Page 110 of 160 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,300 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    I couldn't tell you what band she's in if my life depended on it.
    A badass one.

Since there seems to be genuine confusion over whether my post was sarcasm - it definitely was. Karen O is a well established, talented musician known for her work with Yeah Yeah Yeahs. They're very awesome and very worth looking into for anybody who isn't familiar. Clearly Trent respects them and so should you.

This quote might not build a lot of goodwill in recruiting new fans, but I came across it while Googling for further info re: TR's opinion on YYYs* and found it funny.

"I plead total ignorance to Led Zeppelin. I am totally in the dark about them" Karen O told The Sun.

"That was the reason I could muster up whatever it took to actually cover that song. I didn't have any reverence for the track as I didn't really know it. When they asked I thought it was called 'The Pilgrim Song'".

Continuing, Karen O described her performance as "angsty". "When I went into the studio to record the song I was feeling pretty angsty. I poured all my torment into the track as Trent's section was pretty rad. It's ballsy with the primal scream in there which was really fun and liberating to do".
    * Anybody know if Trent has mentioned Karen/YYYs in any interviews? All I can find is a bunch of press for Immigrant Song.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Oh I knew your post was sarcasm. Doesn't change the fact that I couldn't tell you what band she's in, and if anyone mentioned Karen O to me, my 1st thought is that she sang on that Immigrant Song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post

He worked for that iteration of the band in my opinion. Some people give him shit for standing still and bobbing his head and not running around on stage, but I've never understood why he needed to do that to be considered an asset to the live band. His bass playing really brought some extra "oomph!" to the tracks they played, and that's what really matters to me at the end of the day. Would he work with the current, more aggressive iteration of the band? Probably not, but there's a more ragged performance quality to this version compared to the more polished version we saw during the Tension tour.
    I'm not mad on his stage presence, but it's his playing style I have problems with the most. There were some songs where he contributed with things I enjoy but I particularly hate what he did during HLAH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh I knew your post was sarcasm. Doesn't change the fact that I couldn't tell you what band she's in, and if anyone mentioned Karen O to me, my 1st thought is that she sang on that Immigrant Song.

I'd say chances are high you've heard at least Gold Lion.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The actual names of musicans in bands usually eludes me, hell if it weren't for mp3, I used to only know songs by track number on the CD.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    I'd say chances are high you've heard at least Gold Lion.

Just took a listen, I've never heard that song before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just took a listen, I've never heard that song before.

Give that guy a try.
    Last edited by lightfoot_heavyhand; 05-29-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Gotta have heard Maps. Everyone knows Maps. Song was massive, and reached even more people later on bc of Rock Band.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Here’s something controversial that I’ll definitely get shit for: I’d like to see Atticus step away from NIN for awhile. Change of pace. Seems like a lot of the score stuff/HTDA/NIN can be interchangeable since 2011.
    Not controversial at all. I'd love to see him jettisoned from the studio sessions for a little while and see what Trent comes up with if he wasn't around playing with countless types of repetitious drum patterns and loops that never, or barely, change throughout a song.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Seems more realistic that people who think NIN suck and have been exactly the same for about a gazillion years should step away from whingeing about it on forums all the time, anyway they tried getting somebody else in to produce HM so it's not like it's something that hasn't been thought about
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-29-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Not controversial at all. I'd love to see him jettisoned from the studio sessions for a little while and see what Trent comes up with if he wasn't around playing with countless types of repetitious drum patterns and loops that never, or barely, change throughout a song.
    I mean, aren't all NIN songs like this, even before Atticus? We have almost all the instrumentals from TDS and TF, and it seems fair to say that almost all of the non-instrumental TF songs consist of repetitious drum patterns and loops that don't really change much? Only the originally instrumental TF songs evolve a lot in terms of the loops underneath the layers of instruments. That's kind of the "NIN sound" and is true of almost all computer-based popular music. If anything, some of the new EP tracks seem to evolve more than pre-Atticus music.

