Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Confessions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I just started listening to NIN back in 06 or 07 as a teenager. I read about them in a music book in the library and remember reading about the song Big Man With A Gun. I heard Head Like A Hole when I was out with my family boating and said I think this is Big Man With A Gun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymly View Post
    When I just started listening to NIN back in 06 or 07 as a teenager
    I don’t know why, but this always catches me off guard. That people just started listening in 07. I remember snagging broken and TDS from my dads cd collection back in like, 96

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I watched most of the Broken movie with my eyes closed. I didn't want to go back to it for a long time, but I'm sure I'll revisit it...eventually.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    I don’t know why, but this always catches me off guard. That people just started listening in 07. I remember snagging broken and TDS from my dads cd collection back in like, 96

Hah I started listening in 2013 back when I was still in middle school. Good times...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Hah I started listening in 2013 back when I was still in middle school. Good times...
    Oh god 2013 was 5 years ago

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Oh god 2013 was 5 years ago
    Post-2010 years feel very close but oh shit we're closer to 2020

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    don't sweat it I'm over 50 and still listen to NIn probably listen to them on a daily basis still pre order albums were i first saw NIN dosen't even exist anymore.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I started to get into them around 2001 when Deep was released on the radio when I was 14. I had always known about the band, but I started to just get REALLY into them around that time frame and by And All That Could Have Been's release in 2002 I was obsessed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've probably said this before, but my introduction was the Year Zero ARG. My only knowledge of NIN's music came from the tracks related to the ARG (Survivalism and My Violent Heart) and the copy of With Teeth I bought on a whim around the same time. I thought I had a handle on what this cool rock band was all about. I thought I "got" them.

As you may remember, Beside You In Time came out around that time, so obviously I bought it because it was linked to the ARG I was slowly becoming obsessed with.

15 minutes into that DVD I realised I had no fucking idea who this band was, but I was ready to take the ride.

Came for the Year Zero ARG, stayed for the NIN.

Been my absolute favourite artist for the last eleven years.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    As you may remember, Beside You In Time came out around that time, so obviously I bought it because it was linked to the ARG I was slowly becoming obsessed with.

15 minutes into that DVD I realised I had no fucking idea who this band was, but I was ready to take the ride.

That DVD/BRD still looks and sounds amazing to this day. Absolutely love it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    That DVD/BRD still looks and sounds amazing to this day. Absolutely love it.
    I lost my original copy in one of the three moves I did between 2011-2014. I don't know when exactly, but I went and ordered another copy as soon as I noticed because that show was my gateway and massively important to me.

Fortunately, even 9 years later, it was still a reasonable price. Something I hadn't come to expect when it came to NIN's catalogue.

Edit: 2007 to 2014 was not 9 years. My point still stands.

Last edited by GavinCollins420; 06-27-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I lost my original copy in one of the three moves I did between 2011-2014. I don't know when exactly, but I went and ordered another copy as soon as I noticed because that show was my gateway and massively important to me.

Fortunately, even 9 years later, it was still a reasonable price. Something I hadn't come to expect when it came to NIN's catalogue.

I lost or damaged my original DVD (can’t exactly remember) as well, and bought the BRD after that. It’s available on iTunes if one needs to go that route.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, I should probably get that Blu-Ray before it's too late. Beside You In Time is, like, one of the only DVDs I still own.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    It might have been because I was severely hungover at the time, but when I first heard “Burning Bright (Field On Fire),” my initial reaction was:

I have grown to really like the song. I do still wish some of the verses were a little easier to understand.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I've probably said this before, but my introduction was the Year Zero ARG. My only knowledge of NIN's music came from the tracks related to the ARG (Survivalism and My Violent Heart) and the copy of With Teeth I bought on a whim around the same time. I thought I had a handle on what this cool rock band was all about. I thought I "got" them.

Been my absolute favourite artist for the last eleven years.

If I got into NIN during the ARG, I don't know if I'd ever be impressed by anything ever again. I'd be constantly looking for a new band to impress me on that level, and it'd never happen.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    If I got into NIN during the ARG, I don't know if I'd ever be impressed by anything ever again. I'd be constantly looking for a new band to impress me on that level, and it'd never happen.
    Why do you think they're my number one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Confession 1: 12 year old me bulk-torrented every single NIN album I could get my hands on from Limewire (2004 lol). Testing this new music out on the way to school the next day, I randomly selected March of the Pigs, and the false ending made me jump so hard I fell off my bike. That's karma!

Confession 2: I didn't realise Broken existed until 2014

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Post-2010 years feel very close but oh shit we're closer to 2020
    Yeah, I realized the other day that I saw NIN during the tour for With Teeth....which was released over ten years ago.

