Page 66 of 150 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 4490

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Wants to put out more acoustic records, possibly of older songs:

"“I’ve already written another album to follow up Ogilala, which is just sitting there. The difficulty is working out how this music fits in the world. It’s not easy to get on the radio and all those traditional things - it's hard to market. My great hope is that it will be well enough received that it’ll allow me to do another record. I’d also like to do sessions where I record a lot of my old songs but in acoustic form. So over the next five years I would release 150-200 acoustic versions of my songs. I’ve released 300 so far and there is another 100 that haven’t been released. I could release that on my own label or something. Over time I could compile an alternate record of my songs - acoustic or piano versions as opposed to the more band-like versions. There are a lot of good songs there that have been overlooked because of the time or the production."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Jesus christ I hope he has meds for his ADHD

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Wants to put out more acoustic records, possibly of older songs:

"“I’ve already written another album to follow up Ogilala, which is just sitting there. The difficulty is working out how this music fits in the world. It’s not easy to get on the radio and all those traditional things - it's hard to market. My great hope is that it will be well enough received that it’ll allow me to do another record. I’d also like to do sessions where I record a lot of my old songs but in acoustic form. So over the next five years I would release 150-200 acoustic versions of my songs. I’ve released 300 so far and there is another 100 that haven’t been released. I could release that on my own label or something. Over time I could compile an alternate record of my songs - acoustic or piano versions as opposed to the more band-like versions. There are a lot of good songs there that have been overlooked because of the time or the production."
    funny, he mentioned having a new record ready to go last night at the show here in SF, i was wondering if he was serious since he often trolls us, hopefully he is.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    funny, he mentioned having a new record ready to go last night at the show here in SF, i was wondering if he was serious since he often trolls us, hopefully he is.
    What with him performing Full Sail lately I'm laying good odds on him keeping more Day For Night holdovers for his next solo outing, is my bet. He's realized he'll never get any form of acclaim for SP works without the original band present so it looks to me like he's playing it safe and wisely putting stuff out under his own name for now.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    A member of Netphoria said he went to the London Drum Show to see Jimmy Chamberlain perform and this happened...

So I'm at the London Drum Show today to see JC perform. Being the mad-schools JC fan I am I rock up UBER early to be front and centre. JC is there, setting up his Sakae kit with some dudes in London Drum Show t-shirts.

Drum show guy asks about the Pumpkins.

JC says they're recording next year.

Drum show guy clarifies - you mean the Complex?

JC say no man, the Pumpkins. Original line up.

...I think I just came a little.

I figured they were aiming to do something for the band's 30th anniversary. They did technically form in 1988.
    Last edited by neorev; 11-11-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rushed on here to post exactly that.

Folks, we're going to be living in a world where Machina is no longer the final classic Pumpkins album.

Fuck me.

I will see some of you fine folks in the states because I am hopping whatever fucking buses I have to down there in order to be there at the first reunion performance.

Last edited by Shadaloo; 11-11-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: *classic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Controversial opinion:
    TheFutureEmbrace is an extremely underrated album that has a fair amount of really good tunes.
    That isn't a controversial opinion...that is a FACT.
    I saw him on tour for TFE, and it was a fantastic show.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    A member of Netphoria said he went to the London Drum Show to see Jimmy Chamberlain perform and this happened...

...I think I just came a little.

I figured they were aiming to do something for the band's 30th anniversary. They did technically form in 1988.
    The concept of a NEW Pumpkins album by the original band (not just Billy and his hired hands) is incredibly exciting and I can't wait to hear the first real pumpkins record since 2000, but the idea of seeing the original lineup live... that is something I've dreamed of for 20 years!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really want the band to succeed and deliver a classic fucking album. Please universe let the stars align...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    From the Joe Rogen interview, I get the vibe that Billy seeing Guns N' Roses original members getting back together and touring successfully may have inspired him somewhat to get the original Pumpkins back together.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Chinese Democracy indeed! Thank you Axl!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    If true, then there is your worldwide festival headliner throughout 2018 & 2019.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    If true, then there is your worldwide festival headliner throughout 2018 & 2019.
    I just hope it won't be too hard to buy tickets. I imagine that interest and demand will likely be high with all four original memebers reuniting, but then again, SP aren't anywhere near as relevant/popular as they used to be 15-20 years ago and the previous "reunion" in 2007 may have soured a lot of people on the band. But yeah, it will be BIG news and I think you may be right about them being festival headliners throughout 2018 & 2019. They will need some decent new material to not seem like a nostalgia act, though.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I regret not going to see them in 2013 when they were finishing Oceania tour in Europe. (I had some logistical issues). I imagine tickets will be more expensive and hard to get the next time they come anywhere close to me.
    I'm glad to see they're going to record new music though. I was afraid the reunion tour is gonna be a Gish/Siamese/MCIS circlejerk with Ava and SIYL thrown in. Hopefully they'll play something from SP2/3 as well.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'll take anything from Gish to Machina. Anything from after should be few and far between. This is about the original line up. What they have done and what they will do together. Billy can honestly just keep that other stuff to his solo tours. I can take Superchrist and Tiberius and leave the rest. Perhaps the original band could rework the later stuff. I would love to hear Tiberius drums all JC-ified.

When I saw them during their co-Manson Elegy tour, Billy picked the worse of Elegy tracks to include.

