Page 13 of 263 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    At face value. As I posted a few months back, I think it's totally purposeful.

We all know Maynard can write some killer lyrics, so the lyrics to that song have to be written that way with a reason. My interpretation was that it's a beautiful juxtaposition of blubbering, idiotic lyrics against the backdrop of some of Tool's most complex and hectic music. It's a perfect embodiment of the meaning of the song. There is a world of chaos and terror going nuts in the narrator's brain and he's so overwhelmed by all of it, he can only speak in this rambling jibberish.

I think that song catches a lot of slack because people just hear stupid lyrics and take them as stupid lyrics. E.G. "Maynard singing about Krispy Kremes and Sudafed, really?"

Sorry for this semi-random tangent though, I just can't talk highly enough of that song.
    Yes Rosetta Stoned was my favorite when 10k Days first came out. Very well put regarding the lyrics.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    hey, hands off Faaip! and -Ions for that matter. i wouldn't throw it away, just curious about what do the long-time fans think of those interludes
    Did I say anything bad about them? No, I did not. In context, they're fun. In the iPod shuffle world they're baffling and jarring.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    At face value. As I posted a few months back, I think it's totally purposeful.

We all know Maynard can write some killer lyrics, so the lyrics to that song have to be written that way with a reason. My interpretation was that it's a beautiful juxtaposition of blubbering, idiotic lyrics against the backdrop of some of Tool's most complex and hectic music. It's a perfect embodiment of the meaning of the song. There is a world of chaos and terror going nuts in the narrator's brain and he's so overwhelmed by all of it, he can only speak in this rambling jibberish.

I think that song catches a lot of slack because people just hear stupid lyrics and take them as stupid lyrics. E.G. "Maynard singing about Krispy Kremes and Sudafed, really?"

Sorry for this semi-random tangent though, I just can't talk highly enough of that song.
    I've always seen the lyrics as mocking the people that take everything super-seriously.

Maynard is like a prophet to a lot of people and they won't accept anything less than life-changing from him. I feel like this is Maynard making fun of those people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They are taking their goddamn time as usual, as they are hoping to enter the studio this summer, to begin tracking. So...autumng next year maybe?

http://www.theprp.com/2012/03/18/new...o-this-summer/

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I like how those Vic Firth videos have been up for a month and a half, but no one seemed to notice them until a few days ago.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I like how someone noticing a few random videos on the internet before a few other people feels better about themselves.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like how those Vic Firth videos have been up for a month and a half, but no one seemed to notice them until a few days ago.
    I have a feeling those videos were unlisted before because I posted those videos when Vic Firth first mentioned them (no views before 16th March).

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I like how someone noticing a few random videos on the internet before a few other people feels better about themselves.
    I think you got the wrong intent from my post. I wasn't trying to be snobby. (I hadn't seen those videos before they were posted here, either.) It's just funny, like when someone on Facebook posted a Manson song title in December and no one (including myself) saw it until like February. Funny when someone relatively big, like new album news, slips under everyone's radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    I have a feeling those videos were unlisted before because I posted those videos when Vic Firth first mentioned them (no views before 16th March).
    Ah, well you're probably right then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Yes, because Maurish was falling all over him(her?)self with pride because they posted them.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    CHOOSING THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE GIG

When watching a great basketball player like Larry Bird or Michael Jordan, we see complete, controlled movements. They simply make it look easy. Thus is the case with Progressive metal master-drummer Danny Carey. As he moves in and out of various time signatures, he flows seamlessly. He plays with total control and as he executes one of his many challenging fills – you know, the ones we’re all trying to cop - he does it powerfully and smoothly. After one of his blazing solos, the crowd reacts much the same way. Cheering. Like in sports, endorsement relationships create awareness of a brand by promoting the artist in conjunction with the instruments they use. Choosing the right tool for the job is not only crucial for proper execution, but also for image. The artist’s reputation is associated with this decision, so it’s not to be taken lightly. This is the case with Danny Carey and he takes very seriously what goes out on stage with him. For 20 years, his cymbal of choice has been the Paiste signature series. And now with Tool heading into the studio to create yet another masterpiece, Danny’s signature sound palette will give him just what he needs to paint the picture.

So, you guys are back in writing mode right now?

Yes… Justin, Adam & i are working on some stuff and Maynard will join us in another month or so, once he finishes up with his ‘other band’. We’d like to get in the studio by may or June and hopefully get our new record done by the fall…we’ll see how things go. Right now, we’re throwing riffs around and seeing what feels good. So far, it’s turning out to be a bit more on the heavier side…Adam is really rockin’ out, so it’s exciting.

With playing the odd-meter, polyrhythmic stuff you guys do, how do you work that stuff out?

With our odd-time changes, I try to work out the patterns with different limbs and see what makes sense musically around the kit. I’ll work on 7 against 4…stuff like that and see what fits within the composition. There are times when i don’t even know what time signature it’s in…it’s more about feeling the phrases. I’ll work out groupings of 2s and 3s, feel the pulse and then internalize it and I just feel freer over the top of it. Doing it this way, I can be more a part of the melody and harmony of the song and not just the timekeeper.

