Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphones and Amps and DACs... Oh My!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thank you. That is very useful. I think I should crack the box and try them. Someone else pointed out that, since the half price deal was only on BF, I could probably sell them on eBay even opened for at least what I paid for it (having said that seems there's plenty on eBay already). But there's no way of knowing if they fill a void in my life without actually trying them.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Does anyone here use a mini amp (2x15-2x20w) to power bookshelf speakers? I'm looking to make up a set of "better than an extremely expensive bluetooth speaker" gear to take on an upcoming move. I've got the speakers already, but I want to leave my bulky 5.1 receiver behind and buy a small amp to power them with instead. I don't need a remote or a sub output, just a stereo amp. The Lepai 2020A+ seems to be a commonly suggested model, but looking for any other opinions.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Does anyone here use a mini amp (2x15-2x20w) to power bookshelf speakers? I'm looking to make up a set of "better than an extremely expensive bluetooth speaker" gear to take on an upcoming move. I've got the speakers already, but I want to leave my bulky 5.1 receiver behind and buy a small amp to power them with instead. I don't need a remote or a sub output, just a stereo amp. The Lepai 2020A+ seems to be a commonly suggested model, but looking for any other opinions.
    I used one of those (similar model, definitely the same brand) with some generic bookshelf speakers for a very short-lived design project last year. The connectors are EXTREMELY flimsy and broke off in transit — in fact, the whole thing is cheap plastic construction, very much hobbyist-DIY quality (ie. not good enough for serious listening) and won't last long. It may work out okay for a while but be sure you can easily return for a refund, that's all I'm saying. Consider investing in proper gear rather than buying $4 worth of parts in a factory-assembled $25 package.

Or if you want something comparable but just a little bit better, have a look at this.
    Last edited by botley; 12-02-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I used one of those (similar model, definitely the same brand) with some generic bookshelf speakers for a very short-lived design project last year. The connectors are EXTREMELY flimsy and broke off in transit — in fact, the whole thing is cheap plastic construction, very much hobbyist-DIY quality (ie. not good enough for serious listening) and won't last long. It may work out okay for a while but be sure you can easily return for a refund, that's all I'm saying. Consider investing in proper gear rather than buying $4 worth of parts in a factory-assembled $25 package.

Or if you want something comparable but just a little bit better, have a look at this.
    Great review! I'm all about buying proper gear when it comes to audio (I already have most of it; I just can't take it on this move). In this particular instance it's all about a kind of stop-gap solution. Article definitely had some good food for thought.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So, I'm listening to The Fragile on my new Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless cans. I have a feeling there's slightly too much bass. Anyone have these cans? Does the bass tighten after time??

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Seems like a good time to be asking this...
    How do I listen to vinyl through headphones? I'm at work right now so can't post my gear but I have the player hooked up to a cheap amp. Said amp has a hole for MP3 but this only lets me plug my phone in and listen to that through the speakers. I'm guessing I need a different amp?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Seems like a good time to be asking this...
    How do I listen to vinyl through headphones? I'm at work right now so can't post my gear but I have the player hooked up to a cheap amp. Said amp has a hole for MP3 but this only lets me plug my phone in and listen to that through the speakers. I'm guessing I need a different amp?
    i have mine hooked through my stereo so when i want to use headphones, i just plug them in and it deactivates the speakers. i'm guessing there are some smaller amps that offer a headphone out.

when you say yours has a "hole for mp3" do you mean a USB port?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i have mine hooked through my stereo so when i want to use headphones, i just plug them in and it deactivates the speakers. i'm guessing there are some smaller amps that offer a headphone out.

when you say yours has a "hole for mp3" do you mean a USB port?
    No, not USB. Lil circle hole that is the same size as a headphone jack, but it only works for input. "Lepai LP-2020A+ Hi-Fi Stereo Power Amplifier" is what I'm using, connected to "Pioneer PL-990" player, and two Sony speakers. I knew/know nothing about this stuff and randomly put this all together via amazon review recommendations a few years ago.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    No, not USB. Lil circle hole that is the same size as a headphone jack, but it only works for input. "Lepai LP-2020A+ Hi-Fi Stereo Power Amplifier" is what I'm using, connected to "Pioneer PL-990" player, and two Sony speakers. I knew/know nothing about this stuff and randomly put this all together via amazon review recommendations a few years ago.
    ah, a 3.5mm line-input jack.

yeah, that's a pretty tiny amp and doesn't have anything but speaker outs. so your choices are a) get a different amp that offers a headphone out port (either 3.5mm or 1/4" will work fine, as long as you have an adapter for your chosen pair of headphones) or b) find a separate headphone amp that will take a line input (since your turntable has a built-in phono amp) and plug your turntable into that when you want to use it.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Thank you good sir, I'll get to googling... or amazoning!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I might open those sennheisers this week. I'm borrowing a focusrite Scarlett to use as amp/dac and new NIN may make for interesting audition material!

