Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VAST (Visual Audio Sensory Theater)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

VAST (Visual Audio Sensory Theater)

New VAST record is currently in the works, and most recent news is that the debut LP has been given vinyl treatment:

http://www.realvast.com/

Last edited by Ryan; 10-06-2016 at 04:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    HELL YEAH! Can't wait to get the album on Vinyl!

Also, I suggest checking out Jon's side project Bang Band SiXXX

http://www.amazon.com/Bang-Band-Sixxx/dp/B001OLY7VC

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I really liked April. I know a lot of people don't care for it, but I find myself putting it on repeat more often than other VAST albums.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    VAST - Debut release on 12" vinyl - ltd. ed. 3/500

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    That is fucking gorgeous...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    edit: no longer relevant.
    Last edited by Ryan; 04-01-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    still holding on a bit of hope he can match VAST, Music for People (my personal fav) and Nude.. since then the whole project seems to have just treadwater. April was ok but I couldn't name a track off Me and You.. sad as they were a huge part of my music radar, I used to love the old VMB too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The song Here got me into Vast and after that I followed the chronological progression of the albums. Recently (two days ago?) I threw Music For People in my car stereo and have a new-found appreciation for it. I've liked it since I got it, but I'd find myself listening to VAST or Nude rather than MFP a lot of the time. I'm hearing things buried in the music that I hadn't heard before, which tells me I wasn't listening closely enough.

This is one of the few bands that me and my three best friends all like a good deal. I've seen them in concert twice and if they come around again, I'll Shirley be going then, too. The only reason I know about Vast is because of a friend's brother. A friend who I met on a forum, and whose brother I've never actually met. The internet is such a wonderful place.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    New VAST Music

Tuesday Oct 15, 2013 Week One

Hello and thank you for supporting VAST. Today marks the beginning of a new VAST project we are all excited about.

The rough tracks for "Where'd You Go", "Noise" and "Again and Again" are now available to download and comment on.

CLICK HERE to buy the first batch for $1.49 which also includes a link to vote and write to Jon Crosby.

Experience the making of New VAST Music from the start.

Share your comments about what you like and what you don't like.

You vote and we listen to what tracks you want VAST to finish.

Hear all the music. Some ideas will get explored and some won't. ONLY YOU WILL HEAR THEM ALL!!!

"When I make new music, every idea starts out as a rough first draft. After recording these rough drafts at home I usually play them for a select few people around me, and the process of separating the good, the bad, and the ugly begins. A few months ago when I began playing songs for people, I began to wonder what it would be like if the fans could hear everything I did. We thought about it and decided to start a weekly program to include an interactive experience with the fans. Every week I will release three to five new songs, until this experiment feels finished. Every week people can vote on which songs they like, or don't like, and they can write me directly with questions and feedback. I have taken a few years off from recording and I have a lot of songs to go through. I only spent a few hours on each song and I did everything 100% by myself. I even built the recording desk alone and the instructions said it was a two person job.

It's easy to spend so much time on a weaker track that the recording process actually gets in the way of writing new songs! I find that a good song tends to record itself. I think this will be fun because we are going to go through around thirty or more tracks. There might be those who prefer to wait until the music is totally finished and that's fine, but these downloads will include many songs that are not going to be released to the public at large. I am hoping that the feedback makes the music stronger than it would have been if I just recorded everything in a vacuum. You knows I needs the helps!"

-Jon

The early Fundrazr people have been sent download links to the songs. Write to admin@747audioworks.com if you have not received you link. We are running a second Fundrazr if you would like to contribute more than $1.49 to the making of new VAST music. Each download will include a weekly email to write feedback to Jon Crosby and a link to vote on which songs you like and don't like. Finally there's a don't like button in this universe!

BUY IT HERE

Thank you for your support,

The VAST Camp

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    On the vote page I rated thusly for this lot:

Again And Again - "Like It" (choice of Like It, It's OK and Don't Like It)
    Noise - "Like It"
    Where'd You Go - "It's OK"

Ranked them best to worst:

1) Noise
    2) Again And Again
    3) Where'd You Go

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Damn:

Hey everyone. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who recently bought the last download. I also wanted to clear up a little confusion...

It may not be clear yet because it's only week one, but we are not going to ask anyone to buy another version of the same song they already bought.

We aren't asking people for money to make an album in the first place, and we aren't asking people for money for demos. We don't ask, we make art and put it on the open market. If you don't want to buy it thats your choice. When people complain about a $1.99 download, I think what they really are saying is that all music should just be free. As far as I'm concerned, it pretty much already is. I can't remember the last time I bought something for less than two dollars. My coffee is over two dollars in downtown Seattle, and that comes from slaves.

After taking four years off from recording, my manager begged me to start releasing music. He begged me to put it out there. I didn't want to because I knew it would be this way. It's the same old shit as before. People just whine and complain that we are charging money for music. I'm not really feeling this whole thing anymore, but I'm going to let my manager continue to release VAST music. He can deal with you guys. I'm over it.

jaimie Guest
    WTF happened? I donated but I actually didn't receive this for some reason but for the record I thought what he was doing was actually really cool.

