Page 94 of 150 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94 95 96 104 144 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 4490

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah, Rick Rubin has not improved things for anyone ... in awhile. I knew I'd be disappointed in the new songs at least partially due to his general approach. I did like the live performance; every live show I've seen they're all a little disinterested though Billy did seem nervous and Jimmy ... I don't know. Maybe Jimmy is just a little older but he doesn't have the same energy. Which is fine. I enjoyed the track live somewhat. It was great to see James there again, I will say.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Is Solara the only song Rubin ruined? Or will he have ruined the entire upcoming EP, as well?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    Is Solara the only song Rubin ruined? Or will he have ruined the entire upcoming EP, as well?
    He worked on all of the tracks for both EPs coming. Let's hope Billy goes back into the studio and reworks the 2nd EP. Doubtful he can do much now for the first one.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I talked a little shit earlier, but I actually watched the two songs just now and I thought the band sounded good. Yeah I'd like to see more energy out of Billy at least, but I'd care more about that at a show than just watching a TV performance (although you'd think he'd be savvy enough to know it will help this tour if he looks more into it on TV). Billy didn't speed up Zero, so that alone was enough to win me over. No idea why they have three guitarists. They are not Iron Maiden.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Well shit. The live version was much better.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    No idea why they have three guitarists. They are not Iron Maiden.
    Because he couldn't muster the courage to break up with Jeff. Haha! I kid, Jeff is actually a really nice guy and very down to Earth. I met him backstage in 2015. He signed my poster and then he went and had Billy sign it. I didn't get to meet Billy because he was busy in his dressing room (wearing a white robe) with his baby momma and another Asian girl, but he signed my poster and looked over and nodded at me (I was outside in the hallway).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    James Iha is a fantastic musician, but my God, he has the stage presence of a log. He’s the same way with A Perfect Circle.
    Last edited by Bachy; 06-13-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    stage presence of a log.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Actually I think a log has a lot of charisma. It's kind of an insult to logs considering that one of the stars of Twin Peaks was a log and that log rocked!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote the post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That performance of Zero and the new song... it looked like NO ONE wanted to be there. I think I saw them all check their watch at some point.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    James doesn't move around much on stage because he's incredibly near-sighted and D'Arcy said she prevented him from falling off the stage into the crowd on a few occasions. He's always worn glasses offstage.

All the anecdotes and terrible jokes more than make up for it IMO. I don't need anyone performing rockstar poses.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I talked a little shit earlier, but I actually watched the two songs just now and I thought the band sounded good. Yeah I'd like to see more energy out of Billy at least, but I'd care more about that at a show than just watching a TV performance (although you'd think he'd be savvy enough to know it will help this tour if he looks more into it on TV). Billy didn't speed up Zero, so that alone was enough to win me over. No idea why they have three guitarists. They are not Iron Maiden.
    Agree. Best Zero performance since I can't remember when. Billy's voice seems a bit odd. Not sure if is a new stylistic approach or that his voice has aged and can't reach the intensity he used to sing with.

Overall this was a great performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    James doesn't move around much on stage because he's incredibly near-sighted and D'Arcy said she prevented him from falling off the stage into the crowd on a few occasions. He's always worn glasses offstage.

All the anecdotes and terrible jokes more than make up for it IMO. I don't need anyone performing rockstar poses.
    Does he not know that contacts are a thing? Is he unaware of the existence of Lasik eye surgery? We know he can afford it...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just saw those performances on Jimmy Fallon and I was like.... eh.... there doesn't seem to be a lot of life in those performances.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    During their Howard Stern appearance this week, Billy talked for an hour, did his usual nonsense on how he saw shape shifters and lizard people. The rest of the band sat in utter silence. James said 1 word the entire interview. Howard basically begged James to talk and he wouldnt mutter more than 1 or 2 words. This reunion won't last 10 shows

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    During their Howard Stern appearance this week, Billy talked for an hour, did his usual nonsense on how he saw shape shifters and lizard people. The rest of the band sat in utter silence. James said 1 word the entire interview. Howard basically begged James to talk and he wouldnt mutter more than 1 or 2 words. This reunion won't last 10 shows
    Is Billy legitimately unwell now?

And I'm sure they're riding in separate buses...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Is Billy legitimately unwell now?

And I'm sure they're riding in separate buses...
    When Howard got to the D'arcy part of the interview, Billy rambled on about how it was a mutual decision by everyone to not allow her back, so when Howard asked James about her.....Didnt sound so mutual....He mumbled something about how he's sorry it didn't work out and how it's weird and then Howard changed the subject....10 shows then it'll crash...Maybe 5

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Finally watched the Jimmy Fallon performances.
    I thought the new song was okay. It was about what I expected.
    Zero seemed really good to me with the exception of Billy's voice. Jimmy always looks that way IMO, same goes for James.
    Billy just doesn't have a voice live anymore. I think he knows it, so he isn't going to strain his voice even more.
    Even when I saw SP back in 2008 I though his voice was awful and shot then. It happens to most singers.
    I love the Pumpkins but I am realistic about new music and performing these days.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Aaaand that's it. These two dates is all Europe gets, apparently.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Finally listened to Solara. Big time Meh.

Sounds like a Zeitgeist outtake. And I didn't even hate Zeitgeist, but that's not really what I was hoping for here.

Hoping the 7 other tracks are a bit more diverse.

And yeah the performance was lackluster and subdued, but I also don't put a lot of stock in the late night show performances.

Still believe the eventual live show will be pretty awesome. And I wouldn't have a lot of concerns that they won't make it through the dates. Too much money on the line to bail. Everyone knew what they were getting into here. You would like for it to not be a grind, but if it is, it's not like there is an insane amount of dates. They will trudge onward and play the shows. If anything maybe we just lose out on some encores, extended James banter etc.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The Smashing Pumpkins

Edit: Nm
    Last edited by Piko; 06-17-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    , followed by .

Better performance of Solara IMO but he doesn't seem like he's trying to hit the Bullet screams anymore, don't think he can

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    , followed by .

Better performance of Solara IMO but he doesn't seem like he's trying to hit the Bullet screams anymore, don't think he can
    Now that's a much better performance of Solara!

Edit: Minus the vocals.
    It's a bit of a shock to myself, watching those performances made me think now SP could be a more democratic band. James and Jimmy shines no less than Billy.
    Back then we still knew James' guitar and Jimmy's drumming was exceptional but now they looks like they're the core of the band.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 06-18-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah I always like watching Jimmy drum, seems so effortless. James sounds great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    , followed by .

Yeah it seems Billy's voice is shot. I'll be amazed if he can still scream when they play BWBW.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Cover of guitar wold right?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    "The band looked like they were being held hostage"...........Howard Stern earlier today discussing their appearance

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    his voice sounds shaky... like he's hung over or something.