Edit: 16:44 and I haven't opened them today for various reasons; maybe Tomorrow
    Last edited by jmtd; 12-19-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Need some help. Due to the recent events, I am looking into putting together a system. At a budget of course. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced amplifier with a headphone jack. I am finding great deals yet these amps don't have a headphone jack.

Can someone point me to the right direction ?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Need some help. Due to the recent events, I am looking into putting together a system. At a budget of course. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced amplifier with a headphone jack. I am finding great deals yet these amps don't have a headphone jack.

Can someone point me to the right direction ?
    https://www.turntablelab.com/product...mi-matte-black

that will run a pair of speakers, it will connect to powered speakers, it has a headphone jack on the front, AND it has a 3.5mm line-input jack so you can plug your phone into it if you want.

that said, it DOES NOT have a built-in phono pre-amp. so if the turntable you got has phono out instead of line out, it's not the right thing. what turntable did you get?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    https://www.turntablelab.com/product...mi-matte-black

that will run a pair of speakers, it will connect to powered speakers, it has a headphone jack on the front, AND it has a 3.5mm line-input jack so you can plug your phone into it if you want.

that said, it DOES NOT have a built-in phono pre-amp. so if the turntable you got has phono out instead of line out, it's not the right thing. what turntable did you get?
    Still looking into it, I wont be purchasing one till I know which one to get and save up for it. I was told an LP-120 was the way to go, or a turntable from u-turn. I am not sure as I am new to this. I want a table that will safely play my records while providing good sound.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Another question. Would I need an amp with an equalizer or no?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Another question. Would I need an amp with an equalizer or no?
    no. as long as your turntable has a built-in phono pre-amp or the amp you get has one, you're fine. equalizers are unnecessary unless you're a super uptight "audiophile" (i put that in quotes because, seriously, i'm an audiophile and i want to listen to things as they are presented, not fuck with them).

also, u-turn makes solid turntables that are very easy on your records.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I'm looking at buying a Lightning-equipped headphone and this one caught my eye.

Sony MDR-1ADAC

I like that it has the Lightning connector but also the connector for my NWZ-A27 so I can listen to HD files digitally. The problem is I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews. The few I've read all say "it's alright" but for $250+ I need to know more.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Sennheiser HD598 CS initial review: not as comfortable as the HD438s, tricky to wear on the move (my collar/scarf kept pushing them off my ears). A close fit, good isolation from outside. Sound quality is excellent. Too soon to say more about that; at least as good as the HD438s.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Cross-post from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    ATH m50x, bought it 2 days ago. I had ~20$ Philips earbuds, which is surprisingly decent, especially for its cost. Nothing audiophile about it, but sounds good with every genre.
    Part of this is a placebo effect caused by the diaphragms of the earbuds vibrating in closer proximity to your ear drums.

Honestly, I'd spend some more time with them and figure out what exactly you want for a sound profile. Starting out, any sort of headphone is immediately going to sound more neutral than something jammed by your eardrums. Figure out if it truly is a "depth" issue for your ears, or a difference in volume (which creates differences in subtleties, etc.). You may prefer (and get a better audio experience out of) something with more bass, but I think 2 days is a little early to make a final judgment.

If you need to adjust anything, I would look into DSP effects for foobar2k rather than using software that came with your soundcard.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I've been wearing earbuds for years, but a few factors, including constant replacements due to one bud inevitably dying after 3/4 of a year or so of use, and friends being concerned that I play them too loud, led to my finally caving and spending a bit more on the Sennheiser HD 4.30i model. This will take some getting used to, but I think I'm pretty satisfied after about an hour or so of listening.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I might open those sennheisers this week. I'm borrowing a focusrite Scarlett to use as amp/dac and new NIN may make for interesting audition material!

Edit: 16:44 and I haven't opened them today for various reasons; maybe Tomorrow
    Curious as to how this worked! I'm looking into buying a system and if I can save the money on a preamp (I already have a Scarlett) it would be great!

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I'm happy with my new Audio-Technica ATH-E40 IEMs (a real bargain at CAD $100) for the subway commute and other casual listening. They isolate well and the midrange sounds good.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeninphoenix View Post
    Curious as to how this worked! I'm looking into buying a system and if I can save the money on a preamp (I already have a Scarlett) it would be great!
    The headphones are pretty good but I rarely use them for stupid reasons. As I write this I'm listening to internet radio with my AKG 512s (which are my portable set) whilst sat at my work desk, and to my right the Sennheisers are parked on top of my plush cacodemon. What a waste of money.

