Page 108 of 160 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 158 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    I think less of people who like With Teeth.

that is all...
    What about people who love With Teeth?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I love With Teeth. You think less of me?

As Trent would say, "Suck my entire dick."

::slurp::

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I love With Teeth. You think less of me?

As Trent would say, "Suck my entire dick."

::slurp::
    Sometimes I wonder if I rank WT as high as I do because it was the first new release after I became a huge NIN fan, or if it's because I genuinely enjoy it.
    Then I realize I enjoy it, doesn't matter why, and move on.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    I think less of people who like With Teeth.

that is all...
    Every year I like With Teeth more. It has absolutely brilliant instrumentation and complex laying, not to mention a very cold, sterile feeling that none of the albums before or since have been comparable to.

I think its catchy lyrics and pop melodies give it a bad rep amongst the fan base, but musically it's a great album. If you haven't already, you should try listening to the instrumental version and see if you still dislike it.
    Last edited by zecho; 05-25-2018 at 12:30 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Every year I like With Teeth more. It has absolutely brilliant instrumentation and complex laying, not to mention a very cold, sterile feeling that none of the albums before or since have been comparable to.

I think its catchy lyrics and pop melodies give it a bad rep amongst the fan base, but musically it's a great album. If you haven't already, you should try listening to the instrumental version and see if you still dislike it.
    I've always thought the same thing. I get this cold, weird feeling from that album that I don't from any other by them

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Besides You In Time is definitely in my top 10 NIN tracks ever. The live version is so powerful.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Besides You In Time is definitely in my top 10 NIN tracks ever. The live version is so powerful.
    When I saw them in Cardiff in 2014 they played Hand Covers Bruise segueing into Beside You in Time which was incredible

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Conversely, I always felt that it was a continuation of the stripped-back, raw sound from Still, albeit with more of a rock band feel.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    I've always thought the same thing. I get this cold, weird feeling from that album that I don't from any other by them
    I think we’re all describing the same feeling. I always described the sound as plastic and bouncy.

Maybe because after you quit drugs and alcohol, there is a period if time where you feel sterile and “fresh”...
    Last edited by Victor Newman; 05-25-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    When I saw them in Cardiff in 2014 they played Hand Covers Bruise segueing into Beside You in Time which was incredible
    Wow, did not know this pair was played like that. Listening to it now. Thanks.

WITH TEETH was the album that got me into NIN. So I am slightly biased, but it is a solid electro-rock album with some of NIN's best songs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if this is controversial to say, but at this point the only NIN anything that I actively dislike is probably Big Man With a Gun. I get what the song is going for, but it's just a little too gross and just not all that interesting sounding IMO.

Aside from that, I really like if not LOVE pretty much everything else. I have been thoroughly and completely brainwashed since 2002.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frothy_ham View Post
    I'm not sure if this is controversial to say, but at this point the only NIN anything that I actively dislike is probably Big Man With a Gun. I get what the song is going for, but it's just a little too gross and just not all that interesting sounding IMO.

Aside from that, I really like if not LOVE pretty much everything else. I have been thoroughly and completely brainwashed since 2002.
    i actually really like the music in "big man with a gun" but i feel you on the lyrics.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Only heard the live audio recording of that and it sounded fucking amazing! Trent seriously needs to bring that back permanently.

When I saw them during the With Teeth tour at Madison Square Garden and he "smashes" the screen after the build up and it looks like it shatters, the crowd went apeshit. It aas spine tingling.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Pinion+Mr self destruct are the best live openers. Where the fuck is the further down the spiral footage that Trent decided not to release?!?!?!?!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    For me it's post-Year Zero as I love With Teeth and was left disappointed with Year Zero. That was my beginning of the end.
    Nice reference. Either way I think quite the opposite. I think Year Zero and Niggy Tardust both show TR at his peak. Year Zero probably gets the most current listens of any of his catalog.

My current CO: I wish TR would just make Mariqueen a permanent member of NIN, and let her do the lead vocals from now on. I feel like the HTDA's material has aged really well and new NIN could really benefit from her voice.
    Last edited by HurtinMinorKey; 05-25-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Nice reference. Either way I think quite the opposite. I think Year Zero and Niggy Tardust both show TR at his peak. Year Zero probably gets the most current listens of any of his catalog.

My current CO: I wish TR would just make Mariqueen a permanent member of NIN, and let her do the lead vocals from now on. I feel like the HTDA's material has aged really well and new NIN could really benefit from her voice.
    Damn, that's bold as fuck. I wouldn't be opposed to hearing some NIN turned into duets, just to see how it feels...

