Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 3060

Thread: Nine Inch Nails - 2014 Tour Discussion/Speculation

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Well we all know what @Javra likes now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I do LOVE blip blips.
    Got a bit carried in my explanations but what I mainly wanted to say is that just by looking at the gear he has on stage you can kind of think they are more things on tape on this tour. And that from what I see they're isn't much getting "triggered", and less things getting "tweaked" on this tour.

(Didn't really get what / why I should fix a link, changed the first image link in case that was it ...)
    Last edited by Javra; 03-02-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Can somebody explain why they use actual cassette tapes? It's 2014, what is this fuckery?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Can somebody explain why they use actual cassette tapes? It's 2014, what is this fuckery?
    Pro musicians have never really stopped using cassettes to do rugged, portable multi-track recording and playback. They hold four discrete tracks of audio, at higher speeds they don't sound too bad, plus they're dirt fucking cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Javra View Post
    As much as I love Alessandro, his work and what he brings to the live version of NIN, I highly doubt he "triggers" much in the live perfomance (beside the drum pads)
    Poor choice of words on my part... the start of each song is cued offstage, and backing tracks are fed with it. That's why you can hear click tracks before the intro of some songs in the Studio Coast recordings on RITC. You're probably right that there are less on the TASCAM machine now, but the 2009 arrangements had a bunch of introductory sequencing cued by Trent's touch controller, which would then cut out after the count-in started and the backing took over.
    Last edited by botley; 03-02-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Crap. Stop the show. Anybody have a pencil handy?

(and yes I know these are better cassettes than that, but it still made me laugh).

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Pro musicians have never really stopped using cassettes to do rugged, portable multi-track recording and playback. They hold four discrete tracks of audio, at higher speeds they don't sound too bad, plus they're dirt fucking cheap.
    So it's just personal preference? Wouldn't a few flash drives with some FLAC be preferable? I doubt NIN is concerned with spending a few hundred on a bunch of high capacity digital media.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    So it's just personal preference? Wouldn't a few flash drives with some FLAC be preferable? I doubt NIN is concerned with spending a few hundred on a bunch of high capacity digital media.
    Yeah, but Ally obviously likes analogue better.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I do LOVE blip blips.
    (Didn't really get what / why I should fix a link, changed the first image link in case that was it ...)
    Yeah, having seen the original link I don't get it either. Only thing I could figure would be getting the wrong impression from the name of the URL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well numeric is used by 99.9% of the pros when it comes to recording, portable setup or not.
    I think here it comes down to their particular sound (depends heavily of the cassette and tape player) and the idea of having a constant flow of sound that you bring up or down compared to launching samples. Not sure if he also plays with the speeding/slowing effect you can get with a cassette.
    I think it's a really cool and interesting approach like "okay I have 4 moving soundscapes per song that I can bring when I want they define my sound palette but I can mix and alter them as I want and I can't be 100% sure of how they're going to sound when I bring them up"

Also aly mentionned that he got the idea while playing with hurt having 1 chord on each track and bringing them up / down instead of playing them on a standart keyboard

@botley You mean like in the WG version of Burn ? (Or the Echoplex version of LITS) or more like a drone that would cut at the start of the song ?
    Last edited by Javra; 03-02-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    "Burn" and "Echoplex", yes, also the early (pre-WG) 2009 versions of "Terrible Lie" and "1,000,000" that started with Trent sequencing loops.

It is pretty brilliant to have a four-track machine onstage and mix those four channels in and out to get a playable tactile feel from pre-recorded drones. IIRC that's how Pink Floyd did the introduction to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" using wine glass drones in the studio.
    Last edited by botley; 03-02-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh right I see (Mr Self Destruct in the WG shows also then). Even if that's cool it feels much more like an intro then anything to me.
    Yeah I think it's a really interesting approach, he might also use it for pads or more melodic things on some songs.
    The choice of hardware tapes might also be related to the whole "limitation and concrete instruments leads to creativity" approach

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Check the Sydney, Australia threads in upcoming shows. I have 2 spare tickets for the first one and 1 spare ticket for the second one.
    Last edited by Ryan; 03-03-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I mean, pre-recording all instruments and just laying down the vocals live (through a tuner) would sound even better. Sometimes purity isn't the best approach.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Yeah, having seen the original link I don't get it either. Only thing I could figure would be getting the wrong impression from the name of the URL.
    Before you fixed it, the link re-directed to a NSFW image.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Doubt it actually did. (Checked a few times)
    Is it just that the image comes from a synth forum that you could consider has a kinda NSFWish name ?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Before you fixed it, the link re-directed to a NSFW image.
    I clicked it before he fixed it. Since I'm getting email notifications of posts to this topic since I subscribed to it, I still had the email with the original post and clicked the link from there and saw nothing dirty.

I feel ripped off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, some might find those sweet tapes pretty hot

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Doubt it actually did. (Checked a few times)
    Is it just that the image comes from a synth forum that you could consider has a kinda NSFWish name ?
    It was an image of what appeared to be a pregnant woman's breasts. And this is spiralling off topic.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I clicked it before he fixed it. Since I'm getting email notifications of posts to this topic since I subscribed to it, I still had the email with the original post and clicked the link from there and saw nothing dirty.

I feel ripped off.
    Idk why I got a "redirect" warning on chrome, followed by the link redirecting to a chick popping out of her bra (as mentioned by sheepdan)... wtf internet?

