Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marathon Thread - been bitten by the running bug or just crazy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Marathon Thread - been bitten by the running bug or just crazy?

I'm sure there's plenty of marathon runners on this board. Post your experiences.

So far I've run 5 marathons: Baltimore, DC (National and Marine Corps), and Mardid (x2). PR was 3:45, but I'm hoping I can do better.

I've also had to cancel 5 marathons due to injury. Registered for 3 marathons this fall (intended to cancel one), and during my very last long training run ended up with a calf injury. Ugh. What sucks about marathons in the US is that they're damn expensive, they sell out, so you have to register well in advance, and pay for overpriced hotel (Steamtown) and there's no guarantee that you'll be able to have a successful training season. Most marathons don't offer deferrals, or if you do there's a hefty fee attached. Hotels don't do refunds... Think I lost about $400 this fall and I guess I'm still bitter bout it (and yes, nobody forced me to register)

But daaaaamn does it feel good when you reach the finish line!!!

Injuries: shin splints (at the beginning), IT Band and plantar fasciitis at the same time (had to do PT for months), calf injury.

Favorite brands:
    • Shoes: Mizuno all the way
    • Apparel: Sugoi, Pearl Izumi
    • Gel: GU
    Where to shop: http://runningwarehouse.com - great prices (you can always get additional 10% with their predictable monthly promo codes RWNOV2011), no tax (almost all states), 2 days free UPS shipping and free returns!

205787_2001144066790_1189203635_32476128_7795090_n.jpg
    Last edited by konstantin; 12-03-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Nice! MARATHON THREAD!

(On topic): That's a pretty cool list of completions Konstantin!

I have ran 3 so far, I intend on doing 2 or 3 for next year (2012). I have done the Marine Corps Marathon (2x) and done the Covenant Health Marathon in Knoxville, TN. PR was 5:15 for my first marathon (MCM 2009), I was running just to run but now I am looking to get anything below 5 hours. My hardest marathon to complete was the Covenant Health back in 2010 - it started down pouring around mile 16 and didn't let up until I finished + there wasn't that many people running it either so it got pretty lonely.

Intended Marathons for 2012:
    Covenant Health Marathon - Knoxville, TN
    San Francisco Marathon - San Francisco, CA
    Marine Corps Marathon - Arlington, VA

Favorite Brands:

Shoes: Brooks

Apparel: Brooks, Nike

Gel: No gel - Sometimes (Cliff) Shot Bloks

Where to shop: Asheville, NC area - Foot RX (where I go most)http://www.footrxasheville.com/ and Jus' Running http://www.jusrunning.com/

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Yes! A marathon thread!!

I have run 5 and my last at Philadelphia was my best ever. I actually trained very well for it and the course was flat with cool weather...perfect. I've struggled in my last 4 to get out of the 5 hour finish range (my best had been my first at 4:59:08 here in VT). But at Philly I managed to finish at 4:26:47. I was so pleased to have that kind of finish and felt great the whole time.

I start training again for Vermont in Feb but want to continue my base mileage around 20-25 per week. Go ETS marathoners! I'm thrilled to hear about others' experiences or expected first timers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah! Just added a list of injuries in my first post

I did the Philly Half a few years ago and it was so friggin cold (and I was underdressed) I was all shivering after I finished until I got to the hotel and showered (hypothermia I guess). It was still below freezing! Was hoping to run the full this fall. It's a mostly flat course and a great Boston qualifier.

Guess what makes marathon running so exciting is getting all the variables right, with basically no guarantee that you'll even be able to run on race day. Part of it is the race seasons: spring (allergies) and fall (cold, flu). But for me it's been mostly injuries that didn't even make sense (like the stupid calf injury at mile 2 on my planned 20 mile run).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Just got back from town with some new running shoes, got a pair of the Mizuno Wave Inspire 8 and a pair of the Brooks Ghost 3. I was going to go for the Brooks Adrenaline 12 but the arch felt different from the previous versions so I had to pass, I might get them later on. The Ghosts were on sale for $60 since the Ghost 4 came out. I haven't ran much this past week and tomorrow was supposed to be a long run day but I am going to take it easy with these new shoes, maybe a 4 to 6 mile run. After tomorrow, I'll be on week 6 of my marathon training.

