Thread: 2017.10.20 - Las Vegas, NV @ The Joint

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2017.10.20 - Las Vegas, NV @ The Joint

n/t

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-3be33488.html

Just got back from the Vegas show, I really thought Atticus added a lot to the band. It was a good show, if it wasn't sold out it was damn close. I was hoping for a more varied setlist I've seen too many shows. I have become that fan that wants all obscure material, but I'm glad I went. Nothing at the merch booth that you can't buy at the online store.

For me the highlights were "I Can't Give Everything Away" David Bowie cover, "The Background World".
    Last edited by Sister Midnight; 10-21-2017 at 03:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Had a blast! TDTWWA was my highlight. Never seen it live before.

Met some nice people sitting in that hallway for 4 hours before we got in and chatted with some people inside the venue. If anyone talked to the guy in the notre dame hat that was me and you were all nice people.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    My boobs and I were the lucky recipients of one of Robin's water bottles tonight. That shit bounced off my boobs and I had to hunt it down off of the ground.

#blessed #dedication

I feel like the TSA is gonna jack it from me, though.

I'll write some bullshit in a couple of days. So tired, and traveling back to NY tomorrow.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    This was the first time since 1994 that NIN played a show ON my birthday and I was just happy to be there.

Tobacco was a great opener & I'd love to get a Behind the scenes overview on their tour videos.

Anyhow, it was great to finally catch AR performing with NIN, and to hear the NTAE/AV songs in the set. I really thought we'd get "Letting You" or "Not Anymore" but it wasn't meant to be... especially when they practiced "Terrible Lie" during soundcheck.

There were no visuals during "The Great Destroyer" but AR was totally rocking the mix & triggered several Drump audio clips which makes me think they're still tinkering with the video portion since "Buring Bright (Field on Fire)" had the video static intro coming out of TGD.

"I Can't Give Everything Away" was amazing save for the assholes screaming "I'm Afraid of Americans" after TR's introduction.

TDTWWA was a nice surprise to this standard setlist.

I'm content with this show being my only one for the year (but I wouldn't mind another festival stream before the year's up).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was my third time seeing NIN live (Salt Lake City '08, Austin '09, and tonight). I thought the show was great! My one gripe was that it was basically impossible to hear Trent on the megaphone during Burning Bright, other than that it was perfect.

I was able to add 8 songs to my list-of-songs-I've-seen-live. Plus, I have now been lucky enough to get the Piggy trifecta. Ghosts Piggy in SLC, Nothing Can Stop Me Now in Austin and now, finally, the original.

One more thing. I often roll my eyes or skip Gave Up when it shows up on pretty much every bootleg ever, but goddamn if it isn't absolutely killer when you are there in person.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    If the fucking Sharpie Nazi lady is here... Fuck you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So Fucking Good. Was nice to hear Terrible Lie on this tour. I hope they play next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome show!!! I had an excellent view from dead center of the front row of the balcony...but I was afraid to stand up and dance. (I’m a klutz and feared dancing myself right over the edge). Seemed like everyone near me was in the same boat; we were all bopping around as best we could while seated. I think this is the first time I left a NIN show not drenched in sweat, but I had a great time anyway.

p.s. If the Lulu girl happens to see this, hello! Sorry I couldn’t stay and chat a bit.
    Last edited by madison; 10-21-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    The band hasn't sounded this solid in a long time. The synths were super clear, TR was very energetic, and the crowd was really into it too. This show blew the doors off of the Bakersfield show hands down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great show...the band seemed heavier and more aggressive than the last time or two I saw them (which was great for me since I gravitate towards the heavier stuff). The last show in Atlanta that I saw, I remember it being the first time I was ever kinda disappointed in a NIN show, they just sounded thin to me at that show, but this show it seemed like they were tearing through the songs.

I actually liked that they seemed to up Robin in the mix and allow more background vocals. Trent seemed to pick his spots more and there were less "Wooah's and Yeahs" which I think lent to the heavier sound. The lack of visuals also may have driven the more straight forward driving sound...I am glad to have seen them at a bunch of shows, but didn't miss them.

