Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack White/Third Man

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    The only thing I wish was different about the album, was that it had a little less country and more Freedom At 21. Not saying it's bad by any means, I just prefer the loud shit over his country works.
    You know, I kiiind of agree, but I think that the country sound is presented in a way that I find more likeable. It's definitely not like he's pulling an Aaron Lewis and saying "HEY GUYS, I CAN PLAY COUNTRY STUFF, TOO!" I'll say it caught me off guard at first, but it's definitely warmed up to me after playing the record off and on all day.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    By the way, if you have a spare two hours the Gary Oldman (!!!) directed show from Webster Hall is god damn beautiful. You can check out individual clips or the whole show on here. Well worth checking out.

The setlist went like this:
    Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
    Missing Pieces
    Freedom At 21
    Love Interruption
    Hotel Yorba
    Two Against One (Rome cover)
    Top Yourself (Raconteurs song)
    I'm Slowly Turning Into You (White Stripes song)
    Blue Blood Blues (Dead Weather song)
    Take Me With You When You Go
    Sixteen Saltines
    I Cut Like a Buffalo (Dead Weather song)
    Weep Themselves to Sleep
    Trash Tongue Talker
    You Know That I Know (Hank Williams cover)
    We're Going to be Friends
    Hypocritical Kiss
    Hello Operator
    Carolina Drama (Raconteurs song)
    Seven Nation Army
    Goodnight Irene (Leadbelly cover)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Wow

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Here's my review of Blunderbuss for anybody that's interested: http://ourvinyl.com/jack-white-blunderbuss-revie/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    So I guess Jack White and Co just played a semi-secret Forrest show outside of OUTSIDELANDS. I have a photo coming shortly by a friend of mine who sat dead center in front of JW....

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    As promised....

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Looks like Tom Morello showed up too!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    What a hero. Between this joker and Billy Bob from Green Day, it's been an excellent couple weeks for aging rocker diva fits.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    There's probably a good reason for the short set. Yeah, i'd be mad if I were there. Maybe he was sick?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    What a hero. Between this joker and Billy Bob from Green Day, it's been an excellent couple weeks for aging rocker diva fits.
    Billy Bob comment made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    There's probably a good reason for the short set. Yeah, i'd be mad if I were there. Maybe he was sick?
    I'm sure. I just read and watched some videos and he was clearly not in his usual mood and was at a faster pace.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah he seems pretty pissed at the crowd for I guess not doing much. "Did you get your popcorn yet? Has the movie started?"

Forgive the annoyingly edited video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What's the big deal about the short set?

An hour is ideal for me, especially if he had touring compatriots.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    People who bitch about not getting an encore don't deserve an encore. Remember when encores weren't an always guaranteed thing?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    No offense, but why do you guys rush to his defense? Mr. White doesn't need your defense. Also, context matters. 45 minutes at a festival, sure, why not, it's to be expected. 45 minutes at a headlining gig, midway through your tour, in a major city? Not OK. It's a let-down and a waste of money. It's unprofessional to berate your audience from the stage before you give up in frustration, and it's even more unprofessional to run a feed of a bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne from backstage on to the main hall's projector, as a let-them-eat-cake gesture, whilst your (former?) fans chant "Fuck Jack White" outside.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    this show cost $90. for $90, that's bullshit & ripping off your fans, plain & simple. he's a shitty person for doing it, even if his frustration with the crowd was valid (and it seemed so). Sorry, you don't get to screw people over like that when you charge that much to see you. I won't be seeing him again outside of a festival performance. Think about what we as NIN fans got for our $90 back in the summer of '09, both between the best seat to the tour with JA, and then the Wave Goodbye shows. Jack White, that's fucked up man.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was there in the second row of the orchestra pit Saturday, it was definitely one of the most memorable shows I've ever been to. Honestly it surprises me a little that people are so butthurt about the whole thing because aside from Jack's bitchy comments (which is something he's known to do if the crowd sucks and believe me, at least up in the front it really did) it was a goddamn good show. This was my fourth time seeing him solo (also seen him 3x each with the White Stripes and Dead Weather) and performance-wise it was the best. His male backing band the Buzzards have really gelled into a cohesive unit and were in top form and Jack himself was tearing apart his guitar like he had something to prove, I've never seen him play with fury like that before. Yeah the tickets were pricey and yeah he usually plays 5 or 6 more songs but minute for minute it was a really intense set, and I'd rather see a show like that than a show that goes on for 2 hours where the artist is just phoning it in & doesn't really try.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    People who bitch about not getting an encore don't deserve an encore. Remember when encores weren't an always guaranteed thing?
    Exactly how I feel. Maybe it was different elsewhere in the venue but the people in my area did nothing to deserve an encore. They were the biggest bunch of lifeless, miserable, bored-looking hipster fucks I've ever seen at a show, most of them weren't paying attention to what was happening on the stage or even clapping between songs, they were just fucking around on their iPhones and having conversations as if they were in their own homes. As an audience member those sort of people piss me off, I can't imagine how frustrating behaviour like that is to a performer.
    Last edited by StopRemembering; 10-02-2012 at 02:13 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i agree about general shitty concert etiquette, phone chatter, lifeless crowds, etc. i've severely cut down my own concert going for this very reason. however, as some have said above, charing almost $100 for a 50 minute, festival length show is a grey area that makes this a little more difficult to accept. there's something unprofessional about talking shit about a crowd, cutting the set short, yet still taking that money to the bank. i'm sure there were shitty people at the gig, but what about all the actual passionate fans who were stiffed? too bad? easy to focus on the negative but whatever way you spin this, it was still a dick move.