Holy crap I feel old now. And I was just a freshman in college during that tour. I "grew up" listening to NIN but PHM was released just a couple of years after I was born. My aunt (who lived with us) liked that album when it came out, and I thought she was cool so I liked everything she liked. It's weird to realize that I've been listening to a band almost my entire life and Trent is STILL releasing quality music. I get a weird sense of pride from that. None of the bands my parents listened to had a lifespan that long, except for Bowie all their other faves had a ten-year run at best before they broke up or started releasing garbage or overdosed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Confession: Not the biggest fan of The Fragile. I admit I have to give it another shot, but there are other NIN albums I like way more.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I don’t care for “No, You Don’t”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Two confessions:

1. When I first heard of Nine Inch Nails, it was a lyric from the Eminem song "My Name Is".
    2. For years I thought the "Nails" part of the name referred to fingernails instead of actual nails.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I started to get into them around 2001 when Deep was released on the radio when I was 14. I had always known about the band, but I started to just get REALLY into them around that time frame and by And All That Could Have Been's release in 2002 I was obsessed.
    I had turned 16 that year (2001) and this was my exact story, although I knew of head like a hole and loved it, but when deep & and all that could have been hit I was hooked. I was really just getting into concerts the year before so I figured why not start with a live DVD then I picked up PHM followed by the fragile and the rest is history. Then it was a fucking 4 year wait to see them in concert. Deep remains on my bucket list of songs to hear live, some day I hope.
    Last edited by bryan_NIN65; 07-22-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Two confessions:

1. When I first heard of Nine Inch Nails, it was a lyric from the Eminem song "My Name Is".
    2. For years I thought the "Nails" part of the name referred to fingernails instead of actual nails.

That's actually not terribly surprising to me, and cool to hear from someone else's perspective. On the other hand, i'm 35, started listening to NIN at pretty hate machine, have been listening to hip-hop since 1990, and when I first heard eminem that line stuck with me as genius-NIN has been my favorite band for most of my entire life. I thought 'if you didn't know who NIN was, that line still makes sense, if you just listened to rap you actually would be much more shocked. it lyrically introduces those to eminem that don't listen to hip hop that eminem has a vast appreciation of multiple musical genres. excellent wordplay.' For those that don't listen to eminem, the lyric is 'hi kids, do you like violence? wanna see me stick nine inch nails through each one of my eyelids?' and the word violence is added instead of primus for the uncensored version.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post

I got into NIN around early 2006, when I was 15 years old. With Teeth was the first album I purchased. I picked it up bc it was on sale at Target, and bc I thought the digipak looked interesting, and bc I knew I liked a few of their songs like Eraser and The Wretched (I had NO idea about Closer, Wish or HLAH yet). I very quickly became obsessed, and it was fueled by what seemed like quick turn around between BYIT, YZ+Arg+YZR, Niggy Tardust, Ghosts, and The Slip. Such a crazy fun time to be a nin fan! Its really hard for me to imagine that my first time seeing them live was during LITS, and that was 10 years ago! I only paid $47.50 for my personalized GA nin.com presale ticket, and was able to get front row by only showing up a few hours early. The pic below is of my "NIN Wall" back in late 2008. Lets just say that TR & Co definitely helped me get through high school

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was wearing cowboy boots in the middle of Nowhere, Texas when I first discovered a Pretty Hate Machine cassette in 1990, lost under a seat of my sisters' car. She still has no idea where it came from.

I was never quite the same after that.

PS: I escaped Texas, btw. I still enjoy boots.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post

That scatter-hang reminds me a lot of Hesitation Marks' vinyl artwork.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    That scatter-hang reminds me a lot of Hesitation Marks' vinyl artwork.
    It started in 2006 with just the With Teeth poster, and the small framed cork board. It grew slowly from there until I moved out on my own in 2010

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    That's actually not terribly surprising to me, and cool to hear from someone else's perspective. On the other hand, i'm 35, started listening to NIN at pretty hate machine, have been listening to hip-hop since 1990, and when I first heard eminem that line stuck with me as genius-NIN has been my favorite band for most of my entire life. I thought 'if you didn't know who NIN was, that line still makes sense, if you just listened to rap you actually would be much more shocked. it lyrically introduces those to eminem that don't listen to hip hop that eminem has a vast appreciation of multiple musical genres. excellent wordplay.' For those that don't listen to eminem, the lyric is 'hi kids, do you like violence? wanna see me stick nine inch nails through each one of my eyelids?' and the word violence is added instead of primus for the uncensored version.
    I remember the summer of '99 really well. I was casually into hip hop at the time, I knew of Dr Dre, Snoop, Wu-Tang and Eminem, and that was abut it. I more into into nu-metal (gimme a break, I was 13 years old) and didn't know of NIN until I heard that lyric. Then I heard "We're in This Together" when it came out later that year and liked it quite a bit. I also learned that NIN was a huge influence on other nu-metal bands as well. However, I didn't buy my first NIN CD until a couple years later, which was the Fragile. Needless to say, one listen from front to back and I was hooked from that point on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    I watched most of the Broken movie with my eyes closed. I didn't want to go back to it for a long time, but I'm sure I'll revisit it...eventually.
    Happiness in Slavery is my 2nd favorite NIN song, but I cannot watch that video. And this is coming from a horror movie fan. So I understand where you're coming from.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motionlessZombie View Post
    Happiness in Slavery is my 2nd favorite NIN song, but I cannot watch that video. And this is coming from a horror movie fan. So I understand where you're coming from.
    That's so funny because I'm a big horror fan too! I think it's because that movie is good at blurring the lines between reality and fantasy so something about it is a bit too real and it disturbs me.