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    please no. it would "feel" like htda.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    At that point I hope they try anything and everything, venturing in their wildest ideas. So why not. It would "feel" good.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I honestly don't hear much of a difference between Year Zero or Welcome Oblivion or Hesitation Marks.

I have no issues with Mariqueen singing on some NIN tracks. I don't think they really needed to create a whole new project like with How To Destroy Angels as fits in with the whole post-Year Zero NIN sound. I think it was mostly done to avoid those "fans" who would have thrown a hissy fit if Mariqueen joined NIN and bashed her as the new Yoko. Nine Inch Nails is Trent's and he can do whatever he wants with it, including bringing in someone else to sing just as he brought in Atticus Ross.

She showed up on Not The Actual Events. I wouldn't mind her elsewhere. Trent should bring her along live as well as those two female vocalists he had on the Tension tour. Get Pino on the bass again.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-25-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I cannot remember the interview now but I think a late 90s/early 2000s interview had Trent taking about how he really wanted to do a side project with a female singer. I imagine that that specific goal drove the creation of HTDA as much as concerns that having a new singer could alienate fans and tarnish the brand.

But a couple of HTDA songs could really be NIN songs ... Parasite and The Loop Closes in particular. There are probably others.

EDIT: Found the interview, it was the big RS interview/article for The Fragile. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...9991014?page=3

" Trent Reznor has other plans. He wants to start a new band, one that he's not in. "I want to do everything I do for Nine Inch Nails and produce it, but not sing," he says. "What I liked about producing Manson was that I could help make the music better and not have any pressure on me." Calling all divas: He has people collecting tapes and is looking for a female singer. "It has to be the right thing – genreless and raceless, but soulful. Not Nine Inch Nails with a girl singing." "

HTDA is often pretty close to NIN, for me, but I guess that's subjective. I also think NIN is already "soulful" in its own way, though not in genre, so I'm not sure what he meant, exactly, since he said "soulful" but "genreless," in terms of what he had in mind in 1999-2000. But he did indeed start a project with a female singer!
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-26-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Welcome Oblivion's title track is so nin.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    But a couple of HTDA songs could really be NIN songs ... Parasite
    Played in Bakersfield 2017, was amazing.

Last edited by TheRealNs1; 05-25-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    At that point I hope they try anything and everything, venturing in their wildest ideas. So why not. It would "feel" good.
    we have an entire corner here dedicated to htda. check it out if you want to. but this is the nin side, and adding mq would be htda.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    we have an entire corner here dedicated to htda. check it out if you want to. but this is the nin side, and adding mq would be htda.
    So She's Gone Away is a How To Destroy Angels' track?

What above Trent performing Parasite as NIN?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    fine. it still sounds good, if you're into that. she was brought out as a guest to perform a htda song, not a nin song. she's no more part of nin than gary numan is. or adam ant. my opinion stands. but it's just that. i've been down this road here, where i get flamed because i don't care for her voice, as if i'm somehow discrediting her. i'm not.

so should we just consider nin and htda one in the same? i just ... i just can't.

for the record, i can't even hear her on sga. but to be fair, i never liked the song. w/e.
    Last edited by kel; 05-25-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Or bring in Karen (is that her name?) The woman on the Led Zeppelin cover...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Whatever man, Trent is in both

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    Or bring in Karen (is that her name?) The woman on the Led Zeppelin cover...
    Yeah, what is her name again? I also know her only as "the woman on the Led Zeppelin cover." It's too bad she's never done anything else of note. =/

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    fine. it still sounds good, if you're into that. she was brought out as a guest to perform a htda song, not a nin song. she's no more part of nin than gary numan is. or adam ant. my opinion stands. but it's just that. i've been down this road here, where i get flamed because i don't care for her voice, as if i'm somehow discrediting her. i'm not.

so should we just consider nin and htda one in the same? i just ... i just can't.

for the record, i can't even hear her on sga. but to be fair, i never liked the song. w/e.
    I can. Its the falsetto you hear throughout the song. those random "OOOOOOooos" and the really high "she's gone, she's gone, she's gone away" is her

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Yeah, what is her name again? I also know her only as "the woman on the Led Zeppelin cover." It's too bad she's never done anything else of note. =/
    Are we talking about Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeah's?!

(Wish I had facepalm privileges)