Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Confessions

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    fair points. but damn do I love those UK-exclusive mixes. self-destruction 3 is an absolute banger.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    In high school I used to say that Trent Reznor was the only man I'd have sex with.
    Dude, I have heard people say this SO GODDAMN MUCH in the 90s when NIN were at their height. I'm actually gay, and a huge nine inch nails fan and I was zero attracted to Trent in the 90's.

Now burly and bearded Trent on the other hand...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I can't believe anyone would pick the US version of Further over the UK. Madness!

These are ESSENTIAL. Completely different approaches to both songs, looked at in a much different light. And they have so much going on in them!!!

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    No love for the Japanese CD of Further Down the Spiral? It's basically just the UK version but with "Reptilian" tacked on the end; remains my favourite nonetheless.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I thought about the the US/UK editions the other day (while daydreaming about a potential vinyl release for FDTS lol), I will say the US version is more coherent, but the UK has the better remixes.

Some thoughts... The Ruiner and Heresy mixes rank in the top 5 remixes for sure. Self Destruction Part 3 can easily replace part two (which in all honesty, is a shorter version of the "final" mix)

I really like "The Beauty of Being Numb" and the way it segues into "Erased, Over, Out" (which is the perfect closing track). The Live version of Hurt feels a bit out of place since it's not a remix, but the way it slams into "At the Heart of It All" is pretty awesome.

When the vinyl version happens, hopefully all of the tracks are integrated somehow (much like how they did the Year Zero Remixed vinyl)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    Dude, I have heard people say this SO GODDAMN MUCH in the 90s when NIN were at their height. I'm actually gay, and a huge nine inch nails fan and I was zero attracted to Trent in the 90's.

Now burly and bearded Trent on the other hand...
    right? everything you just said.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    I thought about the the US/UK editions the other day (while daydreaming about a potential vinyl release for FDTS lol), I will say the US version is more coherent, but the UK has the better remixes.

Some thoughts... The Ruiner and Heresy mixes rank in the top 5 remixes for sure. Self Destruction Part 3 can easily replace part two (which in all honesty, is a shorter version of the "final" mix)

I really like "The Beauty of Being Numb" and the way it segues into "Erased, Over, Out" (which is the perfect closing track). The Live version of Hurt feels a bit out of place since it's not a remix, but the way it slams into "At the Heart of It All" is pretty awesome.

When the vinyl version happens, hopefully all of the tracks are integrated somehow (much like how they did the Year Zero Remixed vinyl)
    Yep, all of this, although I really don't see why "Erased, Over, Out" needed to be six fucking minutes of the same thing over and over.

BTW, my ideal Halo 10DE vinyl sequence looks like this.

Side A
    Piggy (NCSMN)
    Self Destruction 1
    Self Destruction 2

Side B
    Self Destruction 3
    The Downward Spiral (The Bottom)
    Hurt (Quiet) -- use the cold ending from the promo single, motherfucker!

Side C
    Heresy (Version)
    Hurt (Live)
    At the Heart of It All

Side D
    Eraser (Denial; Realization)
    Self Destruction (Final)

Side E
    Ruiner (Version)
    Eraser (Polite)
    Reptilian

Side F
    The Beauty of Being Numb
    Erased, Over, Out (12-minute extended version lol)

Double gatefold like the Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D vinyl, with printed sleeves duplicating the additional artwork from Halo 7 & 9.
    Last edited by botley; 08-22-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

NIN Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yep, all of this, although I really don't see why "Erased, and Over, Out" needed to be six fucking minutes of the same thing over and over.

BTW, my ideal Halo 10DE vinyl sequence looks like this.
    Here's mine. It gets rid of the two extra Thirwell mixes of MSD because they're both a fun trip into an industrial netherworld and also kinda redundant (that's my confession), and I'm always gonna take Coil over Foetus. "Final" has all the elements you really need. It alternates between giving preference to the V1 and V2 running orders based on flow and side limits, though side D exceeds 20 minutes by a minute, but parts of Numb are unusually quiet by NIN standards (ahem, Aphex standards) so it could work.

