smile on my face, and here we are at 2am and I still haven't fully come down from it yet.

Here's hoping the gap between now and the next tour isn't as long as we're all being led to believe it will be.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Out of three shows I have attended on this tour this one was by far my favorite. Not because I didn't have to drive or anything but there was something magical about the band yesterday night. I thought they played great at Irvine but two days later it was even better. Hopefully we don't get another 5 year gap between albums.

Soundgarden's current tour drummer Matt Chamberlain is a beast. I don't know how he does it all on traditional grip but it was damn cool.

Didn't watch Cold Cave, whatever.

Random Tidbits:
    Said "Hi" to Justin Meldal-Johnsen in the crowd on the way out.
    Saw Lacey Connor of the band Nocturne (Don't ask how I know that.)
    Hours before the show I was at Amoeba and I believe 50% were NIN fans judging from the shirts.
    A couple of Bowl staff members mention that the show was not sold out. About 16,000 out of the 20,000 in the venue. Take with a grain with salt on this one.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Man, I now understand the importance of good seats cuz out of my 3 shows this was my least favorite.

I'll summarize by saying I probably should not have gone to Irivne on Friday and fuck bench seating at the bowl. Never again; super seats or better from now on.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    and fuck bench seating at the bowl. Never again; super seats or better from now on.
    Yeah fuck them! I had one too but luckily the people around me were respectful about others view and it also helped that I was in Row 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man, I now understand the importance of good seats cuz out of my 3 shows this was my least favorite.

I'll summarize by saying I probably should not have gone to Irivne on Friday and fuck bench seating at the bowl. Never again; super seats or better from now on.
    I too learned that lesson this weekend. I had $20 lawn seats at Irvine.... still not worth it. I had $120 seats last night and the extra $100 was well worth it!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenfern View Post
    I too learned that lesson this weekend. I had $20 lawn seats at Irvine.... still not worth it. I had $120 seats last night and the extra $100 was well worth it!
    exact opposite experience here =X Perfect 2nd row dead center viewing in irvine with comfy ass seats...shit ass 8th row stage left bullshit in bench @ hollywood bowl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    exact opposite experience here =X Perfect 2nd row dead center viewing in irvine with comfy ass seats...shit ass 8th row stage left bullshit in bench @ hollywood bowl.
    If you have the money, its well worth spending more on tickets. Especially for a show like NIN where there is a lot of focus on the visual presentation of the performance. That gets lost the further up you go (or side views).

Disappointed was a very nice experience because of the visual element. Okay song turned amazing last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One other thing about the Bowl last night.... holy crap Hollywood is filled with beautiful people!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenfern View Post
    If you have the money, its well worth spending more on tickets. Especially for a show like NIN where there is a lot of focus on the visual presentation of the performance. That gets lost the further up you go (or side views).

Disappointed was a very nice experience because of the visual element. Okay song turned amazing last night.
    Oh trust me I know, on Friday night as I sat there dead center with no one in front of me, I could not help but notice how perfectly symmetrical the visuals are for disappointed. Still don't care for the song, but much prefer these visuals over Tension.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Were you the dude that sneaked in the detachable lens camera that Drew yelled at "if I see it again you're out of here"? If so, I was standing directly behind you and your lady.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ignore the "Shoreline", Chris (Robin's tech) handed his setlist to me last night along with more picks from Damian.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    nah that wasn't me. nice picks btw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Best show out of all the three that I've seen (Bowl > Irvine >> Vegas). Disappointed's baseline had a nice change (Ilan's big floppy fro is still hilarious, but he was awesome on the baseline). Something was special about Closer too (it was one of the background synth lines that I haven't heard before).

The only question I'm left with is whether or not Trent changed up the sound tech guys recently. I don't recall ever feeling left wanting aurally from a NIN's concert, but Vegas/Irvine and the first half of the set from the bowl just didn't sound that great. Most of it was from the synthesized parts of the songs (eg. most of Copy of A, the synth parts of Came Back Haunted). The quality was poor and it just didn't sound dialed in. Parts of Came Back Haunted's synth line almost sounded as if the polarity was reversed on the speakers, it just sounded weird. I don't remember any of it sounding out of place in the 2 Tension shows I've been to. But every single show on this tour had something missing.

The other big issue was with Robin's guitars being wayy too quiet, especially on the solo parts of Gave up. The only guitar you could really hear was Trent's. Anyone else feel the same?

Anyways, I'm just nitpicking. Trent can do no wrong Can't wait for the new stuff.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    clearly there's a lot of external influences that determine how much you enjoy a show, cuz I must be the only person on this thread who would vote vegas > irvine > bowl

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    clearly there's a lot of external influences that determine how much you enjoy a show, cuz I must be the only person on this thread who would vote vegas > irvine > bowl
    Definitely... the location of your seats and the crowd around you are one of the biggest factors for me. Mind you, if the sound mix is shit, those two factors won't matter. I might have liked Irvine better if I hadn't spent most of the night dodging the flailing drunk next to me, as well as making sure that she didn't grab me again because I wasn't moving enough for her taste. I also had a short person a row in front who was standing on a seat, so I kept having to move around to see past her. The crowd around me was good at the Hollywood Bowl and the view was unobstructed.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Great show last night.

