Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1360

Thread: NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

I don't like it. The production is good, but I'm listening to it here and there for the past days and it's boring. Nothing new. I hate the cheesy lyrics. The music is great, but accompanied with his voice singing the lyrics a 15 year would write is just embarassing. I hope the album will be good/different from this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Smile

Each time a new NIN single is released, I really want to like it, but I haven't actually been truly blown away by a single since TDTWWA.

CBH sounds like a song off WT to me. It would fit right in among the tracks off that album. Which is discouraging because WT is the only NIN album that I'm not fond of.

However, I wasn't particularly taken with Survivalism either, and YZ turned out to be a spectacularly good album. Survivalism even sounded much better once it was in context.

Also, CBH has much higher production value than WT. One of my issues with that album was the lack of layered sound that I really love from NIN. Also also, the artwork is reminding me of how I felt when I was fifteen and listening to TDS for the first time, so that alone is enough to get me excited about the album. Hopefully Trent is using TDS-style art for a good reason.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    I'm all for criticism, I'm not one of those crazybots who declares that Trent can do no wrong. I skip over Vessel every time! But I'm crious as to why some of you are even here, going on about how bad and embarrassing Trent's poor lyric writing ability. Seems odd for a group of people who are supposedly huge fans.
    It's entirely possible to be a fan, be realistic about something unpleasant and provide blunt criticism without "trolling." Being a fan does not mean your attitude will be "OMFG he can do no wrong, he's a genius!!!! AHHHHHHH!" 100% all the time. That's called being sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    After "I got my armsaflipflopflipflopflip" nothing Trent writes can affect me. He's done worse.
    God, that's the worst for me too. Niice, username, btw.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Selfdestruct View Post
    It's entirely possible to be a fan, be realistic about something unpleasant and provide blunt criticism without "trolling." Being a fan does not mean your attitude will be "OMFG he can do no wrong, he's a genius!!!! AHHHHHHH!" 100% all the time. That's called being sheep.

God, that's the worst for me too. Niice, username, btw.
    We are in agreement, if you didn't bother reading what I wrote. I'm all for criticism. I don't know how one slips on tears. It's shit like this I'm talking about:
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    the lyrics are embarrassingly bad (no surprise)
    No surprise? I'm not saying he's is the greatest writer of our time, but give him some credit. Especially if you're on a message board dedicated to the man's music.

Miss, Shadaloo...how's about the three of us settle this over some Third Strike?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm all for criticism, I'm not one of those crazybots who declares that Trent can do no wrong. I skip over Vessel every time! But I'm crious as to why some of you are even here, going on about how bad and embarrassing Trent's poor lyric writing ability. Seems odd for a group of people who are supposedly huge fans.
    Well, as others have pointed out in their own way, it's because it's a NIN forum and we're all going bananas over the fact that we just realized one of our favorite artists is about to put out a new album when most of us probably thought he'd hung it up for good. So we'll scrutinize it and discuss what we like, don't like and all that stuff because...it's just what people do. Whether it's movies, books, politicians or video games. I welcome viewpoints from others.

Ultimately, there's only one thing that truly quantifies whether or not a song is "good" or "bad": the emotional state of the person doing the listening. It's like that famous optical illusion -- is it a candlestick or the profiles of two people facing each other? It's actually both. It's whichever one you say it is depending on how you perceive it. And that's how all art is, really - this latest single included. You think it's a good song, some of us don't. We're actually both correct. In my case, I believe there's a 'candlestick' in the new single that you are able to perceive, I'm just unable to perceive it myself for whatever reason. I only see 'two profiles'.

Anyway, as a point of contrast in terms of preference, there's a song by The Knife called "Full Of Fire" that sorta reminds me of CBH (mostly at the beginning). Except I like it a lot more because the production, to me, sounds so much more nuanced, the rhythmic patterns are more interesting. Yeah, it's apples and oranges because they're two separate bands, I'm just throwing it out there because it's an opinion and that's all we're doing here.

Last edited by memeories; 06-08-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Yeah, I mentioned "Full Of Fire" earlier, too. And - just like you - I like it better also. For the exact same reasons you've stated. CBH kinda feels like a poppier version of FOF, productionwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is anyone else reminded of Colm Feore's 'Lord Marshal' character from The Chronicles Of Riddick when they hear the lyrics to Came back Haunted?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Honestly, lyrics are among the least important components of music for me... If they were much more vital in my mind, I probably would have stopped caring that much about NIN around the time I graduated high school. There are some REALLY bad lyrics from pretty much every era of NIN, but honestly, I can get behind most of them (sans "Getting Smaller" and "That's What I Get") because Trent's delivery is often so strong. There's a lot of raw emotion in his voice, which just sounds awesome to begin with, and he obviously has a strong sense of melody. Yeah, I hate lines like "There's something you've got to see, they put something inside of me" (Really Trent? It's bad enough to use a word like "something" once in this context, but in back to back lines? Try being specific...) on paper, but I'm willing to overlook it because so many other aspects of the song are so strong. Like many others have said, CBH has a lot of layers, and a lot of subtle little shifts that keep the song interesting throughout its run time. The chorus is also catchy as hell.... it mixes depth and pop accessibility in a way that only TR really can.

