Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Incubus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Incubus

I've been a big fan of Incubus since Make Yourself came out, I was like 5 years old when I heard "Drive". They have really made some good albums this past decade and looking forward to more in the future. What do you think about Incubus?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Love Incubus.

Didn't like If Not Now, When? at first. But, I am impressed that they decided to make an entirely different record than what they are known for. I am hoping that the next record will be a little harder like Make Yourself but unlikely.

They played over 4 new songs on Letterman recently...

The rest are on their vevo page.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Is it just me or is this kicking a serious DFA1979 vibe in the chorus?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ It honestly sounds like lostprophets "A New Transmission". I deff hear DFA1979 too though. Man, what happened to Incubus .

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    New single.
    These guys really need to stop saying they're going back to their roots because it makes people think SCIENCE and Make Yourself. They did the same thing before ACLOTM.

This sounds like something in between ACLOTM and Light Granades. It's alright I guess.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Sounds very crow to me, but I can dig it. I think "Back to their roots" is more in line with Make Yourself days... we'll see soon since the album is coming out way earlier than I expected.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Song is fine. That's about the best you're gonna get from them now. Sad. Not winning. Baby. Low Energy. Not big league.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Jesus. Here i thought that Korn was late to jump onto the Skrilex bandwagon. Jose's drumming was often the redeeming factor of some of the less good Incubus songs so its extra dad that they replaced him with electronic too late to the part bro step percussion. Post Morningview releases often went against my taste but t least they always did their own thing. Theres not way i can sanction this garbage.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Jesus. Here i thought that Korn was late to jump onto the Skrilex bandwagon. Jose's drumming was often the redeeming factor of some of the less good Incubus songs so its extra dad that they replaced him with electronic too late to the part bro step percussion. Post Morningview releases often went against my taste but t least they always did their own thing. Theres not way i can sanction this garbage.
    I have to respectfully disagree here. I thought despite the fact that Sonny co-produced and mixed the entire album, you can still here the sonic rumbles from Jose's drums in there, along with the rest of the band. I wouldn't go as far as to say they aren't doing their own thing since that was one Incubus song in a LONG time that actually got me singing along and bobbing my head. The song to me is blended pretty dam good, and holds almost every style that the band has brought fourth. It has a A Crow Left Of The Murder feel, along with Nimble Bastard and I can totally deal with that.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-22-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I have to respectfully disagree here. I thought despite the fact that Sonny co-produced and mixed the entire album, you can still here the sonic rumbles from Jose's drums in their, along with the rest of the band. I wouldn't go as far as to say they aren't doing their own thing since that was one Incubus song in a LONG time that actually got me singing along and bobbing my head. The song to me is blended pretty dam good, and holds almost every style that the band has brought fourth. It has a A Crow Left Of The Murder feel, along with Nimble Bastard and I can totally deal with that.
    Ok I admit. i wrote that after having a few drinks. The song isn't bad. In fact I think the song is a cool mix of Crow and Light Granades. I has a bit of a Nirvana vibe. I don't like that the drum samples backing the kick and snare or how loud they are. They shoudlve turned the guitar up instead.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ok I admit. i wrote that after having a few drinks. The song isn't bad. In fact I think the song is a cool mix of Crow and Light Granades. I has a bit of a Nirvana vibe. I don't like that the drum samples backing the kick and snare or how loud they are. They shoudlve turned the guitar up instead.
    Hahaa, no worries. I realized I used "Their" instead of "There" and that just made me shake my head.

Glad you found some more redeeming qualities in the track. I do agree with the drums in here after a few more closer listens; the guitar seems to be drowned out like you said, and even in Nimble Bastard. Intrigued about how this album will sound a a whole.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    They put out a music video which is irrelevant. The interesting thing is that this version of the song is mixed much different than what they initially released. You get the idea of what these new songs sounded like they let Skrillex beat off all over them.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Didn't know Mikey was going to be in Hans Zimmer band (look at the photo at the top of the article, he's not mentioned in the article): https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...g-performance/

Pretty cool

According to Hans' FB, Mikey will join him during the European leg of the tour.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    So the new album is out, and it is way more enjoyable than If Not Now, When?. It sound a bit more focused, and seems like they wanted to go back to a more earthy sound on these harder hitting tracks which are very, very welcome here. Besides a silly filler track that made me laugh but is just so out of place (Seriously, throw that shit in at the end of the last track) it is a solid release from a seemingly fizzling band. Loneliest, Love In A Time Of Surveillance, Throw Out The Map, and Nimble Bastard all stand out to me here.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    So the new album is out, and it is way more enjoyable than If Not Now, When?. It sound a bit more focused, and seems like they wanted to go back to a more earthy sound on these harder hitting tracks which are very, very welcome here. Besides a silly filler track that made me laugh but is just so out of place (Seriously, throw that shit in at the end of the last track) it is a solid release from a seemingly fizzling band. Loneliest, Love In A Time Of Surveillance, Throw Out The Map, and Nimble Bastard all stand out to me here.
    There are a few good track on here. I can't get over how much of I hate Skrillex's involvement. Especially on the more rockier tracks. The guitars sounds scoooped and quiet and the kik/snare have been replaced or layered with samples and turned waaaaay up. At one point I thought that I accidentally turned the bass eq up on my phone BUT no that's the way the record sounds. Whatever he did tends to work better on the more laid back quieter tracks.

