Page 46 of 77 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 2288

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I put maybe 3 of the songs on one of the playlists on my iPhone. Even those weren't outstanding. The album as a whole is boring and forgettable for me personally. The songs I added had some elements I liked, but I wouldn't say any of them were great all the way through.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Well, no, not the whole tour...there's just NO WAY to keep up with the tour buses on Greyhound, lol.

So THIS is my current itinerary, but I'm willing to shoot for more along the way:

April 11th Los Angeles, CA @ Golden Gods Awards
    April 27th Providence, RI @ Lupo’s At The Strand
    April 29th Huntington, NY @ Paramount Theatre
    May 1st Silver Spring, MD @ Fillmore
    May 5th Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE
    May 8th Des Moines, IA @ Val Air Ballroom
    May 9th Sioux Falls, SD @ W.H. Lyons Fair Grounds
    May 11th Dallas, TX @ House Of Blues
    May 12th San Antonio, TX @ Sunken Gardens
    May 16th Kansas City, MO @ Uptown Theatre
    May 18th Minneapolis, MN @ The Myth
    May 19th Milwaukee, WI @ Eagles Ballroom
    May 20th Columbus, OH Rock On The Range

Except I'm doing it super-cheap. Bought the tickets months ago (almost done paying 'em off!), got a two-month Greyhound Discovery Pass just in time for the GGAs, and I've been working my ass off to have a LITTLE extra cash on hand along the way for the rest since then. Easy!

I've done it a bunch these last few years, I'm really good at doing it all on a shoestring budget now.

\m/

And, yes, I meant logging into iTunes and losing tracks I don't technically "own."

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    And, yes, I meant logging into iTunes and losing tracks I don't technically "own."
    if i understand your dilemma correctly: easy enough fix for that- just make sure your itunes isn't sent to automatically sync from the computer and it shouldn't wipe anything else you put on it from different sources. "manually manage ipod" box should be checked. if you need to grab anything from the ipod that you got elsewhere (other people's computers, etc.) to back up on your harddrive/itunes, there are plenty of third party apps for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So... can we all be friends again?

Maybe y'all gotta LAY DOWN YOUR GODDAMN ARMS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Well, no, not the whole tour...there's just NO WAY to keep up with the tour buses on Greyhound, lol.

So THIS is my current itinerary, but I'm willing to shoot for more along the way:

April 11th Los Angeles, CA @ Golden Gods Awards
    April 27th Providence, RI @ Lupo’s At The Strand
    April 29th Huntington, NY @ Paramount Theatre
    May 1st Silver Spring, MD @ Fillmore
    May 5th Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE
    May 8th Des Moines, IA @ Val Air Ballroom
    May 9th Sioux Falls, SD @ W.H. Lyons Fair Grounds
    May 11th Dallas, TX @ House Of Blues
    May 12th San Antonio, TX @ Sunken Gardens
    May 16th Kansas City, MO @ Uptown Theatre
    May 18th Minneapolis, MN @ The Myth
    May 19th Milwaukee, WI @ Eagles Ballroom
    May 20th Columbus, OH Rock On The Range

Except I'm doing it super-cheap. Bought the tickets months ago (almost done paying 'em off!), got a two-month Greyhound Discovery Pass just in time for the GGAs, and I've been working my ass off to have a LITTLE extra cash on hand along the way for the rest since then. Easy!

I've done it a bunch these last few years, I'm really good at doing it all on a shoestring budget now.

\m/

i thought i remembered you from before! yeah you usually do the tour thing. i always thought you were just really rich lol
    if he came close to NC, i'd seriously consider going to see him, but he isn't. hasn't in a while. Atlanta has been the closest. sucks because when i was younger, he came to my city, Charlotte, a few times. Charlotte sucks for catching known bands on tour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax Mr. L View Post
    I've now listened Born Villain twice through and I think it's okay. The title track was soundwise the most interesting and the other standout tracks on this album in my opinion are "Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day" and "Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms". Things I didn't like in this album are the guitar playing/monotonous riffs in some songs, which makes me wonder how it could have sounded with John 5. Also the lyrics weren't that good. I'm sure I won't be rushing to buy this cd on the release date, but I think I'll buy it when it's on sale. Oh, and I made an alternative cover for Born Villain while I was listening to it.
    I'm thinking about along the same lines as you. Thanks for the alt. cover, just what I was looking for!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    So... can we all be friends again?

