Thread: Prometheus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    That's so Joss Whedon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Dorbell View Post
    I'm annoyed by this. This just seems random, not thought out. Oil reserves are somehow enormous in the future, at the same time Norway, with its currently huge supply of oil, and very low unemployment rates, has high unemployment rates? Sweden has medium unemployment rates... why? I feel insulted by Prometheus's marketing. Damnit all to hell!
    The obvious answer is that oil is no longer a primary fuel source in the future and that diminished consumption ruined the value of oil/gas reserves in those countries.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Holy shit, somebody figured out the entire plot of Prometheus just by going through its trailer. (Obvious spoilers... if this is all true, of course).

(I hyperlinked to my text above, but I have no idea why the color of the text hasn't changed, so just click the text above to see it).
    Last edited by Morad; 03-25-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I just picked up the anthology on blu ray. Pumped for this.

A question. Mom is a huge alien fan. Since I have the anthology, is it safe to let the quadrilogy go? I think she would appreciate it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Oh yes. The Blu-ray set spares nothing that was in the previous box set, I believe.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Not sure if this theory contains any spoiler material. Most of it is my own speculation.

I remember reading last year about a giant head that pilots a ship. After watching the trailer and seeing the giant head, it makes me wonder if there's a race of alien beings that have giant heads, and the one seen in the trailer is merely a replica built by the space jockey race. This giant head replica, which is perhaps in the pyramid/hive, could be used to condition the alien offspring into seeing the giant head as a threat or enemy, perhaps if there's some mechanical feature to the head that agitates the offspring. The beings of the space jockey species condition the young xenomorphic lifeforms they are harvesting to target their enemy (giant-head race of beings) and the best infection/infiltration point is in the head/face. In Alien, it seemed like instinct when the offspring were drawn to the human faces, because the shape is so similar to the giant-head species. The giant-head folks might fly the saucer crafts, which could be the same type of crafts that have visited Earth many times throughout its history. Perhaps the giant-headed Moai statues on Easter Island were built by the Rapa Nui as a tribute to the gods from the sky. The giant-heads might be guardians of the humans, and perhaps related to human beings, seeing as how the giant-head statue bears a strong resemblance to a human head. The giant-heads might have many planets that they have planted their DNA upon, and the space jockeys might be doing the same throughout the galaxy. We see a jockey's ship crash, and I'm more inclined to think one of the saucers took it down, as opposed to the Prometheus, which is an expedition ship. It's certainly possible the Prometheus takes it down with its own weaponry, but I'd prefer to think the humans are caught in the middle of an ongoing war of a much grander scale.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I've been actively avoiding all the hypothetical plot outlines/trailer analyses ever since they started becoming very particular (even so I'm afraid that too much got through already). I don't understand why people try so hard to spoil their own experience. Because that's how I see this: In a movie where NOT knowing what is going to happen is at least half the suspense, why do people try so much to guess it all beforehand? Especially when there are few things that can surprise us anymore in the cinema and in a mythology already presented to us more or less. Imagine if there was such an extensive analysis for Alien before it came out, would it have such an impact on audiences? At least Alien had the benefit of a relatively "innocent" type of audience in terms of sci-fi thriller. Prometheus doesn't even have that! The trailers alone have shown me more than I would like (not that I didn't enjoy them immensly).

This is not a rant by the way, although it sounds like one. I'm just genuinely curious about all those undoubtedly enthusiastic Alien fans who expect to rediscover this terrifying Alien element in Prometheus, while at the same time doing everything they can to rob themselves of the experience.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 03-26-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Hear hear!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You may find, Having seen Alien, will rob you of that of that original terrifying experience.
    The online games are not going to blow important plot twists. The Lost game never divulged any plot details.

Otherwise I respect your point.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post
    You may find, Having seen Alien, will rob you of that of that original terrifying experience.
    The online games are not going to blow important plot twists. The Lost game never divulged any plot details.