I still believe that even though Atticus brings a lot to NIN and is now an official member, that it's still kinda Trent's call as to what goes out and what's good enough for NIN? Like, basically: I would assume that Trent has veto power, I guess.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-29-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have been on here before saying how much I didn't like YZ and how YZR was like Strobe Light only not a joke. Well I have changed my mind. I still can't get into two thirds of YZ, but I think YZR is great. I now prefer YZR to YZ.

I would like to compile a hybrid of the 2 albums for my own pleasure, but the mastering is very different and it would be hard to get it working.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    I now prefer YZR to YZ.

I would like to compile a hybrid of the 2 albums for my own pleasure, but the mastering is very different and it would be hard to get it working.
    As do I! There's WAY more variety to YZR in it's production and I almost prefer some of the remix versions against the original YZ songs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From what I have read and watched, NIN's is trying to make music to better fit how people consume music, hence the last two EPs and the next EPish LP. I don't think this is working. I think NIN's making one-off songs or easy to consume EP's is about as silly as Pink Floyd doing the same. Some bands, people, make epic albums that require that you sit your butt down and listen to an entire album in its entirety, numerous times, to truly appreciate its depth and excellence.

NIN's has been my favorite band for decades. I have enjoyed every album. I don't get what they, TR, is doing right now. I wish I liked it. I want to like it. I don't like it. I am glad most of the people on this forum do. We are lucky that NIN's is still making music after all of the years. That being said... I just don't get it.

I literally joined this forum because I had to put this opinion out into the universe.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    What is there to get? It's two EPs and an album that work together as a loose narrative. Just because it's not all in one album doesn't make it pointless. If you don't like the music itself, fine, but the concept is pretty clear, and it's not that out there of an idea.

Also...you know...Broken and The Perfect Drug and Burn and Deep and...
    Last edited by BRoswell; 06-04-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic Voyager View Post
    From what I have read and watched, NIN's is trying to make music to better fit how people consume music, hence the last two EPs and the next EPish LP. I don't think this is working. I think NIN's making one-off songs or easy to consume EP's is about as silly as Pink Floyd doing the same. Some bands, people, make epic albums that require that you sit your butt down and listen to an entire album in its entirety, numerous times, to truly appreciate its depth and excellence.

NIN's has been my favorite band for decades. I have enjoyed every album. I don't get what they, TR, is doing right now. I wish I liked it. I want to like it. I don't like it. I am glad most of the people on this forum do. We are lucky that NIN's is still making music after all of the years. That being said... I just don't get it.

I literally joined this forum because I had to put this opinion out into the universe.
    I feel like the only "easy to consume" thing on the first two EPs is "Less Than". On most everything else you can't hear the lyrics and the music is hardly what a normal person would call "palatable". The weird slow jazz of TITP? The 7 minute meltdown at the end of TBW? It's nuts...

As far as not liking what's going on, I feel like these EPs were an experiment and that he'll (probably?) get back to something less out there for halo 33.

Maybe.

Or we'll get Ghosts V-VIII.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Halo 33 will be a 3xLP conceptual sequel to "Screaming Slave."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Coincidently, I revisited Ghosts for the first time in a very long time today. There was some really great stuff on there. A lot that I really wish he fleshed out more.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    There was some really great stuff on there. A lot that I really wish he fleshed out more.
    "God Break Down The Door" has Ghosts like qualities to it, to my ears...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Halo 33 will be a 3xLP conceptual sequel to "Screaming Slave."
    Whatever it is, I hope it's fucking amazing, simply because my friend Barrett has been going by @halo33 for as long as I've known him and I'd be REALLY bummed out if it sucked.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    The only thing I've ever disliked about the song is how it literally just recycles Down In It for the bridge. But even then, the recycle is well-done and fits, musically.
    AFTER OVER 20 YEARS AS A NIN FAN I HAVE NEVER MADE THAT CONNECTION. Fuck me (gently) with a chainsaw, this changes everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    What is there to get? It's two EPs and an album that work together as a loose narrative. Just because it's not all in one album doesn't make it pointless. If you don't like the music itself, fine, but the concept is pretty clear, and it's not that out there of an idea.