I would love to hear the original Dave Sardy mixes. Judging from the original Nimble Bastard mix they we going for a sound that was much more raw. It's nice to hear Kilmore in these songs as he tended to be turned down on a lot of their albums. I think that the album has some really good vocal performances. I always wished that Brandon would push his voice to the point of breaking more which happens a few times here.

On an unrelated note I don't know why Light Grenades isn't praised more. I think its way better than Crow, which for some reason is revered. LG is the most experimental things theyve done since the early days.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    There are a few good track on here. I can't get over how much of I hate Skrillex's involvement. Especially on the more rockier tracks. The guitars sounds scoooped and quiet and the kik/snare have been replaced or layered with samples and turned waaaaay up. At one point I thought that I accidentally turned the bass eq up on my phone BUT no that's the way the record sounds. Whatever he did tends to work better on the more laid back quieter tracks.

I would love to hear the original Dave Sardy mixes. Judging from the original Nimble Bastard mix they we going for a sound that was much more raw. It's nice to hear Kilmore in these songs as he tended to be turned down on a lot of their albums. I think that the album has some really good vocal performances. I always wished that Brandon would push his voice to the point of breaking more which happens a few times here.

On an unrelated note I don't know why Light Grenades isn't praised more. I think its way better than Crow, which for some reason is revered. LG is the most experimental things theyve done since the early days.
    i had no idea skrillex was involved with this. count me out. i was considering listening to it but god i fucking hate that asshole. seems harsh but i'm usually pretty kind so i get to be angry about a few things

as for "light grenades", it's boring as hell. it may be experimental but i think most of the experiments failed. mike did some of his most consistently amazing guitar work on "crow", the songwriting is unconventional while somehow sounding super inspired by the police, and it flows perfectly. light grenades is just...yeah, boring. i got through it once and was so disappointed.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

as for "light grenades", it's boring as hell. it may be experimental but i think most of the experiments failed. mike did some of his most consistently amazing guitar work on "crow", the songwriting is unconventional while somehow sounding super inspired by the police, and it flows perfectly. light grenades is just...yeah, boring. i got through it once and was so disappointed.
    oh yeah? I think songs like Rogues, Pendelous Threads, Paper Shoes, Look Alive, Punch Drunk are some of their best and most focused post Morning View.

The thing I could never stand about Crow was the muddy drums, the vocals sitting really loud in the mix and Brandon was really getting into doing that stupid falsetto.

Its hard liking this band... you listen to something like The Oddyssey they did for Halo and think they had the potential to be a band like The Doors meets Mars Volta... instead they peddle mostly pop songs.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I do like "Light Grenades", but now this band says nothing to me; i might check "8", just for curiosity...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

After more listens, I can say that the mixing could be better, but I wouldn't call it awful. The new mix of Nimble Bastard is a huge departure from the original. What I cannot understand is why they didn't go with the sound they went with for Glitterbomb and the last three tracks? It feels like I am listening to a completely different album for the last portion of songs. It bothers me to no end that they can make material like "The Odyssey" and not just freaking run with it. They have the talent, but it seems like they are just in autopilot at this point. I really wonder what transpired between the release of "Trust Fall: Side A" and their decision to make a full album. That EP was fantastic, the band sounded cohesive and driven, and a sound I wanted to hear more of.

As for Light Grenades. I am on the complete reverse with your opinion. I feel like Crow was the most experimental they have gotten since the early days, and Light Grenades was bringing back the poppy stuff. But to be honest, Grenades holds pretty much all of their sounds from the past in one album. When was the last time you heard Brandon scream like he does in the title track? (Which is one of my favorite songs from them ever along with Look Alive). Light Grenades starts to lose me after Earth To Bella Pt.1. Crow is an album I can play from beginning to end and be engaged the entire time. I just realized that I may like their unreleased/b-sides a bit more than a lot of their main releases.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Im 3 beers in (adult size) and I have to rant about this a little further. Listening to the breakdown of No Fun and fully recognizing that cheap ableton Flanger applied to the entire mix makes me sick. I was a Skrillex fan until this. He had his place.... ughh... Incubus got with a "cool" "indie" producer and fucked it all up by bringing that kid in. I am at least interested in hearing what the live version of some of these song sound like

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    hopefully it'll be better than the last one :/

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    They need to break out and go true to their roots to be honest. It will most likely never happen, but I strive for a Science/Crow mixing sound. Just rock the fuck out already.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    They need to break out and go true to their roots to be honest. It will most likely never happen, but I strive for a Science/Crow mixing sound. Just rock the fuck out already.
    <3 <3 <3

that is exactly the album i want from them.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    These guys bum me out. Come on...pull it together fellas!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    As long as they keep Skrillex away from this next one it'll be fine. Not that I didn't enjoy 8 or anything, but it's been done now, they don't need him all over this record too.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Didn't the say they were going back to their roots on 8? hahah
    I wonder what Brandon will sound like. A lot of footage from this last tour had him sounding like he was constantly loosing his voice.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Didn't the say they were going back to their roots on 8? hahah
    I wonder what Brandon will sound like. A lot of footage from this last tour had him sounding like he was constantly loosing his voice.
    Yes he did. Don't get me wrong, there actually were some glimpses on 8 as far as some more earthy tones, but it felt like they wanted to go in a completely different direction at first. 8's track listing is also a mess; it doesn't flow at all.

I really thought we were going to get more of a sound like we did on the Trust Fall EP, and they scrapped the rest of that idea all together. The track Light Grenades and Look Alive is the sound I kind of want and have wanted...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    20th anniversary tour for Make Yourself this fall...