Otherwise I respect your point.
    It's amazing that we've seen so much but know so very little about this movie.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    ^ this!

I bought Empire magazine the day and it's ridiciulous how much info they are giving away, but the whole thing still remains somewhat a mystery. I can't wait for the release to come!
    I also pre-ordered the art book a while ago. I hope it's as great as the ones for Alien and Species and shows some new Giger material although the mentioned article states that while he was involved in Prometheus he did not do the most design work for the film.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post
    Well, yes, that's what I'm saying. We already have an idea what to expect, so all this guesswork and analysis of the exact possible plot is not going to help the situation. I'm not talking about the Weyland website, I'm talking about the fans trying to piece the story together by using all the information available from trailers, set photos and leaked information.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    ^ Not happening.

UPDATE: Insiders tell me that James Cameron was making a slightly humorous off handed comment about making a Prometheus sequel and they’d be surprised if it amounted to anything, considering how busy the director will be preoccupied with Avatar sequels.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I was going to ask for a link, but realized it was from mine. I need to read more slowly.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The planet Prometheus lands on is not going to be LV 426 it's going to be LV 233 preview sounded positive.

New production stills featuring the ships's 3D map of the temple, a new shot of the Prometheus and finally what looks to be a cocooned giant and somebody in egg morphing pose to his right.

and for me, the coolest part - a picture of the ship with some main specs. Oh god, it is the sexiest ship I've seen since R-Type's ships.
    Last edited by owinn; 04-12-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I've fallen in love with this movie before I've even seen it. The awful part of that is my infatuation with all of the teasing foreplay seems to be slowly chipping away at the lovely surprises awaiting me in the final act. I don't think I'm alone there.

PS: yes I haven't gotten any in a long time

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by owinn View Post
    Oh god, it is the sexiest ship I've seen since R-Type's ships.
    I have to agree, it's pretty sick!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    The last 12 minutes??? Sheesh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's also been confirmed (in the April issue of FilmInk Magazine who did a set visit) that the big head Spoiler: is a statue of the spacejockey face.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    There's a Verizon sponsored Prometheus mini game that allows you to tour the ship. Warning though, there is apparently a pretty significant spoiler within, I've been told it's nothing to do with the creatures on the movie or anything like that but has more to do with Guy Pearce's character.There are screenshots of the interior of the ship here including one of Vicker's "luxury" quarters...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
    It's also been confirmed (in the April issue of FilmInk Magazine who did a set visit) that the big head Spoiler: is a statue of the spacejockey face.
    There was another spoiler I read about 'the head' in one of the previews I read recently... not enough to really ruin the movie but enough that now I know to avoid any more Prometheus news until release from now on. See you in June!
    Last edited by owinn; 04-13-2012 at 06:35 AM.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I can't get over how awesome that ship looks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Okay, fuck it. This is too cool not to post.

Don't make David cry :'(

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^

Sweet Lord, Fassbender is good. And I still find David a bit creepy. I'm not sure why though; maybe it's the fact that he's an android in a Ridley Scott Alien related movie...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    After being rather "meh" about the recent 3D resurgence, I'm utterly convinced now that this the only way I should watch it in theaters.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    ^^

Sweet Lord, Fassbender is good. And I still find David a bit creepy. I'm not sure why though; maybe it's the fact that he's an android in a Ridley Scott Alien related movie...
    David 8 has a wide range of emotions. Joy is a particularly odd/creepy/special smile :]

Heh, I nearly forgot that Ridley Scott used to be an ad man.
    Last edited by owinn; 04-17-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    It's a great video. I find the contrast between David saying he can perform tasks that humans find "distressing or unethical" and him (it?) saying that "unnecessary violence" makes him sad very interesting. Also, I get the impression that they have made Fassbender's face a little more angular and symmetrical, and that his jawline is very accentuated. If that is the case, they've done a very good job of giving him a very slight artificial air. And Fassbender himself of course is right on the money.