Highlights were The Background World (love that song) and the other new tracks, The Wretched sounded fucking awesome as did Wish, Terrible Lie and Burning Bright (although Trent could have been higher in the mix).

If I had to nitpick, I would have preferred Somewhat Damaged to Survivalism and the show felt a little short (there was no filler at all, but it was 90 minutes...have been to a lot of longer shows recently and this felt a little short.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    TSA doesn’t care about empty water bottles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Loved this shit - first time at this venue, totally worth it!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanj101 View Post
    If I had to nitpick, I would have preferred Somewhat Damaged to Survivalism and the show felt a little short (there was no filler at all, but it was 90 minutes...have been to a lot of longer shows recently and this felt a little short.)

Yeah I was hoping for Somewhat Damaged over Survivalism and Reptile over Piggy.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    If the fucking Sharpie Nazi lady is here... Fuck you.
    Wha?! There has to be more to this story!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    After the 2009 sets, I feel spoiled. Just under 90 minutes including an encore feels a bit off - especially on GA tickets that cost over $100 each :/

Also, only about six moshers - not a problem for most people, but a good pit makes the show for me.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I loved every minute of the show. They sounded great tho I agree that his vocals on BB got lost. I also wish the show had been longer. TDTWWA was beautiful. I almost ugly cried it was so good. We were on the balcony and could see everything. I do think its weird that some people sat for the entire show. Get the fuck up. It's a nin show!! No one was directly behind me so i was able to stand and dance the whole time.

We encountered not one but two women who were looking for Reznor's penis. Both felt the need to scream that they were looking for it. One was sitting next us but Jessica pointed out a better spot for her and off she went. The second woman was in the bathroom after the show. I wanted to ask either "Name one song off of the new EP".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The show was fantastic. Ended up about three behind the rail, which was good enough for me (closest I've seen them so far!).
    I hate to think it, but I feel that me having seen streams / videos of most of the previous tour dates took away from the experience for me a bit. It was very, incredibly visually impressive considering they only really used lights, smoke, and small bright LED bars.

Audio at the venue sounded very clean, great lows and highs. There were some low notes during TGD that shook me to my core without sounding muddy.

There was a dude trying to incite a mosh right beside me (short, wearing a wifebeater and rubbing his pits on everyone) - tall older guy next to me told him to cut it the fuck out, which he mostly followed. Thank you mysterious giant man.

Some of the photos I took.
    Official photos posted on NIN's Facebook.

A couple of videos that I took (decent video quality / not great audio)
    Branches / Bones end + start of Wish (including Trent knocking shit over)
    Piggy (Robin's face melting solo)

Not sure what happened with the silver sharpie - all I know is that when it came over to me (#37) it had about zero ink left in it but it looked like it had been used in a silver ink massacre.

Oh and about Tobacco - I love them, seeing them live again was just the cherry on top. I do wish they would focus more on their presentation, it leaves a lot to be desired. The videos that go with their tracks were displayed on screens to the left and right of the stage - they really should get a projector and a screen or something to put behind them.
    Most people around me didn't love or hate the Tobacco performance, but I really did enjoy it.

EDIT: Also want to say it was great to meet you @Toadflax! Hope you enjoyed the show.
    Last edited by |mando|; 10-22-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Wha?! There has to be more to this story!
    This person rolled in around 7:00pm, stating that they were ONE OF THE FIRST ONES HERE this morning. But I had been there for about 7 hours at that point (and there were people there who were waiting for 6 hours longer than me), and had not seen them once before then. But like, whatever. Get in line, it isn't worth arguing over. But then they just kept letting more and more people in front of those of us who had been waiting around all day. Then people started getting upset. They (Sharpie Nazi) were going down asking everyone WHAT IS YOUR NUMBER?

Like, that isn't how it works. Also it really did not matter at this point, as those of us who were fortunate enough to get upgraded to the VIP tickets were in a separate line from the GA folks, so those original numbers didn't really matter. But you don't get to roll in in the morning, then leave for 10+ hours and think you can just hop in front of everyone who hung out all day. That's really shitty. I ended up telling them that I didn't give a shit about the numbers because I know who I waited around with all day, and I knew who I was in between in the line. I said I didn't care about a number on my hand because I am not 10. Then the SN and another person started yelling, and I told SN to just stand there and be quiet. We didn't give a shit at this point, but to stop antagonizing everyone around them.