EDIT: Just realized that was a facebook post. Wow. Jon Crosby is being a baby about something. Shocker.
    Last edited by jaimie; 10-17-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    VAST Works In Progress 2

VAST-WIP-2
    About this item:

1. The Fire of Love
    2. I Want It Back
    3. Kimi
    4. Desperate
    5. They Only Love You When You Die

jaimie Guest
    I absolutely LOVE the concept of what he's doing but haven't had a chance to listen to the tracks yet. I really hope he keeps this up.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    my wife is a huge fan. i've been with her to see them live and it was great! i still haven't given the records a fair shot (i am a casual fan at best, but always enjoy when she puts them on when we clean house, etc.).

i know this is certainly old news, but the use of those 4ad/les mysteres de voix bulgares chants in 'touched' is still, in my book, the most impressive and well excecuted sample.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimie View Post
    I absolutely LOVE the concept of what he's doing but haven't had a chance to listen to the tracks yet. I really hope he keeps this up.
    You can hear them on the YouTube channel now:

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Hello and thank you for your support. Making Evening and Night AKA Works In Progress 3 and 4 are now available for download. The third download includes the songs "Diamonds to Coal", "Burning Desire", "The Thing They Took", and "Something About You Turns Me On". The fourth download includes "Call On Me", "Broken Girl", "Like God" and "Put Your Lips Around My Generation". Between these two downloads and the first two, there are now sixteen songs to vote on and choose from for the making of the new VAST album. You can purchase the songs here:
    Works In Progress 3: http://www.payloadz.com/go?id=2409708
    Works In Progress 4: http://www.payloadz.com/go?id=2409709

"Although I still have more song ideas, the time has come to finnish some music for wide release. I would like to finish two songs right now. One the fans have chosen as a favorite, and one that is my personal favorite. On all the previous VAST albums I recorded most of the music in home studios and went into commercial studios to record what couldn't be done at home. I recorded the vocals for "Touched" in a closet in Los Angeles, but the strings and drums on that song were recorded at a professional studio. I need about two to three days per song in a professional studio to finish songs. Studios run at about $800 a day, so I would like to raise at least $3,200 to finish two songs. I am also going to auction off some music gear next week to raise money."-JC

In this day and age, the audience is the record label. We hope that these sixteen songs have convinced you that VAST is worth supporting and getting behind. Everyone who donates to this new fundraiser (as well as people who participated in the spring fundraiser) will receive the finished versions of the songs. People who buy WIP one through four will also receive free downloads of the two new finished songs.

You can go here to contribute to the VAST studio session fund: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/edjN2/ab/6142n0

VAST

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Cover art for works in progress, although I can't find large versions of 3 and 4 so emailed them:

http://vast.me/worksinprogress.htm

http://buyvastmusic.com/WIP1Large.gif
    Works in Progress 1
    MP3 320KBS
    $1.49
    Again and Again / Noise / Where'd You Go
    http://buyvastmusic.com/WIP2Large.gif
    Works In Progress 2
    MP3 320KBS
    $1.99

They Only Love You When You Die / Kimi / Fire Of Love / Desperate / I Want It Back
    Works In Progress 3
    MP3 320KBS
    $1.99

Diamonds To Coal / Burning Desire / The Thing They Took / Something About You Turns Me On
    Works In Progress 4
    MP3 320KBS
    $1.99

Call On Me / Broken Girl / Like God / Put Your Lips Around My Generation
    Last edited by Ryan; 12-04-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    @jaimie -

Hello and thank you for your support,

The fifth and final "Works In Progress" is now ready for your listening pleasure.

The six songs are "Trail of Tears", "Whisper My Name In Your Heart", "There is No Tomorrow", "It's Time", "I Would Like It", and "No One Could Know".

This completes the project at twenty two songs to choose from for the next VAST album. Go here to download WIP5:

"I really hope that everyone can take the time to vote their mind on these songs. I am going to record the top ten that the listeners choose, and my favorite two of the twelve losers. If only politics were this simple."

-Jon Crosby

Buy It Here: http://www.payloadz.com/go/sip?id=2433206

Vote here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VASTPoll

Happy Holidays and Best wishes,

The VAST Camp

Http://vast.me/worksinprogress.htm

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    "There Is No Tomorrow" is a really gorgeous 6 minute instrumental.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Large artwork for #5 if anyone wants/needs:

http://vast.me/wip5.htm

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://vast.fanbridge.com/campaigns/...9&sid=82530946

VAST - Making Evening and Night

>>

Hello everyone. Last summer I had the idea to take advantage of the interactive nature of the internet and include my audience in the making of the next VAST album. It was a gamble, an experiment, and in my mind mostly just a creative concept. I released my first music after several years in hiding as "Works In Progress" and the first download was made available ten days after my daughter was born. It was a special time for me and now I would like to create a special physical piece to commemorate it by. I'm taking pre-orders now for Works In Progress One Through Five on a double disc CD format. I'm not sure how many people will want this, but I'm creating it anyway because It's something I need to do for myself. I will sign and number each one for you.