Update: Speaking of injuries, a runner in our running club has found out he stressed his IT Band. I think he has to take off one to two weeks, but he lives on running so it's going to be terrible. I took this past week off to do some biking until I could get my new shoes, my previous ones (Brooks Adrenaline 11) were pretty worn out, I have been wearing them for all kinds of workout stuff when I really shouldn't have been. They were causing my ankle and knee to hurt, I applied some (KT) tape to them and went easy.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 12-03-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Addition info added.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    yeah, i'd take it easy with the new shoes especially if the model is different than what you've been running in.

IT band injury is probably the worst of all, apart from a stress fracture i guess. first time i had it was just for a few weeks (happened during a marathon) before i was able to run again, but the second time lasted for half a year. i just gave up on running for a while.

just came back from a 3 miles in the cold. i'm taking it easy after 2 months of no running (and gaining weight. hehe). love my new jacket!
    Last edited by konstantin; 12-03-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantin View Post
    yeah, i'd take it easy with the new shoes especially if the model is different than what you've been running in.

IT band injury is probably the worst of all, apart from a stress fracture i guess. first time i had it was just for a few weeks (happened during a marathon) before i was able to run again, but the second time lasted for half a year. i just gave up on running for a while.

just came back from a 3 miles in the cold. i'm taking it easy after 2 months of no running (and gaining weight. hehe). love my new jacket!

....I love that jacket!

Yeah, I'll probably take 3 or 4 miles tomorrow in the new shoes. The Inspire 8 are going to be my main training shoe this time around.

I remember having mild shin splints in between the Covenant Health and the MCM back in 2010 - I had to do a lot of cross training + swimming helped. Now I tape and ice my legs every time I finish a long run (anything above 6 is a long run for me).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    icing is always a good idea. not a fan of the ice bath after a long run in the summer though...

have a good run tomorrow!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I know what you mean, it's rough stuff. Cool, thanks Konstantin.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I just saw this earlier today ---> http://www.solar-eclipse-marathon.com

and also this --> http://www.big-five-marathon.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    exotic!!! go for it :-)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I know it's not a marathon but I'm psyched to try this out next year.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    I know it's not a marathon but I'm psyched to try this out next year.
    DUDE. I saw an advert for this a few weeks ago, I think a friend of a friend is doing this in Atlanta.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm planning to try it in Austin with my niece (whom I've never met before). She recommended it.

My next marathon is Vermont City which I've done 4 times before. Just rebuilding my base mileage now since Philly with fun weekly runs and plan to get back to the winter training season in February. So glad I bought Ice Bugs last year.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    exotic!!! go for it :-)
    I would but I am going to try to go for Chicago Marathon next year if I can improve my time over the next few months. I am setting my sights on an Ultra - either JFK 50 or Comrades Marathon.

--
    On a more personal note: Ever since the MCM 10K this past October my right leg has been hurting after I run. The MCM 10k was pretty cold and some of the bridges had frozen over a bit when we all started, they had Marines ever so often calling out the icy spots. Anyway, I figured it was just my shoes but I have been resting it, cross training and making sure (when I do run) I go easy. It feels like my ankle sometimes but then feels like my knee... My run on Sunday went well, I took a 2.5 miler with those new Mizuno. As long as I watch myself I think I'll be alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Running a half marathon in three months. HELP ME.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I've run four half marathons. I did my first one when I was 40 years old. My PR is 1:47 (official, 1:44 net). No urge or capacity to go full marathon. Have also done the Sydney City2Surf, the world's largest run, twice; it's a very good time.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sukey View Post
    Running a half marathon in three months. HELP ME.
    Come to the States and run with some of us.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thankfully I'm not training but the hills I did on my 8 miler on Saturday have resulted in a weekend of pain and suffering due to runner's knee on my left. I had been injury free for a long stretch, so I guess this was bound to happen. Going to miss running for a while. All of you still hitting the trails/roads, do one or two for me (at a comfortable pace ). Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    Thankfully I'm not training but the hills I did on my 8 miler on Saturday have resulted in a weekend of pain and suffering due to runner's knee on my left. I had been injury free for a long stretch, so I guess this was bound to happen. Going to miss running for a while. All of you still hitting the trails/roads, do one or two for me (at a comfortable pace ). Thanks!
    sorry to hear... not sure if what i'm dealing with is runner's knee too (feel like my right knee is disaligned), but i'll probably need to see a doctor.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient-2970
    Thankfully I'm not training but the hills I did on my 8 miler on Saturday have resulted in a weekend of pain and suffering due to runner's knee on my left.
    sorry to hear... not sure if what i'm dealing with is runner's knee too (feel like my right knee is disaligned), but i'll probably need to see a doctor.
    I hope you guys get well soon!