The Scarlett didn't work out particularly great, but you couldn't use it as a pre-amp anyway so it wouldn't help you.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I'm interested in upgrading my sound system. I will start with a nice set of headphones, amp and DAC. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to test most products before I buy so I'm forced to purchased based on online reviews. I know, not ideal. Being that I listen to NIN by far more than anything, I want some cans that match that style of music. I am curious if any of you have recommendations? I've been considering the Sennheiser HD650 or the HD800, Woo Audio WA2 or WA22 headphone amp, and a Resonessence Concero HD DAC. Thanks.
    Cross-post from here.

Those are huge price swings for the headphones and amp. The difference between the HD650's and the HD800's is around $600. The difference between the WA2 and WA22 is $900–$1000 (assuming "factory" attenuator on the WA2).

I would first figure out within $50–$100 how much you want to spend on each piece. There are so many choices within the price ranges you've presented, it would be easier if there was a more solid number to lean towards. I know tone can get lost in typing; I'm making this recommendation hoping to curb you from feeling "ripped off" later.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Cross-post from here.

Those are huge price swings for the headphones and amp. The difference between the HD650's and the HD800's is around $600. The difference between the WA2 and WA22 is $900–$1000 (assuming "factory" attenuator on the WA2).

I would first figure out within $50–$100 how much you want to spend on each piece. There are so many choices within the price ranges you've presented, it would be easier if there was a more solid number to lean towards. I know tone can get lost in typing; I'm making this recommendation hoping to curb you from feeling "ripped off" later.
    I understand what you are saying. There is a large difference in price but I want to get it right the first time. I don't mind spending the money if it's worth the money. I don't want to settle now only to wish I'd gotten better. I was hoping to be around $3,000 for all 3 pieces but don't have a firm budget.
    Last edited by Jordan; 11-01-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    My past few purchases have been compact DAC/Amp combos. Nothing over $200; just interested in testing unassuming options.

I should have an AudioQuest DragonFly Red coming my way at the end of this month. Anyone in ETS-land have one of these things?

The only hang-up is with the adapter I would need to purchase (Lightning to USB 3.0). From what I understand, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible but incapable of asynchronous transfer. Here are some questions since I hadn't considered this until just recently:

1). Is the CCK adapter capable of audio passthrough/bitstream? I know USB and Lightning are digital, just not sure if there's a hiccup somewhere in the circuitry.
    2). Is ATM something I need to be worried about on a mobile device (iPhone 8+) in relation to audio fidelity?
    3). If "Yes" to #2 -- would purchasing an older cable (Lightning to USB 2.0) provide asynchronous transfer?

I'm very interested in some answers/opinions from the techies here. Head-fi.org probably has all of this information spread out over multiple posts/articles, but that's no fun.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    no. as long as your turntable has a built-in phono pre-amp or the amp you get has one, you're fine. equalizers are unnecessary unless you're a super uptight "audiophile" (i put that in quotes because, seriously, i'm an audiophile and i want to listen to things as they are presented, not fuck with them).

also, u-turn makes solid turntables that are very easy on your records.
    I can second the U-Turn turntables. I just got the Orbit Custom and it's the bomb. Not as dope as my SL1200's from back in the day when I fucked around trying to be DJ Jazzy Jeff but a true solid table for sure. I got the Grado cartridge, acrylic platter and walnut plinth. This table is pretty good for the money.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Received a balanced HD650 cable from Corpse Cable on eBay last night and finally gave it a listen...I can't believe how much better the HD6XX sound with this cable over single-ended. I recently upgraded my Schiit Vali 2 to a Jotenheim and am blown away by the additional detail and clarity this amp provides. The Modi Multibit continues to impress me so much. It's the best DAC I've ever heard and it's hard to believe the Gungnir Multibit (my next upgrade) is even more precise and detailed. NIN is especially wonderful to listen to with all of the little details and layers to discover. I can't believe how many new things I've heard since upgrading my audio game over the last year.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Received a balanced HD650 cable from Corpse Cable on eBay last night and finally gave it a listen...I can't believe how much better the HD6XX sound with this cable over single-ended.
    Did you end up with the GraveDigger make or one of the "older" ones? Interconnects are an upgrade most people scoff at until they hear a balanced setup.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Did you end up with the GraveDigger make or one of the "older" ones? Interconnects are an upgrade most people scoff at until they hear a balanced setup.
    I just got a stock 650 cable modified to terminate in a 4-pin XLR connector. It was only $60 on their eBay page and I figure, for now, that'll do. I was eyeing the Black Dragon and Silver Dragon cables but folks at SBAF recommended against them for now. I'll get more out of my money with a better DAC than by spending $300+ on a cable, but I definitely do intend on getting to that point someday.

The upgrade from Vali 2 > Jotenheim and then single-ended to balanced for my headphone cables has been enormous and I'm looking forward to just enjoying this for the time being while constantly thinking about a Gungnir Multibit...