Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you or don't you like Everything?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    It's not like this is a topic that came up in something else, this is a thread dedicated to the discussion. If you don't want to join in, then don't come to the thread? I don't want to do the "least favourite nin song from each album" thread, so I haven't posted there
    Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I was just suprised this was still going on

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    Personnaly I dislike it very much.
    I still don't understand why Trent writes such a kind of songs (like THTF, TBOTE, 1000000 , CBH etc etc).
    Does he want more airplay?
    He has his name in music business and everybody knows where he stands for. You can get airplay also with more quality songs.

But on the other hand, his journey through the compositions he'll make/he made from progressive stuff to commercial stuff is maybe the thrill he personally needs to give us all the good stuff.
    Also, it's awesome to see all the variant/ different music styles he stands for during a live concert. Very special to observe.
    It's because the fans love big, anthemic songs like that. They're really fun live and everyone gets into it. As much as I love Find My Way, whenever he starts up a song like that the pit just dies instantly and people are checking their phones.
    Everything is definitely a huge exception to this rule (imo the casual Wish/Closer fans would probably leave), but the heavier sections are very cool in a punky kind of way. It would be nice to hear live but I'm not holding my breath.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hate it. Deleted it after a few listens, never looked back. When I listen to the album, it doesn't feel like there's a song missing, so I like to pretend it doesn't exist at all.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Hate it. Deleted it after a few listens, never looked back. When I listen to the album, it doesn't feel like there's a song missing, so I like to pretend it doesn't exist at all.
    You don't listen to the album then. I'm not a fan of Big Man, but if I'm listening to the album in full, it stays in place

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's been 26 years and people are still listening to PHM what the fuck, people discuss and enjoy things from the past, fuck this shit I'm going to the future
    Heh, i know i probably listened PHM at least twice as much as H.M. during these 2 years!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Its a real WTF moment on Hesitation Marks haha If I'm in a bad mood I'd probably say I hate it, if I'm in a good mood I tolerate it...but jeez the chorus vocal is awful, really not that keen, its so sub par compared to rest of the album. NIN goes pop-punk and fails.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    You don't listen to the album then. I'm not a fan of Big Man, but if I'm listening to the album in full, it stays in place
    Ok? I don't think a single being in this universe benefits from me sitting through a song I dislike intensely, seems a bit pointless to me.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Ok? I don't think a single being in this universe benefits from me sitting through a song I dislike intensely, seems a bit pointless to me.
    My point is that you said "when you listen to the album". You're not listening to the album, even if you dislike part of it, you can't remove it and still call it the album

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    But I can and I do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    "I survived everything."

"How?"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    My point is that you said "when you listen to the album". You're not listening to the album, even if you dislike part of it, you can't remove it and still call it the album
    I don't think the word "album" has to be taken so literally.

Band puts out a new album. You listen. You like most of it, but maybe one or two tracks aren't your favorite. Someone says "hey, do you like the new album," and you simply reply "yes". Are you going to stand there and say "LIAR! You don't really like the album! You like some songs on it, so that's not the album!" And heck, the HM CD lives in my car's CD player. I often have it on in the background when I'm driving. It's an album. I'm listening to it.

Back on topic - I did the same thing with the version on my iPod (well, just unchecked it instead of deleting it). There's just something about that song that I never quite liked.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I go by the Dig Me Out rule of thumb: is it a worthy album, or would it have been better left as an EP/single. Hesitation Marks is definitely an album's worth of great songs (I count "Everything" as one of them). You could elbow out one or two others to make it shorter and they'd all still hang together nicely, but no way could I cut it down to five or six songs without missing a few of the best ones.

Year Zero, on the other hand...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post

Band puts out a new album. You listen. You like most of it, but maybe one or two tracks aren't your favorite. Someone says "hey, do you like the new album," and you simply reply "yes". Are you going to stand there and say "LIAR! You don't really like the album! You like some songs on it, so that's not the album!" And heck, the HM CD lives in my car's CD player. I often have it on in the background when I'm driving. It's an album. I'm listening to it.

Back on topic - I did the same thing with the version on my iPod (well, just unchecked it instead of deleting it). There's just something about that song that I never quite liked.

I think @sheepdean only said what he said because he has always been so vocal about how militant he is towards listening to albums as a whole and can't listen to individual songs. I'm like that a lot myself actually. Not for everything, but quite often.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post

Eh, that's different to me - you can like most of the album and say you like it. But you can't remove part of the album and then say you're listening to ~the album~. Hell, most people who are doing that are just putting it on shuffle anyway though.

