Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Rasputina

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Rasputina

Rasputina is one of my favorite bands of all time and I'm surprised we haven't a thread already, as Chris Vrenna produced and served as the drummer/percussionist for their second album, How We Quit the Forest. His presence created a fascinating dichotomy of industrial rock aesthetics and cello music.
    Rasputina is a gimmicky band, but the gimmick has somehow held up.

I received a mailing list email from Melora awhile back asking for my physical address and saying she is considering to switching to actual mail.
    And today I got an email saying that the eighth Rasputina album is now available, but you can ONLY order it through the mail (as in you have to send off for it) and it's vinyl only.
    And I don't have a fucking record player! This is adorably quirky, but also very frustrating.

Anyway, who else likes this band? How many times have you seen them? What are your favorite albums and songs?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Found out about them via Vrenna and Marilyn Manson camp involvement? I think Twiggy was a guest? I know they did a Tourniquet cover.

Only thing that sticks out to me title wise is Transylvanian Concubine. Think there was a MM remix?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Yo! Saw them once almost 20 years ago, filmed the whole show (and only semi recently got the tape converted to dvd), got to meet Melora backstage and take a pic even! I kinda lost track of them for awhile when I thought the albums were getting too weird and less songy, if that makes any sense. Gave some of the newer albums a spin and they grew on me. Debating whether or notI should bother obtaining a money order for this new album or just hope it gets uploaded somewhere, somehow.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Yeah, I knew them from finding the "Transylvanian Concubine (Yes Sir, Mr Sir Mix) (Club Mix)" by Beavan and Manson

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i've seen them live twice (once at a free show in millennium park a couple years back, once at the double door, both with my wife who also loves them). melora is the only constant member but never puts out anything bad.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I really loved So Long and Thanks for the Ether, and How We Escaped the Forest. Everything after that loses me, and I think it's on a production level.
    Even those early albums allowed for their indulgence, but they seemed to reign them in and frame what they were doing in an interesting way. After that it seemed to just get to be kind of a shitshow of loose concepts failing to understand how to present their talent.

Early on, they knew how to harness the drama club theatrics, and made concepts that might seem maudlin actually WORK.

Last edited by Jinsai; 07-23-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I love TFTE and HWQTF, but I also get a big ass kick out of Frustration Plantation and Cabin Fever.
    I've seen them three times and managed to chat with Melora twice.
    This may be my favorite song by anyone:
    @Jinsai , after How We Quit the Forest, I think Melora started producing herself and it showed a little bit on Cabin Fever. But I think she got better at it.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-26-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Btw, @Jinsai , as far as I know, there is no Rasputina album called So Long. And I'm a, how you say, superfan. If this project DOES exist and I've somehow missed it, please turn me on to it!

Edit:OH! Are you remembering Thanks for the Ether as "So Long and Thanks for the Ether?" Like you remembered "How We Quit the Forest" as "How We ESCAPED the Forest?"
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-21-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Btw, @Jinsai , as far as I know, there is no Rasputina album called So Long. And I'm a, how you say, superfan. If this project DOES exist and I've somehow missed it, please turn me on to it!

Edit:OH! Are you remembering Thanks for the Ether as "So Long and Thanks for the Ether?" Like you remembered "How We Quit the Forest" as "How We ESCAPED the Forest?"
    maybe it's a reference to "so long, and thanks for all the fish!" hahaha

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rasputina is one of my favorite bands of all time and I'm surprised we haven't a thread already, as Chris Vrenna produced and served as the drummer/percussionist for their second album, How We Quit the Forest. His presence created a fascinating dichotomy of industrial rock aesthetics and cello music.

I received a mailing list email from Melora awhile back asking for my physical address and saying she is considering to switching to actual mail.
    And today I got an email saying that the eighth Rasputina album is now available, but you can ONLY order it through the mail (as in you have to send off for it) and it's vinyl only.
    And I don't have a fucking record player! This is adorably quirky, but also very frustrating.

