Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013.08.29 - Zurich, CH @ Zurich Open Air

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2013.08.29 - Zurich, CH @ Zurich Open Air

http://zurichopenair.ch/

Date is now set.

Deftones are playing the same night as an added bonus.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'll be there. Never seen NIN live in my life. I've waited 4 years after missing St. Gallen Openair and Milan performances in 2009. I can't wait

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I really wanna go to Zurich to see NIN (and Deftones, wow).
    All I have to do is to convince my girlfriend that is totally normal to spend a lot of money to see NIN in an expensive country.
    I think I'll be there...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laci View Post
    I really wanna go to Zurich to see NIN (and Deftones, wow).
    All I have to do is to convince my girlfriend that is totally normal to spend a lot of money to see NIN in an expensive country.
    I think I'll be there...
    Good luck with that
    In case you're coming by car, don't forget you'll have to pay about 35 euro for a (yearly) motorway tax. And yes, Switzerland is expensive :/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dariocotti View Post
    Good luck with that
    In case you're coming by car, don't forget you'll have to pay about 35 euro for a (yearly) motorway tax. And yes, Switzerland is expensive :/
    Thanks!
    No, I'd go there by train for sure. That's the most budget friendly and comfortable way to travel for me.
    God, cannot wait to see this beautiful country (I've never been there) and see NIN again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks!
    No, I'd go there by train for sure. That's the most budget friendly and comfortable way to travel for me.
    God, cannot wait to see this beautiful country (I've never been there) and see NIN again!
    Are you sure that a plane is not cheaper? At least from Vienna I think it's quite the same price.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I agree. Train tickets are quite expensive too. A one way ticket across Switzerland might costs you as much as the day ticket for the NIN show. So be sure to check the flights to Zurich airport first.

From what I understood, the festival ticket give you access to zones 100, 121 by public transport. So bus tickets from and to the airport or train station should be included.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That reminds me of my first time at Zurich Festival where some guy on drugs slept naked in my sleeping bag, spit on everything in my tent and claimed it was his. After I called the security he put on one of my underpants and went away. I then slept in a garbage bag in another tent.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^
    Ouch. That's a tough story.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^
    Ouch. That's a tough story.
    Yep, but now I think it's quite funny.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Why is it not confirmed on the NIN homepage?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    no idea but I believe it's official since they've already started the campaign on some Swiss newspapers https://vine.co/v/bEBnZOE5XbU

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    if "die ärzte" shows up at the line up next weeks, NIN will cancel their appearance!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    if "die ärzte" shows up at the line up next weeks, NIN will cancel their appearance!
    please tell me that you are joking and that there is no actual rumor that they will play zurich open air

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    yes, yes and I don't know

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Someone asked the same question on the official facebook page and they answered confirming that NIN will be playing in Zurich on August 29th ; )

here's the full answer in German (well, Swiss German I believe):

Q: Gits en Grund das NIN jede Gig uf de eigne Website bestätiget, nur de be eu ned? Spieled btw. am gliche Wuchenend no in Amerika.
    A: Das haben sie wohl noch vergessen einzutragen. Keine Sorge, am 29.8. stehen sie bei uns auf der Bühne!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    If you're really concerned, just send Rob a Tweet and point out that it's missing from the lineup on tour.nin.com, and I'm sure he'll add it. Unless they've already blown up the site...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    If you're really concerned, just send Rob a Tweet and point out that it's missing from the lineup on tour.nin.com, and I'm sure he'll add it. Unless they've already blown up the site...
    actually I've tried to get in touch with Rob three times to point out that the gig in Zurich was missing and the link for the Milan show is wrong as it's displaying "no tickets available".
    No answer, though.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Yeah, very strange. That Irish festival shows up and right after that it's on tour.nin.com.
    But, still no Zurich festival on that page.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Gig now listed on tour.nin.com!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Finally! Now I consider going. Or Milan. What do you think is better?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Finally! Now I consider going. Or Milan. What do you think is better?
    I would say Milan it's better as it's a venue with only Tomahawk and NIN playing, whereas the Zurich Openair is a festival with a lot of people, other bands playing on different stages, mud, uncertain weather (hopefully it won't rain).
    I'm personally hoping that the Milan' setlist will be slightly longer than the Zurich one, but since we don't know anything about this tour yet I will stop the speculation here. For sure in Milan they won't be forced to respect any particular time schedule - as it might happen in a festival where NIN are not the headline band of the evening - and they might be able to do a proper soundcheck first too. But I know very little about soundchecks so maybe in Zurich the sound will be great too, even though it's a festival and bands almost plug the instruments in and play.

