Page 170 of 215 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 168 169 170 171 172 180 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,100 of 6439

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    in need of front/back scans of download cards that were inserted into all the DE Editions, NTAE and Add Violence. looking to update nincatalog.com with all the new releases. you can block out the code if you haven't used it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do the remastered vinyls come with download cards and if so are they the remastered versions found on the vinyl themselves?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboHunter View Post
    Do the remastered vinyls come with download cards and if so are they the remastered versions found on the vinyl themselves?
    Yes and yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yes and yes.
    Cheers bud

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    If you still need the download cards, I can get photos of mine tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hello.
    Does anyone remember a "Head Like A Hole" version that is primarily drums and bass? It sounds similar to the original pigface version of Suck (and I had it on a Texas Pete bootleg contained both).

If anyone can help, it's driving me nuts

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Legerdemain View Post
    Hello.
    Does anyone remember a "Head Like A Hole" version that is primarily drums and bass? It sounds similar to the original pigface version of Suck (and I had it on a Texas Pete bootleg contained both).

If anyone can help, it's driving me nuts
    Sounds like the Opal mix, from the UK single.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Sounds like the Opal mix, from the UK single.
    Sure was, thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    is there anywhere to get the full digital lossless version of the Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D vinyl?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    My AATCHB DVD says 4:3 aspect ratio on the back but it plays back 16:9. Is it stretching or is 4:3 a printing mistake?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    My AATCHB DVD says 4:3 aspect ratio on the back but it plays back 16:9. Is it stretching or is 4:3 a printing mistake?
    720x480 @ 4:3 aspect ratio.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thanks. I must have set up my tv to force 16:9. Something to watch out for!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I just read that Jimmy Iovine is going to be leaving Apple in August. Anyone know if Trent is still working for them? I remember the Songexploder thing came out on Spotify first which made me wonder if he was still there

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I tracked down copies of NTAE and AV on CD for my collection at local music stores back when they were released, but never opened them. I originally had purchased the WAVs when I bought the physical elements, so I got used to the way those sounded.

Anyways, I recently got 2nd copies of each from Amazon so I could check out the booklets, i have ripped the CDs, and they sound way different than the WAVs im used to listening to.

Were the eps remixed or mastered differently for the CD releases? Or is it the format or even my hardware possibly?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So who did the remix for Beginning of the End for the new Blade Runner tv show?
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/11/...ource=Facebook

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I tracked down copies of NTAE and AV on CD for my collection at local music stores back when they were released, but never opened them. I originally had purchased the WAVs when I bought the physical elements, so I got used to the way those sounded.

Anyways, I recently got 2nd copies of each from Amazon so I could check out the booklets, i have ripped the CDs, and they sound way different than the WAVs im used to listening to.

Were the eps remixed or mastered differently for the CD releases? Or is it the format or even my hardware possibly?
    Probably your hardware. The mastering is identical, the WAV files are just a different sample rate than the CD audio.

EDIT: Oh, except that the CD cuts off the end of "The Background World" a fraction of a second earlier.

Also, the finale of "She's Gone Away" gets a little bit louder right at the very end of the CD version, compared to the download. This additional crescendo also happens on the vinyl, as well as the Twin Peaks soundtrack CD version — where it gets even louder — but that version also features slightly different mastering of the entire track. Gotta catch 'em all!
    Last edited by botley; 01-12-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    So who did the remix for Beginning of the End for the new Blade Runner tv show?
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/11/...ource=Facebook
    Nonima

The Beginning Of The End (Nonimx) [Bandcamp link]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Does anyone remember the lineage of this image?

Someone dug it up on reddit and last.fm is the only site that uses it as the cover for the song. I feel like I've seen it on nin.com a long time ago, but can't remember exactly how it was used, if it ever was. Anyone remember the context?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p_rez17 View Post
    Does anyone remember the lineage of this image?

Someone dug it up on reddit and last.fm is the only site that uses it as the cover for the song. I feel like I've seen it on nin.com a long time ago, but can't remember exactly how it was used, if it ever was. Anyone remember the context?
    Yes, this is (at least derived from) official promo artwork — the topmost blob seems to be an incredibly blurry still from the music video — and the image was first used online circa 2001 somewhere on the pre-AATCHB NIN.com! This site was sporadically updated for a long time, as there really was nothing new to talk about for well over a year while TR was staying under the radar. It also came along with a whole set of mini-documentaries, containing clips of behind-the-scenes footage from the "Deep" parking garage video shoot, too, and the director's treatment (embedded, if I recall correctly, in a Flash applet Rob Sheridan put together as a mini-site).

