Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil vs Nine Inch Nails: Uncoiled/Recoiled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    danny has always seemed nice to me, and from what i've seen over the last several years it does seem he needs the cash. the fact that he still holds back original material with coil is a testament to him. as i said before, i am grateful to all of you who made this possible, and i am happy to purchase this while it is still available.

regarding remixes, it's pretty standard for remixers to be paid a flat fee. regardless of the extent to which new material is written, in most cases the remixers do not receive new songwriter publishing for it. i think this applies to all of the great coil and danny remixes for NIN. once a remix is delivered to the artist and/or label, rights have been pretty much surrendered. on top of that, the version in se7en is an edit of the coil remix by the music team from the film. it would have been more accurate and definitely more fair to credit the particular mix, but that was almost 20 years back in remix culture so i'm sure the film studio and/or director didn't have such a sophisticated view. i always have a keen eye for the music credits in films, and it's pretty common for details to be left off like that it even is a remix, which one it is, who is featured, and sometimes even the writing credits (especially for old movies).
    Last edited by howisya; 01-25-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Just received an email from Amazon regarding my preorder, looks like the release date has been pushed back to February 24.
    it said that on the Cold Spring website pretty early on; not really new information, particularly. Amazon may have just been late to the party.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Amazon originally had it listed as being released on Feb 3.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Vens View Post
    ...per some of your requests, here is a slimline maxi jewelcase concept of what Uncoiled Extended could look like in physical form:

(don't know! i might forgo making this one a reality instead...)
    Small typo on the back says Uncloiled.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Small typo on the back says Uncloiled.
    ...thanks man! correcting now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nice.... Recoiled is up on Spotify![IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by r_k_f; 01-27-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I don't use spotify; is it available to stream right now? if so, how's the new Eraser mix sound?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Woohoo! Just search for "Recoiled".

Yes, it's available for stream. My Uncoiled playlist actually got updated with the new tracks. Smart stuff. I haven't listened to the Eraser ones, but so far it's either the fact that I just woke up at 5:30 AM or they actually sound a bit different from Uncoiled.

Last edited by MAD; 01-27-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ahhh..... don't you miss remixes like these? Back when someone gave a fuck. Spotify's Newly Available Remix EP > Beatsmusic's Newly Available Remix EP
    Last edited by r_k_f; 01-28-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: aesthetics

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    They put the Closer (Unrecalled) mix up on Soundcloud. This remix is really good. I think the TDS era remixes are my favorites, and it's so cool hearing new ones after almost 20 years.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    2 erasers one by one taking up entire side of vinyl? smart...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    How's the Baby Alarm remix?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    How's the Baby Alarm remix?
    countless layers of awesome that fade in and out only to reveal more awesome... and 8 minutes and 53 seconds of it.
    Last edited by r_k_f; 01-29-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: clarification

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howisya View Post
    the version in se7en is an edit of the coil remix by the music team from the film. it would have been more accurate and definitely more fair to credit the particular mix, but that was almost 20 years back in remix culture so i'm sure the film studio and/or director didn't have such a sophisticated view. i always have a keen eye for the music credits in films, and it's pretty common for details to be left off like that it even is a remix, which one it is, who is featured, and sometimes even the writing credits (especially for old movies).
    From the IMDB:

The song used for the opening credit sequence is a remix of a remix of "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails. It was credited as "Closer (Precursor) (Remix)" by Nine Inch Nails on the Criterion laserdisc, but the new DVD simply credits the song as Closer by Nine Inch Nails. The new DVD was made using one of the CCE silver retention process prints as the Criterion laserdisc was, while the previous New Line VHS, laserdisc and DVD releases used one of the regular theatrical prints. The song title differs on these prints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know I'm a year late, but thanks so much for hunting down these gems and putting together this compilation . I looking forward to hearing the baby alarm mix of Eraser.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't check NIN.com or the hotline for a few days and look what I missed! Gutted about not getting a coloured vinyl, but glad to be able to buy the normal black one and happy overall to see this made into a physical thing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    ^ Don't worry, there was no word about it on NIN.com.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wiki has Recoiled released for Feb. 24th.

I haven't heard any of these remixes yet! I gotta get on it! I don't see it on Spotify though. Bummer.
    Last edited by Omega; 02-01-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Has anyone tried to order the black vinyl through their local record store for a decent price? I didn't feel like spending an extra $15 to support my local record store. I don't know how it stays in business with the unreasonably high markups. They have a new vinyl copy of How To Destroy Angels' "Welcome Oblivion" for $35. I can buy it for approximately $20 at Amazon. I'm all for keeping record stores alive but I'm not willing to spend an extra $15 for every record I purchase.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [73] View Post
    Has anyone tried to order the black vinyl through their local record store for a decent price? I didn't feel like spending an extra $15 to support my local record store. I don't know how it stays in business with the unreasonably high markups. They have a new vinyl copy of How To Destroy Angels' "Welcome Oblivion" for $35. I can buy it for approximately $20 at Amazon. I'm all for keeping record stores alive but I'm not willing to spend an extra $15 for every record I purchase.
    I mean, record stores pay their tax and don't have the luxury of abusing their staff members to within the limits of human decency. The premium you pay is for a combination of staff knowledge and for them obeying taxation laws.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ^ I used to work for Amazon so I was used to seeing HTDA and NIN vinyl fly off the shelves. I'm sure I fulfilled a lot of ETS members' orders throughout the years.
    Last edited by [73]; 02-03-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Wiki has Recoiled released for Feb. 24th.

I haven't heard any of these remixes yet! I gotta get on it! I don't see it on Spotify though. Bummer.
    Weirdly enough, it seems customers who pre-ordered the Recoiled CD from amazon can already download the mp3 'autorip' version. Playing it now, very loud. So far, it sounds yummy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    yeah... not up on Spotify anymore.. boooo

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Weirdly enough, it seems customers who pre-ordered the Recoiled CD from amazon can already download the mp3 'autorip' version. Playing it now, very loud. So far, it sounds yummy.
    any chance you feel like sharing the "baby alarm" mix of eraser?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This has given me a nostalgia for the closer remix singles and both UK/uS Further Down the Spiral remix EPs, love them.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    The CD looks pretty badass:

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    So do those mean we should be receiving our vinyl copies soon!?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    According to their Facebook page, the vinyls aren't yet in stock, or at least it wasn't three days ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Its on itunes for $4.95

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Hey @Michael_Vens , I just wanted to say your designs are really awesome, but something had stuck out at me.. you put Creative Commons logos on the designs, I'm just wondering what you mean by that, it could be construed as suggesting the music is CC licensed, but it isn't; It's also not kosher if your source graphics aren't explicitly CC or liberally licensed in the first place too...