Anyway, I don't know shit about the tech side of a live NIN show (tapes, loops, stuff, things, Anything Ally touches ever on stage) so I wish I could contribute more to the convo, but I'm learning a lot, so that's cool.

I just wish they'd play his remix of The Great Destroyer. I mean, I am SO HAPPY they're playing that song again, and hope it stays in rotation enough that when they come back to the states I have a chance to finally see it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Judging by Alessandro’s retweet of this, we can conclude that muffwiggler.com is indeed legit.

Oh well, it sounded promising there for a moment.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I don't like that they still have Ilan playing piano in MOTP ('doesn't it make you feel better' part), despite Ally being back in the band.
    This song fucking needs that drum hit right before TR says 'Doesn't...', and now (and ever since 2009) it's not there since Ilan is running to the keyboard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes , i'm greedy , but wake me when US tour is announced , i'm guessing should be soon..

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So I think I'm doomed never to see a proper elaborate NIN show

http://thequietus.com/articles/14651...reznor-grammys

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post

Totally ready for the facepalms here - but to be honest, I feel slightly conned - I invited friends along to this on the basis of 'look at this amazing show that NIN put on', referencing both Tension and LITS, and on the back of TR himself saying they'd be coming over with 'all the trimmings' on Zane Lowe's show, just before tickets went on sale (I think that was the timing anyway, certainly before and not after we bought tickets. Coincidence? I think not).

Don't get me wrong, I will undoubtedly still have the time of my life, but I now feel like I've kind of conned two friends into going on the basis of 'most elaborate show you'll ever see' - they're fans, but not 'sit on ETS for two hours a day' types...and to be honest, all three of us really wanted to experience something that ticked both musical and visual boxes. Leaves a slightly sour taste.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Totally ready for the facepalms here - but to be honest, I feel slightly conned - I invited friends along to this on the basis of 'look at this amazing show that NIN put on', referencing both Tension and LITS, and on the back of TR himself saying they'd be coming over with 'all the trimmings' on Zane Lowe's show, just before tickets went on sale (I think that was the timing anyway, certainly before and not after we bought tickets. Coincidence? I think not).

Don't get me wrong, I will undoubtedly still have the time of my life, but I now feel like I've kind of conned two friends into going on the basis of 'most elaborate show you'll ever see' - they're fans, but not 'sit on ETS for two hours a day' types...and to be honest, all three of us really wanted to experience something that ticked both musical and visual boxes. Leaves a slightly sour taste.
    I feel the same. Trent's promises - lol. And they spent an entire month arseing about for that pointless Grammys performance. What a waste

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post

I'm prepared for the facepalms here as well, but...this IS your fault. You promised your friends something that you didn't actually KNOW you were going to get (Trent saying "all the trimmings" didn't mean full Tension production). You might have done a bit more research as well, since both Lights In The Sky and Tension productions never left the Americas and the shows in Europe are usually more stripped down in terms of production. Not trying to be an asshole about it, but blaming Trent is kind of silly.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

NIN-Spotting 2014

Yeah, I kinda wonder if the Japan production is the same thing they'll bring down to South America. To tens of thousands of people at a time. On festivals. Which are broadcast to the world then uploaded to YouTube.

It reminds me of how they originally planned to "wing it" on the first reunion shows until they heard they were headlining the same festivals as the likes of Beyoncé, and "Beyoncé's not gonna wing it", so they came up with that really really awesome festival production. Not LITS-level, but still blowing every other act out of the water.

If they bring that exact same festival production to South America, I'll be very happy. I don't care if it's a repeat, it looked great and provided some setlist variety.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'm prepared for the facepalms here as well, but...this IS your fault. You promised your friends something that you didn't actually KNOW you were going to get (Trent saying "all the trimmings" didn't mean full Tension production). You might have done a bit more research as well, since both Lights In The Sky and Tension productions never left the Americas and the shows in Europe are usually more stripped down in terms of production. Not trying to be an asshole about it, but blaming Trent is kind of silly.
    So what you're saying is we've been disappointed internationally so many times that we should just be used to it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Yeah, I kinda wonder if the Japan production is the same thing they'll bring down to South America. To tens of thousands of people at a time. On festivals. Which are broadcast to the world then uploaded to YouTube.

It reminds me of how they originally planned to "wing it" on the first reunion shows until they heard they were headlining the same festivals as the likes of Beyoncé, and "Beyoncé's not gonna wing it", so they came up with that really really awesome festival production. Not LITS-level, but still blowing every other act out of the water.

If they bring that exact same festival production to South America, I'll be very happy. I don't care if it's a repeat, it looked great and provided some setlist variety.
    If they brought something of the festival production level to the UK I'd be very happy too. It doesn't have to be Tension or the 8 piece band, just something a bit special and not just white strobe lights that were actively irritating like in 2009, especially as they are playing arenas where a load of people will have crap views and not be able to see the band playing. (I'm just relieved that I got presale tickets so I'm close to the stage)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    So what you're saying is we've been disappointed internationally so many times that we should just be used to it.
    Yes. Sorry if that's a bitter pill to swallow, but it's the truth. Trent has never (to my knowledge) brought full production over to Europe on the tours that had full production, so why would you expect it? Because Trent makes some vague comment that boils down to the same thing that all bands say when they're embarking on a tour ("We're bringing it! Fuck yeah!")? You can be mad that he doesn't EVER bring it over, but to be mad about something he never promised in the first place is a bit ridiculous.