Also...you know...Broken and The Perfect Drug and Burn and Deep and...
    I dont even see how they work together as a loose narrative. Broken feels fluid to me... and the three great songs work within the movies they were made for. Burn was literally perfect for NBK.

That being said, I am happy they are putting out music so this is some pretty high level complaining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I feel like the only "easy to consume" thing on the first two EPs is "Less Than". On most everything else you can't hear the lyrics and the music is hardly what a normal person would call "palatable". The weird slow jazz of TITP? The 7 minute meltdown at the end of TBW? It's nuts...

As far as not liking what's going on, I feel like these EPs were an experiment and that he'll (probably?) get back to something less out there for halo 33.

Maybe.

Yes, Less Than was made for radio, that is for sure. It is probably my third (edit from 2 because The Background World is pretty damn good) fav song of the trilogy so far. Burning Bright is by far my favorite. I just read a bunch of quotes from TR talking about the new way people consume music and these EPs being an experiment ... to create music that matches how people consume music. I would set links if I remembers where I read it.
    Last edited by Oceanic Voyager; 06-05-2018 at 05:39 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Muse is doing things similar right now. Matt says the current climate is all about having a single and no one is listening to full albums. So they’ve released a 1 off single every couple months. Looks like they are working on a full album now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic Voyager View Post
    Yes, Less Than was made for radio, that is for sure. It is probably my third (edit from 2 because The Background World is pretty damn good) fav song of the trilogy so far. Burning Bright is by far my favorite. I just read a bunch of quotes from TR talking about the new way people consume music and these EPs being an experiment ... to create music that matches how people consume music. I would set links if I remembers where I read it.
    I think I remember that interview. I believe he was referring to releasing smaller projects every year or so as opposed to a full length album every four years, I don't think he was comparing the accessibility of said releases.
    It'll be interesting to see how this approach works for him. I always wonder how bands that've been around for decades garner new fans. You can't just put out an LP with a radio single because there is no radio anymore. Music videos only exist if you track them down and only really get noticed if they go viral. I suppose an artist can just be happy with their 30 year fanbase (like some of the folks here who are going to follow every move NIN makes and buy three different versions of every release), but I'm always interested on how a band evolves their fans.
    Last edited by paul_guyet; 06-05-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm not a big fan of year zero album, I think i hate a little that album (Meet your master, The great destroyer, Me I''m not, Warning, Vessel)
    I really like the song everything

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AThousandDaysBefore View Post
    I'm not a big fan of year zero album, I think i hate a little that album (Meet your master, The great destroyer, Me I''m not, Warning, Vessel)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AThousandDaysBefore View Post
    Funny, I love the end of The Great Destroyer and Me I 'm not is just awesome imho. And the message in Year Zero in general is so true and valid today.
    Different strokes for different folks.

btw, Everything is so much fun. I totally agree with you there.
    Last edited by Oceanic Voyager; 06-06-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think I remember that interview. I believe he was referring to releasing smaller projects every year or so as opposed to a full length album every four years, I don't think he was comparing the accessibility of said releases.
    It'll be interesting to see how this approach works for him. I always wonder how bands that've been around for decades garner new fans. You can't just put out an LP with a radio single because there is no radio anymore. Music videos only exist if you track them down and only really get noticed if they go viral. I suppose an artist can just be happy with their 30 year fanbase (like some of the folks here who are going to follow every move NIN makes and buy three different versions of every release), but I'm always interested on how a band evolves their fans.
    That is possible, I may have over interpreted that quote about the albums onto the individual songs. That being said, I haven't been a fan of what they have decided to release as singles, which in the end may be my real beef. This latest release was ... wtf? I love Bowie, but not NIN's doing Bowie. It was much better when Bowie was doing NINs