Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2013.04.25 - Toronto, ON @ Sound Academy

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)

2013.04.25 - Toronto, ON @ Sound Academy

Someone on Twitter was saying this place has horrible acoustics.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

2013.04.25 - Toronto, ON @ Sound Academy

I'll be there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Sound Academy is a fun venue. It has replaced Kool Haus (in my opinion) in being the destination for a lot of musicians.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    My god... leave it to the SA and Toronto prices to give us a $51.75 ticket

Looks like they are doing VIP as well, but I'm not sure if the presale covers that?

(and sorry shagg, but I disagree a lot. I wasn't the biggest fan of the Kool Haus until the past two years and the dozens of horrible sounding concerts I have had to endure at the SA)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Ticketmaster link.

Is the VIP balcony going to be the best place to hear/see the band or should I stick with trying for just regular GA?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    Ticketmaster link.

Is the VIP balcony going to be the best place to hear/see the band or should I stick with trying for just regular GA?
    So the good news is the VIP balcony gives you access to GA as well, so if you want to head down and don't like the view, you can. The VIP just gives you the ability to go upstairs where there are more bars and a bit of stadium seating if you want to sit for the show. My girlfriend is smaller so we generally head on up so see can see more of the show.

If you can afford the VIP, I'd highly recommend it.

Google around to hear other opinions.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I failed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Pre-sale sold out in less then 5 minutes... had 2 in line and when I was paying was told it was out of stock.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    How come they aren't up on ticketmaster?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Someone on Twitter was saying this place has horrible acoustics.
    It does... basically a long, concrete, rectangular box. Some bands have enough gear and good enough crew to overcome this, however. I've seen both good shows and really awful ones there.

Sadly, it is one of the few remaining venues in the city (along with Danforth Music Hall, which is great, but somewhat less flexible for big productions) not controlled by the bullshit Live Nation monopolizing machinery. Oh and it's within walking distance of my apartment — so yeah, I'll be there!
    Last edited by botley; 02-27-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just scored a VIP ticket through ticketmaster. Go get them!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    Just scored a VIP ticket through ticketmaster. Go get them!
    YOU'RE A LIFE SAVER, I OWE YOU A BEER. Snagged two VIP tics!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Got a VIP ticket through Ticketmaster as well. Why am I so unhappy? :P

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Got a VIP ticket through Ticketmaster as well. Why am I so unhappy? :P
    Because it was $25 more then the presale?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
    YOU'RE A LIFE SAVER, I OWE YOU A BEER. Snagged two VIP tics!
    I'm glad you were able to snag the tickets. I appreciate all of your advice on the VIP balcony. Maybe we can buy each other a beer?

I will be going solo from the Detroit area. I will probably get to the venue around 6 pm or 7 pm. How important do you think it is to grab a front row seat on the balcony? I wonder if I really need to even get there that early considering all of the HTDA presales (early entry) were for GA.
    Last edited by somewhat_; 02-27-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: deleting a bunch of nonsense

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'll be there! I managed to nab 2 presale tickets. I was also wondering what the difference was between the ticketmaster VIP and presale, because, generally, aren't the tickets used for presale the better seats? I mean, it doesn't really make a difference considering all the VIP tickets were GA, but for venues with reserved seating, they would keep the better seats back for presale.
    But yeah, my first thought last week when the dates and venues went up was "SOUND ACADEMY? Ugh, vomit..."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for that Ticketbastard link. I'll be there then.
    Is the Sound Academy easily accessible by public transportation? I'll be coming from Montreal and I'm wondering whether to take the bus or the car...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Picked up a couple GA tickets for my wife and I. Looking forward to it! Hope to reconnect with some old ETS friends too (IJD?).