Also, I'm glad someone else picked up on The Knife sound. I realized that a while back too. I've always thought they would make a great opening band for NIN (Though I've heard they really don't play live very often), but Godspeed and Explosions are more than alright with me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the lyrics are hilarious but they don't detract from the song, they just make me like it more. "You know me, I can't help myself" - I love when he references his previous songs, it almost seems to legitimize each new release, like he's reminding us it's still him. Plus, yeah, the whole song is basically saying "I'm back, you guys!" Which I can understand how that might seem a little corny, but it's like a celebration of returning to what carried him so far over so many years. A year or so ago when he said he'd be using 2012 to write with new NIN in mind, he said it was because he thought he was at a place in his life where he had something new to say, and this is it: he thought he could put NIN to bed, but he had to come back to it. That sounds like an honest reflection of his life right now. I'm actually just relieved he's not trying to conjure up old aggression for the sake of it - he's got a wife, kids, friends, Grammys, he's happy!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    After "I got my armsaflipflopflipflopflip" nothing Trent writes can affect me. He's done worse.
    Then it might make you feel a lot better knowing Trent didn't come up with it, it was likely a reference to either Pere Ubu or Pynchon (whom Pere Ubu referenced in the first place).
    http://ubuprojex.net/lyrics/dh.html

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    These lyrics aren't even bad compared to "Down the path we have chose" and "The destiny I've chose", both from "The Fragile".

You can diss the lyrical clichés in this song all you want; by now, those are pretty much inseparable from Nine Inch Nails. But I seriously wonder why no one with a better grip on elementary school grammar dragged Trent aside while recording the lines above...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Ditto. After hearing the "ha-ha-haunted" part of the chorus I kept thinking: "It's bad, but not nearly as bad as repeating 'awithateetha' four times in a row"

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    You know the "he's done worse" argument doesnt jive with me. He has done worse, on occassion. But hes also, more often, written incredible lyrics, that are insightful and play over really creative and original music.
    I never thought TR's autobiographical lyrics were that great; there are some gems to be found, but they're scattered amongst a sea of sophomoric emo poetry. I wish he'd go down the 'Year Zero' path a little more often and take his "wear my heart on my sleeve" approach out of the equation.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    These lyrics aren't even bad compared to "Down the path we have chose" and "The destiny I've chose", both from "The Fragile".

You can diss the lyrical clichés in this song all you want; by now, those are pretty much inseparable from Nine Inch Nails. But I seriously wonder why no one with a better grip on elementary school grammar dragged Trent aside while recording the lines above...
    Because then it wouldn't rhyme. It's a song, not an essay.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Well, how come other acts are able to write songs, not essays, that rhyme without sounding like they were written by a 15 year old?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I read somewhere that the entire point of 'Getting Smaller' was to make a Pere Ubu song. As a music first guy, I've always considered lyrics a bonus, but I consider the first three NIN records pretty strong lyrically save for a song or two. The Fragile a step down and everything since pretty bleak. Remember though that all of the great poets in the history of the world were alcoholics and drug addicts, and Trent's been clean for a while.

Like all first singles from NIN records, my first reaction is mostly 'meh'. But I've felt that way before and Trent's come through and as mentioned, context is key. If this record is as electronic as this I'm gonna like it, but NIN fan Howard Stern prolly won't.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Then it might make you feel a lot better knowing Trent didn't come up with it, it was likely a reference to either Pere Ubu or Pynchon (whom Pere Ubu referenced in the first place).
    http://ubuprojex.net/lyrics/dh.html
    Nice. I always kind of took it as referencing a very automatic motion; you generally don't think about the way your arms move when you're walking, they just do. Just thought it came off a little silly.

Well, if I've gotta revert to Purest Feeling for bad lyric choices, guess I gotta.

In all honesty, the lyrics aren't my biggest selling point when it comes to Trent. It's more about what they evoke combined with their given song. We know he's not the greatest lyricist in the world, but he can take a simple phrase like "please, take this, and run far away from me" and make it gut-wrenching for the tone of AATCHB (for me personally, anyway). That's where he knocks it out of the park. The song in question here's the album's requisite simple poppy number, that one big single on the album you go "yep" towards when it comes up on a playthrough, and you move on to the next. He could probably whip out ten songs like this in his sleep. Maybe said singles are starting to feel a little phoned in because we're just expecting them at this point.

Miss, Shadaloo...how's about the three of us settle this over some Third Strike?
    Excellent. My Q could do with a challenge!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Well, how come other acts are able to write songs, not essays, that rhyme without sounding like they were written by a 15 year old?
    'Cause - and stop me if this is obvious - they're other acts, not Nine Inch Nails. Writing isn't his strength.

No one out of high school comes to Trent for his poetry. They come for the texture, the otherworldly sound and the interplay between dissonance and beauty.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    'Cause - and stop me if this is obvious - they're other acts, not Nine Inch Nails. Writing isn't his strength.

No one out of high school comes to Trent for his poetry. They come for the texture, the otherworldly sound and the interplay between dissonance and beauty.
    He's lyrically inconsistent. Some of his work on Year Zero was pretty good. He's fine when he is emoting.