A
    1 Piggy (NCSMN)
    2 Self Destruction 1
    3 Heresy (Version)

B
    TDS (The Bottom)
    Hurt (Live)
    Eraser (Denial; Realization)

C
    At The Heart of It All
    Eraser (Polite)
    Ruiner (Version)

D
    Self Destruction, Final
    The Beauty of Being Numb
    Erased, Over, Out
    Last edited by Pbgut; 08-24-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i am really considering the road trip to The Riot Fest. The line up is haunting me.....

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I can't believe anyone would pick the US version of Further over the UK. Madness!

These are ESSENTIAL. Completely different approaches to both songs, looked at in a much different light. And they have so much going on in them!!!
    This is probably my favorite TDS era mix, and a damn shame it wasn't on the us version.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I just spent over 2 hours PMing with a complete stranger about NIN (long story short I mod a Twitch streamer's chat, and they messaged me asking for recommendations). It's after 5am now.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I no longer have a copy of With Teeth on CD that will successfully rip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Surely that shit is cheap right now?

For my confession I have this - when I first heard The Fragile I only really liked TDTWWA, Starfuckers and TGB. It took me ages to return to the album and appreciate it. Similar experience with AHWITHAH TEETHAH but I warmed to TF quicker. The first time I bought and listened to WT I literally listened to it once the whole way through and thought I only liked ONLY and THTF.
    I explored TF a little more and begrudgingly started to like the beats in WIE, Into The Void and the title track.
    I just find it hard to reconcile how little artistic merit I saw in those albums the first time I listened to them. I guess I can chalk it up to being 16 / 17 and being introduced to NIN via HLAH, MOTP, Closer, Wish and Mr Self Destruct. - This was 2006

Also, nothing can compare to how I felt when listening to Mr Self Destruct and Ruiner for the first time.
    TDS made me fall in love with NIN because I did NOT know that that was what music could sound like. I loved Black Sabbath, The Ramones, Motley Crue and Madonna (most of which I still listen to but nowhere near as much as NIN) at the time, but it was genuinely like losing my virginity when hearing that album for the first time. It changed my perception of music; of what it could sound like, what it could mean and what was possible to express through music, sounds, noise and vocal tics.
    Last edited by jubilee; 08-26-2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: more

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee View Post

Also, nothing can compare to how I felt when listening to Mr Self Destruct and Ruiner for the first time.
    I will never forget the feeling as Mr. Self Destruct kicked in. It's indescribable. When it all cut back to that whisper of "You let me do this to you, I am an exit," and then it exploded back up again, I felt like I was handling something way beyond what music was supposed to or allowed to be, and that ascendant "Duhhhh, duh, duh, DUHHHHHHH" in the choruses to Ruiner felt like everything wrong in the world winning, like the darkness inside of people in general was celebrating its victory. It was dramatic and intense and I'd never felt so wrapped into something before. I can never get enough of those songs or that album in general, and while The Fragile is an absolute sprawling piece of beauty, TDS is still the one I can listen to at almost any time and sit the whole way through. It really feels like they were playing with fire in the studio and knew it and instead of being extra cautious, Trent added gasoline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I will never forget the feeling as Mr. Self Destruct kicked in. It's indescribable. When it all cut back to that whisper of "You let me do this to you, I am an exit," and then it exploded back up again, I felt like I was handling something way beyond what music was supposed to or allowed to be, and that ascendant "Duhhhh, duh, duh, DUHHHHHHH" in the choruses to Ruiner felt like everything wrong in the world winning, like the darkness inside of people in general was celebrating its victory. It was dramatic and intense and I'd never felt so wrapped into something before. I can never get enough of those songs or that album in general, and while The Fragile is an absolute sprawling piece of beauty, TDS is still the one I can listen to at almost any time and sit the whole way through. It really feels like they were playing with fire in the studio and knew it and instead of being extra cautious, Trent added gasoline.
    - The first time I heard this "noise" - for lack of a better word I felt like I was on top of a world of destruction I had created - I couldn't believe music could make you feel this way, I mean it's also due to the album as a while and the songs place on the album but honestly that part in particular blew the doors off what I thought music could be. It's so powerful, unapologetic and demanding. The way you described the song is perfect, it's so imperfect as a track - the wildly whiney guitar solo goes some way to telling of the agony inside a person that I couldn't help but feel that this artist had channeled my teenage angst directly into a guitar.

