Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Alien: Covenant

Last edited by onthewall2983; 05-14-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I'm so pumped for this. Love the the one-word tagline. Perfect! The expectations are gonna be so high but if there's one person who can deliver, it's Ridley Scott.
    Can't wait for the trailer.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    if there's one person who can deliver, it's Ridley Scott.
    Can't wait for the trailer.
    This could be argued

Looking forward to it. Hopes high. It will be interesting to see Kenny Powers in a legit Alien movie.

"I can fly this spaceship faster than fuck"

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    This could be argued

Looking forward to it. Hopes high. It will be interesting to see Kenny Powers in a legit Alien movie.

Scott's resume isn't perfect but when start looking at some of the movies he directed like Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, American Gangster, Prometheus & The Martian, it's not too shabby.
    But yeah, he directed GI Jane and a few other duds.

Time will tell.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Scott's resume isn't perfect but when start looking at some of the movies he directed like Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, American Gangster, Prometheus & The Martian, it's not too shabby.
    But yeah, he directed GI Jane and a few other duds.

Time will tell.
    You're right. He has nothing left to prove after Alien and Blade Runner. All other movie's Ive seen of his prove that he's a perfectly serviceable director. I think I'm in the minority but I even really enjoyed The Counselor. I guess Prometheus left a bad taste in my mouth, which might be more Lindelof's fault.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    It will be interesting to see Kenny Powers in a legit Alien movie.

Dude, that made me laugh more than I expected.

I honestly don't know what to expect with this movie and I kinda like that.
    I'm going in blind, and maybe I'll watch a teaser and the first trailer but that's it.

I understand why people didn't like Prometheus but I enjoyed it for what it was and saw it as a chance to see the origins of the Alien race.
    I loved the cinematography and the settings in Prometheus, it was gorgeous.
    If we get more of that with an excellent story then it will be phenomenal and everything I want in Aliens covenant.

It's impossible to replicate how good Alien and Aliens was and I don't expect that for this film.
    If anyone tries it would fail, in my opinion.

I want something new and fresh, Prometheus did this to an extent. Some of it failed but at least to me it was good enough and better than the AVP movies.

I'm one of the odd people that actually prefers Alien over Aliens (just like Terminator over Terminator 2).
    I have faith that Ridley Scott will deliver.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    You're right. He has nothing left to prove after Alien and Blade Runner. All other movie's Ive seen of his prove that he's a perfectly serviceable director. I think I'm in the minority but I even really enjoyed The Counselor. I guess Prometheus left a bad taste in my mouth, which might be more Lindelof's fault.
    Damon Lindelof has said that most of his job on Prometheus was to take dictation from Ridley on the changes he wanted to make to Jon Spaihts' original script (which was a direct Alien prequel). I actually wonder if the reason Ridley's films have been so patchy in recent years (haven't seen The Counselor so can't comment) is because he's been taking a crack at the storyline. He didn't have a hand in it for Blade Runner as far as I know, and certainly didn't for Alien.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Prometheus for all its faults was a feast for the eyes, I saw it four times in 3d on the biggest Imax in Europe. Although that said, I don't think I ever watched the blu Ray

But the prospect of seeing full alien trilogy style visuals with a Prometheus level of power behind it is tantalising

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    More leaked photos. Those "temple steps", chilling.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I want to love this film...I really do. I hope it's good. But all the Twitter reactions talking about how gory the trailer supposedly is really, really has me worried.

Sure, that very first chestbursting scene is the stuff of unforgettable cinematic history, but...that was only the tip of the iceberg as to what made the original few films great, you know? I need good characters and not just walking idiot meatsacks waiting to die, which I felt was a tremendous problem with Prometheus...hell, maybe every Alien/AVP film going back to Resurrection. Track record hasn't been great. I need this to be more than a gorefest.

Rumors are there's a morose take on a classic Bowie song in the trailer.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I hear it's "Space Oddity".

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I hear it's "Magic Dance".

that's more like it.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    that's more like it.
    I would like that as well....