The album of HM is all of the tracks. A playlist of your favourite HM tracks isn't HM, even if it's most of them. Na'mean?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Why even bother putting on an album if you're not going to pay full attention to each and every song while reading the lyrics and credits and studying the artwork in the booklet/printed PDF poster? It's like you guys don't even care about the artist's true vision or something.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Is... Is that sarcasm ? It's really hard to tell sometimes, 'round these parts...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Why even bother putting on an album if you're not going to pay full attention to each and every song while reading the lyrics and credits and studying the artwork in the booklet/printed PDF poster? It's like you guys don't even care about the artist's true vision or something.
    Hey, how you experience it is your choice. But you're not putting on the album if you don't, well, put on the album

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hey, how you experience it is your choice.
    But if there's no booklet gazing, you technically removed part of the album, which - going by your previous post - makes it an incomplete listening experience.

Granted, it could be worse. I know some people who regularly skip no less than 91 tracks on Broken.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    But if there's no booklet gazing, you technically removed part of the album, which - going by your previous post - makes it an incomplete listening experience.

Granted, it could be worse. I know some people who regularly skip no less than 91 tracks on Broken.
    The album is the audio. The package is more than that sure, Ghosts is a great example - but the album, of itself, is the tracks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's like when you go to see a movie. If you step out for a minute to go to the bathroom, you didn't see the movie.

Skip the foreword of a book? You didn't read a book.

Leave a piece of crust off your sandwich? You didn't eat a sandwich.

(Or maybe sheepdean doesn't feel so strongly about those things, in which case the definition is more flexible.)

. . .Now, *that's* clearly sarcasm.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    It's like when you go to see a movie. If you step out for a minute to go to the bathroom, you didn't see the movie.

Skip the foreword of a book? You didn't read a book.

Leave a piece of crust off your sandwich? You didn't eat a sandwich.

(Or maybe sheepdean doesn't feel so strongly about those things, in which case the definition is more flexible.)

. . .Now, *that's* clearly sarcasm.
    Skip a CHAPTER of a book? Then you haven't read it, no. Skip a long scene (~7%) of a film? I'd say you haven't watched all of it either. Are those weird ideas?

And you're telling me as a kid no one ever said to you that you hadn't finished your sandwich because you left the crust? :P

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    That's really a battle of semantics at this point.

But yeah. Finish your vegetables, children. Otherwise, no dessert.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The album is the audio. The package is more than that sure, Ghosts is a great example - but the album, of itself, is the tracks.
    But if by full album you mean the tracks only... Wait.

Are you trying to tell me that your HM sessions for example, consist of listening to the 14 main tracks, and do not end with putting on the "In conversation with..." segment? Yet skipping a 3 minute song somehow invalidates the "full album" thing?

Wow.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    But if by full album you mean the tracks only... Wait.

Are you trying to tell me that your HM sessions for example, consist of listening to the 14 main tracks, and do not end with putting on the "In conversation with..." segment? Yet skipping a 3 minute song somehow invalidates the "full album" thing?

Wow.
    "In conversation with" is a bonus on the digital version of the album. That's like reading the author's foreword. A nice addition, but in no way integrated into the work itself. In french I'd say "Arrète de jouer au con", in english it'd probably translate to "stop being an ass for the sake of arguing".

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Okay, if I follow correctly, the album is the sum of its parts. What is the album… is the album. What is not the album… is not the album. Everything is not the album… but without Everything the album is not. Whoa, the analytics here are bending my mind.

So, does this logic go beyond Hesitation Marks? For instance, am I the sum of my parts? Suppose I had an arm amputated, without that part am I no longer me? Do I exist not? If not, who and what am I? Who??? What??? SOMEBODY… ANSWER ME… PLEASE!!!

Damn you Everything. Damn you for destroying my once simple and happy perception of reality. I’ll never recover from this.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    If a streaming music service plays advertisements after final track of album, does that make me no longer listen to “albums” anymore?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    "stop being an ass for the sake of arguing".
    Sorry, it's not something I can let go. What would you do if people started claiming the US version of With Teeth was a complete, full album?

Spoiler: Jokin', man. It was sarcasm, from post zero. Relax.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Sorry, it's not something I can let go. What would you do if people started claiming the US version of With Teeth was a complete, full album?
    Let's not get crazy here

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    What about the Fragile? Different songs depending on whether you have the vinyl, cassette tape or CD

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    What about the Fragile? Different songs depending on whether you have the vinyl, cassette tape or CD
    As with all of this stuff, there's room for interpretation... but I think in an online fan chat from around 1999 or 2000, TR said he considered the CD version the "real" album with the others as alternates.
    Last edited by botley; 08-22-2015 at 02:40 PM.