I hope I am not get getting runner's knee or some other injury. So I've been resting my legs, doing a lot of cross training. I went for a three miler yesterday and my leg wasn't hurting as bad as it has been - I think those new shoes are helping + I have taken my pace slower. It feels like I have some weakness when trying to stand on only my right leg but it goes away after a while. I usually feel it some when I'm running and right after the run. I have another three miler tomorrow so we'll see how it feels.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Knee is starting to get better. Thank goodness!!

Curious, any of you tried minimalist running yet? Vibrams, barefoot, etc? I'm tempted to give it a whirl this coming year but only have data from all of the "experts" on how great it is. I have yet to hear from your average joe runner on how the transition is. I've moved to a more midfoot strike in the past year and do a better job of landing under my torso and less out in front and have felt comfortable with that form but not sure about losing the shoes. They are such a "crutch". If so, let me know how it's going or went. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    glad you're feeling better!

i'm not sure what exactly are the benefits of the vibrams... it's already too easy to get injured even when you're running in shoes with max support, why add more risk of injury?

i personally find regular (neutral) running shoes too heavy. may be my imagination but there just comes a time when i notice the weigh of the shoe. so i've been running in Mizuno Wave Ronin, which is actually still considered "minimalist", even though they come with some support. they're basically "racing flats" and weigh about 7 oz (size 9).

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Ok cool. I am considering that type of shoe now. I've been running the past year in Asics Keyano's (was running in Gel Nimbus but late in training this year the model was not available when I needed it). Those shoes are full support and corrective. I'm an under pronator with high arches, but from what I've read, the pronation issue is only really an issue if you're heel striking all the time. I know quite little of biomechanics but a lot tells me to at least give these flat shoes a try. Thanks!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I like how we were talking about injuries and now it seems that I actually have an injury. I think it might be related to my shin splints. I have taped my leg up and have done very little running for the month of Dec. and the beginning of Jan.

If any of you remember, I was going to be going into the Marine Corps this past year. But due to the war ending and cut backs across the board for all military branches, the higher ups decided that they only needed the best qualified people. I was not one of the best qualified due to my migraines and history of shin splints. I am now back at school and since I am unable to run right now, I'm going to take up a lot of cross training.

I know right now, my hopes of running the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon this year are diminished - It is just above two months till the marathon (April 1st) and I am in the shape I need to run it. I might run the half marathon if I can but I really don't want to push myself that far yet. I might do the four person relay or the 5k. My hopes have now shifted to the San Francisco marathon or the Marine Corps Marathon (Registration is March 7).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Also, a really great YouTube channel for info about running injuries is The Sock Doc's. Injuries he has covered thus far are shin splints, piriformis syndrome, low-back pain, sciatica, IT band syndrome, Achilles tendonitis, and plantar fasciitis:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSockDoc

His website also has some good articles:
    http://sock-doc.com/

In my own experience, I've had great results in treating IT band syndrome and plantar fasciitis by having the Graston Technique performed on the affected soft tissue. It's a non-surgical way of breaking up scar tissue in the muscles and fascia, and much quicker than extensive physical therapy which might not achieve the same results as Graston.
    http://www.grastontechnique.com/