Nobody saved any of those other pieces, I don't think; I've never seen them listed in the major archive projects... no idea why this one started popping up via scrobbling, could be user-submitted from someone who did save a screenshot, maybe. Or perhaps, I dunno, NIN is preparing to officially re-issue it in the Definitive series somewhere? A bonus on the re-release of Still, maybe (although that seems a bit incongruous, it's at least era-appropriate).
    Last edited by botley; 01-17-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Yes, this is (at least derived from) official promo artwork — the topmost blob seems to be an incredibly blurry still from the music video — and the image was first used online circa 2001 somewhere on the pre-AATCHB NIN.com (this was sporadically updated for a long time, as there really was nothing new to talk about for well over a year while TR was getting sober and staying under the radar). It also came along with a whole set of mini-documentaries containing clips of behind-the-scenes footage from the parking garage video scenes, too, and the director's treatment also embedded, if I recall correctly, in a Flash applet Rob Sheridan put together as a mini-site.

Nobody saved any of those other pieces, I don't think, I've never seen them listed in the major archive projects....
    I have it in the nin.com section of http://nindestruct.com. The only way I've gotten it to be completely functional is opening in Internet Explorer though.. The other browsers just try to download it.

Also in the misc. section I have a Deep Flash promo video. That might be of interest.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    I have it in the nin.com section of http://nindestruct.com. The only way I've gotten it to be completely functional is opening in Internet Explorer though.. The other browsers just try to download it.

Also in the misc. section I have a Deep Flash promo video. That might be of interest.
    Thanks! Not running IE anymore but I'll try and check it out with Edge.
    Thanks. I must have set up my tv to force 16:9. Something to watch out for!
    Oh jeez, as if there were a way it could somehow look even worse on HD displays! Even an HD format up-resolution conversion from the master video file probably would look better than the DVD does; the MPEG encoding on that puppy has visible blocking compression freakouts just from trying to handle those strobe effects. Possibly something to look into if they ever reissue it on streaming services or Blu-ray (though that's probably unlikely).
    Last edited by botley; 01-17-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Randomly looking at this thread reminds me I need to buy Add Violence and Not The Actual Events vinyl copies off the store.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Randomly looking at this thread reminds me I need to buy Add Violence and Not The Actual Events vinyl copies off the store.
    you sure do! they sound great! are they still doing AV slipmats?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    you sure do! they sound great! are they still doing AV slipmats?
    Someone recently posted it in the Vinyl thread and they had it in the photo so I would assume so.

They do still have it.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 01-17-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I didn't need the slipmat, so I just bought them in a record store. And yes, they do sound great!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Oh jeez, as if there were a way it could somehow look even worse on HD displays! Even an HD format up-resolution conversion from the master video file probably would look better than the DVD does; the MPEG encoding on that puppy has visible blocking compression freakouts just from trying to handle those strobe effects. Possibly something to look into if they ever reissue it on streaming services or Blu-ray (though that's probably unlikely).
    dumb question that I could probably answer myself with a little more research, but. why does it stretch to two DVDs? how come BYIT appears to look better, have a longer playlist and fit on one?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    dumb question that I could probably answer myself with a little more research, but. why does it stretch to two DVDs? how come BYIT appears to look better, have a longer playlist and fit on one?
    Simplest, shortest answer: improved video compression technology.

They filmed, edited, and even authored the And All That Could Have Been DVDs entirely by themselves on 2000-2001 'prosumer' level gear. Beside You in Time was an all-professional HD production workflow, including a dedicated encoding engineer, after several generations of improvements to the tools of that trade.
    Last edited by botley; 01-19-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Simplest, shortest answer: improved video compression technology.

They filmed, edited, and even authored the And All That Could Have Been DVDs entirely by themselves on 2000-2001 'prosumer' level gear. Beside You in Time was an all-professional HD production workflow, including a dedicated encoding engineer, after several generations of improvements to the tools of that trade.
    also, are the AATCHB DVDs even dual-layer? or are they single layer?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also, are the AATCHB DVDs even dual-layer? or are they single layer?
    They are all DVD9's (single-sided / dual layer).

DTS:
    Disc 1 = 5.71 GB
    Disc 2 = 5.96 GB

DOLBY:
    Disc 1 = 4.93 GB
    Disc 2 = 5.87 GB

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    I analyzed it a bit here:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...644#post370644

But, @botley 's probably right about the encoder. They were probably maxing out the bitrate because they were trying to get the best visual quality out of the encoder because of all the strobing. But they were probably using the built-in encoder in DVD Studio Pro, which isn't the greatest.