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    A Jim Henson chestburster dancing around and flailing its little arms would be just precious, I say.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    A Jim Henson chestburster dancing around and flailing its little arms would be just precious, I say.
    This is from Mad magazine's parody of Alien 'way back when:

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Well, it looks good, but that was never an issue with Alien films. I get the feeling they are trying to evoke the first Alien and I'm not sure this is a good thing. Wouldn't want to see a scene by scene recreation, like a soft reboot or something. On the other hand I realise there are only so many ways you can do Alien so I guess we'll see. This time around I'll keep my expectations way low.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Did they just show a chestburster bursting through man's back instead of chest? And yeah, have the film suddenly became Alien 1 remake?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Doesn't look like they are re-inventing the wheel does it.

I thought the backburster man looked more like he was infected by spoors rather than a chestburster. Like in Prometheus.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    As a fan, I'm glad they are sneaky, creepy and silent again. For the first time since 1986.

Cool reference to that tail shot and Lambert's (actually Brett's) death scene. We'll see about the rest.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    That trailer was fine. It showed just enough to have me excited about the whole thing without giving too much away.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The trailer shows us what we expect to see: xenomorphs. All we know about the actual story is that a ship goes down on a planet and people get infected. It's what we don't know that I find intriguing: who are these people? Why are they there? Do they know about those pesky little buggers? How the heck did David got his head reattached to his body?

I really hope this movie will give us more background about the mythology.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I really wanted this film to be about Shaw on rampage kicking some Engineer ass.
    How much screen time do ya'll think she gets in this film?
    Last edited by fillow; 12-25-2016 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    looks pretty amazing but I am very worried as to the Engineers and if they will appear at all in this film just like Shaw, My fear is they are merely footnotes in this, other than that I can't wait for Fassbender to return as David and the variety of creatures in this.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Ugh... I'm a little disappointed (of course I'll see it opening night and I'm very curious).

Worried about, honestly, the quality of the writing, which is what killed Prometheus for me. Worried about the shower sex scene with the xenomorph putting its tail in the shower, worried about the "we don't know what the fuck is going on" conversation with the captain (to me, it suggests that they are doing something that is a stupid decision) and I hated the black dirt flying into the guy's ear! Jesus!

Just like with Prometheus, Fassbender's character(s) are the exciting part, and the cast in general is pretty good!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The first half of the trailer had me intrigued, but the last half just seemed very cheese... especially that stupid shower scene. I really hope Shaw, and the Mythos doesn't get lost in flashbacks and cryptic nonsense.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    im all in, mainly because its an Alien movie that is not in the middle of an american suburb. Screw everyone involved in Avp, Avp2.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm surprised at the worried reaction to this trailer. I am personally excited at the possibility of xenomorph hijinx outdoors in the forest setting. I don't believe we have seen that before. I also like that this story is happening on a planet that isn't a windy desert wasteland.

I am curious how long after the events of Prometheus this story takes place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I hope the movie has the "soul" of Alien 1 (complex characters, suspense...), I think Scott has enough material for it. However, I'm curious to know what's happens after Prometheus: Shaw surviving in the void? Maybe David is another synthetic of the same model. Also very curious about how Ridley will hook Covenant with Alien 1.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trento View Post
    I hope the movie has the "soul" of Alien 1 (complex characters, suspense...), I think Scott has enough material for it. However, I'm curious to know what's happens after Prometheus: Shaw surviving in the void? Maybe David is another synthetic of the same model. Also very curious about how Ridley will hook Covenant with Alien 1.
    I'd guess we see/hear some kind of "signing off" last report from Elizabeth Shaw at some point, and maybe a body. Noomi Rapace is by far the biggest outstanding thread from Prometheus (head-David aside), but it's pretty clear she doesn't have a major role.

Going to assume she died in transit, with the ship either lacking food and water or Shaw lacking the knowledge to obtain them/activate a stasis pod. She'd have time to record a log in some form, maybe dictated to head-David, which would ensure *something* comes of Prometheus' rambling plotline and it wasn't just an opportunity to show the audience some pretentious bollocks about black goo.