My answer to this dilemma is: going to both gigs.
    Still don't know what's better, though. I think at this time it's up to your personal preference but I would wait at least until tomorrow when NIN might announce their whole tour (as speculated in another thread).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ah okay. Right now I'm prefering Zurich because the festival lineup is actually pretty good. With flying from Vienna and not camping on the festival but staying in a hostel, that could really be a great weekend. What do you think of Zurich, though? Last time I was there I thought it's a little close-minded village trying to act like a "cosmopolitan city". But maybe I was a little biased because of that naked dude sleeping in my tent.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Ah okay. Right now I'm prefering Zurich because the festival lineup is actually pretty good. With flying from Vienna and not camping on the festival but staying in a hostel, that could really be a great weekend. What do you think of Zurich, though? Last time I was there I thought it's a little close-minded village trying to act like a "cosmopolitan city". But maybe I was a little biased because of that naked dude sleeping in my tent.
    I've been to Zurich only once and I think it's a nice city. I tend to agree with your definition of "pretentious narrow-minded cosmopolitan city with people sleeping in others' tents" (except the tent bit) but I'll try to answer to your question giving you a short overview of what I think (any Swiss reading this can feel free to join the discussion and disagree!)

As a Swiss, I have to admit that Switzerland is a weird country. There are three main linguistic region, German area being the most popular, followed by French and Italian. Although we live in the same country and we share the same flag, each linguistic area has an extremely different identity and cultural backgrounds and since we speak different languages, it's often very difficult to talk to each other and by doing so we often misunderstand each other. Additionally, we're geographically divided by the Swiss alps. This division is often very clear when you look at results in politics, with French and Italian appearing to be more open-minded whereas German area appearing to be more conservative and narrow-minded. This often leads to internal misunderstandings and bring a certain fear/angst to deal with Swiss people. Swiss German don't like Swiss French and Swiss Italian and neither Swiss French and Italian like Swiss German. It all depends on your point of view.

To sum up: Switzerland is a huge mix of nationalities, languages, identities, different thoughts, chocolate and cuckoo clocks. Well, wait... we're about 8 million people so I wouldn't say HUGE.
    In 20 years of my life, that's what I've understood of the country I live in. Every Swiss person might be different so don't be afraid of them. You'll find narrow-minded and unfriendly people everywhere in the world, although I've been in the UK for about half a year and I have to admit that people were generally much friendly there.

Cmon, think positive and nobody is gonna sleep in your tent again ; )

By the way, what's "worrying" me most is that i the Italian region VERY FEW people listen to NIN. I don't know if it's the same in your country, but only a few friends of mine actually listen to NIN. Luckily, given the number of likes on the Zurich Openair facebook page, in the Swiss German area NIN are - hopefully - much more popular!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like Switzerland, but I've only been in the german speaking parts so far. I just got the impression that as soon they found out that I'm from Austria they really had the urge to point out that they are not in the EU and really glad that they "make their own laws" (actual quote). Anyway, the people seemed nice overall I guess I should give Zurich another chance. I have a question.. is the festival in the city? Because it says Rümlang, I don't know if that is still in the city. First time the festival was in the city near the airport. I have thought it's the case again.. I'd like to sleep in a hostel and not stay on the camping area. What do you think?

edit: how is the italian region?
    Last edited by dominik; 06-06-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I'm new here and when I saw everybody have already been to the Zurich open air i decided to ask you all some questions. I read somewhere there is no camping this year for the festival, is it true? Which are other ways of accommodation?? Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have a question.. is the festival in the city? Because it says Rümlang, I don't know if that is still in the city. ?
    Hi, I also will drive to Zurich. The Festival is not in the city - its outside.The easiest way for arrival - you can inform here:
    http://zurichopenair.ch/anfahrt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Lapiccirella View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and when I saw everybody have already been to the Zurich open air i decided to ask you all some questions. I read somewhere there is no camping this year for the festival, is it true? Which are other ways of accommodation?? Thanks
    Camping information:
    http://zurichopenair.ch/camping

There are lots of hotels near the concerts area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi! Is someone looking for a ride sharing the costs? I'm leaving from Milan area going to Zurich...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    any infos on stream or something?