as an aside- i've noticed a trend with NYC/radio city. it seems a lot of the indie bands (however you want to define that) who play at that venue tend to play on the shorter side. i get the feeling this is generational- that these bands don't have the energy or the repertoire to play longer sets. jack white certainly does, though.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Remember when encores weren't an always guaranteed thing?
    No.
    I can't think of one concert that I've gone to where an artist didn't come out for at least one encore.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I remember when encores were special and not done every night......

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Frozen Beach doesn't, he's 21.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    Frozen Beach doesn't, he's 21.
    But you know who does remember? Pepperidge Farm remembers....

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    No.
    I can't think of one concert that I've gone to where an artist didn't come out for at least one encore.
    If I remember correctly, NIN didn't do encores during the final Wave Goodbye shows and I thought that was amazing. I specifically remember them staying onstage the entire two and a half hours during the Chicago show I saw.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    key words: two and a half hours.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    If I remember correctly, NIN didn't do encores during the final Wave Goodbye shows.
    They did an encore for the Echoplex show but they didn't do one for the final Wiltern show.

So, I'll amend my previous statement:
    I can't think of one concert that I've gone to (other than the last NIN show at the Wiltern) where an artist didn't come out for at least one encore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I saw him in Lisbon a few weeks ago, it cost 30 Euros, was 2 hours, he played and encore, the crowd went nuts and it was one of the best concerts i've ever been to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Going to see Jack with The Kills (yes, that's right THE KILLS) supporting...
    Gonna get me some of that Dead Weather action I hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm genuinely struggling to think of a gig I've been to where the band didn't encore. I suppose that's because I'm only 20.

When I saw Jack White I absolutely loved his no phones rule. I wish every band did that. Maybe people would be more present and deserve their encore that way.
    Last edited by sukey; 10-05-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So question: if I were to sign up for The Vault now, would I still get the current White Stripes vault package, as well as the Jack White Solo vault package that his in like 25 days I think?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Going to see Jack with The Kills (yes, that's right THE KILLS) supporting...
    Gonna get me some of that Dead Weather action I hope.
    I am so, SO jealous of you, that is going to be a killer show. I hope Jack and Alison do something crazy on stage, it's been way too long since the Dead Weather were active. Shame that it doesn't look like they'll be reconvening anytime soon.

So question: if I were to sign up for The Vault now, would I still get the current White Stripes vault package, as well as the Jack White Solo vault package that his in like 25 days I think?
    No, the registration for package #13 (the Stripes' first show etc) ended three or four months ago and TMR is in the process of shipping it out now. If you sign up before 10/31 you'll be getting the new one, which'll probably start shipping around New Year's.