Page 7 of 99 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN with Soundgarden - summer 2014 amphitheatre NA tour

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Soundgarden's Head Down > NIN's Head Down

I loved Soundgarden when I was 13. So I checked out the lastest album when it came out. King animal isn't a great album. It sounds like Soundgarden, yes, but it feels uninspired. I only listened a few times before giving up on any connection. That said I saw SG last year and they sounded great. They played a 1200 seat venue and it was packed. Cornell seemed peeved that no one cared about KA but otherwise played a good set. They opened with spoonman. No rusty cage. The visuals were lame.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Go see NIN at a festival where the rest of the days entertainment includes Kendrick Lamar and Mackelmore and the previous nights headliner was Beyoncé and then we can talk awkward.
    I don't think this is as awkward as a bunch of Fall Out Boy fans (seriously, why???) absolutely lapping up their shit, then totally indifferent to NIN at Reading festival

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thom25 View Post
    The Axis at Planet Hollywood is where Brittney Spears is the resident performer. I heard they took out a ton of seats to accommodate her "set", but there are plenty of open dates for the theater, all of which are mid-week.
    I wish they were doing amphitheatres with Britney. At least then they would be touring with someone who has a modicum of talent.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I wish they were doing amphitheatres with Britney. At least then they would be touring with someone who has a modicum of talent.
    Are you saying that Spears has more talent than Soundgarden?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Are you saying that Spears has more talent than Soundgarden?
    Absolutely. Defining figure in pop music vs generic 90s rock. You do the math.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Absolutely. Defining figure in pop music vs generic 90s rock. You do the math.
    I was in the middle of writing a lengthy reply when I decided not to--your post is just too absurd to really take seriously.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This thread is full of great laughs. Couple points of perspective:

1) 100% there is a Soundgarden board/thread somewhere that mirrors the complaints and narrow-mindedness of this one (including the resident troll pulling up targeted critical reviews of Hesitation Marks).

2) I wonder how our friends from overseas will react to North American fans complaining about NIN co-headlining a show with a band they don't enjoy; when they, for the most part, need to shell out equal if not more money to see a 45-60 minute NIN set with Eminem.

Digressions aside, I'm intrigued by this tour. I have never latched onto Soundgarden but have a very good friend who worshipped Kim Thayil when he was younger. I've listened to King Animal with him and it didn't jump out at me. Gonna give the catalogue another spin if this rumour holds up.

Definitely going to give the tour a shot given I missed out on NINJA here in TO, and decided (stupidity I might add) that the Wave Goodbye Virgin Festival wasn't my thing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
    This thread is full of great laughs. Couple points of perspective:

1) 100% there is a Soundgarden board/thread somewhere that mirrors the complaints and narrow-mindedness of this one (including the resident troll pulling up targeted critical reviews of Hesitation Marks).

2) I wonder how our friends from overseas will react to North American fans complaining about NIN co-headlining a show with a band they don't enjoy; when they, for the most part, need to shell out equal if not more money to see a 45-60 minute NIN set with Eminem.

Digressions aside, I'm intrigued by this tour. I have never latched onto Soundgarden but have a very good friend who worshipped Kim Thayil when he was younger. I've listened to King Animal with him and it didn't jump out at me. Gonna give the catalogue another spin if this rumour holds up.

Definitely going to give the tour a shot given I missed out on NINJA here in TO, and decided (stupidity I might add) that the Wave Goodbye Virgin Festival wasn't my thing.
    Good points. With regard to King Animal, it's a "grower" IMHO. I felt that it was sort of by-the-numbers Soundgarden at first, but I started to really get into it with repeated plays.

I hope that NIN/SG aren't playing Mansfield on 8/15, as that's when I'm seeing Tori Amos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Would it not be safe to assume 2 nights at RED ROCKS (capacity 9,500) Every other venue outside of Las Vegas is in the 20,000 or more range. Definitely interested in flying in for 2 nights at Red Rocks and purchasing some legal THC infused edibles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Good points. With regard to King Animal, it's a "grower" IMHO. I felt that it was sort of by-the-numbers Soundgarden at first, but I started to really get into it with repeated plays.
    Totally agree. Today's culture just calls something a classic or a dud after one listen. Really a grower and I like it a lot better than Down on the Upside. The last 3 tracks on the album are awesome.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Poor Down on the Upside. A lot of people seem to view it as a letdown. When I saw Soundgarden last year they only played one song from it. I thought it was good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The hard part of this is having to compete with Soundgarden fans for tix/rail spots. It's hard enough with one headliner. And being in a crowd with split affections is not as much fun as a unified crowd. NINJA is not a very fond memory. At least in August, it should be warm enough.

Gotta find some amusement parks on route to make the travel more fun. Rye Playland, Canobie, Lake Compounce...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Meh, regardless of their issues fuck it. Soundgarden are supporting nails right ?That says it all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Oh, and about the bad Illinois venue: the bands don't pick where they play. Doesn't matter what Trent's view on this is. The promoter, who in this case looks to be Live Nation (not sure yet though), routes the tour. And they're not going to skip a huge market like Chicago. There may be other outdoor venues, but Live Nation might own the one you're referring too, hence the tour going through there....keep the $ in house.
    Live Nation owns First Midwest Bank Ampitheater, & "operates" FirstMerit Bank Pavilion. (the Chicago Park District owns the land)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I’m not sure why people are so sure Soundgarden will be co-headlining. Here are some facts.

In 2011, Soundgarden had not toured in 13 years. That should have made for crazy demand once they reunited. However, upon their return in July 2011, they only managed one months’ worth of gigs in larger venues (the kind NIN is currently playing).