Another thing to address if you have plantar fasciitis, is targeting trigger points in the soleus, gastrocnemius, and posterior tibialis muscles. There are various tools and gadgets that can help loosen up the tight bits in the calves, such as the Footballer by TP (Trigger Point) Therapy, along with their foam block and TP Massage Ball. The Tiger Tail is also a great tool for loosening up the legs.... it's like a small diameter rolling pin. Similar concept as The Stick, but it uses a single roller covered with a firm kraton foam, instead of plastic beads like The Stick. The Stick works fine, and I find the firmer versions are more effective. Thera Canes are also good to use on legs.
    As far as foam rollers go, I think most tend to just steamroll and mash the muscles. I really like the Rumble Roller, which is much different:
    http://www.rumbleroller.com/

Standard foam rollers are great for laying on lengthwise, doing backstroke movements and snow angels to loosen up the shoulders and pecs, but it's not my first choice to massage my calves, quads, and IT bands. Some trigger points in muscles can be rather stubborn and inaccessible with the use of rollers and massage balls. Sometimes, the best tools to use are your hands with ample pressure and kneading.

As far as minimalist shoes go, I think the New Balance Minimus MT10 trail shoe is a decent one. Not perfect, but good. The MT20 resolves some of the forefoot tightness that some have complained about in the MT10, as well as the high toespring in the first model. The road Minimus just didn't feel right at all. I'm looking forward to the New Balance Zero line of shoes that have zero-drop (no heel lift). They'll be in stores around late February, I believe. This week I'll most likely pick up a pair of Newton Distance shoes for the road. Zero drop for these, which is great for a natural running style, or Chi Running, or Pose Method. I've used their trail shoe for a brief period, but never liked the stiff material around the toe box. I think it's just the trail shoe that uses this more durable material, as their road shoes' uppers are more supple. Their Isaac models (Sir Isaac for men, Lady Isaac for women) are also great shoes. I think the differential between heel and forefoot height for those is about 3 mm. Certainly better than the tall heels of many shoes, but it will require a very sensible transition period if your Achilles and solei are in a shortened state from years of tall-heeled shoes.
    If you want to run with a more natural form, but feel that Vibram FiveFingers don't provide enough protection or cushion, search for your nearest Newton dealer and try them on.
    http://www.newtonrunning.com/

Lastly, here's a great article which talks about a number of things, including an old running form exercise called the 100-Up, which was recently rediscovered by Christopher McDougall, author of Born To Run:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/ma...pagewanted=all

Here's another video that demonstrates the 100-Up exercise quite well:

http://hundredup.com/learn-georges-1...ning-exercise/
    Last edited by Findus; 01-09-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    cheer up everyone! hardly any kind of injury lasts forever.

i'm still not sure what's wrong with my knee so i'm just doing 3 milers (a week), but i'm also under no pressure to be training for anything any get upset. got a deferral last years for a race in October, and that's a long way to go. not sure i'll even bother registering for Marine Corps this year after last year's fail.

i really do miss the sense of structure training gives me though.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Ran a fun 5K on New Years Day and felt pretty good (29 minutes). The knee may still need occasional stretching to do OK from here on out though. I have not been on the "regular running" mode due to illness and weather lately but I think this week is my open door to get back on board. Looking forward to it as my training for Vermont City Marathon kicks in first week of Feb.
    Last edited by sentient02970; 01-10-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: duh

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I am going to try to do a 1 mile run tomorrow here on campus - it will determine what my status is as far as getting over this injury. If I still feel pain after resting it for this past week and a half (which has been rough to do - I want to run bad) then I'll have to take off 4 to 6 weeks.

--- Thinking about it now, it might be good to take a long break. But I'll know tomorrow.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Entering week 2 of my training for 2012 Vermont City Marathon. Feels pretty good so far (but that Sunday 7 miler was VERY cold!). Unfortunately I'm training for a marathon I have yet to register for and not sure when I'll be able to afford to. I know, stupid.