The point of those numbers is to hold space for people who need to leave for an hour or two to go eat, or sit down (they weren't allowing us to sit in the hallway), or whatever. Not to allow someone to cut in front of a group of people who had been waiting all day.

Anyway, it was real fucking dumb. But that was the only low point of the whole trip, aside having to go to Vegas!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I thought that was weird too. I went in and sat down in line not even knowing there was a sharpie, because we were in the hallway and had to go hunt this sharpie down just so I made sure I got a "spot", since apparently waiting wasn't enough. It was great though, so I have no complaints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was so good to see the guys back on stage.

Loved the venue. My ticket wasn't mailed to me so I arranged to pick it up at the box office. Everything was super smooth and there were no issues. Inside, I loved the layout although I do with the tiers were a bit higher as the levels rose. Going technical, the sound was pristine... the synths, Robin's guitar tone and Ilan's drums were all locked in. I know the setlist was a bit of a throwback, but I'm glad I got to hear "Terrible Lie." It almost doesn't seem right to be at a NIN show and not have it played.

I probably spent too much money, but I don't care. The trip was worth it. I had a blast.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by |mando| View Post
    EDIT: Also want to say it was great to meet you @Toadflax! Hope you enjoyed the show.
    Great meeting you too, and awesome pictures! Too bad we weren't able to coordinate a bigger meetup.

Tobacco did have their visuals projected behind them . Reportedly no visuals at all in NY, and then screens on the side in Vegas, so they might just be relegated to whatever the venue allows.

I had a blast! Getting to hear The Background World was almost worth the trip alone, and the venue was great.

My favorite moment in line was when the guy next to me asked what my favorite NIN album was and then, when I told him, rooted around in a baggie and proceeded to give me this bracelet his eight year old son made (each was color coordinated to the album):

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    AH I finally have some time to write this one up.

This show out of the four I went to this year was probably the best mixed show (granted it was indoors). Vocally Trent sounded amazing and the guitars weren't overbearing on the overall tone of the band.

Seeing Tobacco again was nice, out of all the electronic acts that have opened for NIN, they were the best.

Random tidbits:
    -Lot's of hot girls.
    -Hard Rock's parking structure is a bitch.
    -I saw Vinnie Paul from Pantera!
    -Really bummed that "Somewhat Damaged" was not played.
    -Vegas crowds are weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is anybody familiar enough with Tobacco, to provide the song titles of the setlist? This was my first show at the Joint, and it was great. Solid setlist. Wasn't thrilled with my presale tickets, but was still happy to be there. Ended up being front row the next night at Aftershock, so all was good in my world.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Hard Rock's parking structure is a bitch.
    Sooo, would this be a bad time to tell you that Hard Rock has a free valet service?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Sooo, would this be a bad time to tell you that Hard Rock has a free valet service?
    Haha, that's just another line I have to deal with.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Haha, that's just another line I have to deal with.
    Yeah, I guess if you get there close to showtime. I got there around 5:00 and drove straight up to the valet stand.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Yeah, I guess if you get there close to showtime. I got there around 5:00 and drove straight up to the valet stand.
    I came in at 7 and there were plenty of spots, also do you trust valet if you have rental car?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i surrendered my ticket to my brother so that he could take his wife to this show (she is also a fan); then i started the drive to sacramento for Aftershock.
    he doesn't do ETS so i'm posting for him(?):

It was really good! TDTWWA was phenomenal!
    We got the TW and the David Bowie cover.
    There were no NIN $5 poker chips.
    Recognized and spoke to a few ppl that we met the night before at KMFDM, cool people. (-from me 'hi-back')
    Tobacco had a bunch of interesting videos going to their songs. One being E.T. like figure being fucked, pretty funny/weird.

*i asked him about the sharpie drama, but he seems to have missed all that fun, lol.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I came in at 7 and there were plenty of spots, also do you trust valet if you have rental car?
    Yeah, especially at a place like that. Nothing to worry about.