Page 346 of 527 FirstFirst ... 246 296 336 344 345 346 347 348 356 396 446 ... LastLast
Results 10,351 to 10,380 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    There's this thing called empathy that some people have which is probably why johnny cash's Hurt didn't just resonate with people who are at deaths door after losing their partner a few months earlier. You know everyone gets old someday
    And what do you think is more relateable? The idea that we are all going to die, which is something none of us can really comprehend and can cause existential crisis starting in your early teens when you start thinking about it when you go to bed, OR
    looking back to your junkie, self-abusing, lonely, depressed self from a whole different perspective? Mind you, said perspective includes another 20 years of experience since the start of your struggles, and includes you being a happily married (let's stick with happy), successful person.

Personally, I think more about my inevitable death, than what am I gonna think about my current or past struggles once I am - if I am, to begin with - settled in life in 15-20 years.

VMOE is a good exception on HM, because that song actually has a big punch and can be interpreted in a more general way, even though it's one of the most addiction-specific song on the record.

I can happily listen to testimonials of people who bettered their life, and reflect on their struggles, great for them!! But I burst out in tears when I see Florence sing with a young child who is going to die in a few weeks. HM's meaning and lyrical content is only strong if you are in some specific situation; otherwise, you can have at least 2 more NIN songs from the past for each song on the record.
    Last edited by Volband; 03-03-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ????? Personally I think inevitable death is much more relatable than looking back on an addictive past? What % of people are genuine drug addicts, i'd say its quite small. Everyone experiences death either through grandparents or parents if you're really unlucky at quite a young age.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    ????? Personally I think inevitable death is much more relatable than looking back on an addictive past? What % of people are genuine drug addicts, i'd say its quite small. Everyone experiences death either through grandparents or parents if you're really unlucky at quite a young age.
    Um... we are saying the same thing

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    You need to be at age to really appreciate most of HM's lyrical content. Half of HM means nothing to me lyrically as a 25 year old, and even though age and experience can and do vary, you've got to be kidding with me, if you'd (you = any person around my age) say While I'm Still Here speaks volumes to you.
    I'm 26 and have crippling depression that has led me to contemplate suicide more times than I wish to admit, so yes, I can very much relate to songs like While I'm Still Here.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Fair enough.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @Volband I tried three separate times to commit suicide in my teen years. I don't have to be 40-something and with kids to relate to the feeling that you'll never get away completely from the plague inside your head. Especially being bipolar, the experience of having a normal or manic phase and then sliding back into depression is an absolute hope-destroying nightmare and becomes so exhausting in its inevitable routine. I find a lot of it to be still relatable and the underlying themes are easy to connect to. In Two is just a classical The Becoming-style narrative. I can see how some people might not connect with all of it literally, but that's part of why I love music -- you don't have to completely word for word relate for something to be powerful or hold meaning.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ...you've got to be kidding with me, if you'd (you = any person around my age) say While I'm Still Here speaks volumes to you. Very nice lyrics, very nice delivery, I do get emotional by that, but no, I am way too young to actually look at couples passing by me as Trent does in the lyrics.
    Hank Williams was 27 when he recorded Weary Blues From Waitin', with the line about watching young lovers walking by that Trent borrowed. Good art can offer different things to us as we change through the years, but I don't think there's a minimum age of admission to appreciate it. I mean, high schoolers reading The Great Gatsby don't yet have the years under their belts to really feel the weight of "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past," but many still love the novel, and their appreciation of the work is not invalid.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Can't argue with those opinions. To me, however, the TDS-TF-WT trio is way ahead of HM. Like, I could pick a better suited song for said feeling from those three records, HM just does it a more calm and collective manner. VMOE is the only exception.

edit: to be fair, I am everything but calm and collective

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguymark View Post
    Hank Williams was 27 when he recorded Weary Blues From Waitin', with the line about watching young lovers walking by that Trent borrowed. Good art can offer different things to us as we change through the years, but I don't think there's a minimum age of admission to appreciate it. I mean, high schoolers reading The Great Gatsby don't yet have the years under their belts to really feel the weight of "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past," but many still love the novel, and their appreciation of the work is not invalid.
    The concept of watching "lovers go by" is relatable to every age if you ask me, if you are young and you don't have anyone or your relationship is in demise and you see people walking around you holding hands, jealousy will settle in. With the context of While I'm Still Here, it seems like it seems to be a song about a man who's relatioship has somehow fallen apart and his life is somehow crashing down and feels their past about to pull them back at any moment. I personaly indentified with pretty much every track from the album and I'm only twenty.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Can't argue with those opinions. To me, however, the TDS-TF-WT trio is way ahead of HM. Like, I could pick a better suited song for said feeling from those three records, HM just does it a more calm and collective manner. VMOE is the only exception.

edit: to be fair, I am everything but calm and collective
    I could point to songs on non-Nine Inch Nails albums that convey those feelings better, but that doesn't invalidate their effect on me.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I could point to songs on non-Nine Inch Nails albums that convey those feelings better, but that doesn't invalidate their effect on me.
    Context matters, however, which is in this case NIN's discography. HM does not give anything to me which I couldn't have found on previous NIN records, except in a better delivery. TDS, TF and WT all have songs about depression, addiction and a search for a sense of purpose.

