Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 2014.08.11 - Tampa, FL @ MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2014.08.11 - Tampa, FL @ MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre

Tampa, FL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Pretty good show overall. My first time seeing The Great Destroyer which was awesome, and the first time I've seen Eraser since '05.

I was a little pissed for the first few songs as they had the drums turned up WAY loud and you could barely hear Trent. Which sucks because I was so excited they opened with Somewhat Damaged.

No huge surprises in the setlist, as expected. While I would never regret seeing NIN Live, it did feel a little bit like a Tension Lite and it didn't really feel that unique as TR says was his intention with each leg. Musically it was great, which in the end is why I go.

Soundgarden wasn't bad, I've always wanted to see them but not enough to just to see Soundarden. Cornell's vocals aren't what they were which is to be expected given his style. I'm really glad NIN closed though, there's no way Soundgarden could follow NIN based on what I saw.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Soundgarden's mixing was so insanely overly loud tonight, my friend had to put in earplugs (he had zero issues with DEP or NIN at all, either). I would've probably enjoyed them more than the night before now that I've become familiar with them, but instead it felt like everything was straining to just cause as much noise as possible.

As for NIN, well, holy shit; made the WPB date look tame. The setlist was incredible, this was my first time ever seeing Burn and it was all I'd hoped and more. I can't applaud this show enough, I just wish I could see more dates on this tour. This show just pretty much solidified the fact that I am going to see NIN Live any shot I get.

Oh, TGD was way longer tonight than it was in WPB, too. It seemed to go on for almost twice the length. The crowd was vastly better too, tons of enthusiasm and lots of fans who knew what they were seeing (maybe it was my seats, but in WPB it was way less intense, and the crowd seemed more on the older side and wasn't getting too noisy or physical).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://instagram.com/p/rlTY11CfiF/
    me and my man went to the show and it was a drum heavy crushing performance. Having seen 2005 2008 and HTDA shows, this was a really nice iteration of the band.

hell even SG impressed me and I think theyre grunge dinosaurs.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Had a great time at this show. Did not care for The Dillinger Escape Plan, and Soundgarden put on a very good show. But I was there for NIN and they didn't disappoint. It was essentially a stripped down version of the fall arena tour, but I thought it was awesome. I loved how Trent just walked out and started singing the opening lines for Somewhat Damaged, the rest of the band slowly making their way out as the song grew more and more intense. It was great to hear Closer again. I was under the assumption the song had been retired but it was a nice surprise to see it back on the setlist. Surprise of the night, and one of the highlights, was The Great Destroyer. I've only ever heard Survivalism and In This Twilight so hearing a different Year Zero track was a nice addition.

Very few gripes: The drums were way too loud for the first few songs. I couldn't hear anything else when they played 1,000,000 and it muddled the first four or five songs they performed. Especially March of the Pigs. It was very frustrating because I couldn't hear any of the other band members. Crowd wise, I was around some great people who wanted to dance and have fun and enjoy the music. While the cheering during Hurt will always be incredibly annoying, it wasn't as bad as it had been at previous shows. And to The Dillinger Escape Plan fan behind me who bitched about how they were only on for twenty-five minutes, constantly complaining until you finally decided to leave halfway through Soundgarden's set, you can go fuck yourself. They were an opening band on a bill with two major rock bands. What the fuck did you expect? Keep your opinions to yourself and stop trying to talk over the music.

I know we were told this would be NIN's last tour for a very long time, but I really hope they re-consider. I would kill for another arena tour, or a club tour, something where it's all about Nine Inch Nails and they can go out in a blaze of glory that lasts for more than eighty minutes. However, if this is the last time I see them for years, it was an excellent conclusion to the 'Hesitation Marks' era.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    Very few gripes: The drums were way too loud for the first few songs. I couldn't hear anything else when they played 1,000,000 and it muddled the first four or five songs they performed. Especially March of the Pigs. It was very frustrating because I couldn't hear any of the other band members.
    Yes! Although I'm kind of over hearing it live, I was glad when Piggy kicked in so they finally realized, oh shit, you can't hear the fucking guy singing. That and everything overall was WAY quiet compared to Dillinger and Soundgarden up to that point. After that it was good.

My biggest complaint is they didn't play Copy of A, which I thought they'd go right into after Great Destroyer, and The Day The World Went Away. But it was still a great show.

I also scored a bootleg NIN/SG shirt for ten bucks after the show. Why they didn't make an official shirt with both bands is still baffling, and a huge missed opportunity in my opinion. For a bootleg it looks pretty good. Plus I got my obligatory date-back shirt at the booth. I tried to get the dude to get me an autographed poster, but he wouldn't pull one. Oh well.
    Last edited by MrSlfDstruct; 08-12-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Yes! Although I'm kind of over hearing it live, I was glad when Piggy kicked in so they finally realized, oh shit, you can't hear the fucking guy singing. That and everything overall was WAY quiet compared to Dillinger and Soundgarden up to that point. After that it was good.