- The Fragile is indulgent in terms of listening as it takes a while to get through and it asks a lot of the listener if you are to truly appreciate it but TDS is, to me, the only NIN album I can sit through in its entirety at any time despite my mood, mind-set or circumstance. Where TF may benefit from a slightly optimistic mindset during a depressive episode, TDS can be enjoyed to its fullest during the most negative mindsets as well as the most positive. I'm rambling I know but I'm enjoying it.
    Last edited by jubilee; 08-26-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Just echoing these statements about TDS changing perceptions of what music could be or encompass. It had the same effect on me. A similar thing also happened when I first heard Ten by Pearl Jam, because I'd never heard that kind of raw, naked emotion in music before.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Just echoing these statements about TDS changing perceptions of what music could be or encompass. It had the same effect on me. A similar thing also happened when I first heard Ten by Pearl Jam, because I'd never heard that kind of raw, naked emotion in music before.
    "Release" got me the first time I heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
    Surely that shit is cheap right now?
    I already own 4 copies...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    was at a pool party last night. lots to drink. started talking music festivals (was in Indio)
    craziness surrounding Riot Fest
    lost virginity to New Order
    first orgasm to NIN
    it seemed strange to me that i was the only person there with a soundtrack to some unforgettable firsts...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I really disliked both "Piggy" and "Down In It" until I saw them live.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I no longer skip "The Background World" when the loop starts, unless I'm driving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I listen to a self-created NIN playlist on Spotify. It's basically every halo that's available and a few extras. I like to put it on shuffle and whenever The Frail comes on, I have to turn off shuffle so I can hear The Wretched. I can listen to The Wretched on its own, but never the The Frail by itself.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i think i recognized a cpl musicians at the Bakersfield show this last summer (in crowd, etc).
    i will never know. i'm usually not one to confront, at such moments, unless I'm really sure-
    and even then i weigh the situation.
    some things seem to play out way too awkward in my own head.
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 09-18-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eichalvindore View Post
    i think i recognized a cpl musicians at the Bakersfield show this last summer (in crowd, etc).
    i will never know. i'm usually not one to confront, at such moments, unless I'm really sure-
    and even then i weigh the situation.
    some things seem to play out way too awkward in my own head.
    i saw Omar from At The Drive-In waiting in line for a gyro at riot fest but i left him alone. i just thought it was hilarious that he was wearing a black suit jacket, black slacks, and a black shirt while it was in the mid-80°s outside.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slammy79 View Post
    I listen to a self-created NIN playlist on Spotify. It's basically every halo that's available and a few extras. I like to put it on shuffle and whenever The Frail comes on, I have to turn off shuffle so I can hear The Wretched. I can listen to The Wretched on its own, but never the The Frail by itself.
    While "Siamese tracks" are awesome, it is precisely this reason that I have a love-hate relationship with them.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slammy79 View Post
    I can listen to The Wretched on its own, but never the The Frail by itself.
    OMG, this is pretty much me as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Huh. I am the complete opposite, can and have listened to The Frail on it's own, don't think I've ever heard The Wretched w/o it, not even once.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The first NIN song to make me cry was “Right Where it Belongs.” I remember listening to it back in 2008 in my dorm while lying on my bunk in the dark. This was during the week that I first started exploring Trent’s catalogue. The moment the final verse kicked in with the crowd cheering, I immediately got goosebumps and started to tear up.

The second time was after listening to “And All That Could Have Been” immediately after being dumped.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i finally burned my AV digital download to a CD to play in my car...
    i will finally get to listen to my purchase for the first time on new road trip!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eichalvindore View Post
    i finally burned my AV digital download to a CD to play in my car...
    i will finally get to listen to my purchase for the first time on new road trip!

I tried this too. For me, it didn't transfer well and tends to clip at high volume. I decided I'll just wait for a properly mastered CD release.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinata89 View Post
    I tried this too. For me, it didn't transfer well and tends to clip at high volume. I decided I'll just wait for a properly mastered CD release.
    That will be limited to 300,000 copies and will cost $35 and will come in a cardboard clipcase with no booklet.