Maybe y'all gotta LAY DOWN YOUR GODDAMN ARMS.
    You did not just say that. I reject this totally. Despite the quote box in this very post, it simply did not happen.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I'm not trying to join the attack Harry train or anything but I HIGHLY recommend you listen to a full Beatles album before you pass judgment based on hearing them everywhere. I really think it'll change your opinion. It did mine. Do me a favor and download Sgt.pepper and give it a shot.
    I don't think it counts as an 'attack' if you phrase your response in such a polite manner. Matter of fact, I think I will give that album a spin, just because you asked nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by antiskum View Post
    but put your hypersensitive beatles defending knee-jerk reactions to the side for a moment (fuck, like anyone really needs to defend the beatles). you misinterpreted me, and my point remains valid. why the fuck is anyone bothering to bring up the beatles in any sort of comparative way? it's pointless to try and compare them to virtually any band, let alone someone as culturally and artistically relevant as marilyn manson.
    Funny enough, my original comment about the Beatles had nothing to do with Manson. I would never, ever try to imply that Manson was more culturally or artistically relevant than them.

Anyways, here is what I think of the album.

So this is my second listen, and my first listen while paying any real attention.

Hey, Cruel World... - Helicopter propellors. Fuzz. Unintimidating intro. Pow, turn it up to 11 and start the show. Manson isn't fucking around. Catchy chorus. Manson belting out a hell of a scream towards the end. [9/10]

No Reflection - Another catchy chorus. Wailing. Music complements the vocals greatly. [8/10]

Pistol Whipped - Intro too long and annoying. Bass line sets the mood nicely. Manson has great delivery. Higher-pitched backing vocals sound great. Cock-cock-cock cock it. Some mediocre lyrics, but the delivery makes up for it, especially coupled with that bass line. Drum machine is somewhat annoying. [8/10]

Overneath The Path Of Misery - Gnarly intro. Very 'Portrait'. Better lyrics. Music is excellent. This song would sound so much better with a real drum kit. "I can never leave." Fantastic wailing delivery. He was right, this sounds much better than the version we heard before. [9/10]

Slo-mo-tion - More funky bass. At first, I didn't think the delivery fit the music, but the contrast is somewhat refreshing. Another song that would sound better with real drums. Manson's delivery is straight up 'Eat Me, Drink Me'. "I can't feel your tits with my brand new camera equipped with a flash." Please, no, never again. "I hate you all and somehow you find me incredibly charming." I can appreciate that. [7/10]

The Gardener - Another spoken intro. Okay then... Oh wait, it's all spoken? Alright, let's see how this goes. I appreciate the message, but the lyrics seem a bit pedestrian for Manson. I guess it's fitting that he's just speaking them, as opposed to singing. Ohhh, the chorus. I can definitely dig it. "A muse, your amusement, I am used." That's more like it. "Your book isn't burned, it was never written." His delivery of that line is just fucking awesome. [7/10]

The Flowers Of Evil - Intro is channeling 'Holy Wood', that's for sure. More superb bass. Excellent delivery of the first verse. Wow. The chorus is nice, but doesn't compare to the delivery of the verses. The music in the whole song is very 'Holy Wood'. [9/10]

Children of Cain - Interesting track. It stands out so far, not necessarily in a bad way. The delivery or vocals or music aren't all that amazing, but it sticks out to me for some reason. Maybe because it's the worst song so far? Which is strange, because I think it has the best lyrics thus far out of every song I've heard. [6/10]

Disengaged - The lyrics are nice, though I can't say I'm a huge fan of the delivery. The chorus picks it back up nicely. The worst track on the album so far, still pretty good though. [6/10]

