Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Underneath It All: A Nine Inch Nails Podcast

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    After listening to the latest podcast (great job, as always guys! I've been listening since the first one), I went and played Right Where it Belongs to listen for the "traffic sounds" that were mentioned (because I didn't remember any), but I didn't notice it. The crowd noise, of course, is very obvious, but where are these supposed traffic sounds in the song? Am I missing something obvious? Is it that background noise in the first minute of the song? That never stood out to me as any kind of discernible sounds from street traffic.

On an unrelated note, I used to be a member of the old board way back in 2002 and when the ETS server went down in 2011 and had to start over, I never signed up again until this year. I may look like a brand new member, but I used to be a regular and I've been lurking for the past 6 or so years. So, hello again!
    Welcome back to the world of posting! Yeah, I was just talking about that ambience in the first minute. It sounds to me like a motorcycle speeding down the street outside the window. Again, I listened to that album in my car a lot when it first came out, so that sound gave me a weird feeling of there being cars around me when there weren't. You can hear it more clearly in the instrumental version, which starts with several seconds of what sounds vaguely like street noise:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Welcome back to the world of posting! Yeah, I was just talking about that ambience in the first minute. It sounds to me like a motorcycle speeding down the street outside the window. Again, I listened to that album in my car a lot when it first came out, so that sound gave me a weird feeling of there being cars around me when there weren't. You can hear it more clearly in the instrumental version, which starts with several seconds of what sounds vaguely like street noise:

I always just thought that was some synthesizer-made tone, but it actually does sound like a windy city.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I forgot to mention this tidbit in the podcast, but apparently Reznor included parts of the early vocal demos that he had made on a portable recording device on the finished product for With Teeth. Maybe that's one of those? And the background noise is genuine?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I forgot to mention this tidbit in the podcast, but apparently Reznor included parts of the early vocal demos that he had made on a portable recording device on the finished product for With Teeth. Maybe that's one of those? And the background noise is genuine?
    Ooh, that's cool. I have many recordings on my phone of song ideas I recorded while walking to my car or being outside in come capacity, so that rings familiar.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Episode 13.5 - Not The Actual Next Episode

Brian (@Toadflax), James (@sheepdean), and Jeff
    (@OSLIN) discuss the new Nine Inch Nails EP Not the Actual Events

What a great episode! It's my first UIA episode. Nice mix of people/comments. Thank you for sharing.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patj825 View Post
    What a great episode! It's my first UIA episode. Nice mix of people/comments. Thank you for sharing.
    Thank you! Be sure to check out the rest when you get a chance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, I've recorded the background noise, while commuting on a bus, entering and exiting tunnels. You traffic, echos, and interior noise.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Episode 14 - Fourteen Good Punches in the Face
    Brian @Toadflax, James @sheepdean, and Tim @botley discuss NIN's 2005 full-length album ah-With-tha-Teeth-ah on this episode of UIA.

Also available on iTunes and Stitcher!
    Great show. Really love the chemistry between you four guys. Such a nice variety of thoughts. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, first post on ETS here. But, as a long time podcast listener, had a very good time listening to the show about NTAE. For sure I'll check out more past episodes and hoping for more in the future.

Keep up the good work guys!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Episode 13 was great. Great condensed live/tour history. The 3rd show I've listened to. This is now my work radio station.

http://shoutengine.com/UnderneathItA...esh-bone-22368

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Excellent episode again all.
    @botley you're a great addition, sir.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just listened to episode 13, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great job with the show. Can't wait to delve into the other episodes.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    There should definitely be an episode dedicated to the Firebrand fiasco, and its effect on the community. Tony Parente as one of the main guests on that, unfiltered plz..
    Ha! That episode comes out right after our four part Tapeworm series and right before our extensive retrospective on the life of the great John Malm and the whiny tambourine player who took all of his money.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    There should definitely be an episode dedicated to the Firebrand fiasco, and its effect on the community. Tony Parente as one of the main guests on that, unfiltered plz..
    I'm into this. Book it.

I've now listened to episodes 10, 13.5, and 14. This is some great stuff. Can't wait for the Year Zero episode(s).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Do you guys have a new episode that reviews Add Violence coming soon? I'm very interested/excited to hear your thoughts/insights/interpretations on the new EP and your predictions for the third!
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 07-25-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Do you guys have a new episode that reviews Add Violence coming soon? I've very interested/excited to hear your thoughts/insights/interpretations on the new EP and your predictions for the third!
    are you sure
    this is what you want?

... --- --- -.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    are you sure
    this is what you want?

... --- --- -.
    Come on... Even Trent has moved on to saying stuff like -. . -..- - / .-- . . -.-

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perterje View Post
    Come on... Even Trent has moved on to saying stuff like -. . -..- - / .-- . . -.-
    Fair enough. If recording goes off without a hitch, if our editor is able to edit when he expects to be, and if the people pushing the buttons push the right buttons... -. . -..- - / .-- . . -.-

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Do you guys have a new episode that reviews Add Violence coming soon? I'm very interested/excited to hear your thoughts/insights/interpretations on the new EP and your predictions for the third!
    Look, recording an episode soon doesn't mean it comes out soon. We're more into the abstract idea of time

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    SHUT UP. Silence! Add a little bit of my input to the next episode.
    Last edited by botley; 07-25-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Look, recording an episode soon doesn't mean it comes out soon. We're more into the abstract idea of time
    I know that it takes time to edit them and all that. I don't mean to come off as impatient, just excited.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I know that it takes time to edit them and all that. I don't mean to come off as impatient, just excited.
    He's just saying that we don't work in a linear time format. We've already recorded the episode for the third EP (Ruffhouzin') but have yet to record some of the episodes that have been out for years.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    He's just saying that we don't work in a linear time format. We've already recorded the episode for the third EP (Ruffhouzin') but have yet to record some of the episodes that have been out for years.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Episode 15 - Violent Thoughts

Brian, Jeff and Tim attempt to analyze chaos as they discuss the new Nine Inch Nail's EP Add Violence, plus much more...

Also available on iTunes and Stitcher
    Last edited by OSLIN; 08-01-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Another fun one! Although if you're looking for clear answers to questions you may have about this EP, we, uh, don't have any

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    When Discipline starts playing in the sign-off, keep it going if you normally stop it at that point. Genius.
    Last edited by blassster; 08-02-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    When Discipline starts playing in the sign-off, keep it going if you normally stop it at that point. Genius.
    thanks

i have put a "stinger" (as mst3k calls it) at the end of pretty much every episode...have people not been listening to the ends? for shame...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    thanks

i have put a "stinger" (as mst3k calls it) at the end of pretty much every episode...have people not been listening to the ends? for shame...
    I usually stop any show during whatever outro music, but especially in this case since Discipline is near my lowest ranked NIN songs

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    I usually stop any show during whatever outro music, but especially in this case since Discipline is near my lowest ranked NIN songs
    i'm sorry to hear that. it's one of my favorites, which is why i put it at the end of every episode. it never plays for more than about 40 seconds, though. anyway, you should go back and check out the other stingers. some of them are hilarious.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Loving the Less Than commentary and analysis.

EDIT: This is really great.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 08-02-2017 at 09:53 PM.