Anyway, who else likes this band? How many times have you seen them? What are your favorite albums and songs?
    She did later make it available on her website because people don't know how to send money orders. I did order a copy and plan on ripping it when I receive it.

I've seen Rasputina 13 times. It's been a few years since I've been to a show. I was going to see them this summer before they canceled the tour.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

https://rasputina.com/new-album-on-cd/

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    Holy shit dude, I was JUST coming here to post that link

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I got The Feel-Good Hits of 1817 on CD in the mail the other day. Here's the tracklist, as best I could decipher it from the inside/back.

01 Behind Blue Eyes
    02 Over at the Frankenstein Place
    03 Videogames
    04 God Knows I'm Good
    05 Sweet Love, I Will No More Abuse Thee
    06 Wayfaring Stranger
    07 A Bit Longer
    08 Kingdom of Ovid
    09 All He Ever Wanted
    10 Flow My Tears
    11 Spirit of Wallis Simpson

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Still waiting on the vinyl

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsrib View Post
    I got The Feel-Good Hits of 1817 on CD in the mail the other day. Here's the tracklist, as best I could decipher it from the inside/back.

01 Behind Blue Eyes
    02 Over at the Frankenstein Place
    03 Videogames
    04 God Knows I'm Good
    05 Sweet Love, I Will No More Abuse Thee
    06 Wayfaring Stranger
    07 A Bit Longer
    08 Kingdom of Ovid
    09 All He Ever Wanted
    10 Flow My Tears
    11 Spirit of Wallis Simpson
    how is it???

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Melora just posted on Facebook and referenced her "newest recording that hardly anyone knows about: None but the Lonely Heart." Apparently it was briefly available in February on rasputina.com for $13. Did anyone manage to purchase a copy? I missed this one unfortunately.

None but the Lonely Heart cover
    https://i.imgur.com/2QE64MN.jpg

Another version of the cover
    https://i.imgur.com/gfCcAXE.jpg

Back
    https://i.imgur.com/ojLlZbr.jpg
    Last edited by adamsrib; 03-06-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsrib View Post
    Melora just posted on Facebook and referenced her "newest recording that hardly anyone knows about: None but the Lonely Heart." Apparently it was briefly available in February on rasputina.com for $13. Did anyone manage to purchase a copy? I missed this one unfortunately.

None but the Lonely Heart cover
    https://i.imgur.com/2QE64MN.jpg

Another version of the cover
    https://i.imgur.com/gfCcAXE.jpg

Back
    https://i.imgur.com/ojLlZbr.jpg
    I just got mine in the mail yesterday!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BgAbx8ahyB0/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks a lot. I ordered a copy

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Well goddamn.
    They did a 20th anniversary tour for TFTE in 2016 that i'm just now fucking reading about.

Maybe they might do the same for HWQTF later this year?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm beginning to think that I should write something to check rasputina.com daily and email me if anything changes; seems I missed out on that Feel-Good Hits of 1817 album from a few years ago, and the None but the Lonely Heart album that came after. (edit: oh sheesh, and another one from January?) Alas!

It looks like those two have made it onto youtube, seemingly in full, in case anyone else would like to give 'em a listen:
    Feel-Good Hits: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...vvAY8PoLHhs3y0
    None But: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PDeU-dOCtj0J71

As always with Youtube, I'd expect those to eventually mysteriously disappear. Anyone know of a less lossy source for either of those which doesn't require registration on shady-looking sites? Hopefully Melora will provide another opportunity to pay money for these again, at some point. Perhaps I'll eventually be able to catch one of those real rare mini-tours...
    Last edited by xolotl; 05-27-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I definitely have all the cds, unfortunately they're in storage right now. But I'll try to remember when I move to get you the files.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I definitely have all the cds, unfortunately they're in storage right now. But I'll try to remember when I move to get you the files.
    Ah groovy, thanks! No rush, of course. Quite pleasant, from what I've heard so far!