My biggest complaint is they didn't play Copy of A, which I thought they'd go right into after Great Destroyer, and The Day The World Went Away. But it was still a great show.

I also scored a bootleg NIN/SG shirt for ten bucks after the show. Why they didn't make an official shirt with both bands is still baffling, and a huge missed opportunity in my opinion. For a bootleg it looks pretty good. Plus I got my obligatory date-back shirt at the booth. I tried to get the dude to get me an autographed poster, but he wouldn't pull one. Oh well.
    There were some people who were walking around with the NIN/Soundgarden shirt that had the same image (compartments with animal bones, feathers, etc.) that they've been using ever since the tour was announced. They were bootlegs but they looked great and I did see several people selling them for fifteen bucks outside the venue after the show ended. If they'd been selling that shirt at the merch stand I definitely would have picked one up. Unfortunately, the biggest disappointment of this last year of touring has most certainly been the merchandise. None of the shirts available looked good and definitely weren't worth the price they were asking. I don't wear beanies and have no use for buttons or key chains so that was out of the question, and what the fuck happened to the poster prices? Last fall both NIN posters were twenty-five bucks and now all of a sudden both the NIN and Soundgarden posters were forty a piece? And the slug poster was forty-five? I'm not strapped for cash or anything like that, but nothing compelled me to part with my money, and normally I'm the guy who'll get really excited about being at a concert and exhaust my budget immediately on a few shirts and posters. Don't know why they were selling a Downward Spiral shirt or the Ghost vinyl and CD either. Seemed like a cop out, like they weren't too focused on having all of the merch being about the latest album.

May I ask anyone else who went to this show what they thought of Dillinger Escape Plan? I've checked out a few more of their songs on Youtube and I like what I've heard, but live they just didn't do it for me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Because of the rain we missed the 1st band. We made it in just time time for Soundgarden and I have to say, it felt like their show until TR nonchalantly walked out onto the stage with the houselights still up. Awesome entrance, great heavy rockin' set list from the beginning until Hurt. I have been to a lot of shows and this ranks right up there near the top. Trent brought his A game because Tampa is a hard rock town and he nailed it. No pun intended. Did anyone catch what he said to the crowd. I know he said thank you but I didn't get the rest. He was quite chatty, not like usual

Only one issue and not concert related but ticket related. My friend signed into MY NIN.com account and bought the tickets with her credit card so her name was on the tickets and she almost was not able to go. That is a HUGE issue. All the confirmation and pre show emails went to me because the account is MINE not hers. Luckily, she did go.

And to anyone who is disappointed in the "greatest hits" too bad. When the red lights came on I knew exactly what was going to happen and had it not it just wouldn't have been a NIN show. So, get over it.

I think Tampa got the best set list of the tour so far and I am thrilled I was there to see it and bummed it will be a while until I see it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tampa was my 5th NIN show. 2 on Pretty Hate Machine (in clubs in Ybor), 2005 With Teeth (Tampa floor ticket), and 2008 LITS (Orlando on the floor). This show was the first time seeing NIN from a seat (although standing there). It's a shame there was not a pit. I've been to hundreds and hundreds of shows in my life and am at the point where if I'm not right in the front or on the floor, I generally won't go. I had a great time at the Tampa show, but it just isn't the same if you can't be right in front. I made an exception for this show, partly because Soundgarden was on the bill too. Very happy with the set list, as soon as I heard Somewhat Damaged I knew where it was going. Always happy to hear Burn, one of my favorites. I thought the sound from my seat, Section 4, wasn't as clear as it could be, and the volume could definitely have been louder. As a matter of principle, I won't go to shows in Ampitheaters, the whole experience generally sucks. The only band I've ever seen that absolutely owns an ampitheater is Iron Maiden, they are Gods. But then, most shows I go to are in clubs for punk/heavy bands with me standing near the PA. The visuals were good, but I wouldn't say better than LITS or With Teeth era. The show ended by 10:45, with the 11PM curfew I would think they could have played another song or 2. Only and/or The Day The World Went Away could have fit right in. For $120 a ticket max it out. I was surprised at the size of the crowd, the venue looked full. Not bad for a Monday. Having Soundgarden on the bill definitely helped move tickets, it had been 17 years since they had played Tampa. Strange considering it is a Top 20 market in the country. I thought Soundgarden was strong, would love to see them again as a headliner in a smaller venue. Dillinger Escape Plan was brutal, they had no help from the soundboard, the venue was half empty, and I generally don't go for the scream / black metal sound.

Overall, despite a few complaints, a great night and would gladly do it again. I don't know if NIN will ever tour again after this, I thought the 08 show I went to was the end of line. If Trent fires up the tour engine again in the future, I will be there, this time down in front.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    I think Tampa got the best set list of the tour so far and I am thrilled I was there to see it and bummed it will be a while until I see it again.
    IMO, Camden, NJ had the best set list thus far: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-i...-63c14e93.html
    We were originally only going to go to Jones Beach and Holmdel, but I convinced the crew to do Camden also.
    Lucky us.