Hopefully sight lines are good. The venue is a flat floor box so might be hard for my wife to see over others' heads (she's shorter and I'm not sure we have any desire to push our way up to the rail ... too old for that now).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    Is the Sound Academy easily accessible by public transportation? I'll be coming from Montreal and I'm wondering whether to take the bus or the car...
    ennnhhh, depending on where you're starting out you can get there by one (TTC, 72 Pape) bus. If I recall correctly, there is paid parking at the venue. If you can drive, I'd say go for it. I'm not exactly looking forward waiting for the bus to go home afterwards. It's cold down by the lake.
    Last edited by pequena; 02-27-2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: added bus route

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Public transit isn't great to this venue from what I hear. It's not downtown ... but it looks like there is a way. You'll need to walk about 700m. http://goo.gl/maps/qF1Z2 (updated link)

They provide some info on how to get there here --> http://www.polsonpier.com/altpages/view/7/siteolson

A cab may also work, but could run you +$20 depending on where you are coming from.

With the car, you'll have to pay for parking (about $20) and you can wait a long time to leave the parking lot (there is only one driveway out and everyone has to leave via the same road/route (the venue is at the end of the road).
    Last edited by Gewalt Warten; 02-28-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If you're taking Greyhound, I believe they'll drop you off at Yonge/Dundas Terminal. I'm not sure if they can drop you off before the stop but if they do, you'll be much closer.

http://goo.gl/maps/ZVjGR

It's going to be 50 minutes walk (a very fun walk), so have fun sight seeing!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    There are still tickets available ... I'm so on the fence about this show.

But I just realized it's during the week so I'll have to pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    There are still tickets available ...
    Perhaps in part due to the hatred of the venue by many folks in the Toronto area. Ranked very poorly on most review sites.

Quote Originally Posted by pequena View Post
    I'll be there! I managed to nab 2 presale tickets. I was also wondering what the difference was between the ticketmaster VIP and presale, because, generally, aren't the tickets used for presale the better seats? I mean, it doesn't really make a difference considering all the VIP tickets were GA, but for venues with reserved seating, they would keep the better seats back for presale.

Congrats on getting the pre-sale. Getting in 15 minutes earlier than the rest of us (and getting the tickets cheaper) is a nice perk. I think the Ticketmaster VIP tickets are for the "VIP area" of Sound Academy. There is a 2nd floor area that overlooks the stage and main floor area, but it's off to the one side and I hear the band's sound/light gear often obstructs the view. Could be better than the floor however and I've been told you can come and go between the floor and the VIP area if you've bought those tickets. For all ages shows (which I think this is), I've also read that the VIP area is the only area you can buy/drink alcohol. Could be wrong on that point however. I don't have any personal experience with that.
    Last edited by Gewalt Warten; 02-28-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    You can buy booze in the GA but need to obtain a wristband outside before you enter to prove you are 19+.

Upstairs, no wristbands are needed.

The best place to watch and listen is centre floor downstairs, but that's difficult given the box like venue. Plus, no sloping means anyone who is short has trouble seeing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got 4 pre-sale tickets here, feeling lucky about it ! Hope we have access to balcony and floor... We are coming down from Montreal,any other people from Québec?? We are thinking about taking Megabus to avoid 6 hours drive... and get drunk on the bus = )

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_destruct View Post
    Got 4 pre-sale tickets here, feeling lucky about it ! Hope we have access to balcony and floor... We are coming down from Montreal,any other people from Québec?? We are thinking about taking Megabus to avoid 6 hours drive... and get drunk on the bus = )
    Moi. I've thought of Megabus as well but looks like the venue's pretty far from the terminal...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm about 95% sure pre-sale tix will NOT have access to the VIP area upstairs for those who were wondering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Salut! Finallement nous y allons avec mon auto si tu as besoin d'une place!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    I'm about 95% sure pre-sale tix will NOT have access to the VIP area upstairs for those who were wondering.
    Oh that sucks, i would have sit for DIIV :P

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_destruct View Post
    Salut! Finallement nous y allons avec mon auto si tu as besoin d'une place!
    As tu de la place pour 2