Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2069

Thread: Nine Inch Nails - 2017 Live Tour Discussion - SPOILERS

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    1mil has its purpose for me at shows - it's the song I use to snap a few pics during.

Nothing beats the time they played Letting You in Cardiff in 2014 and I spent three minutes in front of Trent with my arms folded and side-eyeing.
    lol

I love both 1M and Letting You (and Discipline), so hence my excitement for 1M being played last evening. I hadn't seen it live since the '09 Goodbye shows because it wasn't in the setlist for the four shows I've seen since.

But, I'm biased and love every song or track he's ever composed. That's why he's my absolute favorite, I guess..

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I love both 1M and Letting You (and Discipline), so hence my excitement for 1M being played last evening. I hadn't seen it live since the '09 Goodbye shows because it wasn't in the setlist for the four shows I've seen since.
    Discipline was great live. I wish that would be brought back into the set.

Re: 1M - I thought that was practically a staple last tour. We had it loads in Europe.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    Does anyone recognize the intro music for The Panorama show (I think for all shows)? I think it's an Angelo piece for the new Twin Peaks but I'm not sure
    I don't know, but the sound that comes immediately afterward has me wanting the TARDIS to make an appearance.

Also, does anyone else now really want a shirt with a partially constructed NIИ logo?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    1,000,000 was done at every single 2014 Soundgarden show as far as I'm aware as well as almost every single Tension show. It along with Terrible Lie and Piggy seem like near-constant staples save for rare exceptions and so far this tour has had none of them as guarantees (and TL is nowhere to be found).

Having Reptile as a staple, 4 new songs a show and the unbelievable Bowie tribute/cover in the mix along with Frail/Wretched and Wish at the start of a lot of sets has me more than content. I don't know how people can look at the context/framework of a festival show and get too upset, especially when you look at the quality of the performances themselves. This band is killing it right now and every song sounds tight, vivid and valid. Copy of A has an urgency behind it that I don't think any of the HM touring had. The only thing I miss is Trent being the one triggering TGD's breakdown -- that was the most wild moment of those Soundgarden shows and added something special to the song, but it's still a great time.

In general these are intense, heavy shows with a focus on immediacy and presence in the moment in an era where we are constantly flooded and cluttered with distractions, glowing screens and daydreams and I think it nails it -- it helped knowing there was a proshot being filmed at my show, but regardless, the last thing I wanted was to look at it through my phone, and I've never felt so present and lost in the moment at a NIN show as I did in New York -- didn't think about the setlist, didn't worry about how much time they had, didn't worry about anything, just gave in to the music and the group of talented people performing it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I've still somehow never seen Only and kind of counted on this being the year that I did.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    All this talk about Discipline, Letting You, and 1,000,000 and I'm over here thinking that Head Down would be the perfect addition to the new live set. It sits really well alongside the new EPs and I feel like it was always incredible live.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Agreed, Head Down was always my favorite The Slip track live.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I would love to see him reintroduce stuff like Discipline, Only and Find My Way back into the set, even if they were played regularly during past tours. They just sound amazing live to me, much like I'm always down to hear 1M
    I would LOVE to catch Discipline live. I dig that song. I also am so into Find My Way both on the album and live. And while I don't care all that much for 1,000,000 on the album, I will NEVER EVER get tired of that one live. It is perfect.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I would LOVE to catch Discipline live. I dig that song. I also am so into Find My Way both on the album and live. And while I don't care all that much for 1,000,000 on the album, I will NEVER EVER get tired of that one live. It is perfect.
    I think the reason I enjoy 1M so much is because one of my fondest NIN live moments was when I saw them for the first of numerous times on the LITS tour in Philadelphia, and I'd managed to make my way front and center on the wall before the opening act had even left the stage.

And when they came out blazing to 1M, I just remember looking behind me and seeing a fucking sea of crazed, amped-up Nails fans screaming the chorus to the song back at Trent, to where I couldn't even hear him singing, it was so loud.

That was one of those moments in my fandom for this man I'll treasure into the dirt..

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I've noticed a pattern. Each Festival show had a standalone show announced on short notice. If you guys are going Riot Fest and Aftershock then you should keep an eye out.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Does anyone recognize the intro music for The Panorama show (I think for all shows)? I think it's an Angelo piece for the new Twin Peaks but I'm not sure
    You're right.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I cannot wait to see NIN back in the UK. I totally appreciate Trent wanting to keep away from the big tours, but I hope that doesn't mean next years shows are restricted to the States.

Reading the comments here, and some of the reviews online, it's nice to appreciate how fucking on top of their game NIN are at the moment. I know some are lamenting the lack of light show, and the current shows *relatively* safe setlist, but for me it's all pretty close to perfect. The new songs sound fantastic alongside the classics, and much as I enjoyed some of the effects from 2014, I think you can always rely on NIN to kick you in the face visually, even if it is with a conventional set-up.

I know it's a bit old fashioned, particularly now with all the live stream rips and what-not, but I'm still holding out hope for a proper live album at some point. Maybe even just a sort-of official soundboard as per LITS/Gift would go down a treat. Not to take away from the hard work all the rippers and tapers do, but when the band sound as good as they do it seems a shame not to record it formally. But then perhaps this is what keeps the live shows special when they do appear.