Lay Down Your God Damn Arms - Manson sounds a bit 'slurry' singing this one. The chorus is excellent. Not a huge fan of the delivery in the verses. Overall, mostly 'meh'. [7/10]

Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day - Damn. Wow. Fuck. Christ. [10/10]

Born Villain - Interesting intro to a song. Almost sounds like a rap song. The "become become become" bit is fantastic, but it is definitely helped out by that bass line. The music in this song really sticks out so far, it's amazing. Very good. [9/10]

Breaking The Same Old Ground - I dig the music-box intro. Can't say I dig much else. Seems to be a staple 'slow, emotional' Manson track. I like the music a lot, but Manson's vocals and delivery don't do much for me. Lyrics are pretty mediocre overall. [6/10]

Overall: I'm fairly impressed. Out of Manson's lyrics, vocals, and the music - the music is easily the strong point. Manson's delivery was changed up a bit from song to song, and it was very refreshing. I expect a lot better out of him lyrically, so I wasn't quite as impressed as I'd like to have been in that aspect. Averaging out my scores and rounding up, we get [8/10]. Good shit.

I think I just needed something good out of Manson after 'The High End Of Low'. That may be the reason I'm so impressed with this. We'll see how I feel in a few months when the honeymoon phase wears off.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I don't think it counts as an 'attack' if you phrase your response in such a polite manner. Matter of fact, I think I will give that album a spin, just because you asked nicely.
    Jesus Christ... you haven't even listened to Sgt Pepper, but you offer your dumbass opinion as if you have any fucking idea what you're talking about.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Murderers is very fucking heavy. Me likes! I'm mostly whatever about the album. Better than Eat Me, Drink Me. I'd say about even with THEOL.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Jesus Christ... you haven't even listened to Sgt Pepper, but you offer your dumbass opinion as if you have any fucking idea what you're talking about.
    Perfect example of a post which has no value other than acting smug or 'attacking' someone.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Perfect example of a post which has no value other than acting smug or 'attacking' someone.
    Sure, while I point out exactly WHY your opinion is uninformed and fucking useless. Cry about it.

Or you could revise your stance to "While I claim to like rock music, I haven't even bothered to listen to what is commonly considered to be the greatest rock album ever made. I can't be bothered. However, I will talk shit about it."
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-25-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Sure, while I point out exactly WHY your opinion is uninformed and fucking useless. Cry about it.

Or you could revise your stance to "While I claim to like rock music, I haven't even bothered to listen to what is commonly considered to be the greatest rock album ever made. I can't be bothered. However, I will talk shit about it."
    I've heard many, many Beatles songs. I used to have a close friend who was pretty obsessed with them and was constantly playing their music around me. I'll admit I haven't sat through an album fully, but I've heard enough that I wouldn't consider my opinion baseless.

Even if I listened to the entire discography and said I thought they were shit, you wouldn't give a fuck because you're incomprehensibly butthurt over this for some damn reason. I think you need to relax a little. I don't like the Beatles. I'm not the devil. Calm down, it'll be okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How Pistol Whipped gets 8/10 is a mystery to me. It's more like 5/10. You're a fuckin' pistol and I'm fuckin' pistol whipped... lame. Also how will I ever get over how much the verses sound like Evidence?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babali View Post
    How Pistol Whipped gets 8/10 is a mystery to me. It's more like 5/10. You're a fuckin' pistol and I'm fuckin' pistol whipped... lame. Also how will I ever get over how much the verses sound like Evidence?
    Like I said, the lyrics were pretty subpar. I just dig the way Manson sings the verses. Plus, Evidence might be my favorite song on that album.

Either way, this was only my second listen so my views will probably change for better and for worse, depending on what sticks and what I get sick of.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Pistol Whipped has a neat name like I said but the song sucks. After another listen only songs I really enjoy are

Slo-mo-tion
    Overneath the Path of Misery
    Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms
    Born Villain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like I said, the lyrics were pretty subpar. I just dig the way Manson sings the verses. Plus, Evidence might be my favorite song on that album.