I can't find a song on HM that doesn't start with the letter "V" which would describe my experience with such things better, than Mr SD, The Becoming, IDNWT, The Big Come Down, Into The Void, ATLITW, TLBTB or RWIB, to name a few songs from those records. And it's even more apparent, when you put the similar themes together, like Closer vs ATL or The Becomng vs In Two. Heresy vs Find My Way is probably the highlight of the record(in terms of callbacks/reflections), because that transition is really exciting and those songs doesn't really compete with each other.

And if I gave a positive shoutout to VMOE, then Disappointed needs to be dragged through the mud. It has Kinda I Want To levels of low effort approach in every regard. Slipping on tears suddenly sounds like Shakespeare compared to Disappointed's "I really don't have a fucking idea what lyrics do I want to pair this song with, but I have to write something, because I made these cool sounds and I want it on the record!". Like, Disappointed is where you draw the line, that even on a minimalistic record like HM, this is not acceptable.

HM kinda feels like cool sounds > actual content. So many songs are just rehashes (=/= new iteration) of older themes or going on to nowhere. The three exceptions are Satellite, Everything and Running, those songs are actually new freakin' Nine Inch Nails for better or worse. However, 2 of those 3 were not even meant for that record, which kinda sums it all up.

The same way I don't think The Slip should have an immunity for criticism just because it was done so fast, so everything you don't like about that record was meant to be and an art, HM should not get away with slacking off compared to the other major releases. Especially after NTAE showed that you can call back to past songs or eras without basing 50% or more of your song on older ones.

Extra minus points for Trent for making it while being neck down in HTDA stuff, because while HM sounds like a very different NIN, I can't just ignore that he already made extremely similar music as his side project, so it was a tried and proved sound, nothing compared to the jumps between the previous big releases, where he always pushed himself in uncharted territories.

I do see the trend of people being in arms together for HM, despite the rather mixed reception it had back then. The opposite started to happen with NTAE, but I am not sure what is the consensus now, as I couldn't keep up with that thread.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Disappointed is actually one of the first songs I really got into on the album, I love the juxtaposition of the beats and Trent's almost show-tune vocals. In fact I love singing it when alone in the house and it's great to dance to. It does get a bit repetetive towards the end though, but it was even beefed up with some piano elements in some European performances which made the ending not drag so much (not sure whether this addition made it to the 2014 US tour, I haven't really watched any videos of that)

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    It's better live, because of the visuals and the non-muddy vocals. Still won't understand how anyone can like the album version, let alone get hooked by it There are HTDA songs more NIN, than Disappointed.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The Idea of You and Burning Bright are two of NIN's greatest songs ever. They're both just that good.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's better live, because of the visuals and the non-muddy vocals. Still won't understand how anyone can like the album version, let alone get hooked by it
    nope, still sucks to me; have a hard time to make it through the entire video

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I wonder whatever happened to that greatest hits album that resulted in Hesitation Marks. I thought it was a contractual thing so surely Trent has to do it eventually right?
    Not that we really need one - we have the whole Definitive NIN thing - but I'm somewhat curious what he would have put on it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    For the longest time, "The Wretched" was my #1 NIN track. Now it's a three-way tie between that, "Ruiner," and "Heresy."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    The Idea of You and Burning Bright are two of NIN's greatest songs ever. They're both just that good.
    They rival TDS/Hurt, Beside You In Time/Right Where It Belongs, In This Twilight/Zero-Sum, and While I'm Still Here/Black Noise for my favorite last 2 songs on a NIN record.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i wish my memory of the salt lake sound check was vivid. It was so rad. i remember reznor asking us to stand back to see the "smashing" of the screen.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    For the longest time, "The Wretched" was my #1 NIN track. Now it's a three-way tie between that, "Ruiner," and "Heresy."
    I've always wondered what could make Heresy someone's favorite song. I like how it's heavy (duh...) and I don't mnd the edgy lyrics in the chorus, but after 2 minutes it just gets too repetitive. It kinda lacks the evolution which other longer NIN songs had on TDS.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I've always wondered what could make Heresy someone's favorite song. I like how it's heavy (duh...) and I don't mnd the edgy lyrics in the chorus, but after 2 minutes it just gets too repetitive. It kinda lacks the evolution which other longer NIN songs had on TDS.
    Many repetitveness in the latter half is made up by the sheer awesomeness of the first half. I mean, that opening beat alone . . .

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    it's so awesome that michael jackson liked tds. i know janet does, too (spotify playlists). huge fan of both.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    So many songs are just rehashes (=/= new iteration) of older themes or going on to nowhere.
    You've pretty much described every Nine Inch Nails album since Broken.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 03-05-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    While I'm Still Here/Black Noise on the Tension tour remains one of the greatest things I have ever seen live.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm just now realizing how much I LOVE Discipline, Beside You In Time, and Ringfinger. How did they just pass me by???

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Macbeth View Post
    I'm just now realizing how much I LOVE Discipline, Beside You In Time, and Ringfinger. How did they just pass me by???

All 3 are amazing. When BYIT kicks in around the 3:50 mark? (I think) and Ringfingers ending. Oh man

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Macbeth View Post
    Yes good. Soon you will realize the other underrated gems

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    A Catholic upbringing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Slowly getting one of my friends into some NIN stuff - I've been recommending random tracks from the Definitive NIN playlists she seems to prefer stuff from the Quiet one. Her favorites so far has been And All That Could Have Been which surprised me a little and the Still version of The Becoming.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just watched the video for Deep for the first time since around 2007 when I first got into Nine Inch Nails. That... was definitely an experience.