Regardless, I hope they can keep the momentum up until the later festival shows, and I hope the lucky people in or near those cities get more surprise indoor shows too. So now we wait...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Has anyone mentioned Trent continuing to sing Closer wrong?
    "You are the honey inside your hive"
    I mean, he's mocking us at this point isn't he?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Nine Inch Nails - 2017 Live Tour Discussion - SPOILERS

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Trent continuing to sing Closer wrong?
    "You are the honey inside your hive"
    I mean, he's mocking us at this point isn't he?
    He's making sure we're paying attention. Imagine how upset he would be if we didn't notice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    While we're on the same subject, what was up with him going into gibberish for the "Do you want to change it?" line on THTF at Panorama? lol

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    At this point Trent's sang different lyrics at the end of Closer for, what, about 12 years? I think it started on the With Teeth tours and I just take it as his official alternate lyrics now rather than viewing them as explicitly wrong. "I AM THE HONEY" makes sense in a gross Reptile-esque sort of way, anyway.

If not this tour then hopefully next, I'd really like to see this lineup tackle Not Anymore andThe Idea of You -- the chaotic precision of both would be perfect for this group with the style they're invested in right now, and I have got to hear Robin's guitar during Not Anymore's chorus.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Why? They (Trent and Atticus) composed the music for that too. No one seemed to have a problem with them doing Hand Covers Bruise or What If We Could...
    Eh. Even that though ... call me cynical, but when there's a full discography of material to choose from - I would much rather hear a Nine Inch Nails song over their soundtrack work or a band who I never really got into from the same members.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    How dare QOTSA fucking play Millionaire, Avon, In My Head or Make It Wit Chu? It's not their songs at all!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Why? They (Trent and Atticus) composed the music for that too. No one seemed to have a problem with them doing Hand Covers Bruise or What If We Could...
    I'd rather they stuck to NIN, and if they play other stuff to have more of a "look we're doing a cover" approach to it. I feel the same way whether it's HTDA, soundtrack, whatever. I'm more of a NIN fan than an anything-Trent-does fan. Can't pinpoint why, just am.

Ooh!

I'm not really sure which NIN songs I particularly want to hear live at this point. I'd certainly like the ending to change. Opening with Hurt would be quite the mindfuck. I do not miss the lack of Slip songs of late. I do miss going to bed covered in bruises.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I'd rather they stuck to NIN, and if they play other stuff to have more of a "look we're doing a cover" approach to it. I feel the same way whether it's HTDA, soundtrack, whatever. I'm more of a NIN fan than an anything-Trent-does fan. Can't pinpoint why, just am.
    Same here. For whatever reason, Trent's outside work from NIN has just never appealed to me in a live setting. That being said, them doing other artist's songs (David Bowie, Adam Ant, Joy Division) in a newly constructed way has always been interesting to hear.

Different strokes for different folks is all.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I loved the Hand Covers Bruise/BYIT combo on the last tour.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    Watching the show gave me a chub. I experienced it via headphones and noticed a lot of cool new sounds in old songs, and Robin's guitar work/sound is sick. I could get the NIN live itch now...that bastard Trez.

From the top: I love the intro. The piecing together of "NIN" (<333), the green lighting with top lines of orange light, and the music from Twin Peaks (which I know nothing about).

I am way into the raw stage setup. That's how I feel with the majority of NIN songs: turned on, but not that pretty.

It is so fucking windy at times during Panorama. Is that generated from side stage or was it just all perfectly coming together? It is total chaos.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-02-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Generated. It wasn't windy out that night really.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    I know it's a bit old fashioned, particularly now with all the live stream rips and what-not, but I'm still holding out hope for a proper live album at some point. Maybe even just a sort-of official soundboard as per LITS/Gift would go down a treat. Not to take away from the hard work all the rippers and tapers do, but when the band sound as good as they do it seems a shame not to record it formally. But then perhaps this is what keeps the live shows special when they do appear.
    Pretty sure they record every show audio-wise. I know they recorded Webster Monday night b/c they small mics set up by the soundboard to capture ambient/audience sound.

Then it's just a matter of Trent releasing this stuff like you said...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Generated. It wasn't windy out that night really.
    Yeah, he said in an interview after Bakersfield that he wanted to tear down the existing visuals and just do lots of smoke with fans blowing it all around. Then of course they added the tape so you can "see" the wind.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    After the Bakersfield show was announced I asked here what the likelihood was of there being an added NY show around Panorama, and somebody here told me not at all likely, so... in yo face! Haha. J/k.

But seriously, now what are the real chances of an extra Chicago show?! I will be going all 3 days to Riot again this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing QOTSA again almost as much as NIN, so I'd be sad to have to choose between the two if something was announced for Saturday... surely if they do add an extra show there it would be either Thursday or Monday night, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    At this point Trent's sang different lyrics at the end of Closer for, what, about 12 years? I think it started on the With Teeth tours and I just take it as his official alternate lyrics now rather than viewing them as explicitly wrong. "I AM THE HONEY" makes sense in a gross Reptile-esque sort of way, anyway.
    Can someone find the video clip of Trent specifically asking the audience what the lyrics are?
    It's this video but without Kanye, obviously

Also, Alessandro using a four-track tape machine, Trent using a dictaphone and then having tape all over their gear... I wouldn't be surprised if the physical component of Add Violence is a cassette...

edit: Doh, it's in the video description:
    The guy who yells into mic doesn't even get to the lyric he's messing up
    Last edited by scorpiusdiamond; 08-02-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    He sang the lyrics in the next song, during the breakdown part of Discipline.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Just whipped this up. Who else would buy it?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    ^^^^ Also, did anyone else think of the opening credits of Alien when they first saw the logo being constructed?