As far as Tampa goes, I was hoping T would throw Reptile or Me, I'm Not in there because he had plenty of time before 11:00 pm. Apparently, Only was on the set list and not played.
    BTW, T talked about how he didn't know if he would ever play Tampa again. We will see what happens four to five years from now.

Of the four gigs I saw on this tour, Tampa had great energy from the fans. I had a good seat in both Tampa and in Holmdel, but I have to say that I am also not accustom to sitting in a seat to see NIN. Of the four seats I had on this tour, my adjacent neighbors varied from completely not interested in listening because they kept talking to each other to mega fans that sang along to every song. Anyone who goes to a NIN concert to chat with the person they came with about absolutely nothing needs to go out in the foyer to chat so the rest of us can hear and enjoy the show. That includes drunk babble during quiet songs.

Yeah, the recent t-shirt merch has been a bit lacking after 2009's NIN|JA and Wave Goodbye tours. I do not like those stick figure shirts at all that are for sale on this tour.
    The posters have had a few hits and some misses on both the NIN and SG sides. I got lucky and received #301 of the glow in the dark reflection poster.

Tampa was my 14th NIN gig.
    Visually, LitS was my favorite. I was too close to the stage for Tension to take in all the visuals in Orlando and it was stripped down lighting production for Vegas.
    Sound-wise, nothing will ever beat The Wiltern and Fonda Wave Goodbye shows for me.
    Emotion-wise, Tension Las Vegas: T playing In This Twilight for Andrew Youssef via Facetime. Not a dry eye in the house.
    Expense-wise: 2005 Las Vegas Club Show tickets were astronomically expensive.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mooney138 View Post

BTW, T talked about how he didn't know if he would ever play Tampa again. We will see what happens four to five years from now.
    Is that what he said on stage and why not Tampa? And this was my 14th show as well and we can agree to disagree on the set list, I love the harder stuff. The Day the Whole World Went Away would have been cool but I have zero complaints about the set list on that particular night and that crowd.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    What was the set list??

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ConvincedOfTheHex View Post
    and I generally don't go for the scream / black metal sound.
    well then you lucked out my friend, as black metal is pretty damn unlike their sound.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    What was the set list??
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-i...-63ceea7f.html

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I loved Dillinger, although the crowd sucked for them at points. The crowd was far better for them in West Palm. The people around me were great, but my friend and I both heard some boos during DEP, which, even if you don't like them, is just awful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought DEP put on a real good show, they had a high level of energy and enthusiasm for the small lackluster crowd. I actually wouldn't have gone out of my way to listen to them until now. Then again I never really heard much of their work. I did however know that Mike Patton (Mr. Bungle being one of my favorite bands) had lent some vocals on one of their previous albums or something. And I saw Trent Reznor on stage with them before on some tour vids from a few years ago. But yeah I think they put on a good performance, but I will agree that their sound mixing was off. I didn't hear any boos, but that's messed up if people were booing. Very disrespectful to the band and to Trent, since he likes them obviously.

It was cool to see Soundgarden in concert. I've always been a casual fan of theirs, never owned or downloaded any of their albums though. I thought their background display was somewhat reminiscent of the Windows Media Player visualizations, lol. They were probably limited since the stage was more dedicated to NIN's setup I'm sure. I was glad they played more of their older stuff. But I must admit seeing how much older they are now made me in turn feel old too, lol. I was like damn, what happened? Time I guess.

NIN put on an awesome show though! My only gripe is that they could have played more rare stuff instead of "the greatest hits". But I was very happy to see them start out with Somewhat Damaged! I last saw them in Orlando for the Halloween show, which was a fucking awesome setlist. Okay I lied, I have another gripe... Who the fuck was the ass clown that kept screaming "Who dem Saints gonna beat, dem Saints" and why was he sitting most of the time? I swear, when he came in I thought he was the lead singer from Slam Bamboo, coming back to haunt Trent! LMFAO! Dude made a total ass of himself, he ended up scampering away and left his gf (I'm assuming) behind. If you were in the first few rows of Orchestra 2 you probably know what I'm talking about. But yeah, it was a great show all together. Hope it's not the last! It was sad to see it end. Florida already misses you Trent! Thanks for the great shows!

Oh and I'll have some pics and vids to post soon.

(Yeah, this was the dude who showed up screaming shit about the Saints.)
    Last edited by The Master; 08-14-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Did anyone see the guy getting arrested during DEP's set? Maybe three songs in, this guy started fighting security and was carried out, in the section right in front of me. I was actually too into Dillinger and caught the tail end of the whole thing, it was the first time I've seen that happen at a show.

Is there any recording of this date? Anyone planning on putting something up on RITC?