US Pre Orders: BUY HERE

International Pre Orders: BUY HERE

Jon Crosby

PS: We might create a special four disc version of this after the album is done. I would like to send that version out to the generous Fundraiser people. This is just a small run CD so If I send them all out for free it's not practical to manufacture it. I'l send a few to the people who donated over $100 though. The people who sent less will most likely get the VAST album and other things for free. We will do our best to make everyone happy.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Hello Everyone. I think I have an idea...

I've written about six new songs since I did the Works In Progress project. I feel like making a new album with these new six songs and adding a few of the songs that didn't make the fan vote. What if I put some of the songs that didn't make the vote on this new album? I will still use the top 14 to 16 fan favorites from WIP on the new VAST album, but there are songs like "Diamonds To Coal" I like the fans didn't seem to get. I would rather put a song like this on my side thing than forget about it. In my mind the WIP is split between rock and electronic anyway, and I see this Jon Crosby album being more electronic. I like "Diamonds To Coal" but I can't imagine playing it on a VAST tour.

>>

Works In Progress on double CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Disk 1 has all the songs you voted on as your favorite and disk 2 has all the rest. );

Hello everyone. Last summer I had the idea to take advantage of the interactive nature of the Internet and include my audience in the making of the next VAST album. It was a gamble, an experiment, and in my mind mostly just a creative concept. I released my first music after several years in hiding as "Works In Progress" and the first download was made available ten days after my daughter was born. It was a special time for me and now I would like to create a special physical piece to commemorate it by. I'm taking pre-orders now for Works In Progress One Through Five on a double-disc CD format. I'm not sure how many people will want this, but I'm creating it anyway because It's something I need to do for myself. I will sign and number each one for you.

US Pre Orders: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...dInternational Pre Orders: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3ANonHosted"

Jon Crosby

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Works In Progress on double CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Disk 1 has all the songs you voted on as your favorite and disk 2 has all the rest. );

Hello everyone. Last summer I had the idea to take advantage of the interactive nature of the Internet and include my audience in the making of the next VAST album. It was a gamble, an experiment, and in my mind mostly just a creative concept. I released my first music after several years in hiding as "Works In Progress" and the first download was made available ten days after my daughter was born. It was a special time for me and now I would like to create a special physical piece to commemorate it by. I'm taking pre-orders now for Works In Progress One Through Five on a double-disc CD format. I'm not sure how many people will want this, but I'm creating it anyway because It's something I need to do for myself. I will sign and number each one for you.

US Pre Orders: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3ANonHosted

International Pre Orders: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3ANonHosted"

Thank you for your support.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.realvast.com/mean.html

AVAILABLE NOW

This is a limited edition album signed and numbered by Jon Crosby. It is a special physical piece to commemorate the experiment of giving fans a sneak peak into the making of the next VAST record, as well as having a role in which songs are recorded. Disc A features songs chosen by the fans and Disc B features other works in progress from October - December 2013.

Domestic US Orders: International Orders:

Disc A:
    1. Again and Again
    2. No One Could Know
    3. Where'd You Go?
    4. It's Time
    5. Like God
    6. Call on Me
    7. The Thing They Took
    8. They Only Love You When You Die
    9. There is No Tomorrow
    10. The Trail of Tears
    11. The Fire of Love

Disc B:
    1. Something About You Turns Me On
    2. Noise
    3. Put Your Lips Around My Generation
    4. Diamonds to Coal
    5. Whisper My Name
    6. Burning Desire
    7. Desperate
    8. I Would Like It
    9. Broken Girl
    10. Kimi
    11. I Want it Back

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    From Jon:

Hey everyone. Since the handwritten lyrics have been going so well, I’ve decided to add a new and interesting perk to my recording fundraiser. I've had this idea for about seven years, so here it goes:

I am offering custom acoustic recordings of any VAST song of your choice. This offer will be available for a limited time, depending on demand. I will shut it down after I reach around one hundred people due to the time it takes to record each one. For $100 I will record one song. If you donate $300 I will record five songs, and and if you donate $500 I will record an album of ten songs just for you.

So to be clear, you can claim just handwritten lyrics, just a song, or handwritten lyrics with a song as well. I am also offering the handwritten lyrics for free to anyone who has donated to a fundraiser in the past, or has waited a long time for their Making Evening and Night CD.

Please go here to partake of this unique project:

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/4wyqa/ab/6142n0

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I love VAST...but it's time for Jon to hang it up. It's unfortunate.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    I love VAST...but it's time for Jon to hang it up. It's unfortunate.
    Not really... the stuff from the Making Evening and Night sessions has been incredible! Just listen to Call On Me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Not really... the stuff from the Making Evening and Night sessions has been incredible! Just listen to Call On Me.
    I could be wrong, as I have found it hard to follow him of late... but it seems like he makes more gimmick ways to make money instead of focusing on putting out new albums... which bugs me. I would love new music.