Either way, this was only my second listen so my views will probably change for better and for worse, depending on what sticks and what I get sick of.
    I also love Evidence but I think it's a better song than Pistol. The chorus is really uninteresting, although I can enjoy it I guess. It's still a boring song to me and Slo-Mo-Tion is much better. Slo-Mo-Tion is maybe my favorite so far.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I also love Evidence but I think it's a better song than Pistol. The chorus is really uninteresting, although I can enjoy it I guess. It's still a boring song to me and Slo-Mo-Tion is much better. Slo-Mo-Tion is maybe my favorite so far.
    Evidence is surely much better. In fact, I don't think any of the songs on this album are better than any songs on Eat Me, Drink Me.

My ratings for this album were meant to be in a vacuum. If I were to compare it to some of my favorite albums, it would have a considerably lower score.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I am glad the us version isnt getting that cover, that cover and johnny depp equally suck hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Disengaged is prob the only one i can currently personally relate to since i just went through a rough break up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Pistol Whipped has a neat name like I said but the song sucks. After another listen only songs I really enjoy are

Slo-mo-tion
    Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms
    Born Villain
    Still, to have 4 new enjoyable Manson songs from this record isn't that bad and better than I was expecting.

I still haven't gotten through it all but I am enjoying:
    No Reflection
    Slo-Mo-Tion
    The Gardener
    The Flowers of Evil
    Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day

I haven't heard Children of Cain, Disengaged, Lay Down, Born Villain or Breaking The Same Old Ground yet. Lay Down sounded like I'll enjoy it from the previews I heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finished listening to the whole thing, I think Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms is the best song on the album. Sounds most classic Manson to me. And to make it even more perfect he didn't end it singing the chorus a-capella like he seemed to do with almost all the others.

This is my rating of the entire album, including You're So Vain: 71%

Edit: w/o You're So Vain: 75% "I had some dreams there were clowns in my coffee!"
    Last edited by Babali; 04-25-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    "I had some dreams there were clowns in my coffee!"
    (That'd be Spoiler: clouds.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah twas a joke lol

Anyway I just rated EMDM and THEOL using this new little rating system I came up with for Born Villain:

THEOL: 87%
    EMDM: 88%

So BV scored lower than them(71-75%) but maybe I'll have to review it again in a year when it has grown on me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    LOL @ youre so vain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can someone PM a link to me?

- c.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Id have to say this is the worst Manson album on par with Eat me.

Ive been into Manson since i saw them open for NIN on the Self Destruct tour back in 94.. speaking of self destruction. This album is a cash in. Twiggy said its the best they have done..not even close!

No memorable chorus, bass lines, keboards, lyrics, guitar riffs, or drum beats (minus the NIN ripped "You know what you are" drums on Murderers....).

Title track has a decent guitar strum.. thats about it. These song drone on and go nowhere.

His newer vocal style sounds like someone is shaking him while hes trying to belt out lyrics... sounds terrible.

This album is not fun (Mechanical Animals, Portriat, Golden Age), and certainly not dark (Antichirst, Holywood). This album is a bland piece of shit. High End of the low had far better songs on it. Nothing here is better than Four Rusted Horses, Leave a scar, or Running to the edge of the world. Not even close.

If you think this album is even a 5/10, you are kidding yourself.
    Last edited by drekati; 04-25-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm not starting an argument I'm just wondering to most naysayers:

What do you want this man to sound or do to please you these days?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I'm not starting an argument I'm just wondering to most naysayers:

What do you want this man to sound or do to please you these days?
    They want him to be 1996 Manson and put out an album produced by Trent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Go back to 1996 Manson or with Trent?? Not at all. I understand artist need to grow. I thought High End of the Low was a decent album.

What I would like to see is Manson put some heart and passion into it.... Seen Manson live recently? His performances are unfocused and a cash in as much as this album is.

Put it this way, I use to travel across the nation to see Manson. Today i wouldn't go if he was playing in my local venue.
    Last edited by drekati; 04-25-2012 at 05:40 PM.