After going overseas for a bit, and releasing a new album (hello, ticket sales, right???), they played for about three months (off and on from November 2012 to May 2013) in small venues in some of North America’s largest cities. Places like the Phoenix in Toronto, the Fonda in L.A., Terminal 5 in NYC, the DAR Constitution Hall in D.C. and the Tabernacle in Atlanta. This was no 10-concert, three-city vanity tour like NIN’s Wave Goodbye. This was three months, across North America, after releasing a brand-new album, and still “fresh” from a 13-year-long touring absence.

This is not a band that TR holds close to his heart, that he would elevate to co-headlining status because of mutual respect. If it truly happens, with trading opening/closing slots, they better be playing Superunknown in full like they are at SXSW iTunes. That’s the only reason I can think of that they might pull in enough ticket sales to earn the spot.
    Last edited by jessamineny; 03-08-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I was in the middle of writing a lengthy reply when I decided not to--your post is just too absurd to really take seriously.
    What's so absurd about wanting NIN to tour with an act that can actually sing?
    Last edited by slave2thewage; 03-08-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    NIN and Sound Garden to come to the Woodlands pavilion Houston, TX date TBA. Sis works there

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I’m not sure why people are so sure Soundgarden will be co-headlining. Here are some facts. In 2011, Soundgarden had not toured in 13 years. That should have made for crazy demand once they reunited. However, upon their return in July 2011, they only managed one months’ worth of gigs in larger venues (the kind NIN is currently playing). After going overseas for a bit, and releasing a new album (hello, ticket sales, right???), they played for about three months (off and on from November 2012 to May 2013) in small venues in some of North America’s largest cities. Places like the Phoenix in Toronto, the Fonda in L.A., Terminal 5 in NYC, the DAR Constitution Hall in D.C. and the Tabernacle in Atlanta. This was no 10-concert, three-city vanity tour like NIN’s Wave Goodbye. This was three months, across North America, after releasing a brand-new album, and still “fresh” from a 13-year-long touring absence. This is not a band that TR holds close to his heart, that he would elevate to co-headlining status because of mutual respect. If it truly happens, with trading opening/closing slots, they better be playing Superunknown in full like they are at SXSW iTunes. That’s the only reason I can think they might pull in enough ticket sales to earn the spot.
    Some good points. On the other hand, NIN have been touring and releasing music for years, maintaining a loyal fanbase. Soundgarden, on the other hand broke up in 1996. What if Soundgarden had toured/released music since the mid-90s and Trent had not toured or released music since TDS? The two bands might be in the other ones shoes.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    What so absurd about wanting NIN to tour with an act that can actually sing?
    Cornell sounds just fine, and were would Britney be without autotunes? Besides, a NIN/Britney Spears tour being the biggest mismatch since Hendrix opened for the Monkees. That's the last I'll say on such nonsense.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Cornell always sounded like a drunken goat having a stroke to me. This tour is just... weird, and such a downgrade compared to the other acts that Trent and co have toured with this year.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Soundgarden's Head Down > NIN's Head Down

I loved Soundgarden when I was 13. So I checked out the lastest album when it came out. King animal isn't a great album. It sounds like Soundgarden, yes, but it feels uninspired. I only listened a few times before giving up on any connection. That said I saw SG last year and they sounded great. They played a 1200 seat venue and it was packed. Cornell seemed peeved that no one cared about KA but otherwise played a good set. They opened with spoonman. No rusty cage. The visuals were lame.
    Yeah the visuals were INCREDIBLY lame when I saw them.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    What if Soundgarden had toured/released music since the mid-90s and Trent had not toured or released music since TDS? The two bands might be in the other ones shoes.
    I'm not sure what your point is. They didn't. They're not.

That's like saying: What if I had been born as Bill Gates? LIFE WOULD BE SO DIFFERENT

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is. They didn't. They're not.

That's like saying: What if I had been born as Bill Gates? LIFE WOULD BE SO DIFFERENT
    My point is that part of the reason why NIN is still relevant is because of constant touring/releasing music over the years and that's not the case for Soundgarden.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Amphitheater tours over arena tours all day. If the dates match up well I might go for the Jones Beach-NJ-Philly trifecta

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm glad NIN is touring with someone enjoyable for once.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    I'm glad NIN is touring with someone enjoyable for once.
    Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, QOTSA, MEW, The Horrors, Boris, Crystal Castles, HEALTH, Deerhunter, TV on The Radio, etc.

I think it's safe to say that NIN have been touring with some extremely enjoyable bands for quite some time now. Soundgarden? Not one of them.

This Soundgarden "comeback" is nothing more than a cash-grab for Cornell since his solo-career didn't pan out.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Explosions In The Sky
    Terrible

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Even more terrible

QOTSA
    Great!

HEALTH
    Terrible

Deerhunter
    Terrible

TV on The Radio
    Surprisingly good

I think it's safe to say that NIN have been touring with some extremely enjoyable bands for quite some time now.
    Nope, thats wrong.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm with @dunebug81 and @Papagolash, all those opening acts that @richardp mentioned, with the exception of QOTSA (and I wouldn't even put them high on a pedestal), are absolute GARBAGE!

I said it before, and i'll say it again.. Soungarden is the best opener Trent has had since A Perfect Circle opened the fragility tour.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Dresden Dolls, Saul Williams, Explosions in the Sky, Crystal Castles, Alec Empire, Autolux, Gary Numan, Mew, The Horrors, Bauhaus, Peaches.

Sigh, it's a shame.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Dresden Dolls, Saul Williams, Explosions in the Sky, Crystal Castles, Alec Empire, Autolux, Gary Numan, Mew, The Horrors, Bauhaus, Peaches.

Sigh, it's a shame.
    All those bands/musicians have little to no effect on ticket sales. SG will which is the point of trying to fill 20,000 seats.