What about your band Volto? how’s that going?

Yeah, great…we just got finished tracking and we’re mixing it now with the same guy who mixed the last Tool record. It’s kind of like old 70’s fusion, ala Billy Cobham or Jeff Beck. We’re really excited about it.

You’ve been using the signature series for a long time. I know you have some real favorites.

Some of the first cymbals you gave me, I’m still using. My sound edge hi-hats are killin’ and my ride is still the same 22" dry heavy. It’s gotten better with age and I love how dry it sounds now. It has a great ping and the articulation always comes through nicely with it.

With other projects and recordings you work on, do you change your setup depending?

I pretty much stick with my same setup… I might swap out different sizes of signature crashes, some 20s, etc. I also like the Dark Energys and for me, they have a softer dynamic so that’s a nice color to add in, amidst my sigs. For high volume, the signatures really hold up with my bashing and really match my drums well.

What other projects have you’ve done lately that come to mind?

I did a track recently for Skinny Puppy, which was really fun. It was their “Greater Wrong Of The Right” release. I also filled in briefly for Tobias Ralph with the Adrian Belew Power trio and we co-billed with Tony Levin’s trio. That was really fun! I had to learn 14 tunes really fast, so it was a good challenge for me.

Didn’t you also share some bills with King Crimson in the past too?

Yeah, they opened up for Tool some years ago and i got to play a bit with Pat Mastelotto, which was great. Then, they returned the favor and asked another band i play with – Pigmy Love Circus, to open for them. I got to sit in w/Crimson a few times, which was a total dream-come-true for me, that’s for sure. Since Pat’s a Paiste guy, it was fun to sit in on his kit. He has a really interesting setup and is a great sound-source guy.

When you signed with Paiste, only a few years prior to that, we had introduced the signature line. So, you really began using them 20 years ago!

The first time I heard them, I was floored. Such beautiful overtones and they blend so well with guitars – especially for the stuff I do with Tool. They cut perfectly and do so with such a musical character. I just love them.
    New Danny Carey interview.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Hey! "New," never before heard Tool song? Seriously? Apparently so.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Hey! "New," never before heard Tool song? Seriously? Apparently so.
    So it's located on either the CD, tape or vinyl version of the Aenima award release that's framed?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    That seems to be what they're hinting at, anyway.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    april fools ftw

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Ha, I was just going to post that.

Blair really fucking pisses me off sometimes. Hurts my heart. But good thing I'm drunk, so I can laugh.

But seriously though... Someone find that fucking song.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Just for the record, I was aware it was an April Fools' joke. I just wanted to see how many people fell for it (but then you guys ruined it!!! )

So, wait- you're saying that Lacrymology isn't real?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    They should post an actual new song on this day.

Bunch of sheep asses.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    that quote "we're jamming and planning going to studio mid-summer when Keenan is done with his other band" i could swear i heard back in '09.
    did they simply agree to stick to the story to use it conveniently whenever asked about new material?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Probably....

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    More heavy? Sounds lame .

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Anything to do with Blair and his "updates" gives me a headache.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Anything to do with Blair and his "updates" gives me a headache.
    Probably why I never go to their site. Strikes me as a real troll.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I like Tool but I find them lackluster as opposed to other bands that Mr. Keenan is involved with. I love Puscifer and A Perfect Circle leagues more than I do Tool. I must say I got into Tool before any of the other two (by about a week before APC) but I like them the least.

As for new endeavors, if it's before 4 years after the last album release don't even bother anticipating new music.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-02-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    ANOTHER PROBLEM?

As I mentioned in the latest (expanded) newsletter (click on "newsletter"), while visiting the Tool loft the other day, I saw this on a smaller second Dry-Erase board (containing what appear to be a few mnemonics). I'm not sure what it means, but thought that it was interesting to see THAT title again after all these years. (Also see my post below.)

Intredasting...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Intredasting...
    I just looked at that rubbish a moment before posting.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Fuckin' dicks. Not surprised..

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Yup, complete crap, as always.

With Tool, you just ignore every bit of news they post on their website except for "this is the name of the new album and this is when it comes out." Everything else is just pure trolling.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Yup, complete crap, as always.

With Tool, you just ignore every bit of news they post on their website except for "this is the name of the new album and this is when it comes out." Everything else is just pure trolling.
    You really think they wouldn't, and won't, lie about that too?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Oh, they already did, back before Lateralus came out. I doubt they'd do it again (I can't seem them repeating the same prank twice).

Anyway, the chances are slim on something like that. Official information about the actual album itself (I mean the big announcement) are fine. It's the stupid little crap like this leading up to it that I pretty much ignore. Just assume everything they say is bullshit except album title and/or tour announcements.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tool and Puscifer at the same festival!
    http://www.riversedgemusicfestival.com