Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Eels

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Eels

Anybody else a fan of these guys? I can't stop listening to Hombre Lobo and Shootenanny lately...Another act I would've loved to catch on tour this year!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Shootenanny, Daisies, Souljacker, and Electroshock are my favorite E releases. I never got to see him live durign any of these periods, or ever for that matter. I have a feeling i wouldbe severely let down now. I watched that DVD from a few years back & wanted to shoot myself.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Shootenanny, Daisies, Souljacker, and Electroshock are my favorite E releases. I never got to see him live durign any of these periods, or ever for that matter. I have a feeling i wouldbe severely let down now. I watched that DVD from a few years back & wanted to shoot myself.
    You mean, uhhh....what was it called....Useless Trinkets? I saw that and thought about checking it out. That bad eh? :\

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I found Electroshock on a suggestion from ETS year ago, and quickly became addicted. They've got plenty of other good stuff, but that's still my hands-down favorite. Utterly depressing though...gotta be careful deciding when to listen to it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I found Electroshock on a suggestion from ETS year ago, and quickly became addicted. They've got plenty of other good stuff, but that's still my hands-down favorite. Utterly depressing though...gotta be careful deciding when to listen to it.
    Yeah, this. I love all of E's releases, but they're all rather depressing in their own way. "Little Bird" kills me every time. Really enjoyed reading his autobiography; a lot of ugly honesty in there.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    New album's coming out Feb. 5th! "Wonderful, Glorious." Lotsa cheap pre-order packages available.

My favorite of the two tracks out right now (the other one being "Peach Blossom")-

Also, there's a ton of new stuff (at least, since the last time I looked) on their store's page. http://eelstheband.com/

And on a side note, has anyone else seen the documentary about E learning about his father? "Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives?" It's on youtube in parts. I'm on part 3 so far. Really interesting stuff, and I'm kind of in E's position in terms of understanding mathematics and scientific theories. :P

Edit: Holy shit. I'm at the end of this documentary, and E just had this really awesome moment when he listened to old audio recordings of his father, and he eventually finds a tape that has E himself as a kid, just talking. Man. Watch this if you get an hour to kill.

Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 12-13-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow! I had almost forgotten about this band. I used to love the 'Beautiful Freak' (I think that was the name) album.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Listening to the new album.Tasty stuff.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    I'll see him next month

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Forgot about the album coming out this year; have to go check it out! I made the mistake of turning on an earlier album and letting Eels play for the next three hours while reading on a day on which I was already extremely depressed. Despite not really listening to the lyrics, I think it still managed to get under my skin. Egad, E really knows how to just crush someone's spirit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Novocaine For the Soul" made me cry like a baby. I'm kind of scared to listen to other songs. But the "Eels on Strings" version was beautiful. I think I'll listen to them a bit more once I feel a bit more stable.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I saw them several times on their club shows before Daisies of the Galaxy came out, and they were some of the greatest shows I'd ever seen. Seriously incredible stuff, the kind of thing that can turn you into a drooling fanboy.

Then I saw them on a show for Souljacker, and I thought it was a joke at first. By comparison, it felt like an insult. I tried again and again to see if they'd retain that magic they had with the Electro Shock Blues / Daisies tour, and it just never came close. There was something amazing happening there, and at least it was more or less captured on the live album that came out around then.

I would love to get back on board, but I think that ship has sailed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by estringrose View Post
    "Novocaine For the Soul" made me cry like a baby. I'm kind of scared to listen to other songs. But the "Eels on Strings" version was beautiful. I think I'll listen to them a bit more once I feel a bit more stable.
    Yeah, if you're in a bad or unhappy place, the album Electro Shock Blues can be a really intensely miserable listening experience. There's some really downer stuff on there.
    It's still by far my favorite of their albums, but yeah, it can mess with you if you're in a dark mood.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-19-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I've seen Eels at the festival this summer, and honestly, they were one of the highlights.

I didn't really care about them before, but prior to the festival I checked some of their stuff anyways (Meet the Eels - the greatest hits album, then the latest album they are supposed to be touring with, and one album in between). It was fine, but didn't have much of a replay value to me.

At the show, however, they were just unstoppable, the songs worked much better live and mr E's interactions with the band and the audience in between the songs were really funny and created great atmosphere. They also did an unexpected cover of Cinnamon Girl as a tribute to Neil Young, whose supposed headline performance was cancelled mere days before the festival.