But what's worse? Using the same corny words or just making up nonsensical crap (like most radiohead lyrics).

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    nonsensical crap (like most radiohead lyrics).
    What the fuck ever

I guess I'll take the "nonsensical crap," but I didn't know this was a contest
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-08-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The purpose of the discussion regarding the quality of Trent's lyric writing overall is becoming more elusive. If I'm understanding correctly some are saying that they've never really liked Trent's lyrics in the first place.... and that's essentially a defense of the new single? Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

I do think Trents lyric writing has taken an over all dive in the Post-Fragile-Era, but he can still be insightful and clever. Apparently I'm in the minority, but I've always thought he had the ability to perfectly express and articulate feelings and ideas, usually darker ones, with his lyrics, and he often does it with unique boundary pushing music. I actually think the verse in "Came Back Haunted" is pretty clever, but the chorus is kind of annoying. The music itself...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really love this song. In fact, I would say it is my favorite NIN song to date. It's not always what is said, rather how it's said and Mr. Reznor's delivery is flawless. I'm very pleased with the sound so for and absolutely cannot wait for the full album.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I was excited when I first heard the song, because ANY song he put out after a 5 year break would sound refreshing and great. As it has sunk in, the song has kinda slipped into mediocre/decent WT/YZ/Slip territory..I dotn find it any better or different than the songs on those albums, its basically picking up where he left off....For people to say its their fav NIN song ever or one of their favs, its obv they are letting their emotions and excitement over a new song get in the way of their judgment...How anyone can rank this song alongside songs off TDS or Fragile...I mean please

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Because then it wouldn't rhyme. It's a song, not an essay.
    "Down the path that we chose."

"The destiny I chose."

Hmm, they're grammatically correct. The meanings are pretty much identical too and the number of syllables is unchanged in both. Too bad none of them rhyme. Oh, wait...
    Last edited by Fred; 06-09-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The problem with the lyrics for me is, that when I was 15-20, I could relate to his lyrics. Now that I'm older it sounds kind of dull. For me its too rushed and without clever second meaning. Its like he is trying to be cool with his singing but failing miserably - all the "bla bla black" and "ha ha haunted" are OMFG please stop. And the part where "black black black" is echoing is just... C'mon. I just don't like his plain word playing in the post fragile era.

Someone mentioned Radiohead lyrics or Atoms for Peace. I forgot how you called them. The magic with that kind of lyrics is, that in different moods and feelings u get something else out of them. You can understand them differently and more deep. Like the the TDS and Fragile era.

And CBH is really cheap compared to their lyrics. Hate me for saying that. But the comparison was really out of place. York's lyricism is beyond the reach of Trent.

But still I love them... I don't know why. But I'm sad that nowdays I hear a lot more "wow" music and Trent is not a part of this. Even HTDA. Perfect production but no feelings. I barely listen to them now - when released I was wowed but then it worn off.

The last challenging music was the last album from The Knife. Really out of this place, hard to digest but challenging and rewarding. Like the first time I listened to The Fragile. It took time to get to know with the songs... You had to take time for music. With CBH you know where is going.
    Last edited by dzaver; 06-09-2013 at 02:23 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I was excited when I first heard the song, because ANY song he put out after a 5 year break would sound refreshing and great.
    He's been pretty dormant hasn't he.

Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    the song has kinda slipped into mediocre/decent WT/YZ/Slip territory..I dotn find it any better or different than the songs on those albums --SNIP-- How anyone can rank this song alongside songs off TDS or Fragile...I mean please
    Fuck the fuck off. Seriously, all you people with this "OMG, TDS/FRAGILE WAS THE APEX OF HIS CAREER" mentality can eat a bag of dicks. All I'm hearing is "back in my day, things were different...". I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the new shit disappoints you so much, either walk away or http://www.timemachineforsale.com

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    After listening about 20 times or so, I find it really - enjoyable! Although I can understand some of the comments about lyrics etc, once I listen to the song I just don't care. I love the noise that comes in over the chorus which makes the song sound, dare I say it, haunting. And the 'just can't - stop' section is great too. The only thing I'd say was wrong is the uninspiring guitar solo - I hope Robin mixes it up live.

Someone really needs to tell Jinsai that this song pisses all over anything the Beatles came up with

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    Fuck the fuck off. Seriously, all you people with this "OMG, TDS/FRAGILE WAS THE APEX OF HIS CAREER" mentality can eat a bag of dicks. All I'm hearing is "back in my day, things were different...". I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the new shit disappoints you so much, either walk away or http://www.timemachineforsale.com
    as long as I care u can eat a bag of dicks. oh wait. you are in one of them. People are just discussing and if u think that on a forum everybody likes the same then u can buy yourself a spaceship because on this planet people disagree and discuss. bye

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I don't know, I just constantly find myself listening to it more and more everyday....

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    the discussions on these boards have constantly the same course/ritual the last couple of years.
    i think trent is infected and does the same with his singles.

people here are struggling all the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I still think it sounds like Trent is saying " I came back home dead" instead of "I came back haunted".