Without JC in the studio, that drive is just not there that gives SP songs their edge. With out Iha, the atmosphere that wraps around Billy's riffs is gone. This gives me hope for a proper Machina reissue, probably wait til 2020 for its anniversary.

Billy and co. have tons of unreleased material including live concerts. They should just create their own Pumpkins streaming service and give paying fans access to everything.
    Last edited by neorev; 11-12-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    That isn't a controversial opinion...that is a FACT.
    I saw him on tour for TFE, and it was a fantastic show.
    I'm conditioned by 12 years of it being dismissed as forgettable. And the person most directly responsible for that is Billy, for announcing he wanted SP to reunite the same fucking day it came out. :P Only in the last few years have I really come around to putting it in rotation, and for my money, if I listened to it without knowledge of branding, it might have more legitimacy as a "Pumpkins album" than a lot of what followed, though I in no way categorize it as such.

It's also probably a better Depeche Mode album than Depeche Mode put out these days >_>

I wouldn't object to seeing a number of post-2000 SP tracks trotted out if the band can agree on ones they like. There's some good stuff scattered down the path.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This news got me on a Pumpkins kick for the first time in a long time.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I just hope that if they go in the studio to record like Billy hopes, they do not hire Rick Rubin as producer. They need someone closer to the band. Butch Vig could work, but I'd prefer Flood. It needs to feel like a family reunion in that studio. No outsiders or strangers.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I just hope that if they go in the studio to record like Billy hopes, they do not hire Rick Rubin as producer. They need someone closer to the band. Butch Vig could work, but I'd prefer Flood. It needs to feel like a family reunion in that studio. No outsiders or strangers.
    I had not given any consideration to what producer(s) might be involved prior to reading your post, but I could not agree more. Here's hoping for Butch Vig or Flood, but preferably Flood! Rick Rubin is a good producer and everything (and as a recent review of Ogilala pointed out, he's known for encouraging bands to get back to their roots and make return-to-form albums), but I think the family reunion environment you described would be more appropriate and more likely to produce favorable results.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I have a feeling it's gonna be Rick Rubin but Flood would be fucking cool

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I'd lay odds on Flood if he's available. I'm worried Billy might have burned his bridges with Butch Vig, who'd be my first choice.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Part of me hopes a reunion show will kick off with I Am One like the 1999 Arising shows - sort of like a "fuck yeah we're back" thing

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'll take anything from Gish to Machina. Anything from after should be few and far between. This is about the original line up. What they have done and what they will do together. Billy can honestly just keep that other stuff to his solo tours. I can take Superchrist and Tiberius and leave the rest. Perhaps the original band could rework the later stuff. I would love to hear Tiberius drums all JC-ified.

When I saw them during their co-Manson Elegy tour, Billy picked the worse of Elegy tracks to include.

Without JC in the studio, that drive is just not there that gives SP songs their edge. With out Iha, the atmosphere that wraps around Billy's riffs is gone. This gives me hope for a proper Machina reissue, probably wait til 2020 for its anniversary.

Billy and co. have tons of unreleased material including live concerts. They should just create their own Pumpkins streaming service and give paying fans access to everything.
    I thought One and All was pretty fucking good with Jimmy drumming.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I thought One and All was pretty fucking good with Jimmy drumming.
    Jimmy's drumming definitely did help improve One And All, but the song itself is just too repetitive. Same for Being Beige, just too repetitive. I'd prefer Tiberius and Monuments, which I felt were stronger album tracks. People mock Run To Me, but I honestly think it's one of the stronger tracks that has a nice build up and thought it translated well live, especially with JC. I never liked Drum + Fife, so even with JC on drums couldn't save it for me.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    While getting a new album from the original lineup sounds like a wet dream come true, if I have to listen to Billy tell me how strange his love is one more time I swear to Christ...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I’ve said it many times before, and I’ll say it once again, life’s a bummer when you’re a hummer.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    While getting a new album from the original lineup sounds like a wet dream come true, if I have to listen to Billy tell me how strange his love is one more time I swear to Christ...
    Motherfucker needs to put his copy of Music For The Masses the fuck down. You could make a drinking game out of SP works and have that as a drinkable occurrence at this point. "Take a shot every time he talks about "His love". Three shots if it's strange."

Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I’ve said it many times before, and I’ll say it once again, life’s a bummer when you’re a hummer.
    It really is. Life's a drag.

That honestly is one of my favorite Pumpkins quotes.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I wish they would reissue a standard edition of Mellon Collie on vinyl without all the bonus stuff for a normal price. Also, anyone know why Siamese Dream is so expensive? Amazon, Best Buy, BN all have it in the $40-$50 range, while Gish, Adore, and Pisces seem to be more normally priced around $20ish.
    Last edited by imail724; 12-08-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I wish they would reissue a standard edition of Mellon Collie on vinyl without all the bonus stuff for a normal price. Also, anyone know why Siamese Dream is so expensive? Amazon, Best Buy, BN all have it in the $40-$50 range, while Gish, Adore, and Pisces seem to be more normally priced around $20ish.
    It's like that everywhere. This is an instance where I point the finger at the label or BC himself.

Recent BC updates (not SP):

-He's working on another solo album, tentatively called '666'. Recording in Nashville with Howard Willing apparently producing, which fills me with no confidence.

-Also apparently releasing a studio performance of an Ogilala set to video called 'Neath The Darkest Eaves.