Page 9 of 527 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 509 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have never ever been able to listen to Closer by Nine Inch Nails without thinking of the legendary Mark Romanek music video that accompanies it.

Is it possible to listen to that song without those images from that dark video going through ones brain? *Has anyone ever been successful?
    Find it interesting millions of tracks without music videos my head is able to go to loads of places while listening to the song.
    But *only with powerful music video's like Closer or anything by Chris Cunningham ...Come to Daddy and Windowlicker by Aphex Twin or Only You by Portishead and other MTV classics like Smells like Teen Spirit or Black Hole Sun my head instantly goes to a world that has already been created by someone else....
    Just occured to me while listening to the Downward Spiral the other day....every other track my head goes to crazy places but with Closer its always THAT video....not blaming the video its a masterpiece and very effective... but when playing that song my head will not shift from a set place.... its weird.
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 03-18-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    I have never ever been able to listen to Closer by Nine Inch Nails without thinking of the legendary Mark Romanek music video that accompanies it.

Is it possible to listen to that song without those images from that dark video going through ones brain? *Has anyone ever been successful?
    Find it interesting millions of tracks without music videos my head is able to go to loads of places while listening to the song.
    But *only with powerful music video's like Closer or anything by Chris Cunningham ...Come to Daddy and Windowlicker by Aphex Twin or Only You by Portishead and other MTV classics like Smells like Teen Spirit or Black Hole Sun my head instantly goes to a world that has already been created by someone else....
    Just occured to me while listening to the Downward Spiral the other day....every other track my head goes to crazy places but with Closer its always THAT video....not blaming the video its a masterpiece and very effective... but when playing that song my head will not shift from a set place.... its weird.
    Maybe for people that watched it like once and never again because they're not music video people it's easier?
    this person is me btw
    I've never really seen the appeal in NIN's music videos. I tend to just watch them once or twice and I'm done.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Yeah, it's possible.

Was your first exposure to the song through its video? If not, how many listens in was that context applied? I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I'd heard the track before the video was even released. TDS was in regular rotation on my walkman when it was released. Before the video (and single) came out, I distinctly remember thinking how it was such an intriguing song because it was so completely non-radio-friendly in lyrical content while at the same time being musically so. Never imagined it would ever work for radio, but we all know how that worked out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    Yeah, it's possible.

Was your first exposure to the song through its video? If not, how many listens in was that context applied? I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I'd heard the track before the video was even released. TDS was in regular rotation on my walkman when it was released. Before the video (and single) came out, I distinctly remember thinking how it was such an intriguing song because it was so completely non-radio-friendly in lyrical content while at the same time being musically so. Never imagined it would ever work for radio, but we all know how that worked out.
    This was the first music video by NIN i ever saw, when it first hit T.V and NIN became my favorite band so it holds significance, i guess.
    Its impossible for me to interpret the song in different ways in my head. Which is a bit of a curse in a way.
    Like i cant listen to the Downward Spiral without thinking of Charles Manson. First listen i thought Trent was speaking as Charles Manson the whole way through the record.
    If he had not recorded it at the Manson/Tate house would it be the same record!! Could go on all day with these type of questions on how i would view art if it had been done differently.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I can't listen to The Great Below - La Mer - The Mark Has Been Made (either live or studio versions) without imagining AATCHB visuals

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i also mostly picture Closer performance by the band with all those red lights, not the Romanek's video

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/#!/cykik

This is the twitter of KamranV, the guy who co-directed and co-produced the Henry Fonda HD vids along with Rob.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I have some songs assigned to some feelings and / or people.

For example, The Great Below (example above), takes me back to highschool years when I liked a girl and I was talking to her on the phone while sitting on my window looking at the sky. So yeah. that > aatchb.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Whenever I listen to The Fragile (the song) I picture myself sitting on the floor of my now ex-girlfriend's bedroom flipping through the lyrics book the day the album was released. She was going through a hard time and the lyrics were perfect for the situation.

I find it hard to get into music nowadays because I don't have situations anymore that relate to such strong emotions. I'm happily married, have a job I like, and am generally enjoying life. There just aren't any songs that talk about how awesome being even-keel and well-adjusted is because, in comparison to the emotional roller coaster that is adolescence, it's fuckin' boring

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    The entire premise behind the band member's names is first name of a model, last name of a serial killer (yes, I realize Manson himself didn't kill anyone, but he is in jail because of several murders that took place because of him). Though the only band members I can remember are Manson and Twiggy.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_Berkowitz
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_Newton_Bundy
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Wayne_Gacy
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gidget_Gein
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sara_Lee_Lucas

I'm kinda fascinated by serial killers *shrug*
    Last edited by allegro; 03-19-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I learnt about Charles Manson and the Sharon Tate murder in my American history lecture yesterday and had a little NIN squee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    NIN's facebook just posted updated NIN wallpapers for the iPad 3's retina display. has anyone ever seen this artwork for The Fragile before? (could it be the remasters?)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    this particular image is familiar to me. a few years back i had it as a wallpaper for some time (though it was a screenshot from the fragile teaser video)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Yeah, that image has been around for a while, though at around half the new resolution. I've been using it as the cover of my custom Fragile Left for years.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    That image is used in the liner notes (maybe only the vinyl liner notes?) as well as a promo banner that was out before the album came out. I believe it's also the image used for the ever popular green-and-black Fragile guitar skin.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    There're still a couple of images in the iPad retina release which are new to me, including a de-textified version of Every Day Is Exactly The Same's cover.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Random NIN Thought: MmmmmmBUH.

"Closer" and its video have never been inseparable for me - I kind of just imagine my own colors and whatnot.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    That image is used in the liner notes (maybe only the vinyl liner notes?) as well as a promo banner that was out before the album came out.
    An ex stole my giant liner notes booklet almost as soon as I got the vinyl release (the bitch, but at least I still have the REST of it, I guess), so I haven't seen it in almost a decade but I'm pretty damned certain that was indeed from the vinyl liner notes, yeah.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    As posters are one of my top NIN collectable items, I have that Fragile promo poster. Unfortunately, the guy folded it THREE TIMES when he shipped it to me. D:
    I also swear it was one of the Mc Donald's Fragile-stolen pics a few years back. Speaking of, did anything ever come of that?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    It was indeed one of the Mc D's images, and yes, the image isn't new. And as far as I know, nothing was done regarding the stolen images.

That image is actually used, cropped on the half, for The Fragile CD booklet, at Starfuckers Inc., Complication and ILFTJY,F.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://ology.com/post/66549/non-inte...nd-film-scores
    don't understand if it's real or not but funny

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidpolly View Post
    http://ology.com/post/66549/non-inte...nd-film-scores
    don't understand if it's real or not but funny
    Ology is such a weird site - this is one of their fake interviews

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Whoa, thanks! I almost forgot about this: http://noisydecentgraphics.typepad.c...carson-sp.html

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Anyone know if this (essentially a feature length Ghosts film festival thingy) is still going? http://faust.wretchedrenaissance.com/

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I bought today the soundtrack for The Book of Eli (I'm late, I know), and I noticed that on the picture with Gary Oldman there's something that looks like the Presence:

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So, Book of Eli is set after YZ? I think this should be officially canon.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Urgh please no.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I randomly login to nin.com forum for the first time in aeons, then have to log out 17 seconds later because it's such a quagmire, and that's putting it politely. All hail ETS.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Trent, Alec Empire and El-P at the same time on Twitter. I think the universe is about to explode with greatness.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Is it possible to listen to that song without those images from that dark video going through ones brain? *Has anyone ever been successful?......
    This might help(slightly nsfw):