I thought that SG really delivered and their performance at the Bowl tied with their show at the Forum back in '11. I'm really happy about that because I thought SG kinda slacked it off in Irvine. Chris mentioned something that they have always wanted to play at the Bowl and now it has happened. You can really tell that they were happy to play there and it showed. I think it was SG's night to shine and they played better than NIN.

NIN gave a good solid performance. Kinda bummed about having a cookie cutter set list, but oh well. I really can't complain about it. I think that they did better at the Irvine show as a whole. However, I think that Ilan really a phenomenal job. That boy is sexy on the bass!!!!

I just want to give a shout out to the late 40s/early 50s suburban lady next to me who was going bananas during the SG set. She rocked and put my SG fanaticism to shame. Also, I want to give a shout out to the two nice men who sat next to me. One gave me a spoonful of his brownie ice cream sundae. That was heaven in my mouth! I wish I had met up with some fellow ETSers; that would have been nice. Also, there was a bevy of good looking dudes in the crowd!

Edit: The presale people had my ticket under my old married name. I haven't used that name in years and have no idea how that happened. Presale Irvine had my correct name but Hollywood didn't. I nearly had a heart attack because I didn't have my confirmation email stored on my phone. Luckily, I spotted my name on the presale list and explained to the lady that it was my old last name that was listed. I confirmed with my address and she gave me my ticket.
    Last edited by Charmingly Miserable; 08-26-2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Near ticket terror

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had a really great time at this one! Shout outs to section G2 benches and all the great people I met up there (VINCE!!). The set wasn't much different than the last few shows but the experience made it all worth it as usual.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erikiksaz View Post
    Best show out of all the three that I've seen (Bowl > Irvine >> Vegas). Disappointed's baseline had a nice change (Ilan's big floppy fro is still hilarious, but he was awesome on the baseline). Something was special about Closer too (it was one of the background synth lines that I haven't heard before).

The only question I'm left with is whether or not Trent changed up the sound tech guys recently. I don't recall ever feeling left wanting aurally from a NIN's concert, but Vegas/Irvine and the first half of the set from the bowl just didn't sound that great. Most of it was from the synthesized parts of the songs (eg. most of Copy of A, the synth parts of Came Back Haunted). The quality was poor and it just didn't sound dialed in. Parts of Came Back Haunted's synth line almost sounded as if the polarity was reversed on the speakers, it just sounded weird. I don't remember any of it sounding out of place in the 2 Tension shows I've been to. But every single show on this tour had something missing.

The other big issue was with Robin's guitars being wayy too quiet, especially on the solo parts of Gave up. The only guitar you could really hear was Trent's. Anyone else feel the same?

Anyways, I'm just nitpicking. Trent can do no wrong Can't wait for the new stuff.
    Saw the exact same three, and I'd also rate them in the same order! Even though it was the standard setlist, both the band and the audience seemed a lot more into it this time around.

For those of you that don't check out or pay attention to twitter, NIN just posted the following:

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/st...28815130935296

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hey, can you decipher whats under the marker? I dig the behind the scenes stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    For those of you that don't check out or pay attention to twitter, NIN just posted the following:

I didn't find myself... but I did find Jesus?!?!?!!!! https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwFTn2mCYAAvXjY.jpg:large

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Cool. I barely made it into the photo, but 3/4 of me is in there.
    Edit: I see my t-shirt with the Mandelbrot set. My head is a blur.
    Last edited by cynicmuse; 08-28-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    God sound at the Bowl is incomparable to other huge LA venues imo. Im so spoiled by that shit. I first saw NIN there 9 years ago when I was a mere 13 year old so it was fucking awesome to go full circle with them.

I still preferred Tension because the set list was fucking ridiculous and I think musically that was the best line up hes ever had. Those singers and Palladino...especially during tracks like Even Deeper, In Two, Black Noise. Just on a whole other level. HOWEVER still a fantastic show! I am always in awe of how good the mix is at his shows. Like double headliner my ass did you notice how the sound quality jumped by 50 million when NIN went on? He's fucking insane. Lmao. I am also always shocked somehow by how much charisma he has on stage. I think because we make fun of him so much on the forums I forget what a beast he fucking is. Aint nothing to laugh about when he's performing in the flesh.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 08-27-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

That is really cool. I can see myself videotaping.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm gonna say that I can see myself there.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Suprefan's gallery of the HB show